Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wiping Out on Side Barriers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiping Out on Side Barriers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiping Out on Side Barriers
    Posted: 06/13/2022 at 8:45am
I keep having these bad wipeouts where I get a high ball to my short backhand corner.  I run around by the net to hit a forehand and my back foot hits the side barrier which slides out from under me like glass and I end up doing the splits.

Does this happen to anyone else? How far should that barrier between tables be? Does that barrier even really do anything besides a nominal territory marker? Who isn't going to chase a ball into the next court anyway?
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2022 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I keep having these bad wipeouts where I get a high ball to my short backhand corner.  I run around by the net to hit a forehand and my back foot hits the side barrier which slides out from under me like glass and I end up doing the splits.

Does this happen to anyone else? How far should that barrier between tables be? Does that barrier even really do anything besides a nominal territory marker? Who isn't going to chase a ball into the next court anyway?

I think the court you run into should get a let, but not the runner. If I make a great angle shot that forces you to run over barriers, tables, snack bars, etc. you shouldn't get a let.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2022 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I think the court you run into should get a let, but not the runner. If I make a great angle shot that forces you to run over barriers, tables, snack bars, etc. you shouldn't get a let.
Mts388 is correct. If you run into a barrier attempting a shot you don't get to call a let. It's no different if you were moving to reach a ball for your next shot and trip and fall down. 
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 12:00am
I never said anything about a let. I'm just asking if anyone else has the problem and how much space should be there for safety. Don't get thrown by the other thread 

And questioning if the barriers even serve a purpose.

Edited by cole_ely - 06/14/2022 at 12:01am

Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 12:07am

I never said anything about a let. I'm just asking if anyone else has the problem and how much space should be there for safety. Don't get thrown by the other thread 

According to Usatt tournament guide the minimum court size is supposed to be 15x30. That would be 5 feet on each side of the table which would be 10 feet between tables without barriers. In theory the barriers purpose is to prevent balls going into other courts which works most of the time. 
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

According to Usatt tournament guide the minimum court size is supposed to be 15x30. That would be 5 feet on each side of the table which would be 10 feet between tables without barriers. In theory the barriers purpose is to prevent balls going into other courts which works most of the time. 

I'm not sure how much one little strip helps. I guess maybe it's just me

Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 12:30am
skip to 5:40

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 7:58am
well that's different but interesting.  Not the same thing.

Lots more space in that court. No physical way to do what I seem to do. I'm right up by the net and I step back onto the foot of the barrier. There's usually only one and the floors are hard so the barrier just skates away under your foot

Edited by cole_ely - 06/14/2022 at 7:59am

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 9:38am
In our club we don't have barriers between tables, just surrounding the entire playing area.

It seems there is very little room side to side (a common problem) and the barriers there are more of an impediment than a help.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 10:46am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

In our club we don't have barriers between tables, just surrounding the entire playing area.

It seems there is very little room side to side (a common problem) and the barriers there are more of an impediment than a help.

BING0

when I do this I'm hitting a ball that's over the table, not out running something down.  You should have room to execute this shot without worrying about stepping on the foot of one meaningless barrier separating the middle of the tables.

I'm also not a fan of people leaving the clipboard out there in that area.  Every match I tuck it under the table.

Edited by cole_ely - 06/14/2022 at 10:50am

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 12:31pm
5 ft is the minimum for preventing that kind of problem.  

What I have seen at some clubs is the use of split barriers between tables.  A barrier is placed centered with the net and a barrier is placed at each far end of the court.  This leaves an open space between tables in the "playing area" that players can cross into if needed.  Balls hitting net and rolling are stopped by the net centered barrier.  The end barriers catch the majority of any other balls unless there are some unusually wide angle shots.

Not a perfect solution, but better than getting someone hurt tripping on a barrier.  I got a bad foot injury from stepping on the plastic footing support of a barrier.   Took almost 6 months before I was back to normal. 

Mark
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2022 at 4:21pm

well that's different but interesting.  Not the same thing.

Lots more space in that court. No physical way to do what I seem to do. I'm right up by the net and I step back onto the foot of the barrier. There's usually only one and the floors are hard so the barrier just skates away under your foot

Happened to me a few times at my club. Cause was concrete hard floor plus missing rubber shoes for the barriers. The solution was to lay down Gerflor. No more problems since then.
Tibhar Drinkhall Defensive Classic. FH:Stiga Mantra M max,
BH:Gewo Proton Neo 2mm

Vodak 4APC - FH:YoungShine DianTing, BH: Butterfly Dignics 09c

Delusion is an asset
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 7:50am

Oh yes. I have stepped many times on those, few times almost fell down and the last time I sprained my ankle so bad that I seriously suspect that this is the reason for the 3 broken ligaments in my ankle.
Samsonov Force Pro(x2)
FH: D05/H3N Prov
BH: V>11/VJ<07 Stiff
NovaCell Off/S
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dignics 05
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 8:14am
The video is from Broward TTC where I play.  All the courts having full barriers makes a huge difference in a big club like that.  I've played many tournaments in Lakeland where they have three rows of six tables with no side barriers.  It's not unusual to have four lets before one serve.  Try that serving at 10 - 9 and see how your concentration is.  

I also got an injury stepping on the foot of a barrier and sliding.  Not here but another club where I was goofing around with a kid playing lob vs smash. So maybe work on your bh smash vs high balls and don't run so far around to play fh.  It's really not worth getting hurt for. 
Marc_W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 5:49pm
Is this bad ?

Edited by Marc_W - 06/15/2022 at 6:05pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2022 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

5 ft is the minimum for preventing that kind of problem.  

What I have seen at some clubs is the use of split barriers between tables.  A barrier is placed centered with the net and a barrier is placed at each far end of the court.  This leaves an open space between tables in the "playing area" that players can cross into if needed.  Balls hitting net and rolling are stopped by the net centered barrier.  The end barriers catch the majority of any other balls unless there are some unusually wide angle shots.

Not a perfect solution, but better than getting someone hurt tripping on a barrier.  I got a bad foot injury from stepping on the plastic footing support of a barrier.   Took almost 6 months before I was back to normal. 

Mark

The 5 feet shouldn't include the width of the foot that sticks out 6 inches into the court. I never trip over the barrier.  I just step on the freaking foot.

I've become a powerpong rep and am getting an omega..  maybe as suggested I can make it throw up that ball and practice taking  it without running around 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic