Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When will we play Table Tennis again?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will we play Table Tennis again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 9:56am
Yep.  If you sit and digest it for a few seconds instead of just skimming through it like I did initially the more nuts most of it seems.  Even the stuff that isn't nuts probably won't happen (I seriously doubt clubs will log their sanitizing procedures; frankly I doubt many will even do it).  And the idea of a " medical aid station" at a TT club would make things worse, not better.  Emergency response?  Someone sneezed?  Call the ambulance. 

Oh well.

Edited by Baal - 05/17/2020 at 10:19am
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 10:29am
Baal: your Covid19 related info on propagation / protection is incredibly useful given your background. Especially as there is so much info being propagated by those not quite qualified to do so.

Thanks.

A favor to ask.

Can you, in a separate post, perhaps, explicitly lay down sensible rules you would put in place at a TT club if you owned one and were reopening? If you have already addressed this somewhere, please LMK.

Tack så mycket!
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 10:44am
If you read the guidelines, you can tell that most of them are there to cover the bases from a legal standpoint for the USATT. I seriously doubt that they think that anyone is actually going to hire a medical director. I would bet that most places are just happy to have a place to play and even that is in jeopardy now.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Baal: your Covid19 related info on propagation / protection is incredibly useful given your background. Especially as there is so much info being propagated by those not quite qualified to do so.

Thanks.

A favor to ask.

Can you, in a separate post, perhaps, explicitly lay down sensible rules you would put in place at a TT club if you owned one and were reopening? If you have already addressed this somewhere, please LMK.

Tack så mycket!
I so agree we are lucky to have him. 

There is a thread from 04/23/ related to the request to which he will maybe add as we get more info. It is locked to avoid heated discussions, the guidelines are clear.

In the news on the main page there is a banner to it that looks like that:

Edited by stiltt - 05/17/2020 at 10:52am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 11:17am
Slevin,

Everything in that previous post that stiltt linked to still stands.  Here is what I would add to it now.

Masks will help protect other people from you in case you are infected.  They may protect you to some degree depending on how tightly it fits and what it is made of, but more protective masks are more uncomfortable.  If both players wear masks it would be better from a virus transmission point of view but I really dont know is wearing masks playing TT is something people will agree to.

If you play you are taking on faith that people around you are taking reasonable precautions.  Should you have that faith?  Here is an experience I had last week that co,ors my thinking.  I had a zoom conference with an unnamed club asking my advice on reopening based on my posts here.  One person on the conference is a dentist who is starting work again and noted correctly that her profession was especially dangerous because all the procedures are bound to flush virus particles into the air.  She said she fully expects to be infected at some point but she still intends to play and says we should not live in fear.. That is what you are dealing with.  She was not enthusiastic about wearing a mask while playing.  I could anticipate a problem down the road if that attitude is very common and I believe it is just based on threads here.

Earlier on in this thread I posted questions you need to answer for yourself to make a personal checklist of sorts.  Ive done that and based on where I live and my  own circumstances and risk tolerance I wont be playing for awhile.  

Edited by Baal - 05/17/2020 at 4:54pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In an adult that is not how the immune system works.  The posts I hid were nonsensical for other reasons as well.  In any case the thread is more about clubs, policies they are taking, and what players might want to know about if they can play safely.
Make no mistake, I am not wearing a tin foil hat. I have read somewhere (cannot find the source now) that people will be more vulnerable to flu, cold .....  when we are finally re-open because of the isolation. Do we need to think about it too when we  met our club mate first time? 
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 4:46pm
Egghead, I'm sure you read it but it's not true assuming you are at least in your 20s or older. People have some odd ideas about immunology.  That's not what you should worry about.   

As for meeting friends and stuff, you have to see them! You can't be a social hermit.  You'll go nuts if you stay alone all the time.  

The way to approach this is to just accept that times arent going to be normal for awhile, and we need to live our lives.  A few new habits will help.  So avoid crowded indoor places,  try to meet your friends outdoors, wash your hands whenever you can and wear a mask when you are going to be around many people or for example in any retail store. (Wearing a mask isn't a sign of weakness or fear, it is a symbol that you care about the people around you).  If you eat at a restaurant go for outdoor seating for the timebeing.  Don't use public toilets if at all possible.    Dont shake hands with people.  Wear a glove when you fill your car with gas.  Stuff like that.  It doesnt need to paralyze you.  Just get in the habit of taking some reasonable precautions.

In general it would be pretty hard to get infected in a park or riding a bike or playing golf or tennis.  I wouldn't hesitate for a second.  Table tennis is a different situation though.  It's indoors and there are a lot of things about it that worry m because it depends on part on other people at the club, not just you and your friend.  It is just impossible to give advice confidently about it.  

Edited by Baal - 05/17/2020 at 8:09pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 6:23pm

Those blessed Niderlanders. Everyone's envy, me too.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 6:41pm
Very cool!  Of course it can be pretty breezy in the Netherlands, but still.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 7:53pm
I thought this might be interesting to some people who are wondering when we might expect a vaccine against SARS-COV-2.  To have a feeling for that, you need to know how these things are tested, which I can describe in somewhat approximate terms as follows:

Drugs and vaccines are tested in three phases but the process for a drug and for a vaccine is a little different because of the nature of how they work. In Phase 1 you give the drug or vaccine to a few healthy volunteers to make sure it does not immediately produce some really bad effect. In the case of the vaccine you also look to see if you can detect some antibodies the patient has generated to the vaccine. A Phase 2 clinical trial for a drug is carried out in a relatively small group of people with the disease, but not a lot, and you are looking at preliminary data for effectiveness.  (You also collect more safety data for the FDA and a company has to decide from all that whether it is worth the massive investment needed to go on to the next stage).  A Phase 2 test for a vaccine is more to identify the dose and number of injections needed to optimize the immune response in case you need to adjust the formulation a bit.

A full scale randomized double-blind clinical trial occurs in Phase 3 (if the results were positive in Phases 1 and 2).   It costs a fortune.  If we are testing a drug like remdisivir or chloroquine for Covid-19 you find a bunch of patients, you randomize them into two equivalent groups, one gets the current standard of care plus a placebo, the other gets standard of care plus the drug. You decide in advance what clinical endpoints will indicate success (so-called primary and secondary endpoints), which in Covid-19 might be whether they end up on a respirator, or how long on a respirator, or time to release from the hospital, or how many die, etc. etc., but the key is you have to decide on this in advance. After a few months maybe you have enough patients and clinical outcomes to break the codes of who got drug and who got placebo and analyze what happened and hopefully get a statistically meaningful answer about whether the drug is effective and also what problems it might induce. (Usually a group of statisticians not involved in patient care actually have a look at outcomes about half way through in case there is already a very clear positive or negative result, this is for ethical reasons).

But a vaccine is a different animal because by definition you are giving it to healthy people and the object is to keep them from getting sick (and therefore standards for safety are much higher, plus in the end you will be giving it to children also). So you need a lot more people. You give them the vaccine or a placebo, and then you just let them go about their lives.  (It is unethical to intentionally expose them to the pathogen!!!) Now, about a year or more later, you come back and check how many in each group ended up getting sick. You need a lot of people in these trials because maybe only some small % of even the placebo group will get sick (not everyone will get exposed to the pathogen in their daily life). And you need to allow enough time for (a) the immune system to react to the vaccine, which is usually a few weeks, and (b) enough time for enough people in your control group to actually get sick from the pathogen so you will have something to compare the vaccine group to and get a statistically meaningful result if it is actually effective. Most of the time it would be one year to 18 months based on what I've read about influenza, but maybe it could be a little faster with this pandemic. Of course you want to carry out the trial at multiple locations. People who design these kinds of trials are very high power statisticians and they can usually know pretty well in advance how many people and how much time it takes. The more people, the more it costs and maybe the less time it takes. But the more people, the more you have already scaled up your production capacity. Bear in mind also that vaccines are expensive to produce and require refrigeration.

So this is why we can get information on effective drugs faster than effective vaccines (ESPECIALLY if we are re-purposing already approved drugs).That's why  some things I've heard some people say about when we can expect to get a vaccine seem unrealistic to me. With that said, I am very confident we will eventually have one.  In fact, I would not be at all surprised if some of the vaccines that are starting to be tested will end up working fine.  It just takes quite a bit of time to find out.

Edited by Baal - 05/17/2020 at 8:00pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 8:57pm
How long do you think it will be until I can walk into my doctor and request and antibody test to see if I've ever had it, and pay less than 100 for it
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 8:58pm

... Wearing a mask isn't a sign of weakness or fear, it is a symbol that you care about the people around you. ...

My friends in Australia told me that less than 5% of people are wearing masks. Where I am in Japan, pretty easily over 80% of people I see are wearing masks.

They say they don't wear masks because it's socially strange, that people look at them weird for wearing a mask :(

I told them to be trend setters.

Edited by mickd - 05/17/2020 at 8:59pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

How long do you think it will be until I can walk into my doctor and request and antibody test to see if I've ever had it, and pay less than 100 for it

I can't say for sure but my guess would be never unless it is covered by your insurance.  I don't think there is anything a physician would ever do that costs less than 100 USD.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 9:56pm
well the test itself that is. I believe I can go to a bigger town around and get one now for 169

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2020 at 10:35pm

well the test itself that is. I believe I can go to a bigger town around and get one now for 169
Isn't there some debate about which tests are reliable and which provide meaningful information?  Some countries have floated the idea of health passports, where you can show you've been tested.  One of the objections from the health field is a lack of confidence in the tests, or in their meaningful use as an indicator.

I'd be interested myself.  I had a covid-like illness at the beginning of January (which was before covid was known to be here) and I've always wondered if it was covid, or just a coincidence.
allencorn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 12:39am

I thought this might be interesting to some people who are wondering when we might expect a vaccine against SARS-COV-2.  To have a feeling for that, you need to know how these things are tested, which I can describe in somewhat approximate terms as follows:

Drugs and vaccines are tested in three phases but the process for a drug and for a vaccine is a little different because of the nature of how they work. In Phase 1 you give the drug or vaccine to a few healthy volunteers to make sure it does not immediately produce some really bad effect. In the case of the vaccine you also look to see if you can detect some antibodies the patient has generated to the vaccine. A Phase 2 clinical trial for a drug is carried out in a relatively small group of people with the disease, but not a lot, and you are looking at preliminary data for effectiveness.  (You also collect more safety data for the FDA and a company has to decide from all that whether it is worth the massive investment needed to go on to the next stage).  A Phase 2 test for a vaccine is more to identify the dose and number of injections needed to optimize the immune response in case you need to adjust the formulation a bit.

A full scale randomized double-blind clinical trial occurs in Phase 3 (if the results were positive in Phases 1 and 2).   It costs a fortune.  If we are testing a drug like remdisivir or chloroquine for Covid-19 you find a bunch of patients, you randomize them into two equivalent groups, one gets the current standard of care plus a placebo, the other gets standard of care plus the drug. You decide in advance what clinical endpoints will indicate success (so-called primary and secondary endpoints), which in Covid-19 might be whether they end up on a respirator, or how long on a respirator, or time to release from the hospital, or how many die, etc. etc., but the key is you have to decide on this in advance. After a few months maybe you have enough patients and clinical outcomes to break the codes of who got drug and who got placebo and analyze what happened and hopefully get a statistically meaningful answer about whether the drug is effective and also what problems it might induce. (Usually a group of statisticians not involved in patient care actually have a look at outcomes about half way through in case there is already a very clear positive or negative result, this is for ethical reasons).

But a vaccine is a different animal because by definition you are giving it to healthy people and the object is to keep them from getting sick (and therefore standards for safety are much higher, plus in the end you will be giving it to children also). So you need a lot more people. You give them the vaccine or a placebo, and then you just let them go about their lives.  (It is unethical to intentionally expose them to the pathogen!!!) Now, about a year or more later, you come back and check how many in each group ended up getting sick. You need a lot of people in these trials because maybe only some small % of even the placebo group will get sick (not everyone will get exposed to the pathogen in their daily life). And you need to allow enough time for (a) the immune system to react to the vaccine, which is usually a few weeks, and (b) enough time for enough people in your control group to actually get sick from the pathogen so you will have something to compare the vaccine group to and get a statistically meaningful result if it is actually effective. Most of the time it would be one year to 18 months based on what I've read about influenza, but maybe it could be a little faster with this pandemic. Of course you want to carry out the trial at multiple locations. People who design these kinds of trials are very high power statisticians and they can usually know pretty well in advance how many people and how much time it takes. The more people, the more it costs and maybe the less time it takes. But the more people, the more you have already scaled up your production capacity. Bear in mind also that vaccines are expensive to produce and require refrigeration.

So this is why we can get information on effective drugs faster than effective vaccines (ESPECIALLY if we are re-purposing already approved drugs).That's why  some things I've heard some people say about when we can expect to get a vaccine seem unrealistic to me. With that said, I am very confident we will eventually have one.  In fact, I would not be at all surprised if some of the vaccines that are starting to be tested will end up working fine.  It just takes quite a bit of time to find out.

Great summary. I am a statistician, and one of the unfortunate complications is you would really like to test the vaccine within a population where the virus is rampant, so you can get results quicker. Of course, with something as dangerous as COVID-19, you want it to be minimized in a population to reduce fatalities and risk of spread. So the more effective we are in the next 6 month or so in reducing the prevalence, the tougher and longer it will be to demonstrate that a vaccine works. I suspect to is going to be a while before we know anything for sure, and then there will be the issues of manufacture and distribution. Ugh. What a mess.
allencorn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 12:42am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Isn't there some debate about which tests are reliable and which provide meaningful information?  Some countries have floated the idea of health passports, where you can show you've been tested.  One of the objections from the health field is a lack of confidence in the tests, or in their meaningful use as an indicator.

I'd be interested myself.  I had a covid-like illness at the beginning of January (which was before covid was known to be here) and I've always wondered if it was covid, or just a coincidence.

I had a bad case of the flu in CA in moid-January and have wondered the same thing, but I have read multiple sources that reported the flu WAS bad in winter and it is highly unlikely that COVID-19 was around in any great numbers in January. The early cases were few, and if it was widespread then, the beginning of the spread would have looked much different.
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 2:12am
As a fellow scientist, I appreciate you taking the time to explain clinical trials and vaccine expectations, Baal. I have been active on FB trying to do the same (plus taught a section Covid-19 in my Med Chem class and gave a presentation on it to my department). It is very much an uphill battle, because we are not only battling a pandemic disease but also a pandemic of misinformation, scientific illiteracy, "opinions" and politicization. I for one am in no hurry to reengage with society, yet alone to play TT in a club. And if a vaccine magically is available before year's end, you won't be see me in front of the line because, as you explained Baal, there really is no way that a vaccine can be developed, rigorously tested, and mass-produced in that amount of time, irrespective what talking heads says or we want to believe.  
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

As a fellow scientist, I appreciate you taking the time to explain clinical trials and vaccine expectations, Baal. I have been active on FB trying to do the same (plus taught a section Covid-19 in my Med Chem class and gave a presentation on it to my department). It is very much an uphill battle, because we are not only battling a pandemic disease but also a pandemic of misinformation, scientific illiteracy, "opinions" and politicization. I for one am in no hurry to reengage with society, yet alone to play TT in a club. And if a vaccine magically is available before year's end, you won't be see me in front of the line because, as you explained Baal, there really is no way that a vaccine can be developed, rigorously tested, and mass-produced in that amount of time, irrespective what talking heads says or we want to believe.  

Are you in the at-risk population for a serious case of the disease?  Curious.  Or maybe you have colleagues you need to protect from the spread?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 10:12am

I feel like playing at in clubs probably would have greatly increased your exposure or chance of exposure early in the virus, as we all know table tennis is an international sport. Just think of all the viruses that are up there at the short part of the table by the network people wipe their hands!

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 10:22am
NL, I dont want to put words in Patrick's mouth, but if it was suddenly announced that a vaccine had been discovered and proved to be effective, let's say in October, many scientists who understand drug discovery would very much doubt it was true and might suspect that either something in the approval process had been corruptly manipulated (because it is extremely unlikely that a proper vaccine testing process could be completed by then); or alternatively we would anticipate that in spite of the announcement for mysterious reasons nobody would be able to actually get this vaccine. It would depend a lot on who made the announcement. An ineffective vaccine would produce a false sense of security.   

This comment could be construed as a form of tinfoil hat (and I doubt any such announcement will occur that soon), but some of what I have seen from the CDC and FDA this year has shocked my faith in the independence of those agencies enough to actually make me consider that this could hapoen. 

Now if the results of the Phase 3 trial were made transparently available and independent statisticians got to look at the data, I would then believe.

Edited by Baal - 05/18/2020 at 10:32am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 10:38am

There was one study by scientists at UCSF who tested a bunch of these antibody testing kits (more t h an 100 are currently in existence).  Some had false positive rates greater than the most likely prevalence of the disease in many communities.  And other kits performed well.  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 11:06am

NL, I dont want to put words in Patrick's mouth, but if it was suddenly announced that a vaccine had been discovered and proved to be effective, let's say in October, many scientists who understand drug discovery would very much doubt it was true and might suspect that either something in the approval process had been corruptly manipulated (because it is extremely unlikely that a proper vaccine testing process could be completed by then); or alternatively we would anticipate that in spite of the announcement for mysterious reasons nobody would be able to actually get this vaccine. It would depend a lot on who made the announcement. An ineffective vaccine would produce a false sense of security.   

This comment could be construed as a form of tinfoil hat (and I doubt any such announcement will occur that soon), but some of what I have seen from the CDC and FDA this year has shocked my faith in the independence of those agencies enough to actually make me consider that this could hapoen. 

Now if the results of the Phase 3 trial were made transparently available and independent statisticians got to look at the data, I would then believe.

Thanks, Baal.  I already find the pronouncements about vaccines ridiculous and I have felt that way in my usually layman-informed way since March when I found out that there were no existing vaccines for any coronaviruses in March and that some people worked on them for SarsCov1 and never produced them, including lauded experts in the current administration.  If they find a coronavirus vaccine, I am highly unlikely to ever take it.  I have nothing against vaccines in general and have taken them often in the past, and still get tetanus shots if I find out I haven't taken my booster or get the shots required to travel to countries as necessary.  

What I am trying to understand about this disease is what people have heard about it that makes them think it is a risk to them as an individual.  Are they unfortunate to have some pre-existing condition?  Or are they in the age demographic where this disease is generally deadly?  Or are they just convinced that the disease is not well understood and that exposing themselves to it could be a death sentence given how healthy they think they are?  And since Patrick seems more informed than most, I expect his answer to be insightful.  If for example he has asthma, then his position is easily explained.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/18/2020 at 11:08am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 2:23pm
We should all watch this movie LOL

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 2:44pm
It's an excellent movie, perhaps the best in terms of scientific reality.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 3:33pm
Never mind.  I wrote a long post and lost it due to a permissions error.  

Edited by BRS - 05/18/2020 at 3:34pm
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 6:44pm
I am not a member of the at-risk population, nor are my family members. Also, I have nothing to gain financially from a continued shutdown - on the contrary, universities will be in financial peril because of Covid-19. Faculty, including some tenured faculty will find themselves on chopping boards. And let me tell you tele-working was no dance on roses!! Lastly, to keep this TT related: I miss playing against other people (I have a robot), and would want to see this end as quickly as possible. 

I am a scientist, who looks at data and knowledge in a dispassionate non-BS manner. Science, coupled with history, tells us what is going on and what to expect, i.e., what the most likely path forward will be. I am skeptical of those with obvious vested financial and political interests.   

I want to see humanity (and organizations) make data- and science-informed decisions, especially as it pertains to the Covid-19 crisis. The partial opening of some, but not all, states is justified and even overdue, provided everyone respects the new "normal'. However, I want people to be aware that i) the virus has not disappeared, ii) it has not become less dangerous, iii) there is no vaccine or effective treatment, nor will there be one in the short-term unless - as Baal indicated - major safety short-cuts are made. We cannot stay in lock-down mode for months on end. In principle society could make this work and adapt to the new normal (i.e., social distancing, masks, low occupancy in gyms/restaurants/shops etc) and - if we all respected the restrictions, we could even play TT. However, I don't have any confidence that everyone will be responsible, especially since this is increasingly becoming a politicized issue (freedom vs govt control; finance vs health; right vs left). And it only takes one irresponsible infected person to start the chain again. I don't want to see older, susceptible club members die because I pushed to open up the club. I don't want to infect my neighbors. I don't want to bring it home and potentially infect my kids, and potentially diminish their lung capacity.  

So I am choosing to control, what I can control, at least for the next couple of weeks and months.

Sorry for the marginally TT-related post. Feel free to delete it. I will not be offended.            

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 8:47pm
All three major clubs here in the GTA, My*Table*Tennis*Club (myttc-all 3 locations) , Canadian Community Table Tennis Association (CCTTA) and Canadian Elite Table Tennis Training Center (Elite) have all announced their openings on the 19th, please check their web sites for the policies they have laid out for the re-openings.

Topspin Table Tennis hasn't posted an opening...SPIN TO as a bar has to stay closed unless they close off the "bar area" (just guessing here)

Have fun, stay safe, be vigilant, play table tennis.

Edited by Charlie Brown - 05/18/2020 at 9:03pm
*sigh*
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 9:22pm
I'm going to repost a checklist forum members might find useful for assessing your risk tolerance and whether you want to play if your club opens up.  The answers will not be the same for everyone. Some people can look at this and make a reasonable decision to play and some won't want to for equally good reasons.  Different people have different actual risks as well as different risk yoledance.

1.  What are the odds my playing partner is infected and doesnt know it?  This depends on where you live and the local case rate, population density, etc.  and is something that is changing a bit over time.   Also your partner's attitude towards this situation, his job, etc. Be aware that infected people can be asymptomatic and contagious.  Is my partner willing to wear a mask to protect me?

2.  How big is the playing room and how many people are in it, what is the table spacing, how good is the room ventilation? Does the club limit playing time for one person?

3.  What kinds of sanitizing protocols if any are in place at the club?  Do you trust the claims that sanitizing is being done?  Is hand sanitizer provided?

4.  What are my own personal risk factors (age, do I have other conditions that might predict a bad outcome such as overweight, high blood pressure, prior heart attacks, diabetes, autoimmune disease, history of cancer, COPD, vitamin D deficiency, general fitness level, etc.)

5.  What other risk factors would come into play if I were to get infected (do I have good heath insurance, do I live alone, do I have contact with vulnerable people such as older relatives, how would it affect my job if I were to test positive, etc. etc.).

6.  Can I play in a mask?

7.  Under the conditions that I have to endure to play TT, is it still enough fun to bother or are there other activities I can do for awhile until things get more normal?  How much do I need TT to stay sane? 

In addition I strongly recommend not playing doubles, not changing sides, fairly frequent use of hand sanitizer, and being very careful cleaning your rubber, ideally do it outdoors with alcohol 》70%.

Edited by Baal - 05/18/2020 at 10:31pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

... Wearing a mask isn't a sign of weakness or fear, it is a symbol that you care about the people around you. ...

My friends in Australia told me that less than 5% of people are wearing masks. Where I am in Japan, pretty easily over 80% of people I see are wearing masks.

They say they don't wear masks because it's socially strange, that people look at them weird for wearing a mask :(

I told them to be trend setters.
Tell your friends to wear a face shield Wink

Edited by Egghead - 05/18/2020 at 9:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
  Share Topic