Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US customs on imported TT goods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US customs on imported TT goods
    Posted: 11/28/2016 at 11:31am
If any of you were unfortunate enough to be charged a duty / tariff for importing any TT blades or rubbers from one of our European shops, would you mind sharing how much that duty was (in percentage terms)?

Danke.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 11:49am
Don't bother to look. I found this and hope that it is reasonably up to date:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/table-tennis-equipment/

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 12:02pm
Hello Slevin. Our US customers do not have problems with US customs. We ship from Estonia, European Union. I hope this helps.

Annes Org, Marketing Manager

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

If any of you were unfortunate enough to be charged a duty / tariff for importing any TT blades or rubbers from one of our European shops, would you mind sharing how much that duty was (in percentage terms)?

Danke.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 12:02pm
It has never happened to me in over ten years.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 12:36pm
do the shops add the invoice/receipt to the goods? that would be the trigger if customs see an invoice.  
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 10:14pm
Unfortunately, fatt, I found out that at least one shop does (no, not TT11).

I shall let you know if it gets picked up by customs and how large the bill was (in percentage terms) if any.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 11:01am
it's usually 30% of the price 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 1:20pm
So, as I expected, I was charged customs duty. Luckily, it is only around 5.9% in the US, not 30%. All good.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

So, as I expected, I was charged customs duty. Luckily, it is only around 5.9% in the US, not 30%. All good.

Did you get the shipment through DHL? And was there an invoice with the package?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Did you get the shipment through DHL? And was there an invoice with the package?

Yes & yes.
Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 4:52pm
Which shop or country? Need to take that into consideration when I make my purchase.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Soundoff88 Soundoff88 wrote:

Which shop or country? Need to take that into consideration when I make my purchase.
you betcha!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:10pm
It was not tabletennis11: I have never gotten charged customs on any TT11 order (and I have made lots and lots of orders).
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:15pm
For dealers importing large quantities of TT supplies, I can understand to slap on some tarrif.
But for an individual buying a sheet of rubber, then charge some tarrif - that's overdone.
I have never run into that however - lucky me.
skip3119
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:17pm
Did the total go over US$200? tt11 and tt-japan put in a lower amount on the customs form for that reason.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Did the total go over US$200? tt11 and tt-japan put in a lower amount on the customs form for that reason.

Yes. Way, way over that. So, to me, the tariff makes sense and I am happy to pay it (MAGA Angry). It's just that I wanted clarity beforehand about whether I'm paying $200 in customs duties or $1,000.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:39pm
The US government thanks you for being an "honest" citizen.   
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2019 at 5:02pm

I just paid a 25 percent tariff. Im stopping all imports, at least until things cool down. If they don't, when I run out I guess I'm out of business.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2019 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I just paid a 25 percent tariff. Im stopping all imports, at least until things cool down. If they don't, when I run out I guess I'm out of business.

Wow that's bad! OuchOuchOuch
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I wonder if 25% surcharge is something your base (myself included) can handle for a bit. So, Dawei 2008 XP will now be 11$ - it's probably still a good deal for a vast majority of folks, especially given the fact that NOT every one of your customers is even aware of AliExpress existence (I assume one of your main concerns is that these purchases won't bear the burden of tariffs).

I'm not putting decent chunk of my own money at risk, though, so would be fine with whatever you decide to do in the end. 
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2019 at 1:52am
Cole has had the price of XP2008 at $8 USD for over a decade, that has got to be one of the best bang for buck values of all time.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Cole has had the price of XP2008 at $8 USD for over a decade, that has got to be one of the best bang for buck values of all time.

OK but that's one thing. What about w6? Could it sell for 45? I doubt it.

I just hope this is a temporary strong arm tactic.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
thasco View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thasco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2019 at 7:50am
I have few good (Chinese and other) friends who visit mainland or Hong Kong often for other business or pleasure. When I ask them to get me some cheap rubber or blades, they all laugh because Chinese & Hong Kong rubbers are much cheaper over Ali Express or in Uk itself as some serious dumping is going on.

This is not always bad because though Butterfly may be the Gold Standard it is just too expensive and amateur schmucks like me really don't need them (while professional players get it for free as sponsored players). 
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:53am
Originally posted by thasco thasco wrote:

I have few good (Chinese and other) friends who visit mainland or Hong Kong often for other business or pleasure. When I ask them to get me some cheap rubber or blades, they all laugh because Chinese & Hong Kong rubbers are much cheaper over Ali Express or in Uk itself as some serious dumping is going on.

hm, that's interesting. So you are saying that Chinese rubbers are more expensive in China then in the rest of the World? Any numbers?
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 3:52pm

I wonder if 25% surcharge is something your base (myself included) can handle for a bit.  

Wait - isn't China supposed to be paying the price for the tariffs? Ouch
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

I wonder if 25% surcharge is something your base (myself included) can handle for a bit.  

To fix a nested quote mishap - it was me, not 'zeio' who wrote that sentence. Embarrassed 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:38pm
Never believe what the fakes news feed the general public.

Quote ...we're pretty much prepared for this. Again, somebody has to pay for it, so the cost will definitely pass on to the consumer...

Quote ...however you feel about the Chinese market and the way that they've treated us tradewise in the past, it's a fact that the Chinese market is what has made us profitable in growing soybeans...

Quote ...all alone trying to prosecute a war with China who thinks in terms of decades or centuries with a country that doesn't think that long-term...

Honestly, folks can't blame it on Trump for this. Anyone who visits the Home Depot, Lowe's or whatever would know. Back when Obama was in office, driver bits by Milwaukee, made in China, already cost more than those by Makita, made in Japan. All in the name of so-called anti-dumping tariffs on steel. The only difference now is that every shit from China gets slammed 25%! Uh-huh!

Edited by zeio - 08/22/2019 at 4:41pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

To fix a nested quote mishap - it was me, not 'zeio' who wrote that sentence. Embarrassed 

Sorry, I can never figure out the nested quote stuff. Also, I hope my sarcasm came across in my last post. 
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:46pm

.. I hope my sarcasm came across in my last post. 

It did, no worries. 
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:50pm
you guys keep talking about ways around duties in the open and somebody will put a stop to it

Edited by tom - 08/22/2019 at 4:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic