Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Would this theory work in TT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

So timing in the stroke is important because the maximum racket/paddle speed is achieved at a specific place and time. If you are a little late the racket/paddle speed has already started to slow down, if you are too early the racket paddle has not yet reached it's max speed. So my take is that if you actually have to stop and wait, with your entire body, you have done your take back too early. The reason why I qualified my statement with regard to stopping the entire body is that in reality parts of your body are moving at different rates, the motion has so called lag and is cyclic. That's what I was trying to point out in my first post in this thread. All of those videos show this action and I don't see any pauses or stops in those strokes. What I see is a slowdown for timing adjustment but no stopping.

exactly as I see it.

if you watch carefully all of the videos, every single player has a very small even for a split of a second "stop" or pause to their backswing. No pause = no correct  timing, it helps the brain to synchronize better with the incoming ball
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 12:16pm
I agree but can't we say that if the footwork speed is optimal then the pause is unnecessary? 

The pause would be required only the footwork is too fast; v-griper's analogy with the red car approaching the red light is so appropriate.

It seems contradictory to talk about too fast footwork but in this case I can't help thinking a pause means the correction of something that was too fast beforehand, meaning a waste of energy of some sort; approaching a red light too fast means breaking when the light does not turn green fast enough (the ball did not come back yet...) when we get there --> waste of energy to get there; waste of energy to stop the momentum and wait...

If we accept the idea that everything is connected in the game then there is the right speed for the footwork with a back swing feeding the swing as the legs start the stroke again.

Ideally the speed of the paddle does not even slow down between the back swing and the swing and only reaches its optimum (maximum acceleration is not always what we want) acceleration right before contact.

I am firmly convinced that in any sport from beginner to highest level, at any age and fitness level, we achieve best results doing any given stroke by investing the minimum energy, allowing us to reach full potential when we go for it and add some.

Bounce with the ball; dance; get into the rhythm; play the opponent, not the ball...are expressions I enjoy to illustrate that idea of using the minimum resources to unload any stroke with a precise idea in mind.

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I agree but can't we say that if the footwork speed is optimal then the pause is unnecessary? 

The pause would be required only the footwork is too fast; v-griper's analogy with the red car approaching the red light is so appropriate.

It seems contradictory to talk about too fast footwork but in this case I can't help thinking a pause means the correction of something that was too fast beforehand, meaning a waste of energy of some sort; approaching a red light too fast means breaking when the light does not turn green fast enough (the ball did not come back yet...) when we get there --> waste of energy to get there; waste of energy to stop the momentum and wait...

If we accept the idea that everything is connected in the game then there is the right speed for the footwork with a back swing feeding the swing as the legs start the stroke again.

Ideally the speed of the paddle does not even slow down between the back swing and the swing and only reaches its optimum (maximum acceleration is not always what we want) acceleration right before contact.

I am firmly convinced that in any sport from beginner to highest level, at any age and fitness level, we achieve best results doing any given stroke by investing the minimum energy, allowing us to reach full potential when we go for it and add some.

Bounce with the ball; dance; get into the rhythm; play the opponent, not the ball...are expressions I enjoy to illustrate that idea of using the minimum resources to unload any stroke with a precise idea in mind.

I dont know my friend, I haven reached that quality of footwork yet to have an established opinion. And I never will it takes years and years of multiball practice and tournaments to achieve perfect anticipation and timing

But watching xu xin who has the most fluent footwork I still see him make a small stop/backswing. He seems to be floating around the ground but if u watch carefully he pauses a bit

Iam a big fan of minum effort-maximum result theory (ur 2nd bold sentence). Bruce Lee was a true master of body physiology Big smile

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/07/2013 at 12:32pm
my TT blog!

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

if you watch carefully all of the videos, every single player has a very small even for a split of a second "stop" or pause to their backswing. No pause = no correct  timing,
That is a big assertion.

it helps the brain to synchronize better with the incoming ball
People are very good at adapting almost instantly. Otherwise they would be quickly replaced by machines.
This is irrelevant to the OP's question about the question'does the pause generates more power'.

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The problem is that you aren't a good enough table tennis player.
Good enough for what?   I don't even play badminton.  So What?!!!
You can ask Stephen Hawking if the pause generates more power and what do you think he would say?
The real problem is that you are a nub of life wannabe engineer otherwise you would agree that the pause doesn't generate more power. Do you even know what power is?  Most on this forum don't.  They equate power to speed.

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

I, too, was a little hurt by some remarks that essentially are saying that we here are very limited in our understanding of basic physics....
I think it is sad.  Almost all of the forum is woefully ignorant in the field of physics or math.  That is a fact. That is OK because most of you don't use it every day or probably ever whereas I do.  What I object to are those like NextLevel and zeio that make claims they can't back up and then want throw insults around.  Their technique is to try to discredit the messenger when they can't discredit the message.

Originally posted by josepher josepher wrote:

I continue to answer the question, "Would this theory work in TT?", in the affirmative. Further, it generalizes to physical actions in any sport.
Yes, having time to make a shot helps but the pause does not generate more power as asked in the original post.

If you think the pause generates more power then how much more power would be generated for a 1ms, 10ms, 100ms or even a 1000ms delay?  If you can't find a relationship then there is none.  I have asked this question a few times now.  There has been no reply.

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:08pm
no its not a big assertion (and I replied to your question about the pause, it is answered). Just watch the videos carefully. I did and I wont spent any more time arguing about facts that are quite obvious, u seem more like u post to argue than to contribute your opinion.

No hard feelings though, everyone has his own personal reasons that make him post in here. Some have clearly psychological factors distrubing their mind.Anyway cheersSleepy

P.S. TO JACEKGM : Μy remarks had no intention to insult or downgrade anyone, I read carefully all of the posts and the only one that was scientifically accurate 100% was APW46's Ι think. No intention to be ironic or arrogant towards other users

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/07/2013 at 2:24pm
my TT blog!

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:24pm

But watching xu xin who has the most fluent footwork I still see him make a small stop/backswing. He seems to be floating around the ground but if u watch carefully he pauses a bit

The only way there would be an actual stop is if the motion were perfectly linear i.e. straight back then straight forward. What I contend is happening at the transition between the back swing and the forward part of the stroke is a small circular or curved path that the blade travels along. I agree that there is a big slowdown relative to the speed of the take back and the forward stroke and that can make it seem as if the hand stops but I am reasonably sure that it is not. It's more of an illusion brought about by the relative speed difference. Even though the paddle and arm are relatively light, completely stopping and start a stroke would take some serious amounts of power relatively speaking. 

In addition if different parts of the body are moving at different rates during the transition how would you define what stops?

The place where things always slow down are at the transitions because their is a big change in direction. There are two main transitions, the end of the take back and the end of the follow through. 

More examples- Every transition has a point where it slows down allot but complete stop even for a micro second isn't happening imo. We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

This is a good example. look at the first couple of counter hits. Notice the oval path that the CH stroke travels along then sharpens up as the paddle approaches the transitions. That curved path is used to conserve momentum.

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:33pm
v griper : obviously when I say something pauses or stops it is related to my movement not the other parts of the body of Xu xi or wlq or or...

If I am moving and I watch a mountain then I could say the mountain is moving If I consider my velocity = 0.

Exact same thing here, I am holding still on the ground I consider my velocity =0 in relation to the speed of the ground (earths circular/rotational speed) and Xu Xin's speed related to the speed of the ground is lets say "10" and is also "10" in comparison to my speed which I considered to be zero.

So when I see Xu Xin move in comparison to my movement that is 0, it is clearly to me that he stops and backswings. Seriously, no mean to offend but it is more than clear that XX stops for a split of a second (cant measure how long exactly...), there is not even a valid arguement for me.

You are totally correct about the curved path of ML but again, exacty at the middle of the "eclipsed type"  of curve ML pauses his hand when he backswings. 

Besides if he doesnt pause tensing his forearm and shoulder muscles, the hand will drop down by gravity. Simple physics, the total energy of a system is always maintained to zero.

The system is mlongs muscles (or himself as a whole :P), the air, gravity and the thermal energy produced by friction and movement correct me if I forgot something, in my equation :)Big smile

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/07/2013 at 2:38pm
my TT blog!

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:45pm
and to be even more clarifying : u said that there is no stopping even for a split of a second.

U have two movements (back swing and forward swing) explain to me in physics how exactly

an object (hand or paddle or ball or all of them, its your choice) can travel this way <- then this way -> without stopping by external forces (ma longs muscles that tense when he backswings for example, or any other player) and then accelerate again in different directions. Pure momentum is simply not enough!

or without stopping because of collision (the famous "dwell time" between ball and paddle for example)

The only way this could happen is when we have, no air resistance no friction and no gravity., thus no internal energy loss in the system that "goes out" of the system in the form of thermal energy

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/07/2013 at 2:49pm
my TT blog!

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 3:11pm

U have two movements (back swing and forward swing) explain to me in physics how exactly
an object (hand or paddle or ball or all of them, its your choice) can travel this way <- then this way -> without stopping by external forces 
I am appalled at the question...a planet flying around its orbit in an elliptical way will not lose speed where the ellipse is flattest. 

In the graphic below let's forget about the lines and just focus on the point on the ellipse where they meet; obviously that point is travelling at the same speed all around the ellipse; it does not suffer a slow down in speed there due to some Gs making it suffocating and push on the brake pedal...now if that is the paddle you get the point.

I want to precise that I do not mean there is no pause in the stroke; I just want to ask: is the stroke optimum when that pause is minimum? is the best footwork the type that allows minimizing that pause? 
File:Ellipse Animation.gif
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 3:23pm
fatt absolutely correct in terms of scientific approach but the paddle ball air drag friction and ma longs muscles create a system which is similar to the ellipse (i wrote eclipse before didnt I? lol my bad), the whole system does not in anyway follows the laws of ellipse in the way you described it !

Am not a professional player to answer your question with 100% validity but yes, I suppose perfect footwork does not minimize the pause, but that you will always have optimum time to react to hit the ball no matter how fast it travels to you.

As for the other question about optimum stroke, yes if you rely on relaxed minimum effort strokes

The whole stopping backswing hitting forwardswing after contact is optimum in terms of maximum speed, thus returning the ball as fast as possible to pressure your opponent. Hope I helped :D

p.s. nice tricky remark there about the elliptical movement of the planets, I was focusing only on the paddle muscle and ball "System" I am not so expertised to know the laws of the planetary system, just know very well the basic laws of mechanics and physics :P, thank you for your approach

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/07/2013 at 3:25pm
my TT blog!

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 7:45pm
OK maybe my base physics is wrong but to my understanding we are talking about motion on an elliptical path. The reason that I am saying that there is no stopping is because of what I said in the previous post about the stroke not being in a absolutely straight line forward and back. The stroke and every part of it will always travel on some type of modified oval or elliptical pathway. 

I am saying that no matter how eccentric the ellipse there is always a curved path that exists at the two ends. And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 

Edited by V-Griper - 11/07/2013 at 7:47pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 8:12pm

And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 
...and it should not be. 

we could say the fh smash of a high ball presents a motion the closest to a circle (parallel to the length of the table) and the best example to illustrate the additional speed we get with no pause after the back swing.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2013 at 11:45pm

Ok let's take a slow look at an actual badminton smash in action. Let's look at Lin Dan. He is from some unknown country in central Asia and just an average playerLOL
Yeah, forget about this no name guy! Lin Dan LOL...I give you Andy Roddick serve

Actually, Lin Dan - smashes so hard - imagine if he paused. As the coach said it's for additional power.
In the Roddick video - there is quite a slow down of the racquet before the massive acceleration.

In my mind it's this acceleration people are trying to generate by slowing down the racquet on the back swing - whether or not they come to a complete stop - I am convince it's important to slow the racquet on the back swing now.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
josepher View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:34am
Time to address some comments. Can't manage the forum quote protocol so I'll do it another way. Earlier I said,

"If one attempts to reverse a backswing too fast (continuously, without any sense that it has come to a stop - however short) the energy on the way forward will be lessened because too much energy will be expended in the reversal."

tt4me responded,

What?  You are talking as if one stroke is going to max our our energy.  Where is your proof?

I also had said, 

"An example: You're at a carnival trying to ring the bell. Imagine swinging that very heavy sledgehammer over your head and bringing it down without the slightest delay. That's all it takes to sense the extra energy required."

To this tt4me said,

Again you assume we are energy limited.

My response: You're right to notice this. We are dealing with a finite amount of energy in the system. Say a baseball pitcher can throw his fastball 95 mph. He'll throw it at that speed every time (close enough). The reason is that that is all his body (system) is capable of producing. This is his maximum power pitch and he will hit 95 every time. That is, every time he is able to extract this maximum power from his windup and delivery.

For that to happen, the ball has to be quiet in the transition. To the extent the transition is rushed, energy is wasted in starting the reversal too soon. This would result in less than full power and control. Power necessarily follows control.

By the same token, a table tennis player possesses a finite amount of energy that can be used for the full power shot. You can't extract more than the maximum, but you can get a lot less when you lose that sense of quietness at transition. Without that quietness, you will not be able to start back with all at your disposal...you won't even be starting it; it will be starting without you (rebounding). 

In another post I said,

"I continue to answer the question, "Would this theory work in TT?", in the affirmative. Further, it generalizes to physical actions in any sport."

To which tt4me responded,

Yes, having time to make a shot helps but the pause does not generate more power as asked in the original post.

If you think the pause generates more power then how much more power would be generated for a 1ms, 10ms, 100ms or even a 1000ms delay?  If you can't find a relationship then there is none.  I have asked this question a few times now.  There has been no reply.

My reply: A pause (quietness) of optimal length enables the player to extract the maximum power from the stroke. That optimal time is sensed by the player and of course occurs near the end of the coiling. I say near the end because the hand/racket unit is quiet even before the coiling is fully complete.

There doesn't have to be a positive relationship between longer pause and more power to prove the point. We don't expect a sprinter to remain in the "get set" position any longer than he senses the need (assuming there's no gun and the sprinter can start when he wants) 

There is, however, a relationship between the pause becoming increasingly shorter than optimum and a loss of power. Just blur your arm back and forth and see how good that feels. It won't come forward any faster than it went back.

And, finally, a lot of posts are getting involved with circular and elliptical motions. This is really off the track. There is no directional bias in these motions. A speed can be constant in relation to its circular or elliptical path, but varying in relation to a fixed point on the horizontal. There is still a moment in the elliptical motion when it stops going backward and begins to go forward. Naturally, this means at a certain point the velocity is zero in both directions.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:14am
Originally posted by josepher josepher wrote:

My reply: A pause (quietness) of optimal length enables the player to extract the maximum power from the stroke. That optimal time is sensed by the player and of course occurs near the end of the coiling. I say near the end because the hand/racket unit is quiet even before the coiling is fully complete.
I believe this point is illustrated perfectly in the Roddick serve motion video at about 22sec (stick figure version)
Butterfly MPS
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:24am
This is hopeless.  It would be best if this thread was deleted so it doesn't spread more myths.

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 9:10am

OK maybe my base physics is wrong but to my understanding we are talking about motion on an elliptical path. The reason that I am saying that there is no stopping is because of what I said in the previous post about the stroke not being in a absolutely straight line forward and back. The stroke and every part of it will always travel on some type of modified oval or elliptical pathway. 

I am saying that no matter how eccentric the ellipse there is always a curved path that exists at the two ends. And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 

Thats absolutely correct, I didnt clarify that of course all of the strokes are not happening in a perfectly straight line, I thought this was taken for granted sorry for the misunderstanding my friend :)
my TT blog!

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

This is hopeless.  It would be best if this thread was deleted so it doesn't spread more myths.

Dude, both me and josepher replied to your questions saying the exact same things with different words (no pause doesnt ADD power, the backswing DOES because the muscles tense in the backswing pause and then contract to RELEASE the stored energy to the ball! simple as that!), we are just having a conversation expressing our opinions, why should the thread be deleted?

I have no problem to reconsider my thoughts, even though I am  sure that I am quite accurate (not 100% but I believe I got the case solved in its substance), I dont see any myths around, just opinions either true or false based on personal experience.

If you believe that what we are saying is false, you can express yourself using the laws of physics to convince us. That is what everybody here is doing I think, its pointless to argue just for the arguement or to prove something :)
my TT blog!

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 10:29am
in roddick's serve above when the racket is pointing toward the sky at 45s, that's when the back swing starts; then the head goes down and points at the ground and that is the end of the back swing; then the head goes back up, hits the ball and that is the swing. there is no pause at all.

the video misleads to what would be a pause and the end of the back swing at 45s; but the end of the back swing is not at 45s; the end of the back swing is at 50s when the head of the racket is pointing to the ground and for sure there is no pause between 45s, when the back swing really starts, and contact with the ball , when the swing ends. anything that leads to the 45s mark is to get ready for the back swing/swing combo; then the back swing starts.

replace 45 by 1m30s (or 2m01s, when the head is pointing upward is the start of the back swing) and 50s by 1m36s (or 2m03s, the start of the swing) for another view. I do not see any pause.

do i make some sense or do i just appear as a cantankerous person who wants to be right no matter what?

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 11:19am

(no pause doesnt ADD power, the backswing DOES because the muscles tense in the backswing pause and then contract to RELEASE the stored energy to the ball! simple as that!)

Actually that's not the argument that I think you guys were putting forth. I for one never argued that a back swing is not necessary to generate power nor would I. 

My issue was with the transition between the back swing and the forward part of the swing and your claim that the motion stops during that transition. I don't think I expressed or implied that not stopping added power. 

My argument was that by not stopping you conserve some of the angular momentum and energy you used to pull the paddle back in the first place. That's what I was getting at with the red car, blue car analogy. By not stopping you reduce the amount of power necessary to achieve max swing speed and/or increase the max swing speed that is possible in the time and distance you have to work with. I think you are only thinking of the part of the swing that is moving forward into the ball and not considering that you could borrow some of the energy you exerted during the back swing so you don't have to start from a dead stop.

In 2D orbital mechanics this would be  an eccentric orbit. note the acceleration as the radius decreases. That's the conservation of angular momentum.

Now let's look at a tennis FH from some no name average player. Note the acceleration at the point of transition, a kind of whip crack. To my understanding that's is conserving some of the momentum from the back swing. 

I hope this is a little more obvious. It is obviously a more complicated motion in 3D but the principle holds imo. Also the importance of conservation is greater because the mass of racket and the amount of torque necessary are relatively large. That's why you see loopy strokes that conserve momentum.

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 11:24am
BTW thanks fatt. I would have never known you could insert GIFs. So Cool.Tongue
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:20pm
V griper I was replying to TT4me who claims that, the backswing pause does not add power. Actually I agree with you about the borrowed energy, when the stroke motions is elliptical or circular but still there is a minical pause that helps the brain to adjust with the timing.

Of course in high level professional play with really fast balls, maybe  players can achieve a continuous motion inbetween two contacts, but I cant validate this fact for sure cause Iam not a professional player :)
my TT blog!

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Butterfly MPS
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:38pm
The back swing is not necessary to generate power either.  I could jump up and down and generate power and that has nothing to do with a back swing or hitting a ball.

As I said before, you guys don't know the definition of power.  Power is the conversion of energy from one form to another.  I can jump up and down and for the most part the only result will be heat.
There is a lot of difference between power generated and power delivered.  The ratio of power delivered/power generated is called efficiency.  This is similar to the power at the engine and the power that is measured by a dynamometer at the wheel.

One does not extract energy or power from strokes or pauses.  You burn calories to generate power.

If you want to hit a ball or shuttle faster you simply need to swing faster so the impact speed is faster.
It can be done with a high acceleration over a short time or a lower acceleration over a longer time, it makes no difference.   The only thing that matters is the speed at impact.
About that conservation of angular momentum.  The paddle is not in orbit or rotating around something.
The paddle will not rotate around a elbow joint or should joint. The animations.
I am not interested in anybody's opinions, only facts and so far this thread has been thin on facts and very thick on made up bad information.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:38pm

in roddick's serve above when the racket is pointing toward the sky at 45s, that's when the back swing starts; then the head goes down and points at the ground and that is the end of the back swing; then the head goes back up, hits the ball and that is the swing. there is no pause at all.

the video misleads to what would be a pause and the end of the back swing at 45s; but the end of the back swing is not at 45s; the end of the back swing is at 50s when the head of the racket is pointing to the ground and for sure there is no pause between 45s, when the back swing really starts, and contact with the ball , when the swing ends. anything that leads to the 45s mark is to get ready for the back swing/swing combo; then the back swing starts.

replace 45 by 1m30s (or 2m01s, when the head is pointing upward is the start of the back swing) and 50s by 1m36s (or 2m03s, the start of the swing) for another view. I do not see any pause.

do i make some sense or do i just appear as a cantankerous person who wants to be right no matter what?

fatt,
I disagree in the segment you are talking about service motion and backswing starts at 35s. In my opinion I see a pause in the racquet motion aroun 47s or 48s - you can argue there is movement but it's very small - I would say velocity would be very very low - basically all the energy is in the body - not in the racquet at this point. Then the racquet is accelerated to the point of contact.

Butterfly MPS
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:42pm

BTW thanks fatt. I would have never known you could insert GIFs. So Cool.Tongue

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

fatt,
I disagree in the segment you are talking about service motion and backswing starts at 35s. In my opinion I see a pause in the racquet motion aroun 47s or 48s - you can argue there is movement but it's very small - I would say velocity would be very very low - basically all the energy is in the body - not in the racquet at this point. Then the racquet is accelerated to the point of contact.

what I meant is your pause around 47 or 48 is actually the start of the back swing, when the head of the racket is pointing to the sky; then the back swing goes down until the head is pointing to the ground; then the swing starts; I see no pause.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:52pm

fatt,

what I meant is your pause around 47 or 48 is actually the start of the back swing, when the head of the racket is pointing to the sky; then the back swing goes down until the head is pointing to the ground; then the swing starts; I see no pause.
So what we have here is a difference opinion as to when and where the swing starts. If you define the swing on your terms - there is no pause - if you define it on my terms - then there is a pause. I guess it's all about perspective.

Edited by jrscatman - 11/08/2013 at 12:54pm
Butterfly MPS
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:07pm

fatt,

So what we have here is a difference opinion as to when and where the swing starts. If you define the swing on your terms - there is no pause - if you define it on my terms - then there is a pause. I guess it's all about perspective.
there we go; the debate is now about where the back swing starts Big smile.
I see it starting at your 47-48s mark because from there we have the head of the racket going down in one direction, gaining momentum, before changing direction and coming back up and hit the ball. Everything before your 47-48s mark is the preparation of the stroke, the "getting-ready-to-unload" part of the stroke; in a tt fh it would be the part when we get in position before starting to put our weight on the right foot, time at which the back swing starts.
Your thinking way to put the start of the back swing before the 47-48s mark is equivalent in a tt fh to considering the back swing starting at the end of the footwork, before we start putting our weight on the right foot and so, ok, there is possibly a pause.
It really is a matter of feeling comfortable with our vision of the stroke; I believe the way you are thinking leads to the same efficiency and what we do now is just gently rhetorical.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:26pm

fatt,

there we go; the debate is now about where the back swing starts Big smile.
I see it starting at your 47-48s mark because from there we have the head of the racket going down in one direction, gaining momentum, before changing direction and coming back up and hit the ball. Everything before your 47-48s mark is the preparation of the stroke, the "getting-ready-to-unload" part of the stroke; in a tt fh it would be the part when we get in position before starting to put our weight on the right foot, time at which the back swing starts.
Your thinking way to put the start of the back swing before the 47-48s mark is equivalent in a tt fh to considering the back swing starting at the end of the footwork, before we start putting our weight on the right foot and so, ok, there is possibly a pause.
It really is a matter of feeling comfortable with our vision of the stroke; I believe the way you are thinking leads to the same efficiency and what we do now is just gently rhetorical.
See the problem I have with starting the swing at 47s - if you look at the hand (not the racquet head) notice it is moving forward. So where is the backswing - if that is the beginning of the swing? So in my opinion you are only examining half the swing. That would explain our differing view points about the pause.
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic