Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is the most important part in the game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gurovski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the most important part in the game
    Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:18am
hello.
i think the most important part in the game is the serve.
with the serve you can manipulate with your opponent.
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:20am
i agree,
  serving and receiving

if you can nullify your opponents serves that is also important, do not give them and advantage off serve

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
oldschooltt09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldschooltt09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 7:57am
well said guys, serve and receiving are the important part of the game

feel the power within
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 8:16am
depends a bit on the level of playing, but at high levels its most certainly serve+receive.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 9:50am
for me its consistency and service return, serve is not so much as long as the person doesnt attack me 3rd ball im okay.

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 10:00am
A good serve makes things a lot easier for you, but you might want to have a look at players like Kong Linghui and Wang Liqin. Their serves are mediocre at best. Yet they won seven major titles between them.

Building your game around several serves is a short term strategy, you can no longer rely on your serves to win a game for you. Liu Guoliang realised this after his 1997 worlds defeat and came back to dominate for two more years with a revamped game.

Ma Lin realised this after a series of close losses to Wang Liqin. He retooled his entire strategy, rose up with a vengeance and took the no1 ranking away from his rival.

Take note that Wang Hao's greatest strength is not his serves. They merely facillate his dominating attack game. If he gets a free point because the other guy misjudged, fine. If not, its work as usual.

Take note, Walder as a teenager was little more than a serve and a forehand. While he oozed with talent, his backhand was so mediocre and his defence ineffective. That was what killed him against Jiang Jialiang. I can bet at that moment in time, Cheng Yinghua had a better backhand and was a much better athlete. What did Waldner do? He retooled his game and won four majors.

Your basics matter. No matter how much you eschew your drills, it will come back to bite you in the ass one day. Drill your forehand, drill your backhand. Fancy stuff won't help you when you can't even get the ball back on the table.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 2:22pm
You cannot have one thing without the other.

If you don't have good serve and receive, well bye2, good night..
If you have good serve and receive, but don't have good basics, you will get hammered in the rallies..
If you have good basics, but don't have the footwork, you won't be able to get into position to take those strokes you train hard to do..
If you have all those but don't have the quickness of mind and the mental strength to be able to use them in a game situation, then all your hard work is for nothing..

The most important part of it all is one's commitment to work hard and keep on trying to improve every aspect of his/her game
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 2:53pm
For overall game of TT The mind is the most important part in my view. Tactics, working out the other players weakness/strength and  making use of your own strengths.

In terms of the most important stroke, service and service return
BAND!T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAND!T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 6:34pm
the most important part of the game is equipment.

just kidding. its having fun

almost kidding

to me the most important part of the game is the mental part. without thinking ahead, or being able to react or anticipate, nobody would be able to go anywhere. at least thats what i believe.
Gave up on V-Grip, SH smoother
Nittaku Noveliar [9 plies of powerthirst infused layers]
FH: BLACK Xiom Omega II Asian
BH: RED Stiga Boost TC
BAND!T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAND!T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 6:35pm
the most important part of the game is equipment.

just kidding. its having fun

almost kidding

to me the most important part of the game is the mental part. without thinking ahead, or being able to react or anticipate, nobody would be able to go anywhere. at least thats what i believe. well... i also believe if 2 players are of equal consistancy, and service and whatever, the one with the stronger mental capacity will win out. so try outsmarting yourself hahaha.
Gave up on V-Grip, SH smoother
Nittaku Noveliar [9 plies of powerthirst infused layers]
FH: BLACK Xiom Omega II Asian
BH: RED Stiga Boost TC
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 7:51pm
Well, receiving is even more important than serving. And how many mistakes does Liqin do in receiving? Near to none. And this is hard to practice because for this you need many different opponents with different dangerous serves.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 9:57pm
game tactics..
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2008 at 10:32pm
Personally right now, my weakest link is returning serves. And until I can return serves confidently, there is no way I can win any games!

Cheers.

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
gomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 12:02am
thinking, realising, and improving every point you have lost :)
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 12:23am
The ability to learn from your mistakes.

A mistake learned from is better than a flawless victory.
www.teamliquid.net
Nittaku Violin FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Orange Sponge Provincial Max
BH: Red Xiom Vega Europe Max

Screw Butterfly and go Korean.
Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 10:16am
Knowing how to CHO, of course.  You don't need to know how to play.  Whenever your opponent makes a mistake which has nothing to do with your previous shot make sure you CHO to celebrate winning the point because of absolutely nothing you did.  CHO, CHO, f-ing CHO!
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 10:56am

depends on style, perspective and what stage of the game you are at. if you look at the really high level players, service is not a big issue. it's winning the rallies with different strokes. even at the level of for example 2800 canadian serve doesn't become a major factor when those players face each other
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 11:28am
Return of serve! 

You have to expect that your opponent will read your serve and return it most of the time.  However, if you cannot read the opponent's serve, you're going to fall easily.
loopdrive View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 12:14pm
It all depends on your opponents.

If you are facing ...

1) Low level opponents: With good serves, you can get free points directly or set up 3rd ball attack. If they received okay, your can control the points and wait for them to miss. That is when you don't want to break a sweat. 

2) High level opponents: Your serves might mean nothing to them. You don't get free points and you don't have good chance to 3rd ball attack. They don't miss either. You better receive good. If not, you will get killed very quickly.

3) Defensive choppers: They don't give you easy points. You just have to pull out all your skills like slow loops, fast loops, smashes, short pushes and most importantly ... a game plan. Oh don't forget, workout at the gym is important too.

4) Two-winged loopers: Your control game is very important. You probably wish you could play like Ma Lin. You don't want them to attack first unless you are as stable as Samsonov.

5) LP players: You have to have a clear mind of knowing what spin is coming to you. A simple underspin or topspin serve is sufficient in this case. You know exactly what spin to expect. All your fancy side-top, side-under serves will just make things more complicated for you.

After all, I think being an all round player with good basics is the most important thing. Smile 
Energy Wood
FH CJ8000 on Quattro 2.0 40
BH RITC 802-40 2.0 35
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 1:31pm
Oh yes Kenney,
Tactical awareness is also very important, i can't believe i missed that one.. Embarrassed
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2008 at 4:11pm
Serves, retrives and play your A game
DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2008 at 12:16am

TT freak, really good post!  Service is often said to be the most important part of the game, up to even the level of 2600 or 2700 Canadian.  Though at this stage, many of the players can handle whatever serves are thrown at them.  But players between 1800-2500 are often remarking about service being the difference in their matches. And below 1800, players are in awe of serves.

Recently in a club tournament in Mississauga, the  first comment I heard  after my win, was that my serve was outstanding i.e with the same motion, I'm able to place the ball long or short.  I didn't find that complimentary at all, because I thought it was factors other than serve that resulted in me winning the match!  Quick ball placement, wide angles, and generally winning the rallies.  Lower level, slower and unperceptive players find my serves difficult;  at the higher levels, the serves are returned, and then a rally commences- serve doesn't become an issue.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2008 at 7:27am
anyone forget physical condition? i just had a fever and played like shiate!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 3:10pm
I also think serving and receiving...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 4:18pm

consistancy is key to all. case closed

apekzhrk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apekzhrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 4:35pm
I think there is no single part in the game thats most important... you need a strong foundation in everything and a strong strategic mind ... its a mixture of everything
Superserv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superserv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 6:34pm
serve, recieve and first loop attack
Photino ST
sinuz alfa max FH/BH
Need to add more speed to my FH.

need MORE speed

I WILL use THIS COMBO 4EVER!
genericmonicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genericmonicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 6:08pm
Having fun?
Beisis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 2:43pm
I think that the all starts in the mental part
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2008 at 10:39pm
This is an excellent thread...I agree with all of Dragon Kid's points completely.   After everything is said and done, and you have trained hard with long and tiring drills, practiced countless serves, played long rallies, and worked out hard to become physically conditioned important for different aspects (footwork, etc), in the end ...it's mental strength, game tactics and one's own self-confidence which matter.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic