Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shoes for a 50 year old with knee problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoes for a 50 year old with knee problem
    Posted: 01/25/2024 at 6:01am
As title says ...
Shoes for a 50 year old with knee problem 

I'm looking for something better than Asics Rocket that I use ...
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 6:09am
perhaps you can look into wearing basketball shoes that offer a thicker cushioned midsole or air units.  After all, big sneaker companies such as Adidas, Nike, Jordan, Under Armour spent millions of dollars in R&D to innovate the best support for its athletes.  I've been wearing Under Armour Curry One, Jordan 32 Low basketball shoes when playing table tennis.  Not only do the outsoles provide excellent traction, but the cushion is also very comfortable too.  Alleviated a lot of my knee pains too.
kunglao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kunglao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 6:59am
ASICS challenger 12. Can buy them at the outlet by ASICS.   From a fellow late 40 player with knee problems ; this has worked better for me.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 7:09am
What about Mizuno Wave Medal that I've heard that provides good cushioning ?
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2024 at 7:54am
wave drive is better for me than wave medal.  both are better than gel rocket that i used to wear. 
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2024 at 3:00am
This is an easy one for me. Get a pair on New Balance tennis shoes. They come in a wide width if you need it. Also get some Superfeet insoles. New Balance has several different styles for tennis. My buddy that has 2 full knee replacements only wears them, and that’s all I wear too. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2024 at 4:46am
I'm almost 50 and have had a knee problem for the past few years.  I think every player is different and the root cause will vary - I found that Mizunos were too wide and flat for me, made things worse (will be down to the shape of my foot presumably, YMMV).  In the end I got some Asics Sky Elite FF - lots of cushioning and the arch support is great for me.  You sacrifice stability though - less contact area on the floor.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2024 at 5:13am
I visited a Mizuno store 3 days ago and I checked several volley and table tennis shoes. 
Mizuno Wave Drive had limmited cushioning but Wave Medal was really good. 
AriMann View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AriMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2024 at 6:47am
Selecting the right shoes is crucial, especially when dealing with knee problems. Asics Rockets are a good start, but there might be even better options out there for your specific needs. Look for shoes that provide excellent cushioning and support to alleviate the stress on your knees.And speaking of finding the right fit, if you ever need to dress up for a special occasion, like a wedding, you might want to consider checking out this groomsmen's suits collection. They offer a range of stylish and comfortable suits that can help you look and feel your best on that important day.

Edited by AriMann - 02/05/2024 at 5:43am
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2024 at 3:27am
Hi,

My left knee needs a surgery but I'm resisting. Mizuno wave medal helped me a lot. I used rockets, wave drive and some adidas before but in terms of cushioning medal is the best for me. 

Ps: socks for runners offers cushioned  versions. Those are makes a difference too. And I also use cushioned shoes for daily use so my knee can recover  when I'm not training...

Edited by TSuBaSa - 02/02/2024 at 3:28am
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2024 at 6:10am
I also wear running socks [Thorlos].  Playing mostly on bare concrete floor, they help a lot. 
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2024 at 5:54am
My Mizuno wave medal 5 brought me quite severe plantar fasciitis and now, 5 years later I am still fighting with it. I've changed planty of different shoes and finally found peace with Mizuno Wave Stealth V(handball) and two excellent pairs of Li Ning(badminton) Im never ever going back to any tt shoes again
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2024 at 11:19am
I use Nike lite 3  tennis shoe. Made for tennis so nice support and grip but not too heavy.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2024 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

My Mizuno wave medal 5 brought me quite severe plantar fasciitis and now, 5 years later I am still fighting with it. I've changed planty of different shoes and finally found peace with Mizuno Wave Stealth V(handball) and two excellent pairs of Li Ning(badminton) Im never ever going back to any tt shoes again

Mizuno Wave Medal is much lighter than Mizuno Wave Stealth though. 
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2024 at 6:55am
I dont know if it is lighter, but I can measure them. The Stealth feels very lightweight though. What is more important for me is the cushion 
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2024 at 12:51am
I am over 70 and I am using Wave Medal Neo, but I replaced the insole with Neat Feat (which I think is the best for me so far).
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2024 at 7:22am
https://youtube.com/shorts/jNppyQ57yto?si=zFJuC6DRgAj2e5w_

Shoe designs need to change to accommodate the proper structure of the foot.  I suspect this was one of the things influencing my knee issues while doing athletic activities but we will never know...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2024 at 9:03am
What surfaces do you play on?

Are you looking for one shoe for all surfaces or one shoe for a specific surface?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2024 at 8:26am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

What surfaces do you play on?

Are you looking for one shoe for all surfaces or one shoe for a specific surface?

Surfaces are different but shoes should remain the same I suppose. 
km1976 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote km1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2024 at 9:44am
Have you tried with custom insoles? 
I have knee pain and ankle pain but they subsided once I put custom insoles. May be that will work for your as well. Give it a try. 
Most of the time patience and practice answers all your questions.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2024 at 4:41pm
All this random advise on shoes, etc., may or may not work for you as people are different physically. (Most likely will not work) There are many knee issues that have little or nothing to do with shoes. Go see a physician and get diagnosed properly.

I went to see a sports medicine doctor years ago and have been much better ever since. I won't say exactly what treatment and recommendations I got because what worked for me most likely doesn't apply to you.

Edited by qpskfec - 02/29/2024 at 4:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic