Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will Shortz and the Ping-Pong Prodigy (New Yorker)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Shortz and the Ping-Pong Prodigy (New Yorker)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Shortz and the Ping-Pong Prodigy (New Yorker)
    Posted: 11/03/2015 at 4:35pm
http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/will-shortz-and-the-ping-pong-prodigy

On Rich DeWitt, Westchester TTC, "Top Spin," nerds, etc.

Oh, and Kai Zhang too.
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 10:15am
Nice article.
Found this quote interesting: 
"“Isn’t that amazing?” Shortz said. “He’d never even picked up a paddle and, just from his build and the way he walks, the coach knew he had potential.”"

It would be interesting to know how many kids this coach has selected using this method and how many of them turned out as good as Kai?

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 10:43am
so entertaining; some dream about it; he just does it.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 10:56am
This was a really good read. Thumbs Up
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Nice article.
"“Isn’t that amazing?” Shortz said. “He’d never even picked up a paddle and, just from his build and the way he walks, the coach knew he had potential.”"

It would be interesting to know how many kids this coach has selected using this method and how many of them turned out as good as Kai?

I am sure that regardless of the method, you need to start with 100 6-year olds to produce 10 ten-year olds which will still be competitive enough to continue at provincial level, and then in a few more years you will end up with just one 14-15-yr old... well maybe two if you are lucky.

The whole point of the all-encompassing systems like that is not that you have hundreds and thousands of boys and girls playing all the time and missing school and other necessary childhood things - the point should be to NOT miss that one guy who will turn out to be a future Zhang Jike or Ma Long or Kai Zhang.

Therefore I am all for early and massive selection but I would like to see higher percent of elimination so that the 90% of the ten year-olds could go back to their regular life, learn useful skills, computers and math, arts and languages so they too can become very good at something else, something they will eventually show aptitude for.

While we do not need thousands of professional table tennis players per every million of populace, we do need (sometimes desperately) hundreds of competent (at least competent) teachers, builders, doctors, programmers, clerks, small businessmen, inventors, drivers etc etc etc.

It will not hurt anyone if these teachers, builders and programmers will also enjoy table tennis or soccer or chess - sometimes even at competitive level - but forcing them to lose their chance at decent education and level in favor of highly elusive Olympic dream (which will not happen for all of them save one in ten million) is very unhealthy.

To summarize - sport for health and fun is GREAT (and good for you), professional sport (especially turned into a medal-generating, state-prestige-obsessed machine) is mostly BAD.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gtbana1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbana1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 1:46pm
Thanks for sharing!!
A big fan of Will Shortz for all the hours spent on Sudoku, who knew?
BTY Viscaria, T05,V>401
BTY Innerforce, T05, T64
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 2:34pm
Well put, JImT.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 8:21pm
Yes and No... one needs to follow a good passion. Also, very few people get all the chances they need for achieving the education they have potential for. In fact, many great people became just that because they did not follow the established path.
As for Will Shortz, I had a chance to play a match against him when he visited our club about 2 years ago. I lost 0:3 (or was it 1:3?). He has a great blocking game. Importantly, yes, you can tell he is very enthusiastic about our sport.

EDIT: P.S. amateur, many thanks for posting it, really interesting read.

Edited by JacekGM - 11/05/2015 at 8:30pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2015 at 10:59pm
rigged final... 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2015 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

rigged final... 
I am not sure, they agreed to share the winnings - but they didn t agree who would win or lose. 
Butterfly MPS
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 7:50am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Nice article.

1000 as per kai
and every year they would cut that group until 5 are left
those 5 would be trained with top players and still some don t make it 
now take that times 31 or 33 provinces 
and thats every year 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 10:57am
Interesting how there is a 500 post thread on a potentially illegal serve but yet no one has brought up the blatant cheating/unsportsmanlike conduct that was brought up in the final paragraph. Splitting a final is essentially two-way dumping since neither player is really trying to win, especially in a scenario like in the article where one player just wants to go home. If this was an ITTF tournament and they read this articles the players would surely be facing fines and/or suspensions. But it is not, and this is the type of crap that happens all the time in NY tournaments. To me it s like, what s the point of being a table tennis player if you don t try to win finals.   

Edited by Tk5 - 11/07/2015 at 10:59am
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 11:12am
^^^That s interesting.  The entry form says no prize money will be awarded for splits.  I guess as long as the match is played, the TD doesn t care.

Edited by GMan4911 - 11/07/2015 at 11:15am
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

... Splitting a final is essentially two-way dumping since neither player is really trying to win, especially in a scenario like in the article where one player just wants to go home. If this was an ITTF tournament and they read this articles the players would surely be facing fines and/or suspensions.

There is still this rating consideration, you know...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 3:38pm
They don t play 5 matches or more in one day to win the tournament at ITTF competitions.  It just comes with the territory of the single day tournaments.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 6:35pm
I did read the article  a few days ago (nicely written etc) and interesting to read
I did wonder why someone would tell the readers that one player made contact with another and they decided to split the money, In all my years of table tennis I had never seen or heard about this sort of thing going on, I can understand boxers doing it, just the way it rolls in that game but surely not table tennis, they way the article was written it sorta sounded like a normal or not a unusual thing that occurs in that part of the World
 So a agreement is made then one person doesn t try, go usa
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 6:42pm
I read in Tennis (Lawn) - in exhibition matches players used to agree on you take the first set, I ll take the second and we will play for the third set. Essentially, the players were only playing 1 set competitively. They considered it a win-win for the fans and players. Fans get 3 sets, players only need to work 1 - players considered this a good thing. Not sure if the practice still goes on, but it did in the 70 s and 80 s. 
Butterfly MPS
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 7:59pm

Interesting how there is a 500 post thread on a potentially illegal serve but yet no one has brought up the blatant cheating/unsportsmanlike conduct that was brought up in the final paragraph. Splitting a final is essentially two-way dumping since neither player is really trying to win, especially in a scenario like in the article where one player just wants to go home. If this was an ITTF tournament and they read this articles the players would surely be facing fines and/or suspensions. But it is not, and this is the type of crap that happens all the time in NY tournaments. To me it s like, what s the point of being a table tennis player if you don t try to win finals.   

these guy s are there for money not title s 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

They don t play 5 matches or more in one day to win the tournament at ITTF competitions.  It just comes with the territory of the single day tournaments.

So, is what you re saying that, they do it because they know they can get away with it? LOL
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">They don t play 5 matches or more in one day to win the tournament at ITTF competitions.  It just comes with the territory of the single day tournaments.</span>

So, is what you re saying that, they do it because they know they can get away with it? LOL

Purett put it best, but the point is simple - the conditions are pretty different from ITTF matches. Same for the significance of the results though that van change if the NA Tour starts to get better.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 1:59pm
Exactly, you get more money when you win the final. I m guessing it is illegal with usatt as well, although I m not sure on their stance.

Edited by Tk5 - 11/08/2015 at 2:00pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 2:03pm
When Korean players clearly played a fixed match recently in an ITTF tournament, did anyone do anything?

Thus is a case of practice partners agreeing to play for the audience while sharing the prize money. They.could have made this agreement in a million ways ans being supercilious about it is pointless as long as the match is played.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 2:11pm
Did the korean players go talk about it to the New Yorker? You seem to be perfectly fine with splitting finals even though it is against the rules of the tournament.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 8:13pm
Maybe you could remind all of us who owns the club that runs the tournament again? Again, complaining about this given the nature of what happened is pointless.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 9:41pm
Splitting a finals is against the rules of the tournament and personally behavior I don t condone. I was pointing out what stuck out to me most was the final paragraph of the article. It was not a complaint. I m not arguing the money should be returned. I m just pointing out that it is interesting that this was revealed in a New Yorker article.

Edited by Tk5 - 11/08/2015 at 9:46pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 11:21pm

Splitting a finals is against the rules of the tournament and personally behavior I don t condone. I was pointing out what stuck out to me most was the final paragraph of the article. It was not a complaint. I m not arguing the money should be returned. I m just pointing out that it is interesting that this was revealed in a New Yorker article.

Sure.  So you would have felt better had Kai won then given money to Jishang?  The rules when enforced just means whoever wants to get their money needs to play a match.  I am not sure that the rules are consistently enforced especially when family is involved, but that is beyond the point here.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic