Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virus response: Clubs doing anything different?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedVirus response: Clubs doing anything different?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 12:29pm
I'm sorry you have to deal with the death and complications of this virus.
And this is really not the place to voice concerns over it.

I can't imagine what the leader of the free world has to deal with in times like these but I'm sure he's doing whatever he can.

He loves America and has done exceptionally well is many areas.
Let's hope he continues that in this crisis too.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 12:42pm
It's funny how people will defend trump; 1st they'll say "it's a war, we need to stay united, don't ask questions, stop projecting your fantasy" and when it's over, they'll say "let's not look behind, let's not live in the past, let's focus on the future."

Very convenient, nobody is ever responsible.

Read this, the Google translate does a good enough job:
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

It's funny how people will defend trump; 1st they'll say "it's a war, we need to stay united, don't ask questions, stop projecting your fantasy" and when it's over, they'll say "let's not look behind, let's not live in the past, let's focus on the future."

Very convenient, nobody is ever responsible.

I always hate it when our *table tennis forum* lapses into politics.  People's political views on either side are personal and, in spite of the fact that everyone thinks of themselves as logical, their views are generally emotional, not rational.  

Just to be clear, my wife and I didn't vote for Trump in 2016 and we won't vote for him this year.  Nonetheless, it's unreasonable to blame him for everything, or imagine that any other president would have a much different impact on the situation.

I'm just saying venting for or against any particular political party/leader isn't helpful and certainly lowers the enjoyment of this forum.
MrLee4ATTC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

I'm sorry you have to deal with the death and complications of this virus.
And this is really not the place to voice concerns over it.

I can't imagine what the leader of the free world has to deal with in times like these but I'm sure he's doing whatever he can.

He loves America and has done exceptionally well is many areas.

God Bless America

I disagree with your comment about this discussion group not being the place to deal with everyone’s thoughts and feelings about the current crisis. This discussion group is for people who are into Table Tennis, not strictly limited to table tennis topics. If people who love table tennis want to talk about any particular topic this should be the place to do it whether or not you like the topic or specific opinions expressed in the discussion. You’ve voiced your opinion and I’m responding with mine. That’s the way these sorts of forums are intended to work. If you’d prefer to not participate in any given discussion, you don’t have to. 
Lee
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 1:50pm
United Kingdom now incuring some disaster terrible.. 528 deaths per day. It looks a new, more severe mutation of virus.

God forbid, please.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

United Kingdom now incuring some disaster terrible.. 528 deaths per day. It looks a new, more severe mutation of virus.

God forbid, please.

Doesn't need to be a new strain and probably isn't.  Just needs lots of people infected.

Edited by Baal - 04/01/2020 at 2:40pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 2:34pm

That train left the station several weeks ago.  He failed to take any of the actions recommended by the National Security Council.  Ask ANY public health authority how they think the US is doing.

As a result the impact of this is far worse than it otherwise would be.

Edited by Baal - 04/01/2020 at 2:40pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 2:38pm

I thought this site was about table tennis?

This is a thread that really isn't about table tennis.  It is about the coronavirus.  If you want to talk about TT, there are many other threads.
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 3:12pm
Mr. Gates' TED talk with Chris Anderson a couple days ago was very informative.

No matter how wrong I think fiscal laws are so such big fortunes and private foundations can exist at all, this man is always working hard for the community and is well informed.

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 4:57pm
Sorry, but the rules on this site clearly state "No Political Views"

Without a doubt many people are stressed with the current state of affairs

But no one has any idea of thousands of communications and considerations being made
at this time unless you are in the situation room yourself.

Complaining doesn't help unless it to relive stress and again this is not the place to do it as the rules state

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:35pm

But no one has any idea of thousands of communications and considerations being made

Complaining doesn't help unless it to relive stress and again this is not the place to do it as the rules state

Agreed.  

Moreover, this topic was created to discuss specifically what clubs were doing to handle the threat of virus infection, which, at this point, is pretty moot.Cry  I have no problem with people expanding that discussion to more generally talking about the virus, but politics should be kept out of it.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:39pm

I thought this site was about table tennis?

I'm also sure dealing with stress everyday is otherworldly.
But people deal with Death in times of war.

No one is perfect, not you not me.

But we are supposed to come together in times like these.

I'm sure we have no idea what President Trump has to deal with and he certainly is better that any Previous President or the 2 so called candidates running against him.

Let's try to deal with these times together.

haha, don't know how many forums you have been lately? Nowaday, many threads in a lot of forums are turned into political debate, and, yes, mods keep closing threads.

Anyway, I am not trump supporter, and I think he is an idiot. Having said that, we cannot say he is doing a poor job right now. Actually, he is not behind the count yet Wink. Then, he shall act like a wartime president.

We shall grade him after the dust settles.

Edited by Egghead - 04/01/2020 at 5:55pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:44pm

Just FYI your beloved president made cuts to programs that helped contain these type of situations that were funded under Obama. At least 10% in budget cuts for programs that were in place for Swine flu and Ebola outbreaks. His personal hatred for Obama and his policies contributed to the spread of this pandemic, no matter how you spin his presidency, he handled this very poorly. BTW I'm not a democrat nor a republican, registered independent before you label me as left or whatever.

I recognize science and facts and the real fact is his legacy will go down as how poorly he has handled this situation. No matter what he says, and the sad part is his blind supporters will still back him up no matter what the facts are because of "loyalty". 

Admins should lock this thread though. You are right, this is going to get political real fast and I wouldn't hold back my words anymore.
Timo Boll ALC ST 84g | Aibiss 2.1 + Rozena 2.1
Stratus Power Defense ST 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Grass D.TecS 1.2
Samsonov Force Pro BE FL 82g | H3Neo 2.15 + Aurus Select 2.1
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Agreed.  

Moreover, this topic was created to discuss specifically what clubs were doing to handle the threat of virus infection, which, at this point, is pretty moot.Cry  I have no problem with people expanding that discussion to more generally talking about the virus, but politics should be kept out of it.
Ya, people may say "we hate political." but you cannot hide or runaway from it, especially in the coronavirus era. "Can your club re-open" is political already LOLLOLLOLLOL
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:48pm
On the lighter note i cant wait for all of us to get back to our clubs and see how this pandemic affected our ratings. 

I estimate about 100-150 drop for those that don't have tables at home (me included). 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:50pm

God forbid, please.
The problem is that WHO says no mask. Only countires that ask their people using mask can flatten the curve  AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry. However, I believe WHO will say we need to wear mask after CCP has 200 million masks daily production.

Edited by Egghead - 04/01/2020 at 5:54pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 5:58pm
This thread should be closed.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

On the lighter note i cant wait for all of us to get back to our clubs and see how this pandemic affected our ratings. 

I estimate about 100-150 drop for those that don't have tables at home (me included). 
No way, do you forget the over 50pts (??) gain adjustment in the US rating systme? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

C'mon, in this self quarantine era, don't be so harsh  LOLLOL
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

No way, do you forget the over 50pts (??) gain adjustment in the US rating systme? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Im definitely going to drop significantly... i didnt even get to test my new sheet of SP for chopping before this thing went down CryCryCry

Hopefully they wont cancel Joola in November. This is going to be my first team tournament.
mentortt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 7:15pm
I think Joola team tournament this year will break new record again. 
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 8:49pm
'I can't imagine what the leader of the free world has to deal with in times like these but I'm sure he's doing whatever he can. ' -

What era are we living in now ?  Is there a free world somewhere ?  anywhere ? what is a free world ?LOL
Iloveplayingtabletennis
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

God forbid, please.
The problem is that WHO says no mask. Only countires that ask their people using mask can flatten the curve  AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry. However, I believe WHO will say we need to wear mask after CCP has 200 million masks daily production.

Mask wearing prevents the asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus around. So yeah it's very useful. 
I don't really understand the thing about mask shortages, it should be quite simple to ask the factories to really boost production, especially if the government steps in with the money.
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

You are welcome to peruse all the other thousands of threads on MyTableTennis.net
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I have no problem with people expanding that discussion to more generally talking about the virus, but politics should be kept out of it.

Unfortunately, politics is part of it because governments are responsible for pandemic responses and major public health emergencies. 

One thing I noticed at the start of this thread is that a lot of people really didn't want their clubs to close.  There was substantial skepticism even though lots of people were dying around the world.  It couldn't happen here, right?  At most 1,000 people might die, right?  Definitely wrong. 

That viewpoint reflects a profound failure of the government to communicate early on the extent of the emergency and take appropriate actions.  And the information was there to know how bad this was going to be (and take steps).  It wasn't just Trump of course (although there is a consensus among pretty much everyone in the public health community that he has made this thing a lot worse).  There was the senator who sold off almost his entire stock portfolio after he received intel briefings, while at the same time making public statements that this was no big deal (echoing the White House at that time), but warning his close friends that this was going to be bad (there is an audio recording).  There were governors who refused to take obvious steps to protect their states.

But yes, I can see how this thread is going to make some people uncomfortable.  People have said their piece.  So it is time to lock it.  I am going to start another one that will focus ONLY on biological and medical aspects of this, news and information, and actions people might be able to take to protect themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic