Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When will we play Table Tennis again?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will we play Table Tennis again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 9:43am
https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/almost-30-million-in-us-didn-e2-80-99t-have-enough-to-eat-last-week/ar-BB17ldBN

This is an article from Bloomberg saying that the shutdown has increased hunger. I've read an article that I suppose I could go back and look for that summarized the effect of the shutdowns. They looked at a lot of factors including a huge drop in charitable giving. They estimated amongst all the factors that for every life lost by the virus we have lost 29 lives because of shutting down. I seriously doubt that's accurate, but there's a lot to consider.

If you're a hammer you see every problem as a nail. Epidemiologists goal is to stop the spread, and they're not really concerned about the effects. That's for somebody else to consider. Dr. Fauci has said as much many times. Steve mnuchin's job is to worry about the economy. Somebody has to balance the two.

The short-term solution seems to be printing money. That's all fine and good to a certain point, but once people don't trust the dollar or America's bonds anymore they'll expect a higher return and then we're in really big trouble. If we issue bonds somebody will have to pay them back probably our kids eventually. If we just print money then inflation is about to eat our lunch when the economy does get going again.

That's the real world. 

Edited by cole_ely - 07/30/2020 at 9:43am
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/almost-30-million-in-us-didn-e2-80-99t-have-enough-to-eat-last-week/ar-BB17ldBN

This is an article from Bloomberg saying that the shutdown has increased hunger. I've read an article that I suppose I could go back and look for that summarized the effect of the shutdowns. They looked at a lot of factors including a huge drop in charitable giving. They estimated amongst all the factors that for every life lost by the virus we have lost 29 lives because of shutting down. I seriously doubt that's accurate, but there's a lot to consider.

If you're a hammer you see every problem as a nail. Epidemiologists goal is to stop the spread, and they're not really concerned about the effects. That's for somebody else to consider. Dr. Fauci has said as much many times. Steve mnuchin's job is to worry about the economy. Somebody has to balance the two.

The short-term solution seems to be printing money. That's all fine and good to a certain point, but once people don't trust the dollar or America's bonds anymore they'll expect a higher return and then we're in really big trouble. If we issue bonds somebody will have to pay them back probably our kids eventually. If we just print money then inflation is about to eat our lunch when the economy does get going again.

That's the real world. 

Your link didn't work.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 10:22am
This is a really great article on masks and aerosols. 

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 10:27am
Hi,

Epidemiologists goal is to stop the spread, and they're not really concerned about the effects. 

The above statement is very true among the most visible U.S. epidemiologists trotted out on major media outlets.  The above statement is very much not true among many of the leading epidemiologist around the world.  Their position is far, far more holistic, expressing deep concern for both economic and social elements of enormous importance.

This is very evident in the different approaches being used in different countries.  They, too, are being guided by science, except it is a science of much greater sophistication than the crudeness within the U.S.  The callousness of the Fauci attitude, brushing off as not germane to his responsibility and participation, is a cruelty of monumental proportions.  I do not exaggerate.

Among the NIH, Fauci, the FDA, and the CDC, we are being extremely poorly served and advised.  Couple that with the actions of the U.S. Congress and you have existing and future suffering and death, in the totality of this experience, that holds in rivalry with other historic tragedies.

Thanks.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My favorite part of the article was when they discuss what size of droplet is considered aerosolized and the fact that there is no real cut off point.

Wow, Herman Cain jist passed from corona

Edited by cole_ely - 07/30/2020 at 10:45am
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 10:38am

What is the best study/trial advocating mask use that you can find?  Why would the Dutch government do this if it was a closed case?

Carbonado 245
ejprinz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 12:13pm
I think at this point it is irresponsible to not recommend mask use unless the number of Covid-19 cases is very low (around 200/day in the Netherlands). Germany mandated mask use and social distancing and it worked. Based on expert opinions (e.g. the Korean and German medical experts) masks help.
If I had some comorbidities and lived in the Netherlands, I would walk around in a gas mask just to make a point.
Sanwei Fextra, Nittaku FastArc G1 / Moristo SP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by ejprinz ejprinz wrote:

I think at this point it is irresponsible to not recommend mask use unless the number of Covid-19 cases is very low (around 200/day in the Netherlands). Germany mandated mask use and social distancing and it worked. Based on expert opinions (e.g. the Korean and German medical experts) masks help.
If I had some comorbidities and lived in the Netherlands, I would walk around in a gas mask just to make a point.

I get that.  What is the best scientific study you have supporting your position?
Carbonado 245
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

What is the best study/trial advocating mask use that you can find?  Why would the Dutch government do this if it was a closed case?

Read the NYT article.  There are plenty of citations.  I'm through with you. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2020 at 1:45pm
It is time to lock this thread. 

Each of us will play table tennis again when we choose to assuming you find a place to play.  You can all make your own choices.  Herman Cain made his.  At this point I think the main points are sufficiently widely disseminated that people have access to the information they need -- and of course the misinformation they choose to trust, quite a lot of which manages to find its way onto these threads.

There will be no future threads on Covid-19.  If someone wants to start a thread about masks they have found that are useful for playing sports, that is ok.  I will carefully moderate it.  The rule will be that postings will be limited to the usefulness of the mask for playing TT.  People who don't believe that masks can protect you should stay away from any such thread that might appear in the future.  I'm not going to start one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
  Share Topic