Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - USATT One Time Pass Costs twice the membership ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USATT One Time Pass Costs twice the membership ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USATT One Time Pass Costs twice the membership ?
    Posted: 06/27/2022 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by JoeSmith JoeSmith wrote:

I saw on some tournament brochure that USATT one time pass costs $50 which is twice the cost of one year basic membership of $25  ?

Is this correct ?
Am I missing something here ?
Yes that is correct. You aren’t missing anything.
They want people to buy the 25.00 basic membership to get their membership numbers up. It’s why they congratulated themselves on their Facebook page promoting they had 10,000 members even though in this case it’s not really 10k active members as about 17-20% of their “members” have no usatt tournament rating and there are probably 100-200 lifetime memberships and lots of them are deceased. Some as long as over 30-40
Years.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2022 at 3:46pm
Many leagues require you to join the USATT, even if you never play in a tournament.  
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2022 at 12:41am
[QUOTE=mts388]Many leagues require you to join the USATT, even if you never play in a tournament.  [/QU
Usatt rating page shows 10442 members. 2063 have no usatt tournament rating. 6365 have no league rating. Of the 2063 with no usatt rating 1173 (unofficial +/-10) have no league rating either. 
ustabletennisresults.com
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Many leagues require you to join the USATT, even if you never play in a tournament.  

well league play is essentially a club tournament...

What exactly are we complaining about on this thread? Price being too low????

I thought being a cheapskate was MY strongest table tennis stroke!
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2022 at 10:50am
I remember when leagues were non-sanctioned.  I am not sure why this change took place.  I think it is extremely silly to have a league rating and a "real" rating.  Why not have a forehand counterdrive warm up rating as well? How about a Falkenburg drill rating?  Matches should either count or not towards your real rating rather than some intermediate nebulous rating. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2022 at 9:23am

I saw on some tournament brochure that USATT one time pass costs $50 which is twice the cost of one year basic membership of $25  ?

Is this correct ?
Am I missing something here ?

I could be wrong but from what I understand, USATT has a basic membership for $25. This plan allows one to play in all sanctioned tournaments except the 5 star tournaments such as Nationals and US Open. A "pro membership" is $75 which includes 5 star tournaments. 

I'll guess that the $50 one time pass you read appeared in a 5 star tournament entry form. 
Trying to develop a fast short serve.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2022 at 11:26am

Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I'll guess that the $50 one time pass you read appeared in a 5 star tournament entry form. 

No . It was on a 2 Star Tournament Entry Form.  It is quite possible that tournament director made a mistake then your explanation does make sense 
The tournament pass is 50.00 regardless of the star rating of the tournament. 
ustabletennisresults.com
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2022 at 10:46pm

What exactly are we complaining about on this thread? Price being too low????

[/QUOTE]

Not exactly a complaint but just a curiosity question.

The one time tournament pass used to be $10 before they changed it to $50

But what I intended to ask was why would anyone want pay lot more just to play one time (in lower star tournaments)   ?

But I think what may have happened is that they wanted to set the rate at $50 ONLY for 5 star tournaments as HeavySpin states but they possibly forgot to keep it at the previosu $10 for lower star rated tournaments. 

USATT may not be very smart but I can't see them knowingly setting it that way to boost membership 
[/QUOTE]
As I mentioned earlier, the tournament pass is 50.00. Doesn't matter if the tournament is 0-1 star or 5 star still 50.00. Usatt want's people to buy the USATT membership to make their membership number  look better. It's the same reason if you want to play in a league that use's the usatt league ratings you have to have a  current usatt membership to play in it.
ustabletennisresults.com
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2022 at 11:57pm
It is odd and counter intuitive, but then so are this bunch. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2022 at 2:10pm
I think USATT is waiting for that first tournament pass to be sold. When that happens, they will contact the tournament worker who convinced someone to pay $50 which offers much less instead of $25 which offers much more. That tournament worker will then be offered the USATT sales and marketing position.

Trying to develop a fast short serve.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2022 at 2:50pm
The USATT probably has a number of incentives to increase their member numbers as much as possible.  It could be the membership dues make up a fairly small proportion of their revenue stream, and their more important streams are based on numbers of members (or the number of members who play multiple tournaments, or some such thing).  I don't know that this is true but it could explain the strangeness.

What is more strange is that I am replying to a sjan thread.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2022 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The USATT probably has a number of incentives to increase their member numbers as much as possible.  It could be the membership dues make up a fairly small proportion of their revenue stream, and their more important streams are based on numbers of members (or the number of members who play multiple tournaments, or some such thing).  I don't know that this is true but it could explain the strangeness.

What is more strange is that I am replying to a sjan thread.
yes, he forgot to set his vpn on in the 2nd post LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic