Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tournament results history US Nationals &US Opens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tournament results history US Nationals &US Opens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament results history US Nationals &US Opens
    Posted: 09/10/2020 at 11:35pm
This is going to be long rambling message be fore warned. During the 5 months of down time I took up a TT history project that was inspired by a member from my club who before we would start a doubles match would state that he and his partner were 7 times National champions at Nationals/US Open tournament. So I decided to actually research this claim. Ultimately what I did was research and looked for all players in the 3 state Pacific Northwest states (Wa, Or, Id) who had won a event at either US Nationals & US Opens starting in 1976 (first year of Nationals) to present. It took 2 months to find all the tournament result information from multiple sources. The finished project is posted on the Pacific Northwest Table Tennis group FB page. Turned out the 7 time claimed winner was just a 2 time doubles winner. LOL

While I was doing the research it got me wondering (Actually was getting irritated) why hasn't the USTTA/USATT kept tournament result files for all those tournaments? All USTTA/USATT has listed on their website is the Men's, Women's, and doubles winners. What about the thousands of other players who have played and won events? Shouldn't all the winners be acknowledged? So right now as of tonight I have complete tournament event summaries for both the Nationals & US Opens from 1993 to 2019. Results for the 1976 to 1992 tournaments I still have to look up. My plan is to enter all the information into most likely Excel spreadsheet and offer it to USATT if they will post it on their website. If not then I will  post it on the PNW TT group FB page mentioned above for anyone to look up their past results. Maybe when Mts388's tells his grand kids that grandpa won a National title at the 1989 National and they don't believe him. Now  he can look it up and show them. Better yet if anyone here has won event at either of the 2 tournaments (especially before 2008) in the last 44 years try and look up the results. 
Just a FYI,  NATT recently took down their link the for the results for Nationals?Opens.     

Edited by Vince64 - 09/10/2020 at 11:49pm
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Sponsored Links

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Just a FYI,  NATT recently took down their link the for the results for Nationals?Opens.     

Well, about that part, the NATT had been contracted/assisting the USATT in running those events. USATT decided to end that relationship.

You are doing valuable work here. What about throwing the data up on a Wikipedia page? (disclaimer, I know nothing about how to do that)
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2020 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Well, about that part, the NATT had been contracted/assisting the USATT in running those events. USATT decided to end that relationship.

You are doing valuable work here. What about throwing the data up on a Wikipedia page? (disclaimer, I know nothing about how to do that)
I wouldn't know how to do that either. I would have to find someone who could do it or maybe a website where the person would click on a tab button for the year he wanted to look at.   It will months before I get to that point I'm guessing. 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 12:39am
I think it would be a great disservice not to include the runner-up in those events.  Especially those who only lost because some underrated junior who had not played in the US for over a year was allowed to cross our border and take championships away from US  citizens.  

Forget the wall with Mexico and build one up north to keep those pesky Canadian juniors out of our tournaments.

Mark -  Who dares you to guess his results in the 2010 US Open U1500.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 12:57am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I think it would be a great disservice not to include the runner-up in those events.  Especially those who only lost because some underrated junior who had not played in the US for over a year was allowed to cross our border and take championships away from US  citizens.  

Forget the wall with Mexico and build one up north to keep those pesky Canadian juniors out of our tournaments.

That’s something I’m currently debating. There’s not 100% uniformity on the results recording. Some results show the players states some don’t. Some have the match score results some don’t. One year only has the winner of the event and that’s from 1993 to now. I haven’t dug into the 1976 to 1992 records yet.
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Runner-up? In that case, congrats!
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand: Stiga Allround WRB (71g)/Vega Europe max/Innova Ultra Light max (total 153g)
Fitness Friendship Fun
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 11:54am
[QUOTE=mjamja]I think it would be a great disservice not to include the runner-up in those events.  Especially those who only lost because some underrated junior who had not played in the US for over a year was allowed to cross our border and take championships away from US  citizens.  

[/QUOTE
You lost to Leanne Lee from Vancouver B.C. 3-2. She’s from Vancouver, BC area. She has played in tournaments in my area throughout the years. Have played against her in singles and doubles.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 4:12pm
Vince,

Thanks for your valuable service. I’d like my kids to see my past tournament accomplishments. I hope it will also include hardbat results.
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Vince,

Thanks for your valuable service. I’d like my kids to see my past tournament accomplishments. I hope it will also include hardbat results.
All results listed on the summary pages will be listed. 
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2020 at 10:40am
Project update. U.S. Nationals from 2009 to 2018 tournament summary results are completed. U.S. Opens from 2001 to 2018 are done. Will be working on 2000 later this evening.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 11:11pm
I'm looking the dates for the 1999 and 2000 US Open. I know both tournaments were held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. If anyone happens to know/remember the dates I'll gladly take the information.  
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2020 at 4:31pm

I'm looking the dates for the 1999 and 2000 US Open. I know both tournaments were held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. If anyone happens to know/remember the dates I'll gladly take the information.  
June 30-July 4, 1999
July 5-9, 2000
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

June 30-July 4, 1999
July 5-9, 2000
-Larry Hodges
Thanks Larry. All results from 2019 to 1993 U.S. Open results are done.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2020 at 12:37am
Project update. All U.S Open results from 1993 to 2019 are entered. U.S Nationals results from 1993 to 2018 have been entered. Found during data entry for 2003 Nationals  Heavyspin carries his lower rated partner Judy Hugh to the finals of the U-4200 Doubles where they beat Masuru Hashimoto/John Schneider 9,9,5. 
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2020 at 8:49pm
Tournament results are now entered back through to the 1983 US Open and Nationals. Just a note on results from the 1980’s ( especially the farther you get back in the years) the results are scattered all over the place and there are rarely any scores mentioned. I’m also fairly certain that I’m missing some event results either because they weren’t reported on in the articles or I just never saw them while reading the chapter. 1984 Nationals for example the only rated doubles event I found results for were U-1800 which I’m certain is a mistype. Oh well I can only enter what I can find! Lol
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2020 at 9:09pm

Tournament results are now entered back through to the 1983 US Open and Nationals. Just a note on results from the 1980’s ( especially the farther you get back in the years) the results are scattered all over the place and there are rarely any scores mentioned. I’m also fairly certain that I’m missing some event results either because they weren’t reported on in the articles or I just never saw them while reading the chapter. 1984 Nationals for example the only rated doubles event I found results for were U-1800 which I’m certain is a mistype. Oh well I can only enter what I can find! Lol

Keep up the great work! 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2020 at 9:37pm
I know this is extreme long shot idea, but if anyone who played in the US Opens and Nationals in the 1980’s decade has a tournament (assuming they had them back then) program orn the entry form from those tournaments I would be greatly interested in seeing a copy of it to verify the events vs what I was able to find. Maybe even old copies of Table Tennis Topics magazines that might have had the entry form in them. I want to make this project as accurate when it’s finished and eventually posted online.

Edited by Vince64 - 10/09/2020 at 9:38pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 1:17am

I know this is extreme long shot idea, but if anyone who played in the US Opens and Nationals in the 1980’s decade has a tournament (assuming they had them back then) program orn the entry form from those tournaments I would be greatly interested in seeing a copy of it to verify the events vs what I was able to find. Maybe even old copies of Table Tennis Topics magazines that might have had the entry form in them. I want to make this project as accurate when it’s finished and eventually posted online.

I found the entry form for the 1984 US Nationals in the October 1984 issue of Spin Magazine (which is what they called USATT Magazine back then). The only rating doubles event was U3600 Doubles, so the U1800 Doubles was a mistake. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 1:19am

I found the entry form for the 1984 US Nationals in the October 1984 issue of Spin Magazine (which is what they called USATT Magazine back then). The only rating doubles event was U3600 Doubles, so the U1800 Doubles was a mistake. 
-Larry Hodges
Thanks Larry. if happen to find 1981 Nationals can you see if there was a U-1900 Singles?

Edited by Vince64 - 10/10/2020 at 1:21am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2020 at 10:38am

-Larry Hodges
Thanks Larry. if happen to find 1981 Nationals can you see if there was a U-1900 Singles?
1981 US Nationals
U1900 - Final: Scott Preiss d. Ronald Schilhab, 18,15; SF: Preiss d. Randall Levy, 15,-15,16; Schilhab d. George Sanguinetti, 8,18.
All of my old magazines are in a disorangized mess and stacked in the back of a jammed-full storage room. Someday I'm going to go through them and get them more organized so I can find specific issues more easily. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2020 at 5:30pm
looking for results for 2019 Nationals. I have a list of who won all the events but it doesn’t show runner up or the scores. Other wise all other results from 1976 to 2019 for both tournaments have been entered into their respective spreadsheets. 
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2020 at 11:37pm
Does anyone know where the 1999 and 2005 U.S Nationals were held. I'm assuming they were both in Las Vegas but wanted to verify.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2020 at 12:10am
The webpage for U.S. Opens & Nationals tournament summary results from 1976 to present is under currently under construction. Completion date will hopefully be closer to sooner rather than later! LOL

https://wordpress.com/view/ustabletennisresulthistory.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic