FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Switching from Stiga Infinity to Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switching from Stiga Infinity to Viscaria
    Posted: 03/04/2024 at 3:45am
Using Stiga Infinity for many years without complaints ,but some thoughts come is my mind regarding my recent injuries and age increase , 51 years old ... 

Can Viscaria gives me a more effortless play since it is a carbon blade ?
Can I open an underspin ball easier ?

Please share your thoughts .

Edited by Stavros - 03/04/2024 at 9:09am
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2024 at 1:52pm
I have played with both, using the same rubbers. A 86-87 gram Viscaria has a more solid feel, but less dwell time. I felt that the Infinity blocked topspin slightly better, but overall, I preferred the Viscaria for looping on both wings.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2024 at 2:40am
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

I have played with both, using the same rubbers. A 86-87 gram Viscaria has a more solid feel, but less dwell time. I felt that the Infinity blocked topspin slightly better, but overall, I preferred the Viscaria for looping on both wings.

Isn't the throw angle of Viscaria lower because of the relative limited dwell time , especialy against underspin ?
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2024 at 12:01pm
I think throw angle is more determined by the player than the paddle. Yes, the blade and rubber choice does matter, but I know players, including myself, who can change their throw angle by adjusting their stroke.
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2024 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

I think throw angle is more determined by the player than the paddle. Yes, the blade and rubber choice does matter, but I know players, including myself, who can change their throw angle by adjusting their stroke.

I agree with this. Viscaria is not known to provide a very low throw angle. Most of it matters more on the rubber in my opinion. If your mechanics and technique are solid or you have a good foundation, hitting around with a few balls for a bit you should be able to adjust the angle of your paddle without an issue. 

Viscaria will have more catapult and will help move the ball forward easier.
Stiga Infinity will have more dwell time and but possibly impart more spin.

If you are a club player, chances are you will find someone with a Viscaria. Try it before you buy it, that will be the safest bet.

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 5:28am
Playing yesterday with a friend of mine having Viscaria and Stiga Hans Alser Offensive  with same Cornilleau Target  rubbers.

He told me that Stiga Hans Alser has significantly higher throw than Viscaria and more effortless looping against underspin. 

I gave him an Infinity to test ...he liked it. Not easy to replace an old Stiga Hans Alser that is his all time favourite. 

I couldn't compare Infinity with Viscaria because they have very different rubbers .

I suppose Infinity is closer to Hans Alser...

He insisted that I should keep Infinity ...

Edited by Stavros - 03/07/2024 at 5:33am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 10:31am
If you want to switch from infinity to composite, I can only recommend the Apolonia, an innerforce ZLC construction. It is loaded with spin and there is no issue putting the ball away. To me it's the absolute standard when moving from all wood to composite. Maze ALC was too but it's gone. I have a Freitas and I can make it work but it's a bit too slow and hollow to me so the fun is not there however an all wood lover might enjoy it to gear up their game.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 11:03am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

If you want to switch from infinity to composite, I can only recommend the Apolonia, an innerforce ZLC construction. It is loaded with spin and there is no issue putting the ball away. To me it's the absolute standard when moving from all wood to composite. Maze ALC was too but it's gone. I have a Freitas and I can make it work but it's a bit too slow and hollow to me so the fun is not there however an all wood lover might enjoy it to gear up their game.

Actually Apolonia very unpopular blade. Many sold on all forums. I didn't meet someone who like this blade and play with it
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 11:07am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Actually Apolonia very unpopular blade. Many sold on all forums. I didn't meet someone who like this blade and play with it
Maybe you only meet dorks who don't know #$%&, I wonder why would that be?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 11:50am

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Maybe you only meet dorks who don't know #$%&, I wonder why would that be?

you so badly want to sell your Apolonia so call everyone doesn't like this blade dorks?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2024 at 12:25pm
I have too many blades. There is nothing wrong with having an Apolonia in a collection, I will always come back to it like the MJ or the Violin.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2024 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Using Stiga Infinity for many years without complaints ,but some thoughts come is my mind regarding my recent injuries and age increase , 51 years old ... 

Can Viscaria gives me a more effortless play since it is a carbon blade ?
Can I open an underspin ball easier ?

Please share your thoughts .

51 in not that old.  You should not be getting injured if you are eating right and exercising regularly.  But yeah, Viscaria is a looping machine so the transition from Infinity will be easy.  Blocking needs adjustment.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2024 at 9:49am
Used Infinity (and still do regularly) and it simply feels (much) different compared to Viscaria. I try out a lot of equipment (too much actually) and whenever I need to get back on my feet, I turn to the Infinity. It's just rock solid. 

Offtopic: I will also going to try the new Hadraw 5, as the construction in similar to Infinity, except for the top layer (Koto vs Limba)
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2024 at 9:59am
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Offtopic: I will also going to try the new Hadraw 5, as the construction in similar to Infinity, except for the top layer (Koto vs Limba)

Hardraw 5 is possibly similar to Nittaku Runlox-5 (same construction) . Lower throw than Infinity. 
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2024 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Hardraw 5 is possibly similar to Nittaku Runlox-5 (same construction) . Lower throw than Infinity. 

Which might actually be a good thing. Infinity is great for topspin play, but I experience the blade as "nervous" in touch and/or passive play. There will be a difference of course caused by the outer play (less dwell time, lower throw, etc)
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2024 at 3:46pm

Used Infinity (and still do regularly) and it simply feels (much) different compared to Viscaria. I try out a lot of equipment (too much actually) and whenever I need to get back on my feet, I turn to the Infinity. It's just rock solid. 

+1,  I'm with p1ngp0ng3r.  I try out a lot of blades/set-ups (too many) and I always consider this 1 Infinity as my "home base" to reset and just remember how my hand is accustomed to and prefers to play.  I wouldn't get rid of it at least, if I were you.  Keep the Infinity around if the Viscaria doesn't work out as you think it will.
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2024 at 4:06am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

+1,  I'm with p1ngp0ng3r.  I try out a lot of blades/set-ups (too many) and I always consider this 1 Infinity as my "home base" to reset and just remember how my hand is accustomed to and prefers to play.  I wouldn't get rid of it at least, if I were you.  Keep the Infinity around if the Viscaria doesn't work out as you think it will.

Infinity is a great blade indeed.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2024 at 2:45am
Originally posted by emmayashri emmayashri wrote:

Hey hi, it offer you a different playing experience, especially the viscaria carbon composition. Carbon blades often provide more power and a different feel compared to an all-wood blade like the stiga infinity. As for opening underspin balls, the viscaria characteristics may help with generating more spin and control, but it ultimately depends on your playing style and preferences.

I managed to test Viscaria...
Infinity provides better underspin performance for non-pro players. Easier speed, easier spin, easier net clearance, better control. 
Viscaria is better on second and third ball attack , less dwell and larger sweetspot. 

Edited by Stavros - 04/15/2024 at 2:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic