Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USATT CEO Gordon Kaye resignation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

https://www.ittf.com/2019/01/04/gordon-kaye-appointed-ittf-managing-director-product-innovation/

Congrats. What do you think of TTX though? I think Veterans TT is obviously important given the sports' demographics.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 10:27am
Congrats Gordon!!!
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 11:31am
TTX sounds like a project to be put in the same category than "aerobics table tennis", an endeavor started by a beginner tt player who took over a university club as a freshman: all at the table, put music loud and drill on the beat! maybe very appealing to the masses, much less to the initiated; it did not go too far.
All ideas to bring more people in the game are good though. If in a TTX event newbies look on the side, see real matches and get sucked in, then they might pick the real game up and join USATT.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2019 at 7:11pm
Congratz Gordon!

So this new appointment had nothing to do with your resignation from USATT, or did you resign because you wanted this new position with the ITTF?

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 1:27am

https://www.ittf.com/2019/01/04/gordon-kaye-appointed-ittf-managing-director-product-innovation/
So what does Managing Director of Product Innovation actually mean?  New ways to present table tennis to the public?  New types of ball material?  (I suggest corkLOL).
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 3:41am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Congratz Gordon!

So this new appointment had nothing to do with your resignation from USATT, or did you resign because you wanted this new position with the ITTF?

Well, the USATT is a sinking ship anyway.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 2:45pm
Hello, all!

Sorry for the delayed responses - been a bit of a "transition" time so I haven't had as much of my usual mytt time lately! 

First and foremost, I do not think that USATT is a "sinking ship." Much the opposite, I see a bright future for USATT with a board and dedicated base of enthusiasts. It has been an amazing four years filled with highs and lows - but most of all I have seen (for the most part) a large and dedicated group of people who are committed to seeing USATT succeed. So "sinking ship" is far from what I see!

At the same time, I believe that in order for US (and I mean table tennis in the US) to be successful in the long run, we need an "all-hands-on-deck" approach that integrates resources and innovation from inside and outside of USATT.  So while the decision to leave USATT was very difficult, I don't see it as leaving as much as working with USATT to find new ways to develop and grow the sport.

The short answer to the question about TTX is YES I believe the product can be transformational with respect to the growth of the sport - we just need to work together to (a) develop a strong user base focused on the fun, social, and health benefits of playing; and then (b) bringing those people into the "table tennis" family. I do think TTX can be that product/service to bridge the gap between the recreational player/interested fan and the core sport - but I also think we can't just open the doors and expect everyone to walk in. 

I want to reiterate - I firmly believe my decision to leave USATT, when put in the perspective of the increased interest and investment in the growth of the sport in North America and worldwide, can and will be good for USATT as well. My resignation, in other words, was directly because I wanted this new position with the ITTF and I thought it would be good for all parties.

I know the USATT board is committed to seeing growth and stability - and will find a more than capable person to take the organization to new heights. I look forward to working with them (and all of you) to see our great sport continue to grow and flourish.

Happy to answer any other questions.
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 3:04pm
@Next - the demographics of table tennis in the US are quite surprising..

"Congrats. What do you think of TTX though? I think Veterans TT is obviously important given the sports' demographics."

Yes! I 100% agree that Veterans TT is an important demographic both in the US and worldwide that needs to be developed and I think the Veterans Tour can and will be a great way to create a professionally organized structure around the veterans table tennis community.

At the same time, there is a large demographic of "ping pong" players that fit in the 18-44 demographic that are, frankly, not engaged in our core product right now. A quick look at 2016 numbers (I just happen to have that open right now - the 2017 numbers are not that different) from SFIA shows the three largest demographic groups of ping pong players (at least once a year) fit in 18-24 (16.5%), 25-34 (20.4%), and 35-44 (15.6%) - so a majority of "ping pong players" (52.5% of the 16.5MM people in the US that have identified themselves as "ping pong players") sit outside of USATT's core user base.

Go deeper and the numbers don't look that different - looking at "core ping pong players" (more than 1 x per month) the demos look like this: 18-24 (16.6%), 25-34 (18.7), and 35-44 (11.4%), or a total of 46.6% of the 4.6MM "core" players fit outside what we typically think of as engaged in USATT and the "core sport" of table tennis.

So what does this tell us? Well, for one, that people are playing "ping pong" an awful lot, whether it's at home, in a rec center, a club, or somewhere else. It also tells us that we need a product more targeted to the 18-44 demo to bring them from the "game" to the "sport". 

I see the vision of TTX as a way to bridge the gap and bring this large group of players into the USATT/ITTF/"table tennis" family. Will TTX be the place we find our next Olympic medalist? Probably not. But I see it as a great way to create engagement in a demographic that is not necessarily engaged in our product right now.

Hope this helps answer the question.
Gordon 

Edited by Gordy - 01/08/2019 at 3:05pm
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 4:44pm

@Next - the demographics of table tennis in the US are quite surprising..

"<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Congrats. What do you think of TTX though? I think Veterans TT is obviously important given the sports' demographics."</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span>
Yes! I 100% agree that Veterans TT is an important demographic both in the US and worldwide that needs to be developed and I think the Veterans Tour can and will be a great way to create a professionally organized structure around the veterans table tennis community.

At the same time, there is a large demographic of "ping pong" players that fit in the 18-44 demographic that are, frankly, not engaged in our core product right now. A quick look at 2016 numbers (I just happen to have that open right now - the 2017 numbers are not that different) from SFIA shows the three largest demographic groups of ping pong players (at least once a year) fit in 18-24 (16.5%), 25-34 (20.4%), and 35-44 (15.6%) - so a majority of "ping pong players" (52.5% of the 16.5MM people in the US that have identified themselves as "ping pong players") sit outside of USATT's core user base.

Go deeper and the numbers don't look that different - looking at "core ping pong players" (more than 1 x per month) the demos look like this: 18-24 (16.6%), 25-34 (18.7), and 35-44 (11.4%), or a total of 46.6% of the 4.6MM "core" players fit outside what we typically think of as engaged in USATT and the "core sport" of table tennis.

So what does this tell us? Well, for one, that people are playing "ping pong" an awful lot, whether it's at home, in a rec center, a club, or somewhere else. It also tells us that we need a product more targeted to the 18-44 demo to bring them from the "game" to the "sport". 

I see the vision of TTX as a way to bridge the gap and bring this large group of players into the USATT/ITTF/"table tennis" family. Will TTX be the place we find our next Olympic medalist? Probably not. But I see it as a great way to create engagement in a demographic that is not necessarily engaged in our product right now.

Hope this helps answer the question.
Gordon 

I 99% agree with this and think the recreational and exhibition aspect of our sport is greatly underutilized. The 1% I disagree with is TTX as the solution.

That said the devil is always in the details. But anything to expand the commercial value of our sport is welcome and I think that there is a lot of room for TT to do things outside hardbat and ITTF sanctioned TT that are sports that appeal to the minds of not just hardcore players. Hopefully, they will find something like but better than TTX to make this work.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 5:17pm
I for one am just glad to have someone who frequents our pages in a position to carry our experiences as non-pro players to ITTF.  We may not be pros but there are a lot of us.  We feel ignored.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 7:56pm
I don't believe that TTX can bring more players to Table Tennis.
Introducing TTX won't be able to grow table tennis.
==============

TTX was introduced in 2016.  So far I haven't seen people playing TTX in the city where I live.

Edited by skip3119 - 01/08/2019 at 8:00pm
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 10:57pm
That is very true. On the other hand, pickleball is spreading like wild fire.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

+1, was about to make the same point. To the best of my knowledge it does not have ITTF or tennis/racketball/squash governing body behind it, and yet somehow it succeeds.
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 12:26am
deleted.

Edited by skip3119 - 01/09/2019 at 12:27am
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 6:39am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Pickleball??
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 6:55am
Pickleball it is.

Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 9:21am
This thread seems to allow to post. Not other thread.

Anyone has problems to post, you can do a test post here.

Edited by skip3119 - 01/09/2019 at 9:24am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 9:31am
MyTT is another sinking ship.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

MyTT is another sinking ship.
===================
OMG, hope you are wrong.
Can you see, they still got one thread working? (This thread works. You can do a test post here)
-------------------------------------

Can not create a new thread.
Can not post.
Use different computers and different browsers - none works.
Logout then login (again) won't help.
If one has an existing post, one can edit it - the system will take it.

Btw, the thread "2019 All Japan Champion Jan. 14-20" has new info (because I edited an existing post.)

Edited by skip3119 - 01/09/2019 at 9:48am
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:22am
just posted. It works.

Edited by notfound123 - 01/09/2019 at 11:22am
VKMO | V>15 Extra | Curl P4
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:24am
seems like the owners of mytabletennis are secretly trying to move everyone to tabletennisdaily LOL
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:29am
can't create new thread in for sale section. get sql error
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:40am
Testing

Edit: Been having a ton of troubles posting. Looks okay for now

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 01/09/2019 at 11:42am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:45am
yes. now ok
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Testing

Edit: Been having a ton of troubles posting. Looks okay for now
================
Yes, it works now.
They finally solved the problems.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 11:51am
MYTT had been down and up and down and up...server problem?Alex didn't pay the bill?WackoLOL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 2:03pm
First, congrats Gordon on your new post.

There's a few things that puzzle me.  First, each set has a 2 minute limit (or a gap of 10 pts).  Are players suppose to bring a Kutchen timer or use a timer app on their cell phone?  Why not just make it points based.  I don't think that is a barrier to entry for TT.  It also seems susceptible to time wasting and in the rule book it is "frowned upon ... In the event of time-wasting by any player, the umpire may award any number of points to the opponent, at his/her own discretion." 

Secondly, though it tries to uncomplicate the serve rules by pretty much allowing anything (I guess I can quickly run to the side of the table and do a quick serve?), you keep serving if you won the last point.  This seems to me that this runs into the problem that TT had when serves were 5 in a row in the 21 pt game.  A serving wizard could win the set in 10 serves or less ("Wildcard" and/or "Winner" pts) without the opponent even getting a chance to serve.

Thirdly, there's strong potential for conflicts between TT and TTX players regarding the limited number of tables already available at clubs.  And there's also for potential young TT cadets to get enticed by the easier to play, shiny new TTX.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 2:13pm
The 2 minutes limit might be useful so the control desk has a much higher hand at managing time, the expedite rule will never apply for example. People playing against the spirit of the game and making points last longer on purpose can't anymore piss people off.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The 2 minutes limit might be useful so the control desk has a much higher hand at managing time, the expedite rule will never apply for example. People playing against the spirit of the game and making points last longer on purpose can't anymore piss people off.

Most matches will not be umpired.  A player ahead by a few points can wipe his hand on the table, tie his shoes, towel off, or go back slowly to the barrier to retrieve the ball and slowly walk back to the table.  Oops... times up.  Guess he won the set.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2019 at 2:49pm
The title s/b changed to Promotion.
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic