FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

when do you know the rubber is dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when do you know the rubber is dead
    Posted: 09/20/2019 at 7:40pm
How do you know when a rubber needs to be replaced?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I find it very difficult to tell when the rubber needs to be replaced.  Because the rubber decline is slow, I adjust my strokes over a long period of time.  When I do put a new sheet on, I'm surprised at how much more responsive the new rubber is.  I now rotate between two paddles.  One with new rubber and the other with older rubber.  Then I can tell when it's time to change the old rubber.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:15pm
The best sign of the need of rubber replacement, in my opinion, is when I´m not able to put pressure on my practice partners anymore, doing the same things I´m used to do. I have a Goldarc 50° exactly in this situation, when new it was a deadly weapon but now it became a control rubber, much slower and much less spinny.
It usually happens after 5 months in my case (training 6 hours/week, plus tournaments once a month). After 3 months the topsheet becomes opaque (not shiny) despite cleaning it every session, but still usable.
Actually when you play for a long time you can learn the lifetime of a rubber considering the amount of training you adopt. For me it´s 5 to 6 months, those who train more (or harder) maybe should expect something between 3 to 4 months.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2019 at 10:24pm
honestly I just replace after 4-5 month(don't play much a anymore)
But I always felt dragging a ball across the surface of the rubber is a good test
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 12:28am
When my loops and blocks go into the net more frequently than usual, it's time to change rubbers.  For me, that's usually in the 4-6 month range. 
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 5:41am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

But I always felt dragging a ball across the surface of the rubber is a good test

+1
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 7:09am
When the sponge loses too much tension or the topsheet loses too much grip.
I reboost frequently and change after 4-5 months
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

The best sign of the need of rubber replacement, in my opinion, is when I´m not able to put pressure on my practice partners anymore, doing the same things I´m used to do. I have a Goldarc 50° exactly in this situation, when new it was a deadly weapon but now it became a control rubber, much slower and much less spinny.
It usually happens after 5 months in my case (training 6 hours/week, plus tournaments once a month). After 3 months the topsheet becomes opaque (not shiny) despite cleaning it every session, but still usable.
Actually when you play for a long time you can learn the lifetime of a rubber considering the amount of training you adopt. For me it´s 5 to 6 months, those who train more (or harder) maybe should expect something between 3 to 4 months.

how do you know when the opponent rubber is dead?
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

What? Why should I know that?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2019 at 2:46pm

Well it does affect how much spin is coming.  I've played inverted so old I could put in what I wanted out like long pips
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:09am
For me the biggest indicator is whether the grip is still consistent over the surface. If it's become patchy, i.e. much grippier in some spots than others, then it's definitely going to lead to errors, so it should be replaced. Whereas if the loss of grip is consistent across the surface, then it's still usable, it will just be less spinny.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 3:36am
Also, it is important to test rubbers with a new ball.  An old slippery ball will have a large effect upon the perceived grip of the rubber.
kanialSmiredian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanialSmiredian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 11:27am

Don't they have top-sheet boosters & cleaners for this, so that you do not have to replace the whole rubber (that is, you are a half-ass honest saint but only half cheater because you are not a double cheat wherein you both boost & speed-glue) 

Edited by kanialSmiredian - 09/22/2019 at 11:28am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 11:31am
Too many obvious sock puppets on this site.  Unfortunate. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 11:55am

Each rubber behaves differently for each player. But as a general rule, forum wisdom states:

If you are a top pro with a top contract, for any rubber:
To maintain utmost rubber responsiveness, replace after each individual match.
To maintain optimum rubber responsiveness, replace after maximum of 3 matches.

For a journeyman pro:
Replace after 3 matches.

For a wealthy amateur, do as the top pro.
For active (about 10hrs/week table time) amateurs, about every 4-6weeks. That is, with each paycheck.
For the rest of us, replace when the urge to change is highest.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 7:29pm
Definitely depends on the rubber though.  Tenergy lasted me three months but Nexy Karis at least double that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanialSmiredian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

When they easily return your best serves and tee off on your heaviest loops!

Who or what are you referring to ? The dead rubbers or sock-puppets ? Ermm 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanialSmiredian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Too many obvious sock puppets on this site.  Unfortunate. 

Are you talking to me ? Are you calling me a sock puppet ?

I thought I raised a sincere issue about cleaning top sheets in a funny way. Obviously I rubbed some (illegal) speed glues the wrong way  

Edited by kanialSmiredian - 09/23/2019 at 12:36pm
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 8:29pm
This is from TT Direct on their Rubber Information page.

Why change rubber?

Rubber wears out because we use it! So the more you play the quicker it will wear out! As rubber ages, its ‘optimum’ playing characteristics deteriorate. Shocking Fact! Manufacturer’s estimate the ‘lifetime’ of a rubber to be 50 – 90 playing hours, but don’t panic! Most competitive players change their reverse or long pimple rubber within 12 months. Short pimples or anti spin rubbers last longer. However, the longer you leave it to replace your rubber you will feel a more obvious difference in speed and spin when using a new sheet. If you play a lot or participate at a fairly competitive level and want to maintain consistency of speed, spin and control, you should change the rubber when you feel a lack of response. 

...are we talking about "sock puppets" now Confused

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/23/2019 at 8:30pm
*sigh*
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2019 at 9:05pm
Rub the rubber to your hair. If you don't feel the friction, then so does the ball.
However, dead rubbers are fun to play with, especially on bh side.
I know some oldies could beat strong young players by dead rubber.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 12:23am
okay since no one is going there..."what if you're bald now?" do you rub it down there? (applies to males only) LOL

Edited by Charlie Brown - 09/24/2019 at 12:25am
*sigh*
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 7:50am

When you lose to somebody you don't think you should lose to, it's time to change the rubber.  This is known as the Shibaev test.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 10:35am

Because some cheat that way ,they hit with the slick rubber and the ball sinks to the net 
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

When you lose to somebody you don't think you should lose to, it's time to change the rubber.  This is known as the Shibaev test.

LOL
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Rub the rubber to your hair. If you don't feel the friction, then so does the ball.

I did this as a kid... and I still do it now. It's good to know I am not alone  LOL
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 7:07am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

LOL

Clap
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

+1

+1 
You clean, drag the ball, the ball should rotate but not slide. if the grip seems on a lower side, it's time to replace. For me, to replace a rubber 3 times a year is enough, sometimes I can do it twice, if my playing time tends to be on the lower side (like injury or smth..)
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 10:22am
Somewhere I read there is this rule that a lot of players follows.
If you play 2 times a week ---> you should change rubber 2 times in a year (or every 6 months)
3 times a week ---> 3 times a year (or every 4 months)
4 times a week ---> 4 times a year (every 3 months)

This is all for optimal performace. And it only works if you are not constantly switching blades, boosting etc. Also a good indicator is when you notice your rubber spins less, has very worn edges, etc

I found that if you don't boost Tenergy rubbers work just fine for me for 6months +
If you play Long/Short pips (many ppl will say the older the better).

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

Somewhere I read there is this rule that a lot of players follows.
If you play 2 times a week ---> you should change rubber 2 times in a year (or every 6 months)
3 times a week ---> 3 times a year (or every 4 months)
4 times a week ---> 4 times a year (every 3 months)

Excellent summaryClap........ Is that for each blade?

If you play 2 times a week and change rubbers 4 times a year.....then you are now a qualified EJ

Edited by Tinykin - 09/26/2019 at 6:41pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2019 at 10:48pm

OMG I have to change my rubber every day. ShockedOuchCry
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic