Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscaria vs. TBS (Mystery Solved)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
szyszuniaije View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote szyszuniaije Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria vs. TBS (Mystery Solved)
    Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:40pm
I created this side view of both blades using CAD software.
Both images were taken from new 2015 butterfly catalog found at butterfly.tt

This image hopefully explains why Viscaria plays different from TBS despite being same materials and same thickness of 5.9mm.

If assuming the ALC layers in both blades are the same:
Viscaria has thinner outer layer, where as TBS has it thicker (ALC layer in viscaria is closer to the outside sort of like outter-force lol)

On the second image, I increased contrast and (you be the judge) it looks as Viscaria might have a tiny bit thicker ALC layer.

Hope this helps if not disregard!

FYI: Don't buy rubbers that claim to be specially designed for POLYBALL/plastic... this is ALL just a marketing tool! Just stay with what you have-trust me!
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:45pm
Nice analysis. Very helpful.
Not a follower of the Viscaria vs TBS comparison - can someone summarizes major playing differences?
Just want to understand based on these measurements.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:51pm
I have owned many of each and there is not a lot of difference, actually the variation within the group is only slightly less than the variation between the groups.  In other words, a TBS and a Viscaria could be more similar to each other than two Viscarias.  But handles are a bit different in shape and feel.  It might depend a lot on which series you get.  My Viscarias tended to feel softer a little (maybe), but that is less true with the more recently made ones I think.  The handle is a much bigger difference and it is a question of taste or what you are more used to.  And even that is not a really big difference.

With that said, I am glad the OP posted this.  I wonder if it would hold true over many different examples of each?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szyszuniaije Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:52pm
From my experience, both are awesome blades-one of the best ones available and still fairly OK price among Butterfly blades.
When it comes to how they play, there are tons of reviews and some players say they are the same some say otherwise. I will tend to say that it is a personal taste, meaning you try both of them and pick the one you like better. I also found Viscaria to be slightly better away from table, where as TBS is better closer. Both are Topspin/Loop Machines as offer great control despite how quick they are. I wouldn't get any faster blade unless you are a hitter or pips player. Also if you notice what pros use, or best players at your club or local tournament you will usually find: (Viscaria, TBS, ALC, Korbel etc) or similar blades by other manufacturers.

Also another thing to mention about the two blades is that TBS has one of the best ST handles ever made, and Viscaria has one of the best FL handles ever made.

Hope this helps :-)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:53pm
Yes, I would say that is it in a nutshell.  TBS ST should be easier to find especially in Europe (for some reason it is hard to find any Btfly blades in ST in US).  You can't go wrong with either one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szyszuniaije Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 2:57pm
I agree with Baal. Viscaria will better suit larger hand where as TBS smaller when it comes to FL handle style. I just purchased a new Viscaria and it already features new Butterfly LOGO on the back of the handel where only two Ovals/circles are found & word "Butterfly" was removed from underneath.
Both these blades will play different if their weight is different...
For example a 90gram TBS will probably be faster than 83gram Viscaria despite what butterly says, so the point is the heavier the blade is the faster it is,,,of course if you can swing it :-)
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 3:06pm
Just looked up the composition: TBS
Koto
Alc
Limba
Kiri

In the OP: Is the size of Limba layer different?

Butterfly MPS
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 3:15pm
BTY TBS ST's have a great feel, especially if you like thick grips like myself. The FL version feels good but seems a bit small. Viscaria FL feels slightly bigger than TBS FL.

I recently switched to my very old Yasaka Sweden Classic ST. That grip is huge. I love it!!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 3:35pm
as AMonteiro said in an other topic, timo boll played with a viscaria before the tbs...
so maybe this is why they are so similar with some adjustments asked by timo to have a better viscaria, the timo boll spirit...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 5:19pm
LIES AND HYPE.

You can't look at the differences between one sample of TBS and one sample of Viscaria, and make conclusions about all the blades.

They are the same blade besides the handles. (i.e. The Viscaria has a different type of FL handle than the TBS.)

Any perceived differences between a Viscaria and TBS (other than the different handle shapes), will be the same differences you will find from one TBS to another TBS, and likewise one Viscaria to another Viscaria.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

LIES AND HYPE.

You can't look at the differences between one sample of TBS and one sample of Viscaria, and make conclusions about all the blades.

They are the same blade besides the handles. (i.e. The Viscaria has a different type of FL handle than the TBS.)

Any perceived differences between a Viscaria and TBS (other than the different handle shapes), will be the same differences you will find from one TBS to another TBS, and likewise one Viscaria to another Viscaria.

I suspect this is true about the dimensions of the different layers mainly because I know it is true about how they play, but I would not put it in quite such strong language as this.  As far as I know nobody has made these kinds of measurements from a larger sample of TBS and Viscaria blades (or from different series of these blades) so we don't actually know if these differences are consistent or just represent some random variation.  We can't say anything one way or the other from this.  So rather than saying something so aggressive as "lies and hype" it might be more forum-friendly to just say "as yet inconclusive". 
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 9:29pm
Comparing only my viscaria and TBS, my TBS has thinner outer than my viscaria. Its the opposite of the blades the OP is comparing. 

Every blade is different, there is no possible generalization, both blades are just made to be identical except handle. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
serveintoattack View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serveintoattack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 9:43pm
don't want to burst anyone's bubble here but not all Viscaria are the same and not all TBS are the same so manufacturing has a slight variation so sometimes when you buy a TBS it can play like a Viscaria and vice-versa. just my 2 cent
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by serveintoattack serveintoattack wrote:

don't want to burst anyone's bubble here but not all Viscaria are the same and not all TBS are the same so manufacturing has a slight variation so sometimes when you buy a TBS it can play like a Viscaria and vice-versa. just my 2 cent

Good point.  It was mentioned in five previous comments on this thread, but it is nevertheless true.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Good point.  It was mentioned in five previous comments on this thread, but it is nevertheless true.
I think some people like to seal their TBS, or their Viscaria, and here comes into play yet another diversifying factor (one sealing job can be quite a bit different than another). 
Still, thanks to the OP for quite precise representation of his blades.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by szyszuniaije szyszuniaije wrote:

Also another thing to mention about the two blades is that TBS has one of the best ST handles ever made, and Viscaria has one of the best FL handles ever made.

I'm curious to hear why you think the handles are 'best'?

I've always felt that handle shape & size is purely personal preference, some people prefer certain style of handles, other prefer different type of handles... I don't think there is a 'best' out there.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 10:22pm

Friends,

I usually don't get into a conversation such as this until someone says something that EXACTLY what I am thinking.  I agree with serveintoattack 100%.  I tried the very first batch of TBS and M. Maze when they had the black metal tags, and I didn't like them at all.  They came out with the silver tags a few years later, then I love them. 

We can sit here and argue about this for the next few years and still going nowhere, until someone can measure 100 Viscarias and 100 TBSs, let's talk then.  For now, I have to agree with serveintoattack's observation.

If you know my blades and my EJ history, you know that I used to have at least 6 or 7 TB T5000 at the same time; however, only 2 of them played similar.  I also had at least 5 of the TB ZLC at one time, but only 2 that I could say they are similar.  I can't even say they played the same.

Edit:  I would like to thank for szyszuniaije his effort.  He spent time to measure and tried to show us the differences/similarities.  It's really cool work.  I like it.

Edited by speedy - 06/16/2015 at 10:31pm
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2015 at 11:19pm
Official answer below says it all.  Both should be the same feel-wise.  One should be faster than the other, though.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2015 at 5:04am
On the new Butterfly catalog (2015), Viscaria, ZJK ALC, TB ALC, TBS are considered the same on the blade matrix (speed and feel).

Page 23 :

http://issuu.com/butterfly.tt/docs/butterfly_catalogue_2015/1?e=4784838/11499284
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2015 at 8:02am
I have suspected, for a long time, that the koto outer for viscaria was selected softer than the Koto for TBS. Just like greenshank and redshank (same blade composition but limba outer is softer on greenshack). 
But it cannot be generalized, I have seen many Viscaria with harder feeling than my TBS. 

Also the Zhang Jike (blue dragon) is just supposed to be also the same blade with different handle, I still own two of them : both are more powerfull than my viscaria/tbs/tbalc for same weight, with bigger sweat spot and with a sharper feeling (you feel better the exact contact point when hitting the ball). But i'm also sure this cannot be generalized. 

Custom viscaria is the real deal, from what i heard, it feels really really better than the mass market viscaria, almost a totally different blade. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 12:22pm
Smile Friends, please pardon my aggressive stance, but:

Its also pretty bogus to measure the thickness of the plies of such a small area of a blade and categorically say that's the thickness of plies on the whole blade.

As any EJ knows, if you look at the edge of a single blade in different places, the thickness of the plies is not consistent. And I'm talking about visually obvious, not even using a caliper.

Viscaria was rebranded as the TBS back in the day, so Butterfly's new star athlete, Timo Boll, could have his own blade. (Along with a new style of handle shapes.) But just like many other rebranded Butterfly blades, they continued to sell the Viscaria. (e.g. Innerforce ZLF, Liu Shiwen.) Likewise, the TB ALC is just a TBS with different handle colors and design, but this time with the same handle shapes. Shocked

Maybe one batch of Arylate polyester fiber can have different characteristics compared to another. Same with the carbon weave, same with the wood layers, etc. Any of these differences, along with any other other standard manufacturing variations can cause one blade to feel and play different from another blade. But that's about it. There is no conspiracy here. No intentional manufacturing variations by the tenth of a mm in the top plies or composite layer. No softer selection of outer plies, blah blah blah.... 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 1:01pm
Actually the handle on a TB-ALC is very slightly but consistently longer than TBS, which I suspect was done to provide better weight balance for use with heavier rubbers introduced in 2008.  Another difference is that with TB-ALC and pretty much all ALC blades introduced after TBS and Viscaria (includ ZJK and ZJK-ALC), they do something to the top ply to make it a bit shinier, maybe it is UV light or something.  It has some effect on how these things play.

But I think this comment is true about blade variability that comes from making something out of wood, manufacturing tolerances, and also changes they made going from one series to another.  In addition, wood swells and shrinks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szyszuniaije Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 2:05pm
looking at all the comments we can easy conclude no two blades play the same lol

ps. I am tired of arrogant and offensive comments on the forums, those who type them should simply just save their time and relax!
Many members such as myself put stuff out there for info purpose not to start a war of opinions...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Actually the handle on a TB-ALC is very slightly but consistently longer than TBS, which I suspect was done to provide better weight balance for use with heavier rubbers introduced in 2008.

Smile Please don't misread the tone here guys, its only a light hearted debate, BUT here we go again...

Someone's going to read your statement and think its a fact and then start jabbering about it for the next few years in countless different threads, etc... The ALC handle is not consistently longer than the TBS handles. The handles of the TBS and ALC are manufactured with the same length...

And I'm certain there are more examples out there than just those two that support my claim.

Besides that, I would argue that Butterfly's popular speed glue era rubbers like Sriver and Bryce were not any lighter than Tenergy 05 and in fact heavier if you start talking about T64... Bryce, Sriver, and Sriver EL were not light at all. Only when you get to Sriver and Bryce FX do the weights go down a little.

I agree in general, that rubbers have gotten heavier, e.g. Renanos Bright Soft type rubbers compared to bricks like Evolution MX-P... Just not Butterfly's flagship rubbers.

(Again, please don't read too much antagonism into my comments. I like to use all caps, bold and italics, etc, to help my writing get through the forum fog. LOL)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 4:41pm
ALC and TBS handles are different.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 4:46pm
Like everyone else on this forum I've owned 2-3 TBS and ALCs FL and 3-4 ST. They are the same blade except for different style lenses and handle visual designs. The shape is the same. If you think they look different maybe its an optical illusion because of the "T" in the ALC handle or something. But its the same handle shape.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by szyszuniaije szyszuniaije wrote:

looking at all the comments we can easy conclude no two blades play the same lol

ps. I am tired of arrogant and offensive comments on the forums, those who type them should simply just save their time and relax!
Many members such as myself put stuff out there for info purpose not to start a war of opinions...

Thanks for posting.
Would you be able to verify if the inner limba layer is the same thickness on both blades? 
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 5:28pm

Like everyone else on this forum I've owned 2-3 TBS and ALCs FL and 3-4 ST. They are the same blade except for different style lenses and handle visual designs. The shape is the same. If you think they look different maybe its an optical illusion because of the "T" in the ALC handle or something. But its the same handle shape.

I use straight blades and the handles didn't feel the same.  But it is quite possible that the optical illusion influenced my feel of the handle.  The ALC has always felt "fatter", so to speak.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/18/2015 at 5:30pm
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 5:42pm
M.Maze
J. Mizutani
TBS 
TB-ALC
and if you don't count the big differences in blade thickness which definitely can influence handle feeling:
TB-T5000
TB ZLF
TB ZLC
TB W5
TB W7

.....All have the same handle designs (shapes) in FL and ST.

Now obviously there are differences between samples. I currently have 4 TB W7 blades and they all have very slightly but noticeably different handle shapes. (Wings touch hand on some more than others, handle is slightly shorter feeling on one compared to the others, etc.) But obviously the manufacturer didn't intend for them to be different.

Now, by comparison to the above blades, the Viscaria has a different looking FL handle (the handle curves in at the top where the handle meets the blade like other older blades such as P.Korbel, etc.), it has different FL handle specs, and it generally feels different. Thus I would say it has a different handle shape.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 06/18/2015 at 5:44pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2015 at 6:08pm

M.Maze
J. Mizutani
TBS 
TB-ALC
and if you don't count the big differences in blade thickness which definitely can influence handle feeling:
TB-T5000
TB ZLF
TB ZLC
TB W5
TB W7

.....All have the same handle designs (shapes) in FL and ST.

Now obviously there are differences between samples. I currently have 4 TB W7 blades and they all have very slightly but noticeably different handle shapes. (Wings touch hand on some more than others, handle is slightly shorter feeling on one compared to the others, etc.) But obviously the manufacturer didn't intend for them to be different.

Now, by comparison to the above blades, the Viscaria has a different looking FL handle (the handle curves in at the top where the handle meets the blade like other older blades such as P.Korbel, etc.), it has different FL handle specs, and it generally feels different. Thus I would say it has a different handle shape.

So you  would disagree with what you wrote 6 years ago?

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23335&PID=273942&title=timo-boll-alc-vs-timo-boll-spirit#273942

I've got both, and coincidentally they're both 87.8 grams. 

The Timo Boll ALC has a more comfortable handle. The TBS is nice, but it has a slight feeling of slipping out of my hand sometimes. With Tenergy (heavy rubbers) the TBS seems slightly more top heavy, or you could say the TBALC seems more balanced between the two. TBALC might be slightly faster, but I can't really tell, I'm only buying into the rumors on that point. 

Both are very good investments. Even when I'm not playing with either of them, I don't regret owning them. Very good craftsmanship. However, they are so close in style, that there is the risk that someone might not want "two of the same blade". 

Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic