Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTT Star Contender Goa 2023, 2/27-3/5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTT Star Contender Goa 2023, 2/27-3/5
    Posted: 01/18/2023 at 5:13am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2023 at 12:32am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 9:19am
https://worldtabletennis.com/description?artId=2174
Quote Check out the complete list of latest entries rounding out the player list for Goa:

Men's Singles
Dang Qiu - Wildcard
Jang Woojin - Wildcard
Wang Chuqin - WTT Nomination
Patrick Franziska - WTT Nomination

Women's Singles
Adriana Diaz - Wildcard
Fu Yu - Wildcard
Wang Manyu - WTT Nomination
Xiaoxin Yang - WTT Nomination
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 9:42am
No disrespect to Adriana Diaz or Yu Fu, but their popularity and skills aren't anywhere near Wang Yidi and Mima Ito.  Don't know what the host nation is thinking.
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

No disrespect to Adriana Diaz or Yu Fu, but their popularity and skills aren't anywhere near Wang Yidi and Mima Ito.  Don't know what the host nation is thinking.

Adriana Diaz > Popular "where" ?

As far as Yu Fu. She is from Portugal. So you may consider taking some history lessons

Edited by Ryan W - 02/14/2023 at 3:20pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Ryan W Ryan W wrote:

As far as Yu Fu. She is from Portugal. So you may consider taking some history lessons
I'm suggesting Mima Ito and Wang Yidi are both more popular and more skilled than Adriana Diaz and Yu Fu.  Please share your reasoning why you don't think that's the case.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 3:52pm
I think it’s not just about popularity and skills. This is world table tennis tournament, so you want the players representing as much of the world as possible. 
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 3:54pm

I'm suggesting Mima Ito and Wang Yidi are both more popular and more skilled than Adriana Diaz and Yu Fu.  Please share your reasoning why you don't think that's the case.

First of all I am not totally sure how the wild card invitation selection criteria even works or if there is even one.
I would assume that the host can invite any damn person for wild card. Skill may not even be a criteria for the most part
As far as popularity you are evaluating popularity in terms of skill only.
If that is the case WTT can set rules that players should be invited just in order of world ranking. Obviously it is not the case. 
However it is even possible that many higher ranked players like Mima ito or Wang Yidi were invited but chose not to come. I do not know.

Your thinking is like saying that all female fashion models should be skinny. This was the thinking till even 10 years ago. It is more & more recognized that you do not have to be skinny (or anorexically unhealthy) to be a fashion model.

Or maybe in your mind the definition of popularity in tabletennis is just being two winged looper.  

Adriana Diaz may not be popular in China or Japan but she sure seems popular in USA or India.

As far as Fu Yu , I already explained why.

Edited by Ryan W - 02/14/2023 at 3:57pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 4:05pm

First of all I am not totally sure how the wild card invitation selection criteria even works or if there is even one.
I would assume that the host can invite any damn person for wild card. Skill may not even be a criteria for the most part
If that is the case WTT can set rules that players should be invited just in order of world ranking. Obviously it is not the case. 
However it is even possible that many higher ranked players like Mima ito or Wang Yidi were invited but chose not to come. I do not know.

Your thinking is like saying that all female fashion models should be skinny. This was the thinking till even 10 years ago. It is more & more recognized that you do not have to be skinny (or anorexically unhealthy) to be a fashion model.

Or maybe in your mind the definition of popularity in tabletennis is just being two winged looper.  

Adriana Diaz may not be popular in China or Japan but she sure seems popular in USA or India.

Skill and name recognition/popularity attracts spectators and advertisers.  That's why I mention it.  I did not mentioned anything about playing style.  Is Mima Ito a two winged looper?  Anyway, you're free to believe that Diaz and Yu are more popular than Ito and WYD.  

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 02/14/2023 at 4:06pm
Ryan W View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 4:47pm

Skill and name recognition/popularity attracts spectators and advertisers. 

Where ? In India ?

[/QUOTE]
 I did not mentioned anything about playing style.  Is Mima Ito a two winged looper? 
[/QUOTE]
I was just giving two winged looping as a popularity example.  You are talking about unique exceptions like Mima Ito

[/QUOTE]
 Anyway, you're free to believe that Diaz and Yu are more popular than Ito and WYD. 
[/QUOTE]
Again, it is not what EVERYONE globally believes. It is what or who is popular in what in a given country or even parts of a given country or region. My interpretation of wild card selection is that it allows for such considerations. Do you know otherwise ? I admitted I don't .  Do you know the exact set criteria by WTT for wild card selections ?

For the 3rd time I already explained in my first post about why Fu Yu is a wild card & it seems like a nice gesture from host nation and if you do not understand history you would not understand why.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 12:03am
8/8 and 7/8 qualification draw wildcards for MS and WS left. 2/4 main draw wildcards each for MS and WS left.

WS Qualification Draw
Tin-Tin HO

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Quote Check out the complete list of latest entries rounding out the player list for Goa:

Men's Singles
Dang Qiu - Wildcard
Jang Woojin - Wildcard
Wang Chuqin - WTT Nomination
Patrick Franziska - WTT Nomination

Women's Singles
Adriana Diaz - Wildcard
Fu Yu - Wildcard
Wang Manyu - WTT Nomination
Xiaoxin Yang - WTT Nomination

Edited by zeio - 02/15/2023 at 6:26am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Tempest/Comet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tempest/Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 5:36am

Goa was a Portuguese colony right up till 1961. FU Yu is a great choice to possibly boost attendance.
Diaz also beat Mukherjee before, good for a India vs Puerto Rico ‘revenge’ match hype.

Edited by Tempest/Comet - 02/15/2023 at 6:20am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Tempest/Comet Tempest/Comet wrote:

Goa was a Portuguese colony right up till 1961. FU Yu is a great choice to possibly boost attendance.
Diaz also beat Mukherjee before, good for a India vs Puerto Rico ‘revenge’ match hype.
If that's what the host city is using for their rationale for choosing Yu, then that's fine.  That's their choice.  I'm not sure if that's what host nation's spectators would prefer.  Gotta be honest though.  The US was a former British colony, but if there was a tournament here and the choice was Mima Ito vs. England's top player I suspect the vast majority here would prefer Mima Ito.  Anyway, what's done is done.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2023 at 9:26am
ITTF: Politics!
Dainton: Too much politics!
WTT: Politics!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/liu-guoliang-chairman-of-world-table-tennis.23585/post-317213
Quote Good choice. Dainton is arguably the 1st Asianized ITTF official. I love how he conducts interviews with Chinese media entirely in Putonghua. He even resides in Singapore now. In the extended one he did at the last Women's World Cup, he couldn't stress enough about working together with China in the future.

http://video.zhibo.tv/video/details/7bd2d187-f4a9-11e9-8854-525400ccac43.html
@2:24
After I became the CEO of the ITTF
what's changed?
The change is perhaps in thought
- Thought?
Say, in the past, the younger officials like us felt the ITTF was perhaps too political
Many political stuff

and many...say...
equipment, techniques, the minor stuff
But once I took helm, I felt we had to work on marketization
And so we did
perhaps the 1st time the ITTF did the first strategic plan

@3:46
- More focus on marketization?
You said it's a pleasure to work with the CTTA
From what we gather, the ITTF and the CTTA will have more in-depth collaborations
Could you share with us some of the plans that are in the talks?
Relatively simple
LGL has become the president
not even 1 year
His age is closer to mine
His thought is closer to ours
He has to make the sport of table tennis
its future
much better
including competitions, the world, and many others
Because the thoughts are close
we have a great discussion every time we meet
And there's no politics
He doesn't talk about how the ITTF used to do this
We don't talk about how the CTTA used to do this
We talk about the future
That's a big change
and we have a good time
The Tokyo Olympics is fast approaching
He wants good results for sure
But he also thinks...about table tennis
the future of the table tennis market
That's in line with how we think
Then we thought if we work together
the future of table tennis will be bright
International and China, China is the strongest market
The majority of market comes from China
China, Asia
And the ITTF also has the international market
So if these 2 work together
this will definitely be good for the future of table tennis

@7:23
Grand slam level
You want to build a new, higher, and more professional tournament with the CTTA
We're talking right now...many details to work out
but the main thing is how we will work together for the future of the table tennis market
We're having a great discussion
The executive committee had a meeting today
We talked about how to work with the CTTA
Discussion went very well. The executive committee knows we have to work with China
Unlike before, we're here, and CTTA is here
If we can work together
from playing in competitions to vitalizing the market
That'd definitely be a good thing
As you mentioned, our thoughts are in line
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2023 at 10:50am

Fu yu is a complete table tennis pro player with full honed fundamentals strokes while diaz isa  high level amateur that lives like a pro check the way she performs a slow loop with  no weight transfer.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2023 at 9:14am
Bhanja/Mukherjee 3-1 Kang Dongsoo/Suh Hyowon
Kim Hayeong/Lee Zion 2-3 Ghorpade/Saini
Nutinck/Rassenfosse 3-2 Park Ganghyeon/Kang Dongsoo

Edited by zeio - 02/27/2023 at 10:42pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2023 at 9:20am
https://twitter.com/WTTGlobal/status/1629816757836980230
Quote World Table Tennis@WTTGlobal·Feb 26
🚨 BREAKING 🚨

Ma Long, Wang Chuqin, Sun Yingsha, Chen Meng, Wang Manyu and He Zhuojia have withdrawn from WTT Star Contender Goa due to covid and injuries.

Ma Long, Wang Chuqin, Sun Yingsha and Chen Meng will be replaced (cont’d)

https://twitter.com/WTTGlobal/status/1629816779701907456
Quote World Table Tennis@WTTGlobal·Feb 26
by Liang Jingkun, Lin Gaoyuan, Wang Yidi and Quan Tianyi respectively as their Top 20 PDR replacements.

France’s Jia Nan Yuan will replace Wang Manyu as the WTT Nomination, while Chinese Taipei’s Liu Hsing-Yin moves from Qualifying to the Main Draw.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2023 at 9:25am
There's a good chance we see Kasumi vs. Miwa in R32 of the Main Draw.  Rhetorical question: what are the chances we see 2 defenders meet in the 1st round of the Main Draw: Linda Bergstrom vs. Suh Hyowon?
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 4:00am

Men's Singles
Dang Qiu - Wildcard

I am sure I'm missing something here but surely a system whereby current WR 11, European Champion and NR 2 player of Germany needs a wild card to play in this event needs to be looked at? Each of those three things must be enough to just ensure automatic qualification. 

Also, 16 byes in the first round of the men's main draw? Just give more spots to qualifiers.

Edited by Simon_plays - 02/28/2023 at 4:01am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 4:57am
All because of the PDR. The top players were not supposed to play in these events. Talk about WTT shooting itself in the foot.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91479&PID=1137894&title=wttc-2023-hayata-ito-hirano-kihara-nagasaki#1137894
Quote The rationale for the reduction of Feeder points is a little far-fetched. Why did they even raise them from 100 to 150 in 2022? There were simply not enough Star Contender and Contender events and the PDR rule made things worse.

2023 (tentative)
1 GS
1 CS
3 SCT
8 CT
7 FEE

1 GS
1 CF
2 CS
2 SCT
8 CT
11 FEE

2 SCT
5 CT
1 FEE

https://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92471&PID=1134451&title=wtt-contender-nova-gorica-2022-10-3111-6#1134451
Quote So many players who participated in WTTC Finals 2022 couldn't reach the main draw. They should increase the main draw to R48 or even R64 for Contender(R32 now) and R64 for Star Contender(R48 now), like how it is for Feeder(R32/R48/R64).

1 GS, instead of 4
1 CF, instead of 2(1x Men's/1x Women's)
2 CS, instead of up to 8(4 Men/4 Women)
2 SCT, instead of up to 6(Variable Qaulifying Singles Draw Size)
8 CT, instead of up to 14
11 FEE(no upper limit)
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 6:39am
Kim Nayeong 2-3 Ghorpade
Ho Tin-Tin 3-1 Zhu Chengzhu
Mukherjee 3-1 Lee Eunhye

Edited by zeio - 02/28/2023 at 7:49am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 7:19am
Tin Tin Ho with Liam Pitchford coaching in her corner beats Zhu Chengzhu of Hong Kong 3-1.  
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 8:04am
Xu Yingbin 1-3 Tanaka
G4 94, 1214
Shinopi in the coaching corner: I'll let you borrow some of my power.

Edited by zeio - 02/28/2023 at 8:07am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 8:07am
Yuta Tanaka wins 3-1 over Xu Yingbin.  No letdown after winning the Feeder in Germany.  Very impressive player.  Good serve variation catching XYB off guard.  Excellent backhand.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 9:09am
Majoros 3-2 Oikawa
Oikawa never disappoints.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 11:14am

Majoros 3-2 Oikawa
Oikawa never disappoints.
Looks like he got a lucky loser spot in the Main Draw.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2023 at 11:45am
And Oikawa is set to either repeat XP's feat or follow in Togami's example.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 12:54am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 1:03am
That was hard to watch...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: GT
BH: GT
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2023 at 2:19am
Oikawa/Kizukuri 3-2 Falck/Karlsson
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic