FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tips for Glue/Cut Rubbers ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for Glue/Cut Rubbers ?
    Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:01pm
Hey this is a newb question but im a beginner at this and will be glueing my first rubbers on my new blade. I need advice on how to glue it perfectly without any mistakes. I  user cpen and i have an old premade racket. I just got a new blade and waiting on my rubbers to come.
I looked up some videos on youtube on how to glue and cut rubbers.

Any tips or advice on how not to make any mistakes.
Thanks Smile
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:20pm
I cant watch the videos. But I would go buy some rubber cement (its cheapest option, and works really well). I get it for $1.38 at wal-mart. I would put an even layer on the sponge, let it dry for a couple minutes (first layer dries very fast) then put another layer on and repeat a couple times to get a nice glue buildup. Just layer, and let dry, layer and let dry. Before you put the last layer on, put a layer on the blade surface. Then layer the last layer on the sponge, and then after it dries, carefully place it with the logo centered on the handle, but above it however big of a gap you want since you're a penholder. I would recommend putting a line where you want the rubber to start, using a ruler or straight edge. Then place it, bottom side first, and carefully set it down so its straight and even. then take a cylindrical surface of some kind, and gently roll the rubber upwards so it gets nice and flat.

I usually dont put it under anything, I just cut it right away, but some people set it under a clamp or stack of books for about 10 minutes to make sure the glue bonds. Its probably better to do so. Then take some scissors (easiest way to do it) and use very small precise cuts all the way around. Since the handle is in the way, you have to start a little bit out. And then end up cutting a small extra peice at the end. The other way is take an xacto knife or razor or some kind, place the racket rubber side down, and cut along (1 cut) even with the side of the blade. This is the cleanest way of doing it, and looks the best. I did this last night and forgot how nice it was to do it that way instead.

using a razor it might take a couple go arounds to make sure its all the way through, depending on what rubber you're going to use. Then you're ready to go! Just repeat if you use rubber on the other side.
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:26pm
Never put to much glue on one spot.
Are you using scissors or a knife for the cut-out?

If you use scissors. Use not a small one. And don't cut to fast, you have all the time (I'll hope). And if you wanna be sure that the rubber will stick for 100%, put a heavy box or something else what is heavy, on your bat with rubbers, because the air will pushed away, and you got no swollen spots.

(edit: sorry, don't saw the post above me, I thought I was first)LOL
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:32pm

I already bought the BTY Free Chalk small bottle and i think ill use a blade/razor since the cut comes out very smooth.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:39pm
you have to be careful with free chack. Make sure the glue is VERY VERY even. If its full of lines, your rubber will be full of lines. With VOC glue it doesnt matter as much, the rubber will be flat. But this VOC free stuff is harder to accomplish a flat sheet. Just use two layers on the sponge, one on the blade, and do it quick because it dries fast and starts rolling and lumping if you take too long. Also, dont count on getting the glue buildup off your rubber. When you take the rubber off for whatever reason, you just have to keep adding layers, you cant roll it or peel it off. But if you're using VOC free, theres no need to take it off in the first place until you have played the rubber to its full life.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:40pm
its new avitar time.
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I already bought the BTY Free Chalk small bottle and i think ill use a blade/razor since the cut comes out very smooth.

Beeray is right, no time to rolling it, put something heavy or a heavy box on your bat, and all things comes to a good end.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

you have to be careful with free chack. Make sure the glue is VERY VERY even. If its full of lines, your rubber will be full of lines. With VOC glue it doesnt matter as much, the rubber will be flat. But this VOC free stuff is harder to accomplish a flat sheet. Just use two layers on the sponge, one on the blade, and do it quick because it dries fast and starts rolling and lumping if you take too long. Also, dont count on getting the glue buildup off your rubber. When you take the rubber off for whatever reason, you just have to keep adding layers, you cant roll it or peel it off. But if you're using VOC free, theres no need to take it off in the first place until you have played the rubber to its full life.

so with VOC free glue the glue builts up if u keep changing the rubber?
well im not planning to change sheets for whatever reason i guess ill just use the rubber until it dies/rips completly. thats why i heard free chalk is good for.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by GBtabletennis GBtabletennis wrote:

Beeray is right, no time to rolling it, put something heavy or a heavy box on your bat, and all things comes to a good end.

so right after i glue it ... i shouldnt let it dry? just put it on and put something heavy on it?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:53pm

so with VOC free glue the glue builts up if u keep changing the rubber?
well im not planning to change sheets for whatever reason i guess ill just use the rubber until it dies/rips completly. thats why i heard free chalk is good for.

not all VOC free glue is like this. its just BTY Free Chack that is horrible at that part, same with the Donic Vario VOC free glue. (they are identical)

I used BTY free chack for a bit, its easy to use. Just make sure to get it all even. It doesn't try fast on the sponge, just on the blade. So you dont have to hurry on the sponge. You can concentrate on evening the glue out. You're right about that being what its good for- the One time use kind of thing. Just glue it, roll it on, cut it, set it under some books for 15 minutes (free chack, i recommend it) and take it out and play.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 3:54pm

so right after i glue it ... i shouldnt let it dry? just put it on and put something heavy on it?

no no free chack needs to dry well.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 4:10pm

no no free chack needs to dry well.
oh i see... okay so i just put one layer on my blade and two layers on sponge... how do i put 2 layers on sponge? i put one layer spread and let it dry and then put another layer of glue?
MaLong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2009 at 4:40pm

Yes, one layer, wait for it to go clear and dry then apply a second layer.

Blade: Butterfly Schlager Light Fl
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 64
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 64

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 1:53am
Originally posted by MaLong MaLong wrote:

Yes, one layer, wait for it to go clear and dry then apply a second layer.

any special tips for glue/cutting for t05/t64 on a cpen primorac? thats what ill be using =]
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 2:16am
Is it bad that I only put one layer on each side? I'm using dhs water glue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic