Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hardness Table (topsheet/sponge)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:58pm
I just sent about 20-25 cuttings to Jim T's friend. If Jim T's friend is the one that is doing all the testing then we have one person that should be testing in a consistent way instead of each manufacturer doing their own tests their own way.  That is the whole point of this database.

Personally,  I don't think knowing the hardness or softness is as useful as knowing the normal and tangential coefficient of restitution but the extra information can't hurt.   I know that some like to know if the rubber is hard or soft.  I know I prefer harder rubbers on my FH and softer on my BH.

@vvut.tee.   Math is not fictional but it must be applied in a way that makes sense. A thicker sponge will compress more than a thinner sponge if made of the same material.   I don't think the durometer test takes that into account.

@Jim T,  if your friend does take thickness into account then let us know.

A better test would be to measure the percent of compression for a given weight/area or do it the other way around were the weight per area is increased until the sponge is compressed a certain percentage.  A 2mm sponge will compress twice as much as a 1mm sponge of the same material but they will both compress by the same amount percentage wise.

To make the test even more relevant to vvu.tee I would use a TT ball shaped object to apply the force.
I would log the force as a function of compression.  This test would more accurately reflect the force and compression that a rubbers sees from the ball but the ball deforms too.  That would make calculations more difficult.

Vvu.tee  I agree that testing with the top sheet and sponge makes it difficult to evaluate hardness using the current methods.   Using a TT ball on the end of the probe to compress the top sheet and sponge in small increments would be best IF the ball didn't deform but it will.

Doing dynamic testing would be extremely difficult.

So face it guys.  90% of TT marketing is a fraud or inaccurate.  The reason I have so many clippings is because I would simply buy and try. I am just hoping that Jim T's friend will provide consistent data that we can use even if it isn't tested in an optimal way.
Sponsored Links

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:59pm
dp.

Edited by mercuur - 02/02/2012 at 1:59pm

vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 3:52pm
http://www.npl.co.uk/engineering-measurements/mass-force-pressure/hardness/rubber-hardness

here is a link describing a standardized method for testing rubber on the A scale. however, it assumes uniform services, and inverted rubber is not, thus results will not be uniform (air/pip)

i am not sure if the same method is suitable for the sponge at all... maybe E or O probes are better, even on both

yep, mercuur, dynamic modelling is the key to constructing a suitable hardness test for TT rubbers... it is not entirely outside my grasp, however, mechanics and material science is not my cup of tea and I'd rather work on gentech engineered long-legged TT companions :-)

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

http://www.npl.co.uk/engineering-measurements/mass-force-pressure/hardness/rubber-hardness

here is a link describing a standardized method for testing rubber on the A scale. however, it assumes uniform services, and inverted rubber is not, thus results will not be uniform (air/pip)

i am not sure if the same method is suitable for the sponge at all... maybe E or O probes are better, even on both

yep, mercuur, dynamic modelling is the key to constructing a suitable hardness test for TT rubbers... it is not entirely outside my grasp, however, mechanics and material science is not my cup of tea and I'd rather work on gentech engineered long-legged TT companions :-)

The referenced article is how they are testing the rubber and the letter identification that you suggest "maybe E or O probes are better" does not apply. The letter designation is used for the hardness scale or force range, has nothing to do with the tip of the probe - different probes can be used, which can change the reading and unless everyone uses the same durometer and the specified procedure, readings can be different - this is just like TT companies. If the procedure to measure sponge is consistent and the probe is calibrated, it is a scientific analysis - maybe not the one that you want, but it does not change the facts. I didn't see anywhere, where it was stated that rubber x looped better or had more spin, only the hardness is listed.....

Edited by metalone - 02/02/2012 at 4:25pm
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 4:38pm
If you want dynamic results then simply skip the hardness stuff and try to find the coefficient of restitution in the normal and tangential directions as a function of impact speed and perhaps angle.  The coefficient of restitution is a true indication of how a rubber plays.  
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 5:56pm

COR for TT balls is 0.94... as specified by the ITTF, so one part of the puzzle solved; however how would you measure the COR of the rubber? i'd make an educated guess here, but would it be more suitable to measure the COR of a racket (or player+racket=which is the entire moving system) Wink and then again, at the point of inelastic collision the relative speed of the racket+player would be effectively unchanged... nah,  i don't think COR will do the trick for rubbers, in table tennis an effective oblique collision is also observed after impact with soft rubber or due to spin and COR can be bigger than 1 when racket is moving at slow speed... hmm will give it a thought for kicks, but this is getting necessarily complex for one day. at this point it seems another dead end to me.

last but not least, I also play golf casually, and I know that COR is not an actual coefficient but a function (or a set of values) and it does change continuously or discretely unless holding pretty much everything constant. it is also a marketing trick of golf equipment manufacturers.

i would like to regress a dozen of posts: it is so much easier to rely on gut feeling than measurement and math. "gut feeling" is actually a method of sorting and analyzing data subconsciously perfected by evolution for far-far longer than the entire history of mathematics and science...

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

i would like to regress a dozen of posts: it is so much easier to rely on gut feeling than measurement and math. "gut feeling" is actually a method of sorting and analyzing data subconsciously perfected by evolution for far-far longer than the entire history of mathematics and science...

True - but in order to rely on gut feeling you need to actually buy and test the rubber. Knowing in advance which rubbers are more or less in the range you prefer, should help.

For instance, when i am looking for a rubber to possibly replace PME 47.5 I know that I want

a) inverted
b) non-tacky
c) 2.1-2.2 mm
d) fast yet spinny and controllable enough...
e) low sensitivity
f) hardness should be around 38-40 degs on DHS scale (non-tensor)

almost all of this can be ascertained from manufacturer's data and reviews (usually regardless of the level of reviewer), except for speed/control. Low sensitivity and speed however could be guessed from non-tackiness and sponge/topsheet hardness, especially if sponge belongs to a new generation of SGE sponges.

So it helps to narrow the choices... doesn't solve everything, of course... but should help.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 4:17pm
adding more, see the updated table - rubber' cutoff pieces donated by pnachtwey and measured by my friend (with many thanks from us all)

729 OEM black 2.1     32/31
Yasaka Mark V max black        30/32
Yin-He Red Apollo 1                 30/34
SST 554 Pro Team black 2.15   34/37
Butterfly Super Anti red 1.9    37/25
Yasaka Rakza 7 soft max black    27/25
LKT Red Diamond ver 1    2.1    34/30
Reflectoid red 1.5              28/26
Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8      black          27/25
Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 black                       28/22
729 OEM red 2.1                28/30
LKT Black Power 2.1                   37/34
Nittaku Best Anti black 2.0          36/29
Yasaka Anti Power 2.0                              33/16
Gambler Aces 1.8 black    24/25

Pimps measured on smooth side:

RITC 802-40 red 1.8                       31
RITC 563 red 1.5                            29
RITC 755 1.0 red                            27
Gambler Peacekeeper red                    34   
Gambler Peacekeeper black                 39 

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 4:49pm
The 554 is supposed to be SST.
There is suppose to be a Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm to but I don't see it.

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 1:32am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 1:47am
How is it that Pryde 30 degrees is 40 degrees? Clap
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:00am
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

I just wondered how thinner sponge can meassure to be softer (when there is harder surface underneath like a table or something) and also the topsheet as softer (both lkt rapid speed and palio macro era has this and same range of difference also).

You measure sponge separately and topsheet separately. Besides, they have to be at least 6 mm thick to avoid data contamination.

Still my problem is what pressure to use in order to achieve uniform conditions. Seems that it must be 400 g with Shore C durometer. But then another problem arises - with softer materials the protruding pin gets easier into the rubber and the base of the durometer is more hardly pressed against the surface of the rubber, so no uniformity again.

So I push until the base reaches the surface of the measured material.

Edited by Imago - 02/12/2012 at 5:03am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 4:04am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

does this mean the topsheet of tenergy is harder than the sponge? it certainly does not feel like that...
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:54pm
Added a couple of Dr.N rubbers

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

does this mean the topsheet of tenergy is harder than the sponge? it certainly does not feel like that...

What can I tell you... them's the numbers.

Remember that the measurement is done on a very (relatively) thin sheet of rubber/sponge. Naturally this means that hardness number of topsheet will surely be dependent on hardness of sponge - after all almost as soon as the durometer starts pushing into the topsheet the sponge will come into play.

So - once again - these numbers are not supposed to coincide with the "real" numbers from manufacturers, but they should useful for general comparison (between teh numbers in the same table - this one, that is).

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:06am
Rakza 7:     27 / 26
Rakza 7 soft:     27 / 25
Tenergy 05 FX:     26 / 21
Tenergy 05:     28 / 23
Vega Pro:     29 / 20

I may have found a BH rubber (R7S - didn't know that it isn't that soft at all) using this table, thanks!
I also didn't know that XVP sponge is that soft.

Also, could you if possible, please specify which Narucross GS version is tested here? 

Edited by slevin - 06/15/2012 at 9:10am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 11:03am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Rakza 7:     27 / 26
Rakza 7 soft:     27 / 25
Tenergy 05 FX:     26 / 21
Tenergy 05:     28 / 23
Vega Pro:     29 / 20

I may have found a BH rubber (R7S - didn't know that it isn't that soft at all) using this table, thanks!
I also didn't know that XVP sponge is that soft.

Also, could you if possible, please specify which Narucross GS version is tested here? 

Unfortunately I cannot add these numbers to the table as the measurements were not done by the same durometer, using same technique.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 11:36am
No, I don't want them to be added to the table. I pulled the numbers off of your table (sorry for not specifying that in the earlier post).
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:01pm
Quote Remember that the measurement is done on a very (relatively) thin sheet of rubber/sponge. Naturally this means that hardness number of topsheet will surely be dependent on hardness of sponge - after all almost as soon as the durometer starts pushing into the topsheet the sponge will come into play.

This seems to make the "topsheet" numbers very misleading then. The topsheet numbers would really be more of a "total hardness". Maybe if the table's columns were "with topsheet" and "sponge only" it would make more sense.

Edited by chopchopslam - 06/15/2012 at 12:01pm
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2012 at 3:01pm
Adding (or merging) some more data

Tenergy 64 black MAX     26/24
DHS Hurricane 3 deg.40 red       29/31
Sword Backoff 42 purple sponge   27/27
Air Illumina 2.2 black   25/28
Air Illumina 2.0  red  27/30

so I am guessing Illumina is about 34-35 deg topsheet and 37-38 deg sponge.

AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2012 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

Quote Remember that the measurement is done on a very (relatively) thin sheet of rubber/sponge. Naturally this means that hardness number of topsheet will surely be dependent on hardness of sponge - after all almost as soon as the durometer starts pushing into the topsheet the sponge will come into play.

This seems to make the "topsheet" numbers very misleading then. The topsheet numbers would really be more of a "total hardness". Maybe if the table's columns were "with topsheet" and "sponge only" it would make more sense.

+1
Viscaria
T05/T64
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by AllezCho AllezCho wrote:

Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

+1

Cannot really claim that this is what the durometer is really measuring. But it doesn't matter - all that I state here is the following:

if you want to compare rubber A to rubber B, find them in the table and compare their hardnesses - then you should be able to claim that topsheet-A is harder than topsheet-B (or smth like that; same with sponge).

Example: someone asks you "I have been playing with Killerspin Blast but I would like something just a bit harder-sponged and hopefully cheaper, too". Then your answer would be - Palio Macro Era (it has same number for topsheet, slightly harder sponge, and price sticker which is less than half of the Blast).

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:50am
Added GD Karate Soft, Palio CJ8000 L&F, Donic Acuda S1 Turbo...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 6:25pm
Added Palio Blitz 42.5, Tibhar Aurus and Aurus Soft, RITC Super-T, Butterfly Tenergy-64 FX, Donic Bluefire JP-03

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 8:04pm
Added Gambler Outlaw Pro & Soft.

Also a couple of rather obvious (but still helpful) explanations should be made:

When the measurement is done, a pointy end of the device is being pushed into the material and material's resistance is measured. (Different scales even use different shapes - like hemisphere in one case, cone in another which makes these measurements completely independent meaning that there can be NO formula that transforms for instance ShoreA numbers into ShoreC numbers, only very approximate comparisons; that makes it important to use numbers from one scale ONLY; as well as not assigning them some magic properties which will allegedly tell you how the rubber will behave during the game; the measurements are "static").

That means that the material which is being measured MUST be relatively thick - otherwise you end up measuring the hardness of the table you put it on. That's why numbers that DHS, Butterfly and other manufacturers provide are so different from the ones we get when using durometers on a 2-mm thick layer of sponge (because they actually have layers of sponge which are foot thick or even thicker). Same goes for using durometer on a 4-mm thick rubber which consists of topsheet and sponge. The result (let's even forget about the table and assume it is always the same table) is naturally a mix of hardness of sponge and hardness of topsheet.

Let's take a look at the four Gambler Outlaw rubbers in my table - they all have the same topsheet but look at the durometer readings - it's 33 for Classic, 28 for GC and Pro, and 25 for Soft. Of course the hardness of the topsheet is about the same for all four of them - probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 28-29. But when we measure hardness of Outlaw Soft from topsheet side we get sponge's hardness (which is quite low) mixed up into the topsheet's hardness.

So there should be a formula that goes like this

Measured Hardness of T/S = W x Actual Hardness of T/S + (1-W) x Actual Hardness of S/T

where W is a number (weight ratio) between 0 and 1 which shows how exactly we mix together hardness of topsheet and sponge to get the "measured" number. T/S means "topsheet/or/sponge" and S/T means "sponge/or/topsheet".

I am not an expert on hardness-elasticity theory and cannot compute more or less reliable value of that coefficient weight W, but it has to be more than 0.5, probably much closer to 1. Let's assume that it is 0.75 (nice number taken directly from my imagination; it could be 0.86110293 for all we know).

That means that for Outlaw Pro 28 is indeed more or less "real" hardness for both topsheet and sponge.

For Outlaw Soft we thus get

21 (Measured Hardness of Sponge) = 0.75 * (Actual HoS) + 0.25 * 28 (Actual HoT)

which gives us Actual HoS around 18-19 (or approximately 27 on DHS scale). Looks a bit low but then again, it could be true. Or a whole load of bunk. Either way, try it out.

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 11:36pm
The more I think about this the more I am sure that this whole concept of durometer readings is wrong.  Poking a rubber with a sharp point instead of pushing against it with a TT ball is kind of like poking a mattress with spike or nail to estimate how hard or soft it is when something MUCH flatter should be used like a human body.

My other complaint is that durometer readings are meaningless except for the fact that a higher number means the object is harder.  A degree if hardness can't be directly used in a calculation like a stress vs strain plot.  One can calculate a spring constant as a function of deformation using a stress vs strain plot.  Now one can calculate the force or pressure necessary to deform a rubber a certain percentage of its thickness.   Also,  one can also estimate the energy absorbed by compressing the rubber except for that lost to damping.

I would propose a new standard where the rubber trimmings are cut into 1 cm squares and a vise with a load cell is used to compress the rubber.   A dial indicator would record how much the rubber is compress and the load cell data would be recorded at different increments of compression.
Stress vs strain tests are common in industry.   It should be easy to see differences in stress vs strain profiles for different rubbers.

I chose 1 sq cm because it is an easy number to work with and just about any trimming will provide a 1 sq cm square.  1 sq cm is about how much area a TT ball compresses.  4 sq cm seemed to be too large an area but it would work too if a 2x2 cm^2 area can be cut from a trimming.  This data would be much more meaningful than pointy durometer readings.  We could see which sponges are linear and which are not.  I doubt any rubber would be linear but some would be more linear than others. 

So why use a durometer?  Because it is cheap.  Making a stress vs strain testing system costs $$$.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 10:42am
I agree - the durometer readings should only be used for comparison and only when done with the same durometer, at the same place, using same method (like testing rubber in six random points then averaging it out). BTW, good (for our purpose) durometers use hemisphere as the probing shape, not the sharp point (those are better for really hard things like metal, rocks and plastics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic