Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US open dec 17-22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2018 at 7:21am
I agree. Single open final should be the end of the tournament.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2018 at 10:13pm
Got a chance to talk to someone who just got back from US Open and they were quite unhappy. On the plus side, the venue apparently was much better compared to Vegas: water fountains, toilets, cleaners etc. 

Organization, however, was rather chaotic (which is really weird, since I suspect it's the same people running it as before). Somehow Open RR groups stretched into 2 days (just like on ITTF Tour events?) , and there was very little visibility in a sense  of who you are playing next and when. Quite a few events did not have enough entries.

Interesting observation was that a) it felt empty - lower attendance plus much bigger hall and b) when you were not playing, there was not much else to do/watch.

Curious what experiences were like for others. 

USATT: ~1950
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2018 at 3:10am
I had a blast tbh.  Most important to me are playing conditions: flooring, lighting, space, temperature, cleanliness, etc.  These were near perfect.  Definitely 5 star worthy imho.  Could have been more food vendors in the hall.  There was just Papa Johns and some Chinese food.  And a smoothie shop just outside the hall.  Not a big deal for me.  I bring my own, but I did have Papa Johns once.

I agree that sometimes not knowing where/when you play next was annoying.  But I feel for the volunteers who are doing their best and under lots of stress.  It's okay for me; I just go watch the pros play and check back every so often.

Personally, I like the tiered ratings format.  Lots of good matches.  I can't imagine defaulting except for the case of serious injury.  You paid good money to be in the 5 star U.S. Open Table Tennis tourney with awesome playing conditions.  If anyone defaults a match (aside from serious injury) and then complains about the tournament, then they need to look in the mirror.  

I wanted Lily to win, but Juan Liu just played great.  Great penhold serves, touch, and that forehand.  And she seems like a really nice person... all the pros were.  And then, as I mentioned earlier, that men's final was awesome.  I just love it when the crowd gets into it.  Lots of smiles on everyone as they were leaving the hall.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2018 at 6:04pm
It was a buffet of matches with some dishes unprepared.  

I considered running for USATT member at large but decided to remain a USATT large member.
cio4you View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cio4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2018 at 8:57pm
I rarely post but I went not to play but to support  a freind for a few days here were my observations.

Plus side:
  • venue was a good as it gets.
  • lighting pretty good not quite as bright as I think it should have been.
  • The VIP area was nice.
  • The volunteers did a great job!
  • There were a lot of matches to play.
  • The hotel was fine either one.
Downside:
    • The match scheduling was chaotic and other than knowing you would play somewhere after 9:00 am the rest of the day was a bit unplanned. 
    • To make it worth the money you would have had to stay for 5-6 days since the matches ended up spread-out over a bunch of days.
    • Orlando is ridiculously expensive place to eat.
    • It was hard to understand the format and how wins and losses in the end how that would effect the rest of your weeks play.
    • Orlando is not Vegas in terms of what you can do if your not playing.
All in all I was as a previous poster stated shocked at how few players were actually there. I have been going to tournaments for many years and this was the most poorly attended and the nicest venue.Here are my last thoughts.

There were three big changes made.:
  • Venue moved from Vegas I understand Vegas was not financially viable.
  • Changed the format to something few people understood going in and the cost went way up.
  • The format required one to be there for a much longer time if one was to get their moneys worth.
This was simply too many things to change all at once and I am assuming most people from west coast didn't come. I applaud the effort by the USATT next time change maybe one thing at a time?

Scott Kressner
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by cio4you cio4you wrote:

This was simply too many things to change all at once and I am assuming most people from west coast didn't come. I applaud the effort by the USATT next time change maybe one thing at a time?

Scott Kressner

There were a number of people in my west coast city that normally go to the US Open, but chose not to go this year.

The required length of time to stay and the cost (hundreds of USD more (if not close to $1000 USD more) than if it was at Vegas)

Hotel in Vegas (Thanks for the bargain deal - USATT) was $30 USD a night... if we get 4-5 of us in a room, it is like the price of a coffee per day.

There are some TTers on West Coast who have enough money to do it... and most of those went.

We can talk about other factors, but the dollars spoke much louder than the other reasons.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2018 at 1:03am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

There were a number of people in my west coast city that normally go to the US Open, but chose not to go this year.

The required length of time to stay and the cost (hundreds of USD more (if not close to $1000 USD more) than if it was at Vegas)

Hotel in Vegas (Thanks for the bargain deal - USATT) was $30 USD a night... if we get 4-5 of us in a room, it is like the price of a coffee per day.

There are some TTers on West Coast who have enough money to do it... and most of those went.

We can talk about other factors, but the dollars spoke much louder than the other reasons.

BH-Man, I played Nikolai from your area. He was a hoot! He ranks way up there in terms of enjoying the experience of being beaten. I mean that as a compliment to his character. 

p.s. The flooring was sturdy enough to handle both of us.

Edited by heavyspin - 12/27/2018 at 1:05am

I considered running for USATT member at large but decided to remain a USATT large member.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2018 at 1:59am
I see big Nick every week, often 2x a week. Nick and James T went, they were 2 out of the 7 who would normally go.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2018 at 10:11am
Venue, courts, flooring, lighting were all great. I had time to observe and study up close the elite players: Eugene Wang's awesome anticipation and control, the aggressive style of a few Japanese men, the super steady Japanese women, Lily Zhang's fh-bh, bh-fh transitions, Tin Tin Ho's reverse ph backhand, etc.

The rating event gave everyone plenty of matches. I got the full 15 matches and played well up to my 12th match - that seemed to be the limit for my feet and ankles. My game went downhill from there and into my age events.

All age events (among non-elite) were RR groups of 4 with top 2 advancing to a championship SE draw, bottom 2 to a consolation SE draw. Perhaps inspired by the WVC, it's a huge change from the former straight single elimination. 

I'm used to having a time schedule which lets me know and plan what time and table I'll go if I advance. Well everyone advanced, but few knew what time and no one knew what table until a second stage draw was posted. I'll make an educated guess that creating the 2nd stage for all events was an extra task too demanding for tournament operations. They were bombarded by "when do I play next?" preventing them from printing match cards and such. They attempted to make revised personalized schedules to cope with this. In one of my events, players were ready, the draw was made, tables were empty, clipboards were on the desk, volunteers ready, but it took over 40 minutes to print the match cards.

There was a text messaging service which ideally informs all players when their next match would be, but it mostly wasn't working at all and when it did work the message arrived within an hour of my match so it was worthless in terms of planning ahead. Despite that, I had a good idea when my next match would be either by word of mouth or by finding the empty draws online once those posted. Surprisingly, the schedule didn't seem to fall too far behind since it was often 1 event per day for most participants.

The new formats were probably designed in spirit to accommodate most players, but in reality I think it inconvenienced many. Overall a good experience for me but if these issues could've been solved (perhaps not possible), it would've been a very good experience.

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2018 at 2:05pm
This was the first Open I’ve missed in 5 years. My club in the San Fernando Valley has had as many as 37 players attend. This year, as far as I can tell no one attended. Every club member I’ve asked missed for one reason: Orlando was too far and too expensive.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I see big Nick every week, often 2x a week. Nick and James T went, they were 2 out of the 7 who would normally go.

Raza was also there.

Nick is a lot of fun to play.  He has a unique since of humor.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:09am
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

This was the first Open I’ve missed in 5 years. My club in the San Fernando Valley has had as many as 37 players attend. This year, as far as I can tell no one attended. Every club member I’ve asked missed for one reason: Orlando was too far and too expensive.

Dollars speak loud... unless one is rich. I believe the cost was by far the biggest factor. Maybe if the US Open was an ITTF event and half the pros on the tour went to the tourney, then that would be a different situation as there is way more value in an aspect that could attract a segment of the players.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2018 at 3:11am
@mts388

Nick came to SITTA yesterday and gave a short report. In short, he had a blast.

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2019 at 11:43am
Ratings and results are posted. While browsing, here is a weird rating assignment:

Uezu Koji

Initial rating 0
Adjusted to 2152
Final rating 2343

Given that his record is 5-1, his only loss was to 2629 player, and his best win is against 2741 player, how exactly these numbers make any sense?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Ratings and results are posted. While browsing, here is a weird rating assignment:

Uezu Koji

Initial rating 0
Adjusted to 2152
Final rating 2343

Given that his record is 5-1, his only loss was to 2629 player, and his best win is against 2741 player, how exactly these numbers make any sense?

That makes no sense whatsoever.  Years after switching to Simply Complete there should not be problems like this.... or something as simple as a negative sign before values in cases where there is a non-zero loss.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2019 at 11:03pm
The Open results will change some after the ICC's early December results are posted.  I noticed that the 3 Goodwin girls picked up about 1000 points
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

The Open results will change some after the ICC's early December results are posted.  I noticed that the 3 Goodwin girls picked up about 1000 points

There's also an unprocessed December Florida tournament held the week before the US Open which should change the starting ratings of plenty who participated in both.

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

There's also an unprocessed December Florida tournament held the week before the US Open which should change the starting ratings of plenty who participated in both.

These got processed - example I quoted is still as wrong as it was before (and why would it change, this dude did not play in ICC or FL tourneys...)

Angry
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

These got processed - example I quoted is still as wrong as it was before (and why would it change, this dude did not play in ICC or FL tourneys...)

Angry

My post wasn't in response to your post, just a comment.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 8:48pm

My post wasn't in response to your post, just a comment.

Apologies, I was not directing it at you and heavyspin as well. I see that 'angry smiley' could've been misunderstood.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 9:37pm

Uezu Koji

Initial rating 0
Adjusted to 2152
Final rating 2343

I've emailed USATT headquarters about this, advising them this player obviously should be close to 2700. There must be a bug in the initial rating software. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2019 at 7:25am
Thought it would be interesting to some to see the world rankings of some of the players after the U.S. Open which actually counts for ranking points.   

Men:

Kanak Jha 51
Eugene Wang 178 (Winner)
Rajko Gommers 212
Tobias Hippler 248
Ryohei Kanoya 628 (Runner up)
Takeshi Atsuya 641
Yuki Shimoyama 656
Koji Uezu 660

Women:

Wu Yue 46
Nina Mittelham 49