Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virus response: Clubs doing anything different?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedVirus response: Clubs doing anything different?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 9:51pm
Once I get started in Wikipedia it's hard to stop.  So anyone know the age and origin of the word propaganda itself?  I did not.

the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith (LatinSacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide), or simply the Propaganda FideIt was founded by Pope Gregory XV in 1622 to arrange missionary work on behalf of the various religious institutions, and in 1627 Pope Urban VIII established within it a training college for missionaries, the Pontificio Collegio Urbano de Propaganda Fide
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

There are bad actors on both sides for sure. But regardless of how anti CCP you are, you'll still be equally targeted (along with the rest of Asians) if someone decides to lynch or kill Chinese as "retribution" for the virus. So maybe show some solidarity?
"bad actors on both sides" <- haha what %, I see you rather come here then stay in china

plz, don't label me an anti-CCP (反黨分子), you are making up stuff and are putting my life in danger

And what solidarity? I am just a simple Canadian, and I am telling the fact here. 

Edited by Egghead - 03/22/2020 at 1:05am
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 10:39pm
I truly think people know better. Racism is often related to economics, in the lines "you make more money, your people are bad and want to take over the world. You are successful so you are a threat to me." It happened in the USA in Tulsa, in Europe before and during WWII and everywhere in the world through history. We just go to those stupid extremes all the time. Extremist, angry, jealous, opportunistic and violent minorities will take us there on a regular basis.
Today is different: we got a common enemy that does not differentiate between races, religions, nations, levels of wealth so there is an unspoken rule that even morons will respect: we observe a truce to kill this thing and we resume our little feuds later. It's a bit like the internet and its bigger nodes: terrorists need it as much as we do so they won't attack its infrastructure.
I can imagine Trump and other leaders trying to make China pay later on and that could become ugly. It would be a very aggressive move from angry losers who can't fight on the economic war known to be lost in advance, maybe 50 years at most? I am not optimistic about this because in an American presidential election year, the temptation to try anything to be reelected will be too high to resist; especially with how much money we are currently printing to fund the fight, and it's only the beginning.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

There are bad actors on both sides for sure. But regardless of how anti CCP you are, you'll still be equally targeted (along with the rest of Asians) if someone decides to lynch or kill Chinese as "retribution" for the virus. So maybe show some solidarity?
plz, don't label me an anti-CCP (反黨分子), you are making up stuff and are putting my life in danger

And what solidarity? I am just a simple Canadian, and I am telling the fact here. 

Lmao way to miss the point. There's many legitimate concerns about the CCP which unfortunately, are often twisted by racists to justify their attacks and stir up hatred against the Asian community. There's already been a spike of racism related incidents relating to the coronavirus, why continue to embolden them? 

Regardless of what you think, when people see you, you're not just a Canadian but a Chinese Canadian. You will never be able to change your skin colour, unfortunately. 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 11:19pm

Lmao way to miss the point. There's many legitimate concerns about the CCP which unfortunately, are often twisted by racists to justify their attacks and stir up hatred against the Asian community. There's already been a spike of racism related incidents relating to the coronavirus, why continue to embolden them? 

Regardless of what you think, when people see you, you're not just a Canadian but a Chinese Canadian. You will never be able to change your skin colour, unfortunately. 
Whatnever you said?
If you want to live under the "Chinese", it is your choice. Don't force it into others, be civilize, we are live outside of the wall now.

BTW, what is racist? did you see a black man discriminate a white man? Now, China is so strong now, #2 in the world,  How can white people discriminate Chinese? did you think we are in the old china? We are live in the new china. did you watch "利害了我的國" "戰狼" "China 2025"? unless you are saying they are all fake.

Edited by Egghead - 03/20/2020 at 11:26pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I truly think people know better. Racism is often related to economics, in the lines "you make more money, your people are bad and want to take over the world. You are successful so you are a threat to me." It happened in the USA in Tulsa, in Europe before and during WWII and everywhere in the world through history. We just go to those stupid extremes all the time. Extremist, angry, jealous, opportunistic and violent minorities will take us there on a regular basis.
Today is different: we got a common enemy that does not differentiate between races, religions, nations, levels of wealth so there is an unspoken rule that even morons will respect: we observe a truce to kill this thing and we resume our little feuds later. It's a bit like the internet and its bigger nodes: terrorists need it as much as we do so they won't attack its infrastructure.
I can imagine Trump and other leaders trying to make China pay later on and that could become ugly. It would be a very aggressive move from angry losers who can't fight on the economic war known to be lost in advance, maybe 50 years at most? I am not optimistic about this because in an American presidential election year, the temptation to try anything to be reelected will be too high to resist; especially with how much money we are currently printing to fund the fight, and it's only the beginning.

Trump is someone who wants to see the world burn. I hope the American people come to their senses this year but maybe that's wishing for too much. I just don't wanna experience a fking world war in my lifetime, is that too much to ask for? 
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 1:01am
How about we steer this gem of a thread back to the wacky virus prevention techniques and the oddball conspiracy theories...

otherwise, it's going to get a rough case of LOCKORONA VIRUS! 
darucla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 9:12am
Here in GB, all of the table tennis competitions shut down, is it only last week? (OMG it seems like another lifetime.)  My club opened for the last time last Friday 13th March.  One of the other clubs was saying it was still open for casual play on the following Thursday.

Yesterday, our Mini-Trump, Boris Johnson, enforced closure of all pubs, cafes, restaurants and leisure centres. I suspect that the Paris option of enforcing staying at home will occur soon, at least in London and other large cities. I live in a semi-rural area, right on the edge of a small city, with farmland on 3 sides and a supermarket on the other. As an at-risk person, I have been given a kind of lifeline in the form of my supermarket opening for an hour three times a week only for my kind.  

The good news is that the shelves of the supermarket are starting to look a little more normal.  In other good news, there is a science research park quite nearby, and one of companies based there has announced the imminent availability of a home self-testing kit.  Not quite as good as a home cure, but a useful step. Unfortunately, I can't find the actual reference to the new kit, stuff is flowing across the news feeds so quickly that things get buried.

Edited by darucla - 03/21/2020 at 10:28am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 10:36am
I wonder if some of our fellow members have some internet connectivity issues?  There has been an uptick in the For Sale section of people not responding to PMs and emails. 
darucla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 10:38am
My internet seems very sluggish.  I suspect huge increase in use, especially in home systems as opposed to dedicated business lines.  (Or whatever).
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by darucla darucla wrote:

My internet seems very sluggish.  I suspect huge increase in use, especially in home systems as opposed to dedicated business lines.  (Or whatever).
Wednesday night was the worest. Now, it is sort of ok now. 

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2020 at 2:45pm
a local club is using their side entrance while the front is locked Dead

“These are very serious,” said Pegg. “An individual found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment of up to one year. A director or officer of a corporation who is found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 and imprisonment of up to one year. A corporation who is found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $10 million.” It is police – and not by-law officers – who would administer any fines or charges.
Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg, who is the head of the city’s Office of Emergency Management

if you guys have tables at home just hit with a few friends Wink

Edited by Charlie Brown - 03/21/2020 at 8:14pm
*sigh*
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 4:37am
The virus response good for all.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

“These are very serious,” said Pegg. “An individual found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment of up to one year. A director or officer of a corporation who is found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 and imprisonment of up to one year. A corporation who is found guilty of violating these orders is subject to a fine of up to $10 million.” It is police – and not by-law officers – who would administer any fines or charges.
Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg, who is the head of the city’s Office of Emergency Management

Did Ont. gov't order all non-essential businesses to close? I thought that it was optional. Confused
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 6:00pm
Update: It is Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6 p.m. Eastern U.S.A.

President Donald Trump, at a press conference, just said "Chinese virus".

No change.

Thanks.
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm
darucla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Update: It is Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6 p.m. Eastern U.S.A.

President Donald Trump, at a press conference, just said "Chinese virus".

No change.

Thanks.
  You have the chance to get rid of this prat very soon.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

Dude, your friend may look healthy, kick your ass on the table, a d still infect you.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 2:55pm
The governor of Oregon just issued a shelter in place executive order and we promptly followed with the closing of our club.

What's interesting is that she had been resistant to making this order, but apparently a lot of people went to the beach this weekend due to the nice weather.  That convinced her that a lot of people weren't taking this seriously enough.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 5:41pm
Just closed the Corps of Engineers park at Canyon Lake ( San Antonio area).  Friend letting me stay at his boat storage business for a week till my reservation at private RV park kicks in.  He has a 2 table setup  so I may get to hit with him if my back gets better.  Some seniors from Corpus are coming over to his place since they shut down senior center.  I think I will stay away from that group just in case.

Mark

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Just closed the Corps of Engineers park at Canyon Lake ( San Antonio area).  Friend letting me stay at his boat storage business for a week till my reservation at private RV park kicks in.  He has a 2 table setup  so I may get to hit with him if my back gets better.  Some seniors from Corpus are coming over to his place since they shut down senior center.  I think I will stay away from that group just in case.

Mark

Glad you posted.  Hope you were able to round up some supplies.  I would stay away from playing if for no other reason than you can't tell from just looking at someone if they may be able to spread this thing.  For now, I haven't read of any cases in Corpus but the key thing is that without testing you can't know how many people might be walking around with it, and Corpus is a place lots of people like to visit. 

Back pain sucks too. I know this all too well.

Be healthy!
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

... Actually, if the guy who visits a Dunkin Donuts using a slight Indian accent wins, his handlers and special interests inimical to our country's best interests will be calling the shots.

Are you OK?
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

a senile crook

There is definitely a senile crook involved.  We disagree on which direction to look for him.  Why not simply let the unbiased results decide?

In the immortal words of Ronnie Raygun "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

If you are then keep the guy you got.  If you are worse off, throw the bum out. Simple and effective.

Edited by BRS - 03/24/2020 at 12:52pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

In the immortal words of Ronnie Raygun "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

I would argue that in most circumstances, that's actually pretty poor advice.

First, comparing anything now to anything in the past is generally unhelpful.  That past is, well, past.  If you want to know if a past decision was good one, then you need to compare where you really are right now with where you think you might have ended up if you had made a different choice in the past.

Second, if you're trying to make a decision about the future, then you really want to know which decision will give you the best future and the past isn't part of that.

Third, the end destination isn't the only thing that matters; what happens on your journey is also important.

If you're talking about, say, elections, looking at the past is useful in judging a politician's character and policies.  Unfortunately, such an evaluation is never unbiased; it's not like measuring scientific data.  We view the past, both people and events, from our personal perspective and that biases our evaluations.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Mark

Glad you posted.  Hope you were able to round up some supplies.  I would stay away from playing if for no other reason than you can't tell from just looking at someone if they may be able to spread this thing.  For now, I haven't read of any cases in Corpus but the key thing is that without testing you can't know how many people might be walking around with it, and Corpus is a place lots of people like to visit. 

Back pain sucks too. I know this all too well.

Be healthy!

Corpus has known positives now....
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 3:03pm
Just checked on curbside pickup for groceries.  Have to wait 1 full week for a time spot.  Also about half the things I wanted were not even listed on website and big note that anything I choose may not be available.

So now I have to make a choice between starving to death or getting exposed to the virus.  Is there an online book on urban foraging (talking about edible weeds and flowers not dumpster diving)?

Mark -  Who got no response to his "Will coach TT for food"  sign held up at the corner on main street.

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 3:44pm

Just checked on curbside pickup for groceries.  Have to wait 1 full week for a time spot.  Also about half the things I wanted were not even listed on website and big note that anything I choose may not be available.

So now I have to make a choice between starving to death or getting exposed to the virus.  Is there an online book on urban foraging (talking about edible weeds and flowers not dumpster diving)?

Mark -  Who got no response to his "Will coach TT for food"  sign held up at the corner on main street.

Around here there are early hours for at-risk people who want to go to the grocery store. Just make sure to use the wipes on the cart handle and keep that social distance while you are in the store. Oh, and don't expect any toilet paper.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 4:06pm

Available on Amazon my uncle Ed's book  "Sturtevant's edible plants of the world"  $31
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 4:38pm
I hear it is currently right difficult to get tested in Texas, unless you pretty much state that you have recently mud wrestled with a known infected person.

For real, I have a relative in Texas who has the flu symptoms consistent with what is published for corona virus, but has been refused testing all three times she tried since she cannot prove or say she has been in contact with a confirmed infected person. Even having recently traveled oversees in a region 3 or 4 zone is not enough to get her a test she says.

EDIT: She self-isolated herself as a precaution upon returning to USA, then developed symptoms later. (not life threatening ones though)

Edited by BH-Man - 03/24/2020 at 4:40pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 4:43pm
I think those criteria have been relaxed in Houston area now because most of the spread is now community.  The problem is there simply aren't test kits available.

This is utterly insane. 

Our nation had a bunch of weeks to get ready for this and clearly did nothing. 

Starting midnight tonight there is a stay-at-home order in Houston and surrounding area.  Also in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio.  It's not like Italy where the cops will arrest you if they see you -- not yet.

Edited by Baal - 03/24/2020 at 4:45pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2020 at 4:50pm

Mark, I used the HEB service for the first time today.  I placed my order about 3 days ago, reserved a time today (930 AM) to have curbside loading.  I pull into the parking lot, text the space number to a phone number they provide, and open my trunk.  About five minutes later a guy comes out and puts my groceries in the trunk.  It worked really well, except that you are right, some stuff is pretty low supply.  Fortunately I don't live 45 min from a grocery store, but if you plan ahead I still think this is your best option.  Planning ahead, I made another order last night, and I will be able to pick up on Saturday.  This time I ordered a lot more stuff.

Kroger in Houston is offering the same deal, but their app was a little more finicky to use.

So even if you have to wait a week, I still recommend this to you. 

Edited by Baal - 03/24/2020 at 4:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic