Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TSP Spectol Speed VS Blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TSP Spectol Speed VS Blue
    Posted: 03/23/2020 at 3:04am
Hi All,

I'm currently using TSP Spectol classic (BH) with Tenergy 05 (FH) on Zhang Jike ALC.
The classic Spectol is not very grippy which is what I like, however, it's also very light (makes the blade less head heavy and less powerful on FH strokes) and the sponge is too soft - the ball sinks into it too much and I feel that the blocks and drives are not as flat as dangerous to the opponents as I'd like them to  be.

I used to use BTY Challenger Attack, but it was too grippy, and BTY Speedy P.O., which was less grippy and its sponge was harder - and I think was the best one of the ones I've tried so far.

I'd like to try short pips similar to BTY Speedy P.O. but with the speedglue effect. There are two candidates:

1) TSP Spectol Speed Sponge
2) TSP Spectol Blue

What are the differences between the two? Does Spectol Speed have the same non-grippy topsheet as Spectol classic? Is its sponge harder? Is the topsheet of Spectol Blue more or less grippy than Spectol Speed's? 

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links

lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:09am
The Spectol Speed sponge is harder than the Blue.

The topsheet is not the same either. Blue is taller and more triangular (smaller tip), while the material is is slightly softer and grippier.

The Blue sponged version of the Spectol/Spinpips are mediocre IMO. Speed is faster on smashes, Red is faster all around (but soft).

For backhand, I recommend softer pips, try the Red.
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 5:24am
Iasta,

That's interesting. Why would you recommend a soft sponge for BH? 
I've tried Impartial XB and I didn't like the soft sponge, it was sinking and popping too much. I would have assumed that a soft sponge is better for FH where you can use full arm movement to place the ball, for simple aggressive drives/hits with BH a hard sponge would be better?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Iasta,

That's interesting. Why would you recommend a soft sponge for BH? 
I've tried Impartial XB and I didn't like the soft sponge, it was sinking and popping too much. I would have assumed that a soft sponge is better for FH where you can use full arm movement to place the ball, for simple aggressive drives/hits with BH a hard sponge would be better?

From what I know pros are using 102,hammond Fa in their FH. A chinese women CNT was using spectol and now 102
When I played with spectol speed tried normal spectol and found diffrent play...a SP that is good for BH is tibhar speedy soft low spin great disturbance less control.
I think many reviews must be obsolete based on 40+ ball regarding spectol, my experience with spectol blue is that is good if you can handle it 

I ve noticed that some balls are anti SP like nittaku and joola you cant play with SP easily with that brands.. a guy using spectol blue told me that points only last 3 or 4 hits you lose or your opponent

I ve played some hits with spectol 21 that feels very playable way more lively than normal speed.

How is XB  regarding sink and control?
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 10:32am
Despite the name, Spectol Speed has no speedglue effect. It is very hard and slow unless you heavily tune it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 11:31am
Iasta,

Impartial XB has a soft sponge with extreme catapult. The control is not easy and many strokes need brushing/topspinning rather than flat hitting. It could be interesting for FH thanks to its speed and pop, but I didn't find it very useful for BH, extremely hard to control and the effect wasn't deceptive at all.

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Iasta,

Impartial XB has a soft sponge with extreme catapult. The control is not easy and many strokes need brushing/topspinning rather than flat hitting. It could be interesting for FH thanks to its speed and pop, but I didn't find it very useful for BH, extremely hard to control and the effect wasn't deceptive at all.
Agree, I used it in my FH penhold for a while, but after one month the sponge died.
Exactly the same happened with Flarestorm 2. It was very tensioned and with great catapult effect, unfortunately for one month only.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 12:54pm
[QUOTE=GeneralSpecific]Despite the name, Spectol Speed has no speedglue effect. It is very hard and slow unless you heavily tune it.
[/QUO

Spectol 21 feels more lively , I thought it was me that flarestorm2 was short lived
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Spectol 21 feels more lively , I thought it was me that flarestorm2 was short lived

The 21 sponge is definitely more lively but it's softer and he said the original spectol is already too soft
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

The 21 sponge is definitely more lively but it's softer and he said the original spectol is already too soft

Yep but I need to know if someone has been using for FH and if returns sink balls.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 9:00pm
I have never seriously used pips on the forehand
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 2:49am
Hammond FA Speed is much better than all of the Spectols. Too bad it's been discontinued. Hammond FA is not as good as FA Speed but still much better than the Spectols (and less expensive).
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Hammond FA Speed is much better than all of the Spectols. Too bad it's been discontinued. Hammond FA is not as good as FA Speed but still much better than the Spectols (and less expensive).

Hi chicho nice to hear about you, why is better than spectols and who are using it?
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 12:18am
It is more durable,  sometimes unpredictable and blocks better.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

It is more durable,  sometimes unpredictable and blocks better.

Good for FH or cpen?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic