Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virus response: Clubs doing anything different?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedVirus response: Clubs doing anything different?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by SignatureDish81 SignatureDish81 wrote:

If clubs are operating out of community centers, in a community where no cases have been reported in the county or neighboring counties, should they close down their clubs if local school systems/universities are closing?

I would assume that there are cases around you even if not reported.  In the US there is almost no testing, but this thing clearly spreads VERY rapidly.  I would do what schools and universities are doing.
Sponsored Links

sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by SignatureDish81 SignatureDish81 wrote:

If clubs are operating out of community centers, in a community where no cases have been reported in the county or neighboring counties, should they close down their clubs if local school systems/universities are closing?

I would assume that there are cases around you even if not reported.  In the US there is almost no testing, but this thing clearly spreads VERY rapidly.  I would do what schools and universities are doing.

That is the safest course, while travelling outside we are able to control not touching our face or clean our hands with sanitizer or washing frequently. While playing that is impossible, sweat, towelling, picking up stuff, touching here and there, ball picking. 

Sometimes being safe is better than being sorry. I would choose safe for now. WHO does not lightly declare viruses as pandemic, this one is pandemic so how quickly it can reach your country or community and spread will be known after it impacts. 

Not playing for couple of weeks and closing down may contain it
SignatureDish81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 10:11am
Good advice Baal and Sunny, thanks.
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 10:20am
I already see changed world for now, international matches they are not shaking hands with opponents, umpires or with coaches.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 11:03am
HI,

What will be interesting to observe is all the table tennis businesses that close due to this.

Thanks.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 1:34pm
I'm 100% sure there is enough toilet paper and bottled water at the local club here in Markham *cough CCTTA* LOL
*sigh*
kevo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 1:36pm
We shut our club down indefinitely, as of yesterday. The whole of Ireland, in fact, is on 'lockdown'--not as ominous as it sounds as shops etc. are still open, free movement, most public transport still running. Concerts and many weddings, funerals etc. postponed. Pubs still full of liberated college students but hey, who wasn't a student once?

All sporting organisations have issued cease and desist orders to clubs etc., including Table Tennis Ireland. All schools, universities, libraries, museums etc. closed. Much panic buying in supermarkets yesterday just after the announcement was made, but calm today. Very quiet in fact; hardly any kids out playing, as I'd expected. People generally very much in favour of trying to 'get ahead' of things with this virus as a country. Word is, we are 2 weeks behind Italy in the viral progress and our health care system is struggling to cope with things as it is. Table tennis seems, all of a sudden, rather trivial. Be safe and healthy everyone! 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 3:01pm
If USATT leagues cancel, what would this do to the revenue stream of non members paying the $25 rating access fee?

On a curious and more serious note, most countries seem to have a mortality rate 3-4% on a site I'm checking out. However, I noticed Germany's mortality rate, more like 0.23%, is less than one tenth of the norm. Could it be inaccurate numbers or is something different there?

A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.
KiwiPong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 4:21pm
Paddle Palace Club in Oregon is closed for two weeks starting today! 
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Starting March 16th, Maryland Table Tennis Center (MDTTC) in Maryland, USA, is closing for an indefinite period of time.

MDTTC is a business.

Thanks.

Major amendment: 
1)  The closure is effective Friday afternoon, March 13th
2)  Private lessons are available 

Thanks

Edited by DonnOlsen - 03/13/2020 at 4:25pm
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
MrLee4ATTC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 4:48pm
Colorado Springs – USA Table Tennis has announced the suspension of all USATT events including activities and camps for 30 days effective immediately. This is as a result of the recent outbreak of COVID-19 virus throughout the world. This includes this weekend’s 2020 USATT Hopes Program / Road to L.A. March 13th-15th in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The USATT will continue to monitor the environment and will make necessary changes to keep us all safe and healthy

Out of an abundance of caution, and in an effort to limit any potential exposure to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the USA Table Tennis Association will be postponing all events to be protective of our athletes, officials, staff and the public,” said Chad Knasinski, Director of Marketing and Communications for USATT. “Please visit www.USATT.org for updates on upcoming events.” 

All USATT sanctioned tournaments that are canceled due to the Coronavirus, USATT will credit the tournament sanction fee to their next event.

For more information, please contact Sean O'Neill, USATT High-Performance Director at [email protected].  For tournament information, please contact Tina Ren at [email protected]

Lee
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 5:05pm
Just by glancing over the court, our club's attendance rate appears to be normal.

Does your club experience a significant drop in attendance rate (due to this covid-19)?
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 5:25pm
One data point, last night was less than half normal turnout.  I'm traveling next week so I won't be back at the club until the week after, if it is still open.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 5:35pm
We had a very light turnout for league night on Wednesday. 
Lee
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 5:58pm
So far, one club's attendance rate appears to be normal (no visible drop in attendance rate.) That's our club.

Two clubs (reported by other posters) have experienced visible drop in attendance rate.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 7:05pm
I was at the club on Thursday. About 50% of normal attendance.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 7:44pm
Our club had mostly normal turnout last night, but I know of three of our most "regular" players who are staying home out of fear of the virus.

A bigger issue for us is that we just cancelled our Stellan Bengtsson training camp, which was schedule for two weeks from now.  Very sad.Cry
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 9:47pm
Anyone mention the habit of many players wiping their sweaty hands on the table ? especially 
near the net.  Even though some may think, what are the chances ?  - luck of the draw!!
I'm just putting it out there as this is the same as a door knob or door handle even when dry. 

One of my habits I should stop doing is blowing on the ball before serving in a game.

Butterfly TB ALC fl
FH: Tenergy 05Hard 2.1
BH: Tenergy 80 2.1

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-P Hard 2.1
BH: Tibhar Aurus 2.1
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2020 at 11:05pm
The club has been shutdown! ...indefinitely 
Lightspin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 3:52am
Three local clubs went from "open only for lessons and private practice between coaches" to completely closed to everyone including coaches with no exceptions.  This is tough because the coaches aren't going to be able to make any money at all while this virus is going around.  Also a few of the coaches are professional players visiting from China and won't be able to practice at all.   Stay safe everyone!
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 5:35am
Hi,

This is from the New York Times advice section today on the Corona:

How can I prepare for a possible outbreak?
Keep a 30-day supply of essential medicines. Get a flu shot. Have essential household items on hand. Have a support system in place for elderly family members.

Get your flu shots.

Thanks.
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 6:40am
I heard an interesting suggestion to relieve concerns of the ball being "unclean" in a match. Each player brings his own ball to a match. The server always uses his ball. When the ball is on the receiver's end after a point, he can brush it with his racket or kick it back to the server if it's on the floor.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 6:43am
If anyone is concerned that the ball can become contaminated, I heard an interesting suggestion to play a match. Each player brings his ball and the server always uses his ball. When the ball winds up in the receiver's end after a point, he can brush it back on the table to the net or kick it back on the floor.

Edited by heavyspin - 03/14/2020 at 6:46am
GaryBuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 12:07pm
Currently, the only way we can fight the spread of the virus is by social distancing: i.e. everyone staying at home and not mixing with others. Everyone should do this—now. This is not panic, but prevention: a lesson learned from the other places in the world that have faced the virus already. The earlier people isolate from each other, and the more effectively they do it, the more lives are saved. That means no social contact at all, not for any reason at all—the only contact between people should be that which is necessary to maintain life and health, and that kept to an absolute  minimum.

This will help save the lives of the doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, EMTs, and other public servants on the front line, who must face the virus as they fight the epidemic, and who are already dying in large numbers world wide. We owe them our support. By distancing ourselves from others, we not only protect our own lives, but we protect the lives others, and give the medical services the maximum chance of success.

My grandmother used to say: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But in this case, we currently have no cure, we only have prevention.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 12:54pm
I am traveling three weeks out of next four, family obligations, not work, so not canceling.  Every club I was planning to play in has closed.

North AL TT Huntsville closed
WDC TT closed
Nova TTC closed
Gunston (Arlington Va) closed

There is no TT anywhere for a few months probably.  I have a table in my garage.  Unfortunately it won't fit in my Camry but I can practice when I get home.  And by the time this is over my serves will be a hell.of a lot better, assuming I survive, and there is a surviving club to use them at.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 4:55pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_latency

WHY INFLUENZA RECURRING OFTENTIMES.
Quote However, the viral genome is not fully eradicated. The result of this is that the virus can reactivate and begin producing large amounts of viral progeny (the lytic part of the viral life cycle) without the host becoming reinfected by new outside virus, and stays within the host indefinitely.[2]

AS A MATTER OF FACT, CORONA IS UNCURABLE MUCH LIKE THE GHON'S TUBERCULESIS COMPLEX.

Edited by igorponger - 03/14/2020 at 5:06pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 8:35pm

Attention Austin Table Tennis Members:

The safety and well being of our members is of the highest concern, therefore we have decided, out of caution and the with the possible spread of Corona virus in Austin, to close the club until April 6th, 2020. At that time we will re-evaluate and decide if further closure will be necessary. All coaching and events will be rescheduled at a later date to be determined. During this time we wish you and your loved ones a safe time away from the club.

Lee
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 9:09pm
Our club was open this afternoon and we had a medium turn out.  What was interesting was the conversation.  I had previously talked with a number of our most regular players who said they would be staying away for at least a few weeks and thought it was crazy to go to club.  The people at the club today thought it crazy over-reacting to stay away from our club and have no intention of stopping.  Of course, this included me.

I should add our club is a large space and is never crowded, and we all know each other.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 9:25pm
Hi,

AS A MATTER OF FACT, CORONA IS UNCURABLE MUCH LIKE THE GHON'S TUBERCULESIS COMPLEX.

More precisely, there is not a standard medical system treatment cure for this disease, like many diseases for which there is not a cure.

A person's immunological and disease-fighting mechanisms can and almost always do cure the inflected person, at a reported success rate of 97%.

Thanks. 

Edited by DonnOlsen - 03/14/2020 at 10:07pm
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Our club was open this afternoon and we had a medium turn out.  What was interesting was the conversation.  I had previously talked with a number of our most regular players who said they would be staying away for at least a few weeks and thought it was crazy to go to club.  The people at the club today thought it crazy over-reacting to stay away from our club and have no intention of stopping.  Of course, this included me.

I should add our club is a large space and is never crowded, and we all know each other.

Crazy overreaction?  Given what we have seen already, there is no reason to think what is going on in Italy won't happen here in just couple more weeks.  You can easily Google the situation there.  Most typically viruses fo spread between people who know each other, don't let that make you feel safe.

Edited by Baal - 03/14/2020 at 9:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic