Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do umpires say when match starts ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do umpires say when match starts ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
antares7364 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antares7364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do umpires say when match starts ?
    Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:36pm
Hello,

A question about the umpires and what they say in an official match : when a match begins, they say "first set", then "Mr X to serve", then "level" or "none all" or "the ball" or ... something like that.
I'm not a native english speaker so I do not clearly understand what they say, and I asked to some friends but they didn't know either.
What is this mysterious word ?

Thanks Smile
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:50pm
I believe it's "Love all". For whatever reason, zero is a bad word in table tennis and tennis. So they use the word "love". It's stupid and I refuse to say it. LOL

But I think that's what they're saying. They're just calling the score, "Love all".

I could be wrong, though.

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:50pm
"First set.  So-and-So to serve.  Love all!!"

and at the end:  "game so-and-so.  so-and-so wins so-and-so set 11-9.  so-and-so leads 2-0 ("2 games to love").

as a french person, you are probably wondering why english-speaking people say "love" for zero.  well, actually, that "love" is not "l'amour," but actually the english prononciation of the french word "l'oeuf."  i guess the english started using that, cuz the number zero looks like an egg...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antares7364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

as a french person, you are probably wondering why english-speaking people say "love" for zero.  well, actually, that "love" is not "l'amour," but actually the english prononciation of the french word "l'oeuf."  i guess the english started using that, cuz the number zero looks like an egg...

Wow ... Shocked
Someone to confirm that ?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by antares7364 antares7364 wrote:

Wow ... Shocked

That is correct - in jeu de pomme, that's how they announced zero (an egg) and then it was transferred to English.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 4:30pm

"First set.  So-and-So to serve.  Love all!!"

and at the end:  "game so-and-so.  so-and-so wins so-and-so set 11-9.  so-and-so leads 2-0 ("2 games to love").

Wow, I always thought they say LOVE, bc they did not want the guy to feel bad...  We say egg when we get zero on the test too in Vietnamese Smile.
Thank you for the info.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by antares7364 antares7364 wrote:

Wow ... Shocked

That is correct - in jeu de pomme, that's how they announced zero (an egg) and then it was transferred to English.

forgive me, jim, but that's jeu de paume (palm), as opposed to jeu de pomme (apple).  and it's pronounced slightly differently, too--"paume" rhymes with "home" and "pomme" rhymes with "hum."  well, almost...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antares7364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 4:43pm
Just found a confirmation on Wikipedia, as Anton said it seems to be the same in tennis and table tennis :
Quote zro (love en anglais) pour aucun point marqu dans le jeu, "love" viendrait du franais "l'uf" qui de par sa forme signifiait zro point.

Source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis

On the english version page they just say :
Quote A "love" set means that the loser of the set won zero games. In tournament play, the chair umpire announces the winner of the set and the overall score.

EDIT: On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_score :
Quote The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed; it is possible that it derives from the French word for the egg (l'uf) because an egg looks like the number zero.[5][6]  "Love" is also said to derive from "l'heure" or "the hour" (more likely to be translated as "the time") in French. Another possibility of the origin comes from the Dutch expression "iets voor lof doen", which means to do something for praise, implying no other reward (so monetary gain would be zero). The word 'lof' has changed over time to 'love'.[7]

I searched about "jeu de paume" but didn't find anything yet.

Thanks to all !
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2010 at 6:38pm
LOVE --> EGG --> SET & MATCH is wrong IMHO even though closer to reality.

LOVE --> SET & MATCH --> EGG sounds more logical to me. At least it gives hope.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 3:02pm
http://www.ittf.com/ITTF_Misc/Comittees/Handbook%2520for_Match_Officials_13th_edition.pdf 18 MATCH CONDUCT, (pp. 18.1&18.4 in particular) -should give you a perfect understanding of the umpire's working vocabulary due for a match presentation.
Igor,
national umpire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antares7364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 3:18pm
Great :

When the players are ready, call love-all or zero-zero, pointing to and naming the first server.
[...]
When each player or pair has scored, say, 4 points the score may be called either as 4-4 or 4-all; the score 0 may be expressed as either zero or love.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 5:24am
love all.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic