Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why petr korbel is legend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nuri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why petr korbel is legend
    Posted: 01/18/2020 at 3:38am
Hi I wonder that why petr korbel is legend .  I looked his autobiography there is no europan championship there is no world cup there is no olympic championship . So I wonder that why some people say petr korbel is legend? thanks a lot  (sorry for my englısh isnt well)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 11:05am
He was one of the top 20 players in the world for most of his career.  He had a very beautiful style to watch.  Most importantly he played a big role in developing modern styles by using his BH to attack short underspin balls that had been previously thought to be impossible to attack.  Now every top player uses this technique, from FZD to Ovtcharov.  But you never saw Waldner or Gatien or Kong Linghui or Wang Liqin do it (although all of them were better players overall).  I dont know if Korbel invented it but he certainly was the person people copied.  

Also the Korbel blade was a classic.

Still, I would NOT use the word legend to describe him.  Butvwithout doubt he was a really good  player and if you wanted to copy a style, he would be a good choice.

Edited by Baal - 01/18/2020 at 11:11am
nuri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 3:12pm
thanks a lot for this informative answer. 
by the way do you know which blade he uses korbel sk7 (7 ply) or korbel japan (5 ply) version or korbel europan (5 ply) version?
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 3:19pm
Hi Nuri,

Korbel is credited for having coined the backhand banana flick in his early career, as well as being a top 20 player for the better part of a decade.

He competed in 5 Olympic Games, reaching the semifinal in 1996 but losing out on the bronze medal to Rosskopf very narrowly. 

He uses the Korbel classic, or some variation of it. I trained with him and his team in 2017 before the WTTC and still keep in touch with him every now and then. 
http://mhtabletennis.com
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2020 at 3:32pm
his BTY blade is the most affordable therefore more people know the name but not necessarily the player
Neottec Magic Control -CN : 999 Super 999T / 729 Super FX
Tibhar Triple Carbon -FL: 999 Super 999T / Yasaka ZAP
Donier Defensive -ST: Nexy Karis M+ / 999 Super 999T
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 12:55pm
Peter Korbel and the development of the chiquita flick.

FdT
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2020 at 4:31pm
The blade he was using or supposedly is still using is also legendary (sp?)....I've owned & used quite a few over the yrs. It, especially the older model(s), is amazing 5 plied all wood.
I'm about to let my last one go to a PK An fanatic/enthusiast...
1 blade comes very close would be my OSP Virtuoso - Anatomic...IMHO.
PK & OSP Virtuoso - are both classic/amazing ALL woods. Period.
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2020 at 5:51pm
AS well as the chiquita and his brilliant run at the 1996 Olympics, Korbel has another claim to fame - he was part of the Czech team which inflicted probably the most embarrassing defeat China ever suffered, at the 1991 Worlds. The Czech team beat them in the quarter-final of the Men's Team and China ultimately finished 7th in the Swaythling Cup, unthinkable now.

You can read an interview with and a fascinating thread about Korbel here -https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?10295-Ask-Petr-Korbel-a-question!

and more in Korbel's own words here, including about the chiquita 
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2020 at 6:16pm
because he played during the legendary time in European table tennis with Waldner, Primorac, Persson, Saive, Rosskopf and others Smile
Drop here!

Edited by Simas - 01/30/2020 at 6:16pm
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2020 at 9:33pm
Simas makes a good point.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2020 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

he was part of the Czech team which inflicted probably the most embarrassing defeat China ever suffered, at the 1991 Worlds. The Czech team beat them in the quarter-final of the Men's Team and China ultimately finished 7th in the Swaythling Cup, unthinkable now.

Someone was kind enough to upload this team match on YouTube.

That was a very interesting year.  First, China decided to do a complete reset and not use at all Jiang Jialiang, Teng Yi, or Chen Longcan for the Teams.  Second, they were using the Corbillon format 2 singles, one doubles, 2 singles instead of the usual best 5 of 9.

Korbel was certainly the hero beating Ma Wenge in the second tie and winning his doubles match with Thomas Janci against Wenge and Zhang Lei.

Edited by BeaverMD - 02/02/2020 at 12:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic