Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virus response: Clubs doing anything different?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedVirus response: Clubs doing anything different?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
MrLee4ATTC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virus response: Clubs doing anything different?
    Posted: 03/05/2020 at 10:56am
Just wondering if any clubs have taken any actions to minimize risk for people playing at local clubs? 

Seems obvious to provide hand sanitizer (if you can find it right now) and possibly have a handout with tips to minimize risk (fist bump instead of handshake, etc.). 

Curious what’s going on in your club...

Edited by MrLee4ATTC - 03/05/2020 at 11:00am
Lee
Sponsored Links

Lightspin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 11:48am
Nothing out of the ordinary here except a few clients are canceling lessons over concerns about the virus.  
CraigKid333 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 12:21pm
It seems to me it will be fairly difficult to deal with.
At the very least, every two points the ball is being touched by the other player and could be every point.
Players tend to touch the table (near the net) in the same general area.
Players sweat goes literally all over!
I'm not sure how you can control these things with no handshake and hand sanitizer?
There are probably a dozen other things I haven't even thought of.
But I am NOT advocating for canceling play.
Maybe that makes me crazy?  lol

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 12:53pm
We're not doing anything about it.  I think the media is making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.  When the media scares you, they control you.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 2:52pm
There is no change in our club.  Life goes on as usual.
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 5:54pm
Our league has recommended the elbow touch instead of a handshake. 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

+1 Tongue
Photino /TBS Black Tag: D05 (FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 7:16pm
Some changes in Japan. A lot of local clubs in my area have barred school students from participating for the time being. So far it's set to the same period as school are closed for.

There is however a little more risk here in Japan.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 7:57pm
A NY club cancelled its tournament for this Sunday.
A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 8:07pm
We have had a note up for a while at the club saying if you have traveled to mainland China to please quarantine for two weeks before coming to play. But no, not any real change.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

A NY club cancelled its tournament for this Sunday.

That reminds me... both local tournaments this month were cancelled too. Probably the same for a lot of areas in Japan.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 10:47pm
in our club we give hugs and kissesLOL
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2020 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

in our club we give hugs and kissesLOL

Is yours an all male club?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 3:17am
California is in state of emergency over corona.

I played in a huge tourney last weekend.

Our local club has a double tourney in a few weeks. A week after that, there is a teams tourney in my city that maybe 100 players attend.

3 firefighters in the city with the 1st California death involving corona infected man had a serious overnight cleaning of some schools.

League happened in our local club with around 40-50 players.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 4:00am
Early stages still in the US.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 4:38am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

We're not doing anything about it.  I think the media is making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.  When the media scares you, they control you.

Contrarian rubbish like this can only contribute to unnecessary spreading of the virus.  You aren't being asked to do much extra at the moment - wash your hands more, avoid too much physical contact with others.  Ignore the media saturation if you want - fair enough- but please put more effort in.  Every little piece of effort made by every individual reduces the overall risk of transmitting the virus, slowing its progress, and potentially avoiding infecting others.

One of the biggest dangers is rampant "mah media" groupthink.  It's possible to be anti-media (whatever your reason might be), while still understanding that citizens have a collective responsibility here.  Just bypass the media and look at the medical advice directly if you feel more comfortable.  Then wash your hands and think about how your behaviour might be impacting those around you.  But don't make others suffer so you can make some sort of point about "the media".
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 10:12am
I'm not a virologist or an epidemiologist but I teach at a medical school.

One of the things to keep in mind is that based on clinical data from other countries, somewhere just under 18% of cases are "serious" or "critical"*.  Serious means you have pneumonia that requires hospitalization.  Critical means you are in an ICU attached to a respirator and your odds of survival are a coin toss.  So even if you don't die this virus is no joke, and if you don't have health insurance in the US and end up for a week in the hospital you are going to be financially screwed.  Remember, humans don't have very much built up immunity to this thing.  And the US health system has never dealt with something quite like this before (in contrast to Asia, where they had prior experience with SARS1).

So it pays to take reasonable precautions.  I advise taking this very seriously.  To say this is some sort of media hoax is misguided. 

*  It is as far as I know impossible to say if that same proportion will hold true in the US, but it could.

Edited by Baal - 03/06/2020 at 10:13am
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 2:31pm
i've stopped playing for about 3 months now, not worth the risks.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 4:24pm
Load nuts, oat meal, cans, tp up and stay home if you can afford it, it does add up to the safe measures, one person at a time, it does reduce overall risk. In WA state we have this:

Easy to pretend that the media is exaggerating, they always do but if this is a flu like epidemic, and flu kills many people every year, this one scares me way more than ever.

I recommend watching this video, it's the best explanation of how that virus works I got so far, brilliant young men!!!

All we can do best right now is eating anything that strengthen our immune system. There are plenty of websites that lists foods that do that. This is the moment to be healthy so let's get ready to battle if needed and eat the good stuff!

Lightspin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 6:00pm
In the last week there have been 3 large exhibitions at clubs in the area.  People aren't shaking hands as much but they are still showing up.  The organizers didn't even consider cancelling the events. 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

+1 Tongue
+1
Just a notes posted outside: "Don't come in to play if you hv flu symptoms or have been to China, JPN .... in the last few weeks " (someting like that)
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2020 at 9:41pm
Hi,

The Maryland Table Tennis Center - MDTTC - canceled their Friday League today due to the Corona.

Thanks.
Technique is a false culture.
Veet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2020 at 2:52am
At our club, we've have made it mandatory to boil players, before letting them into the play-area .. 
Simas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

At our club, we've have made it mandatory to boil players, before letting them into the play-area .. 
Drop here!

I've doubled on my hourly absinthe intake. Heard that alcohol of 70% and up kills the virus.

On more serious note, no, nothing has changed in my club. I myself try to wash hands often and carefully and not to touch my face (that's harder done than said). Also, there are alcohol tissues at the club to clean surfaces, so I try to use them more often.

If the things go south, I will stop going to the club as I can work from home and stay low for some time. I have some food reserves and respirators too...
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2020 at 3:37pm
It doesn't matter how proud you are, or how stoic you feel, or if you think you're somehow more of a rugged stud than all these snowflakes who are warning of the dangers.  It's a virus, highly contagious, with a mortality rate much higher than flu.  Pretending it isn't and carrying on as normal is just going to increase the spread of it, so more people will die.  That's all.  No grey areas.  The end.

Italy's latest stats are really bad, and they're reacted to it in a serious way.  The worst thing Italians could do would be to say "it's just the flu" and ignore all that their government is trying to do to slow the spread of the virus.

The worst thing is that slowing the initial spread is quite simple with basic hygiene procedures.  But no - there's always a bunch of hardcore contrarians who are just desperate to contort themselves in knots to ignore the advice coming from health professionals.  "I'm going to shake everyone's hand just to prove a point!".  Of course, there's no way to know how many people you might infect, or how many people those people might infect, so there's no definitive way to link a specific person's incredible hubris and selfishness to another person's poor outcome 2 or 3 degrees of separation away.  But make no mistake - all you do is increase the risk to everyone around you in an increasing sphere of influence.  You may be healthy, get infected, recover, and say "what was all the fuss about".  But you'll never know about the 10 people you infected because you refused to wash your hands more often.  And the 100 people those 10 people infected.  And statistically, over 3 of those 100 people will be dead as the current state of the data shows (changing all the time of course).

Don't panic.  Wash your hands.  Follow the advice given by your local health agencies.  Save lives, although you'll never know the people you save and they won't know you.

Italy - Day 15 - Infected 5061 - Deaths 233
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
MrLee4ATTC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2020 at 3:50pm
Lee
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

It doesn't matter how proud you are, or how stoic you feel, or if you think you're somehow more of a rugged stud than all these snowflakes who are warning of the dangers.  It's a virus, highly contagious, with a mortality rate much higher than flu.  Pretending it isn't and carrying on as normal is just going to increase the spread of it, so more people will die.  That's all.  No grey areas.  The end.

Italy's latest stats are really bad, and they're reacted to it in a serious way.  The worst thing Italians could do would be to say "it's just the flu" and ignore all that their government is trying to do to slow the spread of the virus.

The worst thing is that slowing the initial spread is quite simple with basic hygiene procedures.  But no - there's always a bunch of hardcore contrarians who are just desperate to contort themselves in knots to ignore the advice coming from health professionals.  "I'm going to shake everyone's hand just to prove a point!".  Of course, there's no way to know how many people you might infect, or how many people those people might infect, so there's no definitive way to link a specific person's incredible hubris and selfishness to another person's poor outcome 2 or 3 degrees of separation away.  But make no mistake - all you do is increase the risk to everyone around you in an increasing sphere of influence.  You may be healthy, get infected, recover, and say "what was all the fuss about".  But you'll never know about the 10 people you infected because you refused to wash your hands more often.  And the 100 people those 10 people infected.  And statistically, over 3 of those 100 people will be dead as the current state of the data shows (changing all the time of course).

Don't panic.  Wash your hands.  Follow the advice given by your local health agencies.  Save lives, although you'll never know the people you save and they won't know you.

Italy - Day 15 - Infected 5061 - Deaths 233
My thoughts, exactly. We are living scary times and we need to trust our fellow more than ever at the same time they trust us to do the right thing: minimizing risk.

Let's stay home if we can and wait, that's the only way the black plague in the middle age eventually stopped spreading, I understand the 2 diseases are not the same at all but the strategy to contain them presents the same simplicity: don't go out, stay home.

In modern "zero stock" Toyota like strategies, the food chain might suffer so loading the shelves up with food that does not waste is a good idea. 

It's not panic, we just make sure we are not a concern for anybody else at the same time we maximize our chances  to stay healthy, we isolate ourselves and wait for better days.

For those who must go out to work, avoiding physical contact and washing hands often is key as we know. I am not sure how useful those masks are if an infected person coughs and sneezes close to us but at least it shows that the person is willing to do something and wants to stay away. There is no such thing too little precaution here.

Best wishes to all and their loved ones.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2020 at 6:44pm
I stopped playing TT at clubs pretty much and am now just focusing on my piano YouTube channel :)

-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2020 at 10:39am
I am into elbow bumps after matches. I would not be surprised if more events are cancelled. If you have a robot at home you should be good and maybe gain a few rating points once things blow over...If they blow over. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I am into elbow bumps after matches. I would not be surprised if more events are cancelled. If you have a robot at home you should be good and maybe gain a few rating points once things blow over...If they blow over. 

People were doing 'air fist bumps', 'elbow bumps', and 'foot shakes' at the club yesterday. It was full as usual, though.
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic