Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When will we play Table Tennis again?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will we play Table Tennis again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 23>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2020 at 1:55pm
Jay, There were more but I was too lazy to link to them.  For one reason, as you noted before, some people wont be convinced by anything.  

I wish that more well-designed cloth masks available though.  Yours is quite good, and clearly you can play in it.  150 heart rate indoors playing TT is high.  After I first got it, I used to wear my heart rate monitor playing TT and never got that high in normal free play.  I could do it in a really really hard drill.  I can do it easily on my bike on  hot day  but TT is different. 

Edited by Baal - 06/03/2020 at 2:13pm
Sponsored Links

Static View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2020 at 5:05pm
My club has started using 3 tables on their parking lot for a maximum of 6 kids to play on 4 sessions a week (if the weather allows obviously) Think the rules they have set are good and will be sufficient for safe play: Mandatory to wash hands on arrival, everyone has to stick to the 1.5m distance, balls will be cleaned before every session and everyone will use just 1 ball that only they will touch, use of toilet only allowed when absolutely necessary, players have to arrive fully dressed for practice, only 1 coach present.

Think it's great the youth will have a chance to play a bit until things go back to (more) normal. As thing look now we won't be playing inside till September but hopefully these rules can be applied indoors a little earlier if things continue to be stable here in the Netherlands. I'm in the risk group myself but I think sticking to these safety measures I wouldn't be afraid to play again even if indoors.
SDC Custom Blade, FH: Xiom Vega X, BH: Tibhar FX-P
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2020 at 11:32pm
This  is past the outer margins of the topic of when we will play TT again, but given the attention the topic has received, I thought I'd briefly mention this:

A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial on whether hydroxychloroquine (HQ) prevents people from getting Covid-19 was published in the New England Journal of Medicine today. Subjects (more than 800) were asymptomatic but had been exposed to someone with Covid-19 and were therefore at risk.  

HQ doesn't have any discernible effect. The same % became symptomatic.  In the data supplement there is data showing that adding zinc or Vitamin C on top of HQ didn't work either.

Patients were relatively young and no arrythmias occurred. That may be a much bigger risk in hospitalized patients,  Maybe we can drive a silver stake through the heart of this idea now.

Edited by Baal - 06/03/2020 at 11:36pm
FinalFight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 1:29am
It'd be great if high level table tennis could generally be achieved outdoors with the same types of equipment people use at the club without damage. It's a shame that smooth rubber isn't durable enough to withstand direct sunlight and rallies are too unpredictable if there's even a slight breeze. I'd love for it to be more of a social sport at places like outdoor parks. Haven't tested high quality outdoor tables that can withstand rain or weather changes, but that is certainly another challenge. I've played casual outdoor 'ping pong' tournaments and they were a lot of fun.

Edited by FinalFight - 06/04/2020 at 1:35am
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 8:01am
My club has started using 3 tables on their parking lot for a maximum of 6 kids to play on 4 sessions a week (if the weather allows obviously) Think the rules they have set are good and will be sufficient for safe play: Mandatory to wash hands on arrival, everyone has to stick to the 1.5m distance, balls will be cleaned before every session and everyone will use just 1 ball that only they will touch, use of toilet only allowed when absolutely necessary, players have to arrive fully dressed for practice, only 1 coach present.

These people are certifiably psychotic.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

This  is past the outer margins of the topic of when we will play TT again, but given the attention the topic has received, I thought I'd briefly mention this:

A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial on whether hydroxychloroquine (HQ) prevents people from getting Covid-19 was published in the New England Journal of Medicine today. Subjects (more than 800) were asymptomatic but had been exposed to someone with Covid-19 and were therefore at risk.  

HQ doesn't have any discernible effect. The same % became symptomatic.  In the data supplement there is data showing that adding zinc or Vitamin C on top of HQ didn't work either.

Patients were relatively young and no arrythmias occurred. That may be a much bigger risk in hospitalized patients,  Maybe we can drive a silver stake through the heart of this idea now.

The ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) has done a larger trial of HCQ. Their results are contradictory. HCQ is being given to frontline workers to prevent and bring down the risk of serious infection here.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 9:43am
That advisory from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) first came out in March.  Some Indian scientists and clinicians were opposed to the recommendation because it definitely went ahead of any legitimate evidence at the time.  See this letter in Lancet where they strongly criticize it:

Scientists from ICMR published a paper on May 31 in something called the Indian Journal of Medical Research* claiming that HQ is effective as a Covid-19 prophylactic for health care workers.  It was a type of retrospective study (called a case control design, quite similar to the VA study that had come out earlier in the US and finding no effect) and the authors state the following:  "Until results of clinical trials for HCQ prophylaxis become available, this study provides actionable information for policymakers to protect HCWs at the forefront of COVID-19 response." 

In fact the New England Journal of Medicine article I linked to above is an example of the exact kind of clinical trial they were calling for (randomized double-blind and placebo-controlled), and the study showed a negative response.  It is a much stronger research design and was carried out independent of any government agency.  It is the only one so far.   

* By the way, the journal in which the Indian research appeared is the official journal of the ICMR!  So one could question the extent to which it was really peer-reviewed since the journal is controlled by the scientists making the recommendation in the first place.  This was the same problem that plagued the initial French study that was later retracted.

Edited by Baal - 06/04/2020 at 10:44am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Why? 

I actually played outdoors once in China.  It was in a courtyard and there was no breeze and it was not as bad as you might expect.  I certainly wouldn't want to do it all the time and the Netherlands is pretty windy.  But psychotic?  No.
Static View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 2:12pm

Why? 

I actually played outdoors once in China.  It was in a courtyard and there was no breeze and it was not as bad as you might expect.  I certainly wouldn't want to do it all the time and the Netherlands is pretty windy.  But psychotic?  No.

I think it will be pretty okay most days. It surely won't be the same as playing indoors but they said they would alter the training (some endurance, footwork or stenght training) if it is too windy to play. The parking lot is rather small and pretty well enclosed too (walled off on 3 sides).
SDC Custom Blade, FH: Xiom Vega X, BH: Tibhar FX-P
FSO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 3:36pm

I know I posted here about Belgium last week saying that the clubs would probably not be able to open before August 1st, but this week, out of the blue the government decided that all non-contact sports can start up again upcoming Monday!!! Already received an e-mail from my TT club that they are doing all they can to be ready for reopening next week... And apparently competition and training can start again, while folowing the new corona rules closely, but we don’t know yet exactly what this rules are. In Germany the rules came first, before they announced the reopening…

This is for sure a big surprise! Not only all outdoor and indoor sports, fitness halls and so on, but the bars and restaurants may open as well. Swimming pools and theaters not yet, this is something for July first.

Am I missing something? I thought there was a virus going around…  

I’m really curious about what the impact all of this will be in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I do think that many other countries in Europe are doing this kind of relaxation of the rules, I hear about Greece, Spain and even Italy, but also France, Austria and so on that they will open up the borders for tourists. Then I guess the sport activity’s there have already started up again as well? 

Regards…

Edited by FSO - 06/04/2020 at 3:46pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 3:58pm
Certainly Belgium looks to be way past the peak and hospital resources have plenty of capacity at this point.  It makes more sense there than some other places.  Daily new cases in Belgium are as low now as they were in early March.  

Where I live the daily new cases are still very high and dont seem to be coming down

So much depends on where you live.
FSO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 4:20pm

Certainly Belgium looks to be way past the peak and hospital resources have plenty of capacity at this point.  It makes more sense there than some other places.  Daily new cases in Belgium are as low now as they were in early March.  

Where I live the daily new cases are still very high and dont seem to be coming down

So much depends on where you live.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, the daily new cases in Belgium are now for the past week lower than 100 per day for the whole country, and only about 140 ICU beds are now in use, of which some 70 people are on a ventilator. This numbers give a lot of hope.

I do hope that the new cases in your region will soon begin to come down as well, hopefully everywhere actually, even if I see the global daily numbers increasing.

Keep up the good spirit, it will get beter!

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 4:49pm
Finland just closed their borders, so you can't cross the finish line.Smile
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 6:09pm

Maybe we can drive a silver stake through the heart of this idea now.

Probably not quite.  25% of the HCQ group did not finish the full course.  They didn't actually test for Coronavirus in the vast majority of participants and relied on reported symptoms instead. They even allowed a "non-specific" symptom category.  And further, the zinc and Vit C data has no information on dosage so that isn't very strong at all. 

I'd think better of the study if they had excluded the 25% of HCQ participants who did not finish their full course of HCQ.  All that said, I think it is likely that the study's conclusion will turn out to be true. But even one study without this study's problems wouldn't be a silver stake.  You always want independent verification.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 6:16pm

I'm so tired of such proclamations without accompanying explanation or justification for the conclusion.  

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Maybe we can drive a silver stake through the heart of this idea now.

Probably not quite.  25% of the HCQ group did not finish the full course.  They didn't actually test for Coronavirus in the vast majority of participants and relied on reported symptoms instead. They even allowed a "non-specific" symptom category.  And further, the zinc and Vit C data has no information on dosage so that isn't very strong at all. 

I'd think better of the study if they had excluded the 25% of HCQ participants who did not finish their full course of HCQ.  All that said, I think it is likely that the study's conclusion will turn out to be true. But even one study without this study's problems wouldn't be a silver stake.  You always want independent verification.

Jay, that's not how a  proper RCT design works.  It is now generally thought to be  a best practice to include all participants who start the trial regardless of whether they finish to avoid bias creeping in. It is referred to as an "intention to treat analysis". It's a little counterintuitive but there is a lot on the web about it.  This study was pretty well powered with more than 800 people. The authors themselves pointed out those limitations.   These trials cost a fortune and take time.   It really is time to move on to other drugs.  I think a couple of other trials are continuing, but trust me, they will have limitations too.  ALL clinical trials do.

Edited by Baal - 06/04/2020 at 8:40pm
darucla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by FSO FSO wrote:

I know I posted here about Belgium last week saying that the clubs would probably not be able to open before August 1st, but this week, out of the blue the government decided that all non-contact sports can start up again upcoming Monday!!! Already received an e-mail from my TT club that they are doing all they can to be ready for reopening next week... And apparently competition and training can start again, while folowing the new corona rules closely, but we don’t know yet exactly what this rules are. In Germany the rules came first, before they announced the reopening…

This is for sure a big surprise! Not only all outdoor and indoor sports, fitness halls and so on, but the bars and restaurants may open as well. Swimming pools and theaters not yet, this is something for July first.

Am I missing something? I thought there was a virus going around…  

I’m really curious about what the impact all of this will be in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I do think that many other countries in Europe are doing this kind of relaxation of the rules, I hear about Greece, Spain and even Italy, but also France, Austria and so on that they will open up the borders for tourists. Then I guess the sport activity’s there have already started up again as well? 

Regards…

I have been following this page quite closely https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality, and it seems Belgium has a very high mortality per capita rate, actually worse than ours (UK) which is itself pretty appalling.  I have put the case in Belgium down to quite specific country size/population density issues, Belgium having twice the population density of New York State e.g. which has twice the deaths per capita rate.  (Our problems of course are probably down to incompetence at Governmental level.)  However, I would be a little hesitant about playing at anywhere near normal conditions in Belgium (or here) currently.  Incidentally, although figures put out here show around 40,000 deaths due to CoVid-19, there have been in fact 60,000 more deaths than normal/projected for the time period, which suggests the official figures are debatable.  I am in several at risk groups, old, diabetic, asthmatic, high blood pressure etc, and none of these are actually helped by staying indoors, so I try to cycle as often as possible.  But indoor table tennis is not on my agenda until either a cure or a vaccine is available, or the virus has disappeared magically.
TTE has the following plan We are Stage 1.

Edited by darucla - 06/05/2020 at 10:22am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 11:50am
The weird thing is that after all the news reporting, I only know one individual and his family so far (a TT buddy) who actually got Covid19 (tested, treated, recovered - his son brought it from NY and gave it to the family) and I don't know anyone who actually died from it. 

Some people are predicting a rise in COVID19 infections from all the protests across the USA.  It will be of interest to see whether any of this comes to pass.

I suspect I have a pretty good idea what happened in Belgium but I avoid making any comments about Covid19 on TT forums anymore since I don't have a medical or biological sciences background.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 12:34pm
A little web searching on Belgium raises the point that different places use different ways to collect their Covid statistics, especially death rates and extent of testing.  Makes it hard to compare places.  Makes it a bit hard to know what is going on in your own town.  And even within your own town, it depends on the behavior of the people you hang out with the most.  I don't know anybody who knowingly got this either, maybe because my social circle is scientists, clinicians, and other TT players who for have been pretty cautious.

The way I like to think of this is a 1-5 scale of severity and not get too bogged down and trying to get really precise numbers given all the uncertainties.  Belgium was really bad at a point (5) and for now they are better.  Where I live it is about a 2 or 3 and seems to just stay there.   

Edited by Baal - 06/05/2020 at 12:35pm
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Some people are predicting a rise in COVID19 infections from all the protests across the USA.  It will be of interest to see whether any of this comes to pass.

Don't forget the pool parties.  Everything here needs to be looked at state level.  Or for baal in TX or CA, FL, by city or town.  Cases and deaths nationally can flatten or go down as the NE and other early hotspots gain control.   If infections are rising 40% a week where you live, those good national stats won't help you too much.
FSO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 4:55pm

A little web searching on Belgium raises the point that different places use different ways to collect their Covid statistics, especially death rates and extent of testing.  Makes it hard to compare places.  Makes it a bit hard to know what is going on in your own town.  And even within your own town, it depends on the behavior of the people you hang out with the most.  I don't know anybody who knowingly got this either, maybe because my social circle is scientists, clinicians, and other TT players who for have been pretty cautious.

The way I like to think of this is a 1-5 scale of severity and not get too bogged down and trying to get really precise numbers given all the uncertainties.  Belgium was really bad at a point (5) and for now they are better.  Where I live it is about a 2 or 3 and seems to just stay there.   

The thing is, here in Belgium, starting mid-March probably almost all deceased people have been assigned to Covid-19. Even if they had not tested positive. The first month or so they  were only doing 2.000 tests a day. Than it is impossible to get accurate numbers. Now they are testing a lot more. From all deceased people about 48 percent had died in hospitals, the rest in residential care centers, where not everybody had been tested.

I think in other countries only hospital confirmed cases are assigned to Covid-19. This makes it impossible to compare the mortality per capita between different countries. But it is very clear that to many have died...

I myself don't know anybody that has got the virus, but I am not going to start playing TT next week, that's for sure. It seems to early.

There is now in the news a lot to do about the tourism that will apparently start again on June 15... and most of the countries in the EU will open their borders for one another. I don't know what to think about that. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2020 at 10:33pm
Another large randomized clinical trial came out of the UK today.  Researchers said 1,542 patients were randomly assigned to hydroxychloroquine and compared with 3,132 patients given standard hospital care alone.  They found “no significant difference” in mortality after 28 days between the two groups, and no evidence that treatment with the drug shortens the amount of time spent in hospital.

Meanwhile, another drug called acalabrutinib, which is FDA approved for lymphoma, showed good results in a preliminary observational study, not placebo controlled.  A real clinical trial is now underway.

Some guys I know are playing TT now but I'm not ready to join them.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2020 at 3:28am
We opened our club again a week ago and I thought I would give a report on how that's going.

First, you can tell from my earlier posts on this thread that I'm more skeptical of the panic.  That said, we still want to take reasonable precautions to keep our players safe, as well as to comply with state laws.

We drafted a set of rules for club operation under the virus, but they really come down to just a few main pieces:

1) We provide alcohol, sanitizer, and wipes throughout the club to encourage frequent sanitizing.  So people have access to sanitizing as frequently as they want.  We've even made it easier to wash hands by adding a sink just outside the playing hall.  Unfortunately, there is no way to control how frequently people actually sanitize.

I worry about our bathroom more.  We providing sprays and wipes, but we have no way of telling what people actually do in the bathroom.  I should add that we are a volunteer organization, not a commercial club, so we don't have anyone paid to sanitize the bathroom on a scheduled basis.

We also don't normally sanitize the tables because we don't see contacting tables as common or instinctive, and we only sanitize all the club balls at the end of day.  Since our club only opens every other day, we figure that most settled contamination will die off between sessions.

2) In my mind, the general risk on infection is much greater through breathing and that's what we focus on more.  We limit the number of people who can come into the club so that people can maintain social distancing.  One could, for example, come into our club and maintain a distance of 10 feet without much effort.  As with disinfection, however, there is no way to force people to maintain social distancing.

The biggest advantage we have compared to other clubs is that we operate in a large warehouse with tall ceilings.  More importantly, we have truck size (10 feet or 12 feet wide) roll-up doors on both sides of the building.  So one of the most important things we do is to open doors on both sides of the building.  That generates a fair amount of cross-breeze and clears out the building air pretty quick.

I really don't understand how clubs that operate in smaller venues, or closed venues with recycled air (such as air conditioning) can avoid significant risk in spreading the virus.  

Among those who have come to our club so far, I have yet to find anyone who is willing to play with any sort of face mask on.  I've done it a few times, which is more than anyone else, and I cannot play seriously with a face mask.

--------

It's also been interesting to see the attitudes of the various players.  Those who are most cautious about covid-19 generally don't show up at all.  Of if their wives are super-cautious.Wink  Among those who do show up, they tend to fall into two groups: those, like me, that try to be safe while still enjoying table tennis, and those who just don't seem to care at all.  I saw two guys today who finished a match, and then had someone take a picture of them with their arms on each other's shoulders.  

And this leads to an interesting debate.  For example, the fact that two guys were close for a picture puts them at risk of infecting each other, but does it really represent a threat to the rest of the club?  Assuming, of course, that no one else gets close to either of them.  I ask because we had something of a debate within our club regarding playing doubles.  There were those that felt doubles represents a threat to the entire club and should be prohibited.  And then there are those (including me) who only see it as a risk between the partners and not really relevant to the rest of the club.  If you're standing at table #1, then why should the risk to you change depending on whether the players on table #2 are playing singles or doubles?

Officially, the club rules strongly discourage but do not prohibit doubles.  And so far, I've only seen a couple of doubles matches (which is normally very popular in our club).

We continue to adjust our club rules and methods as we see how the players behave and test to see what might help.  And I don't know how safe other clubs will be without some method to clear out the venue air.

And it's really good to be playing again.Big smile
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

We opened our club again a week ago and I thought I would give a report on how that's going.

First, you can tell from my earlier posts on this thread that I'm more skeptical of the panic.  That said, we still want to take reasonable precautions to keep our players safe, as well as to comply with state laws.

We drafted a set of rules for club operation under the virus, but they really come down to just a few main pieces:

1) We provide alcohol, sanitizer, and wipes throughout the club to encourage frequent sanitizing.  So people have access to sanitizing as frequently as they want.  We've even made it easier to wash hands by adding a sink just outside the playing hall.  Unfortunately, there is no way to control how frequently people actually sanitize.

I worry about our bathroom more.  We providing sprays and wipes, but we have no way of telling what people actually do in the bathroom.  I should add that we are a volunteer organization, not a commercial club, so we don't have anyone paid to sanitize the bathroom on a scheduled basis.

We also don't normally sanitize the tables because we don't see contacting tables as common or instinctive, and we only sanitize all the club balls at the end of day.  Since our club only opens every other day, we figure that most settled contamination will die off between sessions.

2) In my mind, the general risk on infection is much greater through breathing and that's what we focus on more.  We limit the number of people who can come into the club so that people can maintain social distancing.  One could, for example, come into our club and maintain a distance of 10 feet without much effort.  As with disinfection, however, there is no way to force people to maintain social distancing.

The biggest advantage we have compared to other clubs is that we operate in a large warehouse with tall ceilings.  More importantly, we have truck size (10 feet or 12 feet wide) roll-up doors on both sides of the building.  So one of the most important things we do is to open doors on both sides of the building.  That generates a fair amount of cross-breeze and clears out the building air pretty quick.

I really don't understand how clubs that operate in smaller venues, or closed venues with recycled air (such as air conditioning) can avoid significant risk in spreading the virus.  

Among those who have come to our club so far, I have yet to find anyone who is willing to play with any sort of face mask on.  I've done it a few times, which is more than anyone else, and I cannot play seriously with a face mask.

--------

It's also been interesting to see the attitudes of the various players.  Those who are most cautious about covid-19 generally don't show up at all.  Of if their wives are super-cautious.Wink  Among those who do show up, they tend to fall into two groups: those, like me, that try to be safe while still enjoying table tennis, and those who just don't seem to care at all.  I saw two guys today who finished a match, and then had someone take a picture of them with their arms on each other's shoulders.  

And this leads to an interesting debate.  For example, the fact that two guys were close for a picture puts them at risk of infecting each other, but does it really represent a threat to the rest of the club?  Assuming, of course, that no one else gets close to either of them.  I ask because we had something of a debate within our club regarding playing doubles.  There were those that felt doubles represents a threat to the entire club and should be prohibited.  And then there are those (including me) who only see it as a risk between the partners and not really relevant to the rest of the club.  If you're standing at table #1, then why should the risk to you change depending on whether the players on table #2 are playing singles or doubles?

Officially, the club rules strongly discourage but do not prohibit doubles.  And so far, I've only seen a couple of doubles matches (which is normally very popular in our club).

We continue to adjust our club rules and methods as we see how the players behave and test to see what might help.  And I don't know how safe other clubs will be without some method to clear out the venue air.

And it's really good to be playing again.Big smile

An excellent report from you on your opening.  Thank you!  Your decision makers are to applauded, as you have retained the spirit of the sport with appropriate accommodations for the situation at hand.  Your intelligence is far surpassing that contained in the reporting from the Netherlands.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2020 at 1:00pm
 Good Job.  I'll have to make the short 12 hour drive to Salem to play.  
ejprinz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2020 at 2:15pm
I've played twice now in a table tennis club (3 hours each). Hand sanitizer and table cleaner are provided, attendance is limited to 10 people on 5 tables with web sign-up, and masks are highly encouraged at all times. 
The building is huge, high, and air conditioned. I did play with a mask just to check out the experience. I found that a cloth mask works best and I am adding a Adult PM2.5 Activated Carbon Filter and a piece of a Filtrete 1500 filter in series. I also added a strong wire to prevent an air leak towards my glasses. I found that playing is OK at maybe 80% of my max. power with the filter, breathing only through my mouth (it is very clear when there is a problem and the air bypasses the filter). I had to change the mask every hour (I brought 3 of them), the filters get wet over time.
I also brought my own balls, disinfected them after playing, and I have varnish on my racket so I can easily disinfect it too.
So for me that's an acceptable solution. I think the risk would be low enough even without the mask but that's my way to play right now...
Yinhe [Pro 5W, Sun FH, Uranus Pro BH]
Stonebox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2020 at 10:47am
In Belgium we can restart today playing TT again ... although there are some restrictions ... 👍
How is the situation in your country ? 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2020 at 10:23pm
Heard report Arizona new cases are spiking and about to go over 90%  hospital bed utilization.  Any word about going back to shutdown conditions there.

Texas new cases still increasing but not as fast as Az.  Have not heard aanything on Tx hospital bed utilization.

I have reservations to start traveling again at end of June.  Hope I do not get caught up in new shutdowns that close campgrounds.

Mark
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 1:12am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Heard report Arizona new cases are spiking and about to go over 90%  hospital bed utilization.  Any word about going back to shutdown conditions there.

Texas new cases still increasing but not as fast as Az.  Have not heard aanything on Tx hospital bed utilization.

I have reservations to start traveling again at end of June.  Hope I do not get caught up in new shutdowns that close campgrounds.

Mark
Tracking infections is, was, and always will be a waste of time.  They'll be very useful for analyzing the spread of the disease when this is all over, but they are poor predictors of impending health crisis.  Much more useful or hospitalization rate (actual numbers, not bed utilization) and mortality rates.  Those are what I track.

I was looking at statistics by state over the weekend.  Texas, in spite of it's large total infection numbers actually has a very low mortality rate at 6/100k. (Oregon does better at 4/100k).  Arizona has much smaller overall numbers from less population, but is in more danger at 14 death/100,000 people.

If you want to know where these states are actually going, you need to look at the trends: either a lease squares fit graph (or something similar) or take a seven day moving average.  Especially for infections, it's too easy to hit a spike due to some anomalies, such as everybody at a factory becoming infected.  But, as I said, ignore infections anyway.  Looking at the trends for the death rate to get a better sense of where those states are going.

Politically, I think it will be hard to close those states down again unless they see a major rise (trend) in deaths. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2020 at 3:29am
Sacramento's full time TT club is gunna open next week with the similar restrictions (wear mask, wash table, stay the F away from each other, no doubles, fewer tables)

Your average full time club was already struggling to pay lease and overhead expenses and was closed for months, will need to operate like this for months... you know economically where this is going... SOUTH.

The last decade trend of more full time clubs is gunna end up in Kamikaze nose dive and end up in more part time 1-2 night a week setup tables in rec center, church or rec center for a few hours matches only outfits that were the norm always.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 23>
  Share Topic