Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What are your biggest frustrations with TT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are your biggest frustrations with TT?
    Posted: 01/22/2024 at 5:36pm
in general, what are your frustrations with TT as a sport, your game, etc? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2024 at 5:44pm
Being injured with rotator cuff impingement&unable to fully recover :
I'm unwilling to be undergone any surgery.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
ander999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ander999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2024 at 8:39pm
People choo-ing in your face / mentally breaking you down. I am NOT fully against it but when it gets annoying and personal then it is a big problem. You look at basketball for example and you will get penalized for intimidating the opponent. TT wasn't always like this and this has become an epidemic within the last 5-7 years.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2024 at 9:25pm
Very hard to find good training, and lacking variety of people to play.  
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2024 at 9:55pm
I wish clubs offer groupd training sessions instead of private lessons only. 1 coach taking care of 4 tables at $15 a pop mean $120 or $60 per hour for them, a decent revenue. Over the 2 hours, people rotate and everybody practice with the 7 oher players. I do not understand why the formula is not more widely in place. Maybe it is and I do not know.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2024 at 11:47pm
1) Never enough space in clubs to play games safely.
2) Service rules are stupid, never enforced and encourage cheating.
3) The only way to make a living is being a coach.  
4) You have to be rich to learn to play properly.  If your relatives were good players then you can get decent training for free.  Otherwise, get ready to pay a coach $100/hr for hours and hours to get better.  Hotel costs, airplane tickets and entry fees are also expensive.
5) The better you get. the more impossible it is to find decent practice partners.  
6) I personally know several athletes who started their sport in their late teens or early 20s who went on to make 6 figures a year as a pro or participate in the Olympics.  If you do not start playing as a kid you have absolutely no chance of doing something similar in table tennis as the sport is way too complicated.  In Japan they think the best age to start playing is 2. 
7) The costs are prohibitive.  $20/hr to play.  $100/hr for coaching.  $150-$200 a week for a serious player to change rubber.  For someone semi-serious that same cost is per month.  Traveling to tournaments is also expensive with not much chance to recoup losses. 

skv_lviv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skv_lviv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 12:28am
1) you have to start early, if you started like in ~15-20 years old, no one takes you seriously and not really willing to train. And when they change their attitude, it is still too late (and even worse than it was) and you max level is rather limited.
2) it is really really hard to find a good coach. Actually, I'm not really satisfied with any of coaches I know and trained with (like 5-7, maybe even more), each gives you tiny piece of a usefull information and you have to collect those pieces from multiple places (including different players, not only your coach) and try to combine it together into your model of play. And some coaches might say do it this way, while others say that you should do it completely different way and it is about basic technique Confused. Nowdays, there are youtube videos with different aspects, but I had no such thing when I started
3) people talking too much about equipment and too much different equipment available: when I don't train due to illness, injury or vacation, it is really hard not to buy something new LOL
4) small halls with people loudly talking beside your table, while you are playing tournament game, or even shouting from one side of a hall to somebody on an opposite side.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 6:38am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Have you tried dead hangs? That cured my shoulder in like 2 weeks. There are wrist straps to help you hang got longer if your grip strength isn't high enough. 
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 7:17am
That the general sections goes down on mytt....
topspinplayer2023 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinplayer2023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 8:31am
Cortisone shot, and then let it rest for a week.  Follow it up with physio using very light weights.  Gradually increasing.  After that, swimming may help.   Worked for me.
Nittaku Musical Shakehand Blade enthusiast. Plan to switch to OX long pips for Backhand.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 9:08am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Have you tried dead hangs? That cured my shoulder in like 2 weeks. There are wrist straps to help you hang got longer if your grip strength isn't high enough. 

This! Yes! I had minor impingement which went away after, as above, literally 2 weeks of hanging for about 2 min total per day, 30 seconds each time. I can now hang comfortably for 1 min plus, and do so about twice a day, no more than 2 or 3 min total per day. 

But start with 10 seconds if that’s what it takes, and work up a bit more every few days. All lower back pain gone as well. Dead hanging is a miracle cure of sorts, and it’s so cheap and simple. Watch a few YT videos on it then give it a go. Good luck
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 10:48am
Wanting to get better, but having no time or path - can only play a few times purely for fun.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2024 at 11:31am

I had a rotator cuff issue on both sides 5 years apart. In addition to a cortisone shot on the right spot (I felt like it was an expensive lottery...), stretching was key. It was about grabbing something fixed with an horizontal arm and rotate the upper body the other way: if the right arm is worked on, you make little steps on the same spot on the floor to rotate your whole body counter clockwise; then you stop when it starts hurting and stay there for 30 seconds...repeat a dozen times... Have such a session several times a day. The good thing is you can do that about anywhere. I am sorry you're going through this.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 1:37am
Frustrated with finding a good potential kid player. I have trained some to graduate in college as varsity players but it is hard to find players with the right attitude. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 8:25pm
the feeling of being "other" in mainstream culture, and always having to defend table tennis to those brainwashed by mainstream western media that perceive it to be not a sport--or at least not one that requires athleticism 
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

That the general sections goes down on mytt....
haha, is it me or does it seem like a lot of posters are coming out of the woodwork after the mytt general section went down?

trying to help the site recover from the wound maybe LOL
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2024 at 9:10pm
Terrible organization management at both national and international level. This sport has been around for over a century and look at the state it is in. There are so many passionate people in the game, so many creative ideas and innovations - and what do we get in control of the sport at NGB and ISOs - knobheads who seem to have no idea what they are doing. 

So, I would say the lack of vision and good management are my biggest frustrations.
http://mhtabletennis.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic