FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy reviews: Hannibal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy reviews: Hannibal
    Posted: 12/19/2009 at 3:52am
Blade: Nexy Hannibal
Type: OFF- (Carbon)
Ply: 3W+2C
Peers: (not really except being carbon) Primorac Carbon, Gergely, Sardius, Schlager.
Speed: 6.5/10, not as fast as Oscar (7/10) (Butterfly PC 8.0/10, Schlager Carbon,9.0/10)
Control: 9/10, fantastic.
Feel: medium to soft feel.
Weight: 92 gr. again same balance as Oscar, same center.
Handle: ST
Rubbers: FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm, BH: Butterfly Sriver G2FX 1.9mm tuned

Review: Day 1,initial impression. Nexy Hannibal is also a Nexy blade that has the distinct
feel and features of a Butterfly blade. See pics here: http://www.tak9.com/mall.php?cat=
006001000&query=view&no=2553 I like the round, straight, comfortable handle and red and
green (good luck) paint job but not the thickness of about 7mm. Some might think it's
chunky. A ball bouncing on the blade gives a pitch that is just above that of the Stiga
Clipper and below that of the Oscar.

Hannibal is a rather surprising carbon blade. It is not fast and has fantastic control. It's
slower than Oscar with a softer feel in both handle and playing surfaces. It doesn't have
Oscar's springy middle layer. It's faster than Nittaku Acoustic, slower than Butterfly A/C
blades, and closer to 7-ply Clipper in speed. It has all the feel of a carbon blade but not
the quite the speed as most carbon.

It's different than Grubba Carbon because of a different feel, less flex, thicker, and
faster. It's closer to PC but not quite the speed and with a softer feel. So a completely
different blade no matter which blade you compare it to. It's an enjoyable task for us
reviewers to try all these unique blades, Oscar, Color, Hannibal, etc. that is different
than any blades we played. Hannibal is the only carbon blade in its speed class I have used.
This blade requires Tenergy forehand because I am used to a fast setup. Hurricane would be
slightly slow and too much control. Turns out used softer Tenergy is the perfect rubber for
this blade. This combo gives a nice stable topspin. Topspin after topspin, I just can't seem
to miss. The control gets an A. The power (from the combo) is awesome. The speed is very
decent with Tenergy 2.1mm! I can't decide which is better, Chinese rubber with Oscar or
Tenergy with Hannibal. The loops are not as spiny with Tenergy/Hannibal combo but the shots
are more effortless. The blocking, topspin defense, and short game are, like the loops, easy
to control.

This is a blade for the all-round offensive player who wants a complete game. This is a very
complete blade, just the right speed for me. Any less would be too slow and any faster I
can't use Tenergy for forehand. This blade is good for close-to-the table as well as away (
pairing with Tenergy). It has enough control that those who are ready to try a carbon blade
should take a look at this one. It's a perfect first carbon blade that still has some
advantages of wood. They wouldn't feel a big departure from what they are used to. It is
quite the blade for those of us that find most composite blades too fast for Tenergy. A
monster combo, Tenergy and Hannibal equal control and power!

Improvement: I like to see a slightly thinner blade if possible. Not by much, just 0.2mm-0.3mm.
Sponsored Links

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 4:12am
Does the Hannibal generate more or less spin on loops, compared to the Clipper Wood?

The reason I ask is I have 2 Clipper Woods.

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 3:00pm
My Review of the Hannibal is coming soon! I'm very impressed with it!
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

Speed: 6.5/10, not as fast as Oscar (7/10) (Butterfly PC 8.0/10, Schlager Carbon,9.0/10)

A bit off topic here!  Smile
I am dying to know that what is a 10 on 10 in terms of speed for you? Tongue I would like to know the name of that beast of a blade! Wink
I am asking this because Schlager Carbon is by far the fastest blade that i have ever seen personally! Big%20smile

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 5:42pm
There was something very important that I want to add here that I don't know how it got left
out. The biggest characteristic of this blade (with T05) is the NICE HOLLOW FEEL of a good
looping blade. It makes you feel the blade "holds" more of the ball. There are not one
carbon blade that has this characteristic. There are some 5-ply wood, Stiga in particular,
that excell in this area but they are too slow in speed in comparison. I don't know how Mr
Moon does it but it's carbon and has the hollow feel! That's why I am so happy with this
blade. While Oscar feels solid and very good at power shots and drives, Hannibal is great
for loops. Topspin exchanges are just outstanding!

Peter C, I have a Clipper but it's only for my collection and I tested the speed not by
playing but just bouncing the ball on it (with and w/o rubber). Hannibal is slightly faster
so Clipper should produce more spin on higher gears and Hannibal more spin on lower gears. However, your question can't be answered directly. As I said Hannibal is a allround looping blade and Clipper is solid and has power for loop drives to end points. In some areas clipper would not do well because it needs more effort. Hands down Hannibal would do better at loops of equal spin and speed. It's got far more balance and possibility (for producing spin as well).

anubhav1984, haha, Don't worry. They will come out with one soon. I think I covered this before but don't pay attention to the numbers too much. I put it up so that the readers have some ideas about where this blade ranked, and it's the ranking that's more important. It give somes reference.
(I might run out of number if I kept going down. Lets see, Acoustic 6/10, Primorac 5/10,...)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 5:57pm
What did you think about the wood construction thethinker?

I'm fairly certain it goes: Hinoki-Carbon-Balsa-Carbon-Hinoki.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 7:10pm
I can't be certain the middle layer is balsa but some very soft Hinoki? Although I don't know what wood Mr Moon used but that's what gives this blade chacter! The wood gives a very soft and slow feel that covers up the sharp hard feel of carbon, and that's how it's feel hollow, a combination of softness and carbon. I think I should revised the feel to soft. Darn I didn't have a Darker on hand to compare it to, but I seem to remember Darker use wood that has that soft feel.
I look forward to your review lildudejds. I know you are using Tenergy and Tenergy of any version is great with this blade.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2009 at 7:49pm
Actually I have sheets of Hexer coming to put on it. That's the main thing that's keeping me from my review. I want to try it with one other rubber than just tenergy.

I think the middle layer is balsa, mainly because it dents with just a fingernail pinch.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2009 at 6:39pm
I tried and I can't make a dent with my fingernaul but that doesn't mean it can't be balsa.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2009 at 10:36pm

I tried and I can't make a dent with my fingernaul but that doesn't mean it can't be balsa.

I think it does mean this is not balsa.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2009 at 2:00am
I thought there are some balsa that is a bit harder--but then I am no expert when comes to wood type. I do have several balsa blades that's not easily scratched.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 12:02am

I thought there are some balsa that is a bit harder--but then I am no expert when comes to wood type. I do have several balsa blades that's not easily scratched.

Actually, Balsa woods have many different types per its hardness.
Some are really stiff, and nobody will be sure it's balsa, but some others are extremely soft and weak.

Any way, Hannibal has no balsa layer. Smile

Brand Manager of NEXY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 12:23am
Nexy,

What is the construction of the Hannibal?
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 2:35am
Judging by the wood grain on the cross section photo of the Hannibal, on Tak09.com, it looks like :

Kiso Hinoki- Carbon- Kiri - Carbon - Kiso Hinoki

I could be wrong about the middle layer, but the grain does look like Kiri to me.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:58am
Thought I give my review a bump so that the readers can get a bigger picture of Hannibal by reading two reviews together.
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Judging by the wood grain on the cross section photo of the Hannibal, on Tak09.com, it looks like :

Kiso Hinoki- Carbon- Kiri - Carbon - Kiso Hinoki

I could be wrong about the middle layer, but the grain does look like Kiri to me.

+1 The core does look like Kiri. Looks like a Photino structure except for the Zylon composite instead of the Carbon. Surprised that it is so slow as this combination should be atleast an 8-8.5, then again I haven't played with it.

Nice review.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 8:30pm
I think it loks like Kiri too, but the way he used the grain is different from other blades I owned with Kiri core... he seems to use it on a natural diagonal, whereas the Xiom blade I had that used a Kiri core was glued at angles...
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2010 at 3:40pm
Thought I give this blade a final thought before I move on. My initial impression of the blade is correct that it is a good control blade. However, I still find it hard to control with fast rubbers like Tenergy on the forehand to do a wide range of loops. While Oscar has the soft, springy wood that holds the ball before spits it our, Hannibal lacks this particular element in loops even though it is slower. Of course I have no problem playing a fast rubber on the backhand where I don't do a lot of loops. After the finding I switch my forehand rubber to a slower H3 and it works better. My range has come back.
I love NXEY blades. All of them has a very SOFT and CRISP feel when I play because of hinoki and carbon. But I prefer Oscar over Hannibal because of the variation I can do with my forehand.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 1:03am

Thank you for all the writings.

I really enjoyed what you've gone through.

I respect your ideas, and I also agree that your choice of Oscar over Hannibal, which I did also.Wink

Brand Manager of NEXY
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 1:06am

One more small news.

Nexy.Com is going to be available very soon.

It took for more than 2 month to renew the site, and the banking process made me wait also one more month, but now nexy.com site is about to be reopen again.

I hope this site is a good place for every one to look around.

Brand Manager of NEXY
rossicarbon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 5:09am

Blade: Nexy Hannibal
Type: OFF- (Carbon)
Ply: 3W+2C
Peers: (not really except being carbon) Primorac Carbon, Gergely, Sardius, Schlager.
Control: 9/10, fantastic.
Feel: medium to soft feel.
Weight: 92 gr. again same balance as Oscar, same center.
Handle: ST
Rubbers: FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm, BH: Butterfly Sriver G2FX 1.9mm tuned

Review: Day 1,initial impression. Nexy Hannibal is also a Nexy blade that has the distinct
feel and features of a Butterfly blade. See pics here: http://www.tak9.com/mall.php?cat=
006001000&query=view&no=2553 I like the round, straight, comfortable handle and red and
green (good luck) paint job but not the thickness of about 7mm. Some might think it's
chunky. A ball bouncing on the blade gives a pitch that is just above that of the Stiga
Clipper and below that of the Oscar.

Hannibal is a rather surprising carbon blade. It is not fast and has fantastic control. It's
slower than Oscar with a softer feel in both handle and playing surfaces. It doesn't have
Oscar's springy middle layer. It's faster than Nittaku Acoustic, slower than Butterfly A/C
blades, and closer to 7-ply Clipper in speed. It has all the feel of a carbon blade but not
the quite the speed as most carbon.

It's different than Grubba Carbon because of a different feel, less flex, thicker, and
faster. It's closer to PC but not quite the speed and with a softer feel. So a completely
different blade no matter which blade you compare it to. It's an enjoyable task for us
reviewers to try all these unique blades, Oscar, Color, Hannibal, etc. that is different
than any blades we played. Hannibal is the only carbon blade in its speed class I have used.
This blade requires Tenergy forehand because I am used to a fast setup. Hurricane would be
slightly slow and too much control. Turns out used softer Tenergy is the perfect rubber for
this blade. This combo gives a nice stable topspin. Topspin after topspin, I just can't seem
to miss. The control gets an A. The power (from the combo) is awesome. The speed is very
decent with Tenergy 2.1mm! I can't decide which is better, Chinese rubber with Oscar or
Tenergy with Hannibal. The loops are not as spiny with Tenergy/Hannibal combo but the shots
are more effortless. The blocking, topspin defense, and short game are, like the loops, easy
to control.

This is a blade for the all-round offensive player who wants a complete game. This is a very
complete blade, just the right speed for me. Any less would be too slow and any faster I
can't use Tenergy for forehand. This blade is good for close-to-the table as well as away (
pairing with Tenergy). It has enough control that those who are ready to try a carbon blade
should take a look at this one. It's a perfect first carbon blade that still has some
advantages of wood. They wouldn't feel a big departure from what they are used to. It is
quite the blade for those of us that find most composite blades too fast for Tenergy. A
monster combo, Tenergy and Hannibal equal control and power!

Improvement: I like to see a slightly thinner blade if possible. Not by much, just 0.2mm-0.3mm.

i think hannibal is as fast as sardius..LOLLOL
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 5:04am
rossi, how do you know?

I have been to NEXY.com and the site is up and running. Everything is simple and clear, like things you want to know about shipping etc is on the page! I hope someone other than the testers gets something like an Oscar to see that these blades are something else.
rossicarbon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 6:55am
cos i bought one!!!!
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2010 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by rossicarbon rossicarbon wrote:

cos i bought one!!!!

I'm glad you said that.
Hannibal must be the fasted carbon blade!!
Brand Manager of NEXY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic