FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Where to play near midtown NYC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hookumsnivy2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to play near midtown NYC
    Posted: 01/26/2019 at 6:21pm
I'm going to be in NYC (54th and 6th) from superbowl sunday until thursday morning for work. I was hoping to find a welcoming place to play once or twice in the evening when I was there. Where would you suggest I go? If it helps, my rating from 3+ years ago was in the low 1600s though people have said I'm playing above that now (not sure how true it is). I will be on my own so I'll have to find people to play.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 9:28pm
Join Table Tennis Daily, get a subway card, link up with UpsidedownCarl and Co to visit some clubs, and record the mayhem.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:00pm
Just google "table tennis clubs in nyc" and a number of them will show up. If you drive I suggest going to Westchester TTC in Pleasantville, the friendliest people and best facilities. 
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:07pm
I liked Lily Yip's club, it's professional and the league is competitive for all.

Edited by fatt - 01/26/2019 at 11:08pm
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Just google "table tennis clubs in nyc" and a number of them will show up. If you drive I suggest going to Westchester TTC in Pleasantville, the friendliest people and best facilities. 

Westchester was my home club back when they were Rivertowns Table Tennis Club and I was a member there for quite a while. Great people and place. I just don't want to drive up there (or take the train) from midtown and back on a weeknight after work hours. It just takes too much time.

Part of the reason why I asked is to make sure I go somewhere where I'll get to play with a variety of people. You never know which places have a good turnout during the week.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:51pm
Take train to Queens (Flushing), there are couple of clubs within walking distance from the last stop (I went to Robert Chen's one). It was good.
USATT: ~1900
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I liked Lily Yip's club, it's professional and the league is competitive for all.

That's a bit too far considering the timing. I figure I can't head out anywhere until maybe 6pm and want to be back by 11-11:30 so I'll be good for work in the morning. I don't want to spend more time commuting than playing.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2019 at 11:57pm
You could try NYTTA: http://thetabletennisacademy.org/
Here you will have a lot of different people to play matches with.  I think it is usually too crowded to actually spend time training so you warm up for 2 minutes and play matches. 

You could also try SPIN NYC but it can be pricey and unless you prearrange to play with someone, I am not sure how successful you will be finding someone. 

You could also try WCTTC: https://www.wangchenttc.com/
Depending on when you go, there might not be anyone to play.  It is usually best 3-6pm or 9-10pm on weekdays or 1-4p on weekends.  You can also post on their facebook page and ask to see if anyone would like to play.  Here you can actually spend a lot of time on a table training or playing matches. 

If you are willing to go to Flushing then NYISC or Rober Chen's clubs are also good options however they are quite a trip from midtown. 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2019 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

You could try NYTTA: http://thetabletennisacademy.org/
Here you will have a lot of different people to play matches with.  I think it is usually too crowded to actually spend time training so you warm up for 2 minutes and play matches. 

You could also try SPIN NYC but it can be pricey and unless you prearrange to play with someone, I am not sure how successful you will be finding someone. 

You could also try WCTTC: https://www.wangchenttc.com/
Depending on when you go, there might not be anyone to play.  It is usually best 3-6pm or 9-10pm on weekdays or 1-4p on weekends.  You can also post on their facebook page and ask to see if anyone would like to play.  Here you can actually spend a lot of time on a table training or playing matches. 

If you are willing to go to Flushing then NYISC or Rober Chen's clubs are also good options however they are quite a trip from midtown. 

Thanks, this was the type of thing I was looking for. I was thinking WCTTC and didn't notice NYTTA. I can get to either of them in under 30 minutes which is a huge plus.
I was under the impression that for SPIN you had to arrange to play someone there.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2019 at 12:56pm
I have had so many successful visits to NYC and TT clubs with my TT friends who live there.

I was in NYC in Nov 2018 and visited Robert Chen's club and did a team tourney at NYISC.

Since I speak Korean, I often visit the Korean club in Flushing... one time we held our gathering at Lilly Yip across the river... one time I went to Han-In Korean club across the river...

If you get friends with Carl, he will get you into SPiN for free, he teaches yoga to the staff.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2019 at 1:09pm
come visit me in brooklyn!

Edited by aerial - 01/27/2019 at 1:09pm
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2019 at 9:58pm
So I ended up at NYTTA on Monday evening. It wasn't crowded so I played almost non-stop. Strangely I didn't play too many people but there was good competition and fun was had by all. Because of the setup, I played 1 guy like 4 matches in a row because nobody was waiting. They were good matches, but looking back I should have tried to play more people to get more variety.
A number of people thought I was rated around 1800 (I'm not, though it's been a while since I played a tournament), so I'm pretty happy even though I didn't feel like I played my best.
I've clearly been playing n the same small club too long as I had a lot of trouble returning some serves. There's only a couple of guys with good serves at my club so that's probably the hardest thing for me to work on.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 02/08/2019 at 9:58pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2019 at 12:46am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

So I ended up at NYTTA on Monday evening. It wasn't crowded so I played almost non-stop. Strangely I didn't play too many people but there was good competition and fun was had by all. Because of the setup, I played 1 guy like 4 matches in a row because nobody was waiting. They were good matches, but looking back I should have tried to play more people to get more variety.
A number of people thought I was rated around 1800 (I'm not, though it's been a while since I played a tournament), so I'm pretty happy even though I didn't feel like I played my best.
I've clearly been playing n the same small club too long as I had a lot of trouble returning some serves. There's only a couple of guys with good serves at my club so that's probably the hardest thing for me to work on.

Who operates the club? Is it Ernesto Ebuen?
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Who operates the club? Is it Ernesto Ebuen?

That's what I read, but he wasn't there that night.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic