Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When will we play Table Tennis again?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will we play Table Tennis again?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Hi, I found this interesting:



Stiltt, 

I remember in university reading the classic study on cognitive dissonance called When Prophecy Fails (from ~1954 if I remember correctly).   The researchers infiltrated a cult that believed on a certain day an alien spacecraft would come and take them away.  There were a lot more details to their belief system,  but the key is that it obviously didn't happen.   The aliens didn't  come.  The essence of the study was what happened after the prophecy failed,  and they documented how the  cultists coped with and rationalized the failure -- which for the most part did not cause them to reject the tenets of the cult (for example several  people decided that the aliens didn't come because the group was still not worthy enough, but they would come later).  From this a large psychological theory was formulated that seems to have stood the test of time. 

It really is worth reading even now.  Especially now.  It is a dry academic study that somehow manages to be both compelling and entertaining,  not the least of all because of the strange 1950s scifi beliefs of the cult.  It is still on Amazon.  

Humans are really good at making themselves believe all sorts of strange stuff,  especially if it lets them fit in  with a group.


Edited by Baal - 07/12/2020 at 9:27pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2020 at 11:06pm
I'm posting this peer reviewed article without comment.  It speaks for itself. 

Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 3:24pm
Well that didn't take long (three days into the season).   Fourteen members of the Miami Marlins baseball organization including  12 players  have tested positive for Covid-19.   Several infected players were on the field against the Philadelphia Phillies.   Anybody want to make an over/under bet on how long before this spreads to the point that some team has to completely opt out of playing?  Or key players refuse to continue?  MLB gives up on their season?  Baseball is probably one of the safest sports with respect to spreading a respiratory virus on the field (but lockerooms are another matter).   

Also, the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings have just announced that their Infection Control Officer has tested positive for coronavirus


Edited by Baal - 07/27/2020 at 3:46pm
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Well that didn't take long (three days into the season).   Fourteen members of the Miami Marlins baseball organization including  12 players  have tested positive for Covid-19.   Several infected players were on the field against the Philadelphia Phillies.   Anybody want to make an over/under bet on how long before this spreads to the point that some team has to completely opt out of playing?  Or key players refuse to continue?  MLB gives up on their season?  Baseball is probably one of the safest sports with respect to spreading a respiratory virus on the field (but lockerooms are another matter).   

Also, the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings have just announced that their Infection Control Officer has tested positive for coronavirus
haha, will not say that, given they all play with the same ball LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL.  MLS' tournament is almost done, and their bubble experiment seems working fine. So, if NHL can finish their playoffs too, we may see some new league format. BTW, NFL will be an interesting one, can a non-gate league survive with unlimited reasoure?

Anyway, I bit the bullet this weekend and went to two clubs to play; no one wore mask, almost no social distancing and only few bottles of hand sanitizer and few bills from CDC reminded you that there was a pandemic. They would measure your temp only if you were newcomer.
 



Edited by Egghead - 07/27/2020 at 6:12pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 12/03/2012
Location: Phoenix
Status: Offline
Points: 1930
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Anyway, I bit the bullet this weekend and went to two clubs to play; no one wore mask, almost no social distancing and only few bottles of hand sanitizer and few bills from CDC reminded you that there was a pandemic. They would measure your temp only if you were newcomer
And that is exactly the reason why we are seeing the numbers rise dramatically in some states right now.
Stiga ALL 2000 '76; DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer ABS2 2.3

My Feedback
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 13240
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Well that didn't take long (three days into the season).   Fourteen members of the Miami Marlins baseball organization including  12 players  have tested positive for Covid-19.   Several infected players were on the field against the Philadelphia Phillies.   Anybody want to make an over/under bet on how long before this spreads to the point that some team has to completely opt out of playing?  Or key players refuse to continue?  MLB gives up on their season?  Baseball is probably one of the safest sports with respect to spreading a respiratory virus on the field (but lockerooms are another matter).   

Also, the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings have just announced that their Infection Control Officer has tested positive for coronavirus

Let us look at what the CDC has posted on the disease. 


Without information on when they were infected, a lot of this becomes sensationalism.  If the baseball players are getting regular tests, I take this back but it seems to me that very few distinctions are being made between people who recently contracted the virus, people who are sickened by it and people who are testing positive for it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Back to Top
qpskfec View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 07/28/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 466
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 8:33pm
MLB is testing players and staff every other day. Players and staff are not isolating. They go home to their families and communities and whatever happens happens.

This just reflects how badly the US has handled the virus. Lots of people were predicting this for MLB. There's just too much virus in the general population. How much worse will this be in the NFL, where people hit each other?

South Korea had live fans at baseball games yesterday at reduced capacity. The big euro soccer leagues have restarted and finished now without major incident.

The NBA has a reasonable chance to complete the season because they are isolating everyone in a bubble with very strict protocols.

Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 8:34pm
NL, the implication is that this thing can spread fast among people who congregate together and MLB players are tested regularly, every few days.  I dont think pointing this out is remotely sensationalistic*.  All you need is one "super spreader" to cause  real havoc, and we now see more than a third of a single team's active roster testing positive. It is something to consider for TT players in the US, some of whom, based on what has been reported in this thread don't take precautions. 

As for NBA I predict that at least one team will have a significant outbreak affecting multiple players simultaneously in spite of their precautions. 

* some people on various threads suggested I was being overly alarmed a few months back when we were at 10,000 dead.  Now we are at 150,000 in the US.  

And yes, the previous poster is correct,  MLB players are tested every other day. 



Edited by Baal - 07/27/2020 at 9:10pm
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 13240
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

NL, the implication is that this thing can spread fast among people who congregate together and MLB players are tested regularly, every few days.  I dont think pointing this out is remotely sensationalistic*.  All you need is one "super spreader" to real havoc, and we now see more than a third of a single team's active roster testing positive. It is something to consider for TT players in the US, some of whom, based on what has been reported in this thread don't take precautions. 

As for NBA I predict that at least one time will have a significant outbreak affecting multiple players simultaneously in spite of their precautions. 

* some people on various threads suggested I was being overly alarmed a few months back when we were at 10,000 dead.  Now we are at 150,000 in the US.  

I think I posted in another conversation at another time that Michael Levitt predicted 200 to 300 thousand deaths in the US as his base prediction if the disease was allows to spread.  What will be interesting is what we learn about this disease and the impact of forced lockdowns after the politics makes way for calm reflection.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 9:08pm
Here is some calm reflection.   The disease  IS being allowed to spread in the US, certainly in many areas.  Anyone in the US who plays TT without a mask is engaging in very risky behavior.  That is more polite than is called for, but it will have to do.

Without social distancing this will continue to wreak havoc on society. This ain't politics.   It's biology. 

I envy people in Europe who are able to have almost normal lives now.


Edited by Baal - 07/27/2020 at 9:17pm
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

NL, the implication is that this thing can spread fast among people who congregate together and MLB players are tested regularly, every few days.  I dont think pointing this out is remotely sensationalistic*.  All you need is one "super spreader" to cause  real havoc, and we now see more than a third of a single team's active roster testing positive. It is something to consider for TT players in the US, some of whom, based on what has been reported in this thread don't take precautions. 

As for NBA I predict that at least one team will have a significant outbreak affecting multiple players simultaneously in spite of their precautions. 
.....

I highly doubt that NBA will have a signifcant outbreak. Last time I checked; NBA would play in a bubble environment. So, if one team gets it, all team will likely to get it too. And, it means there will be a big problem. How can a person inside a "coronvirus-free" zone with all check points get infected Dead


Edited by Egghead - 07/27/2020 at 10:33pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2020 at 11:02pm
I stand by my NBA prediction.
Back to Top
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/16/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6430
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I stand by my NBA prediction.

Supposedly Lou Williams left the bubble for an excused reason, but was seen at a strip club. And he's one of the older players. Most of the NBA players or a lot of them are barely 20, and we know that age group isn't the best for distancing and such. So I wouldn't be surprised if you're right although I hope that you're not.
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:42am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I stand by my NBA prediction.

Supposedly Lou Williams left the bubble for an excused reason, but was seen at a strip club. And he's one of the older players. Most of the NBA players or a lot of them are barely 20, and we know that age group isn't the best for distancing and such. So I wouldn't be surprised if you're right although I hope that you're not.
ya, that is exactly what I mean. He needs to serve 10-day quarantine and be retested before joining the team. With this level of caution measurement, we still have an outbreak. What should regular folks do?


Edited by Egghead - 07/29/2020 at 1:30pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
qpskfec View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 07/28/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 466
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:56am
NBA, MLS, and WNBA are all playing in their own bubbles in Florida.

Before play resumed, 2 MLS teams dropped out due to covid. Since then, MLS has been playing for about a month now without incident. They are in the playoffs now, so as losing teams exit the bubble, the number of people left goes down. They look likely to complete their tourney in 2 weeks.

If MLS can get to the end, it will be a positive sign for the NBA. The NBA is essentially doing the same thing as MLS, but doing it at a higher level, as the NBA is spending $150 million on their bubble. There has been no outbreak in the NBA bubble so far.

Edited by qpskfec - 07/28/2020 at 12:59am
Back to Top
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/16/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6430
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:57am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

NBA, MLS, and WNBA are all playing in their own bubbles in Florida.

Before play resumed, 2 MLS teams dropped out due to covid. Since then, MLS has been playing for about a month now without incident. They are in the playoffs now, so as losing teams exit the bubble, the number of people left goes down. They look likely to complete their tourney in 2 weeks.

If MLS can get to the end, it will be a positive sign for the NBA. The NBA is essentially doing the same thing as MLS, but doing it at a higher level, as the NBA is spending $150 million on their bubble.

And they still complain about the food 
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 7:59am
And so far the bubble seems to be working since nobody has tested positive since July 13.

So far.

For our sport just keep in mind that you don't know if your club mates are effectively living in a bubble but if you see someone at a club playing without one you'd best assume they are not particularly cautious about how they approach living in a pandemic. 


Edited by Baal - 07/28/2020 at 8:03am
Back to Top
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 08/16/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1368
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 8:09am
I heard a baseball analyst suggest that they should rethink whether players should be allowed to fist bump and such. I can't say how these players got infected, but I'd bet it was due to something off the field rather than on the field.

A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

NBA, MLS, and WNBA are all playing in their own bubbles in Florida.

Before play resumed, 2 MLS teams dropped out due to covid. Since then, MLS has been playing for about a month now without incident. They are in the playoffs now, so as losing teams exit the bubble, the number of people left goes down. They look likely to complete their tourney in 2 weeks.

If MLS can get to the end, it will be a positive sign for the NBA. The NBA is essentially doing the same thing as MLS, but doing it at a higher level, as the NBA is spending $150 million on their bubble.

And they still complain about the food 
150M did not "go a long way" now. Both MLS and NBA players' meals are airline econ class' food quality, and WNBA players' meals are soup Kutchen food quality. So, it is understandable that NBA players complain about the food LOLLOLLOL. Let wait for the NHL; of course, given both bubbles are in Canada, may be it will be different :')
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
qpskfec View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 07/28/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 466
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 2:01pm
When NBA players first entered the bubble, they had to stay in their rooms for a few days and had food delivered, only a few complained.

After testing negative every day for several days, they are allowed to use the resort facilities, including high end places to eat. Entire luxury hotels are running at very low occupancy with no non NBA guests. They are eating just fine.
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

When NBA players first entered the bubble, they had to stay in their rooms for a few days and had food delivered, only a few complained.

After testing negative every day for several days, they are allowed to use the resort facilities, including high end places to eat. Entire luxury hotels are running at very low occupancy with no non NBA guests. They are eating just fine.
cool, I though they would only have airline econ class' food when they were not at team activities Embarrassed
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 6:44pm
I think the NBA model is the  best but I  still predict at some point the bubble will be penetrated.  I hope I'm wrong.  

As for MLB, I also doubt the virus spreads on the  field.   But teams share locker rooms,  have meetings together, etc.  plus they are traveling.  

College football teams are seeing lots of positive tests.  Kids being kids.
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I heard a baseball analyst suggest that they should rethink whether players should be allowed to fist bump and such. I can't say how these players got infected, but I'd bet it was due to something off the field rather than on the field.

haha, unlike MLS, NHL and NBA, MLB and NFL are playing seasonal games. At first, MLB wants to do the hub format, but the MLBPA says no. In fact, if bubble works for seasonal games, NFL will be the first onr to jump in. Now, every eye will watch how NFL unfold their season.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 09/05/2009
Location: N.A.
Status: Offline
Points: 4013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think the NBA model is the  best but I  still predict at some point the bubble will be penetrated.  I hope I'm wrong.  

As for MLB, I also doubt the virus spreads on the  field.   But teams share locker rooms,  have meetings together, etc.  plus they are traveling.  

College football teams are seeing lots of positive tests.  Kids being kids.
First of all , there was no doubt that one of teammembers caught the virus outside of the team building. The problem is that MLB has a stringent guidelines for the clubhouse, such as wearing masks, maintaining social distance. spacing out equipment in the workout room, restricting how many players can work out at the same time, and making sure each player has his own equipments. Then, they still have an outbreak. 

The funny thing is that MLB knows they will have issues. Teams have 60-players pool now, but the teams don't want to play againt teams with outbreak nowLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Back to Top
ejprinz View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01/01/2020
Location: Austin, Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 49
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2020 at 9:17pm
I uploaded a video on how to play table tennis in a safe(r) way compared to not wearing a face mask. I've been playing since June 1st, 2020, 2-3x/week, 3 hours at a time, ~70% intensity with the face mask. I loose about 6lbs in 3 hours (mostly water of course).
Given that many people wear rather flimsy masks or no masks I think there is a need to protect myself in addition to others. See:  https://youtu.be/K1mQJZhI108

I use the same mask when I go grocery shopping or go anywhere else.


Edited by ejprinz - 07/28/2020 at 9:19pm
Sanwei Fextra, Nittaku FastArc G1 / Moristo SP
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 13240
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2020 at 11:14am
So Baal,  has Houston turned out as badly as you expected, or are you still waiting for it to turn into NY?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Back to Top
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/16/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6430
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So Baal,  has Houston turned out as badly as you expected, or are you still waiting for it to turn into NY?

It's hard to read the Houston data because all of Texas shows this huge Spike in one day of like six hundred and some. Apparently they changed  the method of data collection to using death certificates  and entered a bunch at once?
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 13240
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

So Baal,  has Houston turned out as badly as you expected, or are you still waiting for it to turn into NY?

It's hard to read the Houston data because all of Texas shows this huge Spike in one day of like six hundred and some. Apparently they changed  the method of data collection to using death certificates  and entered a bunch at once?

Yes, they sometimes report deaths from the past and reclassify them or say they were missing and they are now data.  The media unfortunately doesn't highlight this since they are either ignorant or not interested in showing a true trend.  I leave you to decide which.

A couple of engineers and analysts I follow on Twitter/Youtube analyze the data and they argue that if we we were testing in NY the same way they were testing in TX and FL, the case count have been much higher than anything we are seeing in TX and FL.  This is why I think it is worth waiting a few years to look back on some of this - right now, any skepticism about how the virus is being portrayed is associated with support for Trump.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 13929
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2020 at 8:55pm
My colleagues say things have been on a razor edge but trending slightly better, depending on what you look at.  The key is to look at multiple metrics.  New Covid-19 hospitalizations has steadily trended down this week.  Depends a little on which hospital you look at and it is requiring a lot of coordinating to send patients from hospital A to hospital B.  BUT, I have to point out that Houston is incredibly dense hospital infrastructure per capita.  There are also refrigerator trucks at several places to store bodies.

A big issue has been testing and getting results back quickly.  Hospital systems have their own testing capabilities for patients who are present at the hospitals. Getting reagents makes my friend who runs the clinical lab at one of the hospitals really nervous.  But at other testing centers, getting results back takes so long it is pretty much useless for contact tracing. 

The situation is much worse some other parts of Texas.  In the Rio Grande Valley it seems that the situation is basically like New York.  The hospital infrastructure there is not like here.

Clearly I don't think it is possible to make any conclusion by comparing total number of cases in July in Texas compared to March in NYC based on tests.   HOWEVER there are many other types of data that do portray the situation more realistically.  This week the number of tests that have been coming out POSITIVE here is above 19%, and much higher for some subsets of the population (for example Hispanic people, where it approaches 40%).  Fortunately this this is down from 26% earlier this month.  Even the governor wants to see it below 10% (most infectious disease specialists would say lower than that).  The virus is still racing through the city, but maybe is slowing a little.  There is also the fact the percentage of ICU units in Houston and Texas in general currently occupied by Covid-19 patients is still very high, but for now, not exceeding capacity.  Regarding new hospitalizations at Texas Medical Center hospitals, yesterday 198 people were admitted with Covid-19, down from an average of 250 or so around July 4.  That is a genuine trend.  The number of Covid-19 patients in ICUs in at the Texas Medical Center is at an all-time peak.  That is a lagging indicator, as are deaths.  Some people stay critically ill for a long time before getting better or dying.  But note that this is one of the key statistics for measuring how Covid-19 affects a hospital system.  Covid-19 is right now using 6-times as many total hospital resources as it did in the last week of May.  Another point is that elective surgeries are not allowed here, which is a huge financial problem for hospitals.  Finally, Texas is fairly steady at ~170 deaths/day.

So there is kind of a summary.  Anyone who is suggesting or hinting that we ought not to be taking this seriously is an idiot.


Edited by Baal - 07/29/2020 at 9:17pm
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 13240
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My colleagues say things have been on a razor edge but trending slightly better, depending on what you look at.  The key is to look at multiple metrics.  New Covid-19 hospitalizations has steadily trended down this week.  Depends a little on which hospital you look at and it is requiring a lot of coordinating to send patients from hospital A to hospital B.  BUT, I have to point out that Houston is incredibly dense hospital infrastructure per capita.  There are also refrigerator trucks at several places to store bodies.

A big issue has been testing and getting results back quickly.  Hospital systems have their own testing capabilities for patients who are present at the hospitals. Getting reagents makes my friend who runs the clinical lab at one of the hospitals really nervous.  But at other testing centers, getting results back takes so long it is pretty much useless for contact tracing. 

The situation is much worse some other parts of Texas.  In the Rio Grande Valley it seems that the situation is basically like New York.  The hospital infrastructure there is not like here.

Clearly I don't think it is possible to make any conclusion by comparing total number of cases in July in Texas compared to March in NYC based on tests.   HOWEVER there are many other types of data that do portray the situation more realistically.  This week the number of tests that have been coming out POSITIVE here is above 19%, and much higher for some subsets of the population (for example Hispanic people, where it approaches 40%).  Fortunately this this is down from 26% earlier this month.  Even the governor wants to see it below 10% (most infectious disease specialists would say lower than that).  The virus is still racing through the city, but maybe is slowing a little.  There is also the fact the percentage of ICU units in Houston and Texas in general currently occupied by Covid-19 patients is still very high, but for now, not exceeding capacity.  Regarding new hospitalizations at Texas Medical Center hospitals, yesterday 198 people were admitted with Covid-19, down from an average of 250 or so around July 4.  That is a genuine trend.  The number of Covid-19 patients in ICUs in at the Texas Medical Center is at an all-time peak.  That is a lagging indicator, as are deaths.  Some people stay critically ill for a long time before getting better or dying.  But note that this is one of the key statistics for measuring how Covid-19 affects a hospital system.  Covid-19 is right now using 6-times as many total hospital resources as it did in the last week of May.  Another point is that elective surgeries are not allowed here, which is a huge financial problem for hospitals.  Finally, Texas is fairly steady at ~170 deaths/day.

So there is kind of a summary.  Anyone who is suggesting or hinting that we ought not to be taking this seriously is an idiot.

Maybe taking it seriously can only be done by frightening people into submission.

We will see whether Texas and other hot states materially affect this trend.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.

Become a Fan on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Web Wiz News
About MyTableTennis.NET | Forum Help | Disclaimer

MyTableTennis.NET is the trading name of Alex Table Tennis Ltd.

Copyright ©2003-2020 Alex Table Tennis Ltd. All rights reserved.