Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will you call fault
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will you call fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pliuya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pliuya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will you call fault
    Posted: 06/13/2022 at 4:55pm
I play in a local club. There are many players (including my friend) who don't toss high or hide ball behind body. I am really struggling particularly in critical points. However, I never call fault in their serves. Should I do it? I wonder if most of us are too nice to do so.

DHS W968 (90g)
Bakcup: Viscaria (87g)
FH: Hurricane Neo Blue
BH: MXP
Sponsored Links

Static View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2022 at 7:09pm
I never really do either, it just prevents a lot of anger and keeps the flow of the game going. Unless someone is obnoxiously unsportsmanlike, then I will call it. Luckily I don't come across those kind of players often. However I think you actually should call them out though, everyone should. It's just easier not to. 
Thibar Dynamic J7, FH: Victas VO>102 BH: Donic Bluefire M3
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2022 at 11:08pm
If I see someone that is really illegal before I play them, I will tell them what they're doing wrong, then forget about it.  If my opponent does it I will point out what they need to do to make it legal.  I've never called a fault during a match.  I lost a match Saturday due to illegal serves.  I told him at the start what he was doing wrong, but didn't follow up.  No one has ever complained or argued when I told them.
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 1:55am
It depends.  If it is an official tournament or league match, I will complain nonstop and probably get a referee.  If it is just some practice game, I might mention it to them once and then let it go after that. 
skv_lviv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skv_lviv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 2:20am
If I know that I win regardless illegal serves, I won't call a fault.
If I know that I lose regardless illegal serves, I won't call a fault.
If I make 1-2 mistakes on illegal serves, I give a warning and just catch a ball when that person performs illegal server next time
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 8:34am
Hi,

An interesting subject.  One view is that if you do not enforce the serving rules, you are suspending the rules.  Organized, competitive sport only works effectively if the rules of the given sport are enacted reasonably.  

As an example in table tennis, you could serve three times instead of two times, per set, arbitrarily.  That would be against the current rules, but you could suspend the two serve rule.  People do not do this out of respect for the rules generally accepted.

Serving rules have evolved motivated by the desire to reduce the degree of deception in the game, thus elevating other aspects of the sport, such as skill and athleticism.   The "two color rule" for rubber was enacted for that purpose as well.  These decisions have been universally accepted and enforced in organized play.

To suspend the serving rules is to promote illegality in one aspect of the sport.  If other illegalities were attempted to be suspended, such as touching the top of the table with the player's free hand as a fault, or moving the table during play as a fault, or calling "good" on a shot that clearly hits the side of the table, not the top of the table, a likely uproar would ensue.  That is because these cited examples are illegal by definition.  Those so attempting to suspend such rules would be considered cheaters.  All these cited examples require the judgment of someone for them to be enforced, just as the serve rules require the judgment of someone to be enforced.

There simply is no strong logical argument to suspend the rules of serving, other than one in the social dimension.  Such serving rules enforcement cause irritation, which has social consequences.  

The notion that serving rules should be immune from enforcement places serving rules in a unique position in comparison with all the other rules of the sport.  No other sport with serving, such as tennis and badminton, suspends the rules of serving; the rules are enforced.

The rules of table tennis serving do not hold a special regulatory place that justifies special treatment, specifically that the rules that govern them are justifiably suspended.  The perspective that the serving rules are a special case, an argument made by the illegal servers, is preposterous.

Thanks.
"I only said I was the greatest, not the smartest." Muhammad Ali
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 9:50am
if it bugs you and it is not a match that counts for anything just refuse to receive and ask them to serve over legally.  If they keep serving illegally or argue about it - game over.

Edited by tom - 06/14/2022 at 9:51am
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 5:00pm
I think it is funny that the serving rules were changed to make things more fair however in my opinion the rules make things even more unfair.  Players have to decide how much they are going to cheat.  If you are trying to play by the rules, you are at a massive disadvantage against someone who is doing as much as they can get away with. 

Also higher rated players or more famous players can serve illegally and get away with it more.  "Oh, you aren't good enough to tell what I am doing." "Gee, I don't need to make things obvious to you but the ball was never blocked." Or my favorite "The refs will never dare fault me! I am famous!"

Edited by Lightspin - 06/14/2022 at 5:01pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2022 at 10:23am
When I see illegal serves, I fight fire with fire and respond with leaving my left hand up during my serve to absolutely hide it, let's see who can do it more illegally LOL 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Dignics 05
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2022 at 4:33pm
SATAN LOVES YOU ALL.

Our God the Omnipresent gave us 10 written Rules, referred to as God's Testaments. Those who dont obey by the Rules shall be thrown to Hell and burned off in Hyenna. So is table tennis, apart from all the other sports,
Undisputable fact is,
--disobeyance by rules of the game is much similar to the theomachism --> the veriest human guilt to Satan's particular satisfaction.    

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theomachist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic