Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Poly ball review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Poly ball review
    Posted: 12/03/2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

When will the ITTF just let the players have some fun and not have to constantly change their style?

This latest "money grab"...will probably settle things for at least 5-10yrs without any new rule changes. LOL

Then again... if "poly" is suddenly put on the highly flammable list, all bets are off!
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

I wonder if they will wear like Barna Super Balls (the first plastic ball). Players didnt like them because they were harder and bounced different to celluloid. But also they were almost indestructible. they could collect hundreds of scratches without actually breaking. I seem to remember Desmond Douglas hated them

Just about everybody hated them !
The Older I get, The better I was.
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2013 at 7:43pm
When will the ITTF just let the players have some fun and not have to constantly change their style?
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Does anyone know if the new balls will work properly in the various brands of robots out there?

I am particularly interested in how they work with the Newgy 1050/2050 versions.

Mark
At the prices I have seen posted the ball are too expensive for a robot.

If you've read the report, you can see there are A LOT of bad balls in the same batch. I'm assuming they will be your cheapie ones that will be used for robots and at places like academy/walmart, etc. etc.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 3:12pm
If Adham is defeated in two weeks, I hope they postpone the new ball until enough open research is done.  This new ball is complete b.s. to me.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Does anyone know if the new balls will work properly in the various brands of robots out there?

I am particularly interested in how they work with the Newgy 1050/2050 versions.

Mark
At the prices I have seen posted the ball are too expensive for a robot.
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 2:45pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

AndySmith stated:

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-pcs-Palio-Non-Celluloid-Table-Tennis-Balls-Commemorative-Edition-/281096599145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172a9b669

Bear in mind that these are seamless, and it looks like the ITTF are moving towards a two-piece plastic ball instead.

Still, I've bought a pack. Just for kicks.
==============================================================

3 balls for $11.50.  That's expensive.

Yeah...but...they're commemorative and stuff and things and I need them! Sleepy
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 3:48pm

Mark
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 12:52pm
thanks, got a pack too, yea probably wasteful but worth it to me to get an idea and feel even if not near the finished product
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 12:42pm
AndySmith stated:

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-pcs-Palio-Non-Celluloid-Table-Tennis-Balls-Commemorative-Edition-/281096599145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172a9b669

Bear in mind that these are seamless, and it looks like the ITTF are moving towards a two-piece plastic ball instead.

==============================================================

3 balls for $11.50.  That's expensive.
skip3119
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Here you go:

The ITTF official report was for a seamless ball.

I forgot I downloaded it. Here it is, hope it works, never used skydrive before:

ITTF report on poly ball

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by BHDoom BHDoom wrote:

Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

It's a foregone conclusion unfortunately.You can buy some unofficial poly balls already.You can read the report of the poly balls that were tested. Although, once you read it, you'll scratch your head when they say the testers agreed it was "good", even though it has less spin and is slower and... sounds cracked.OOOOOOOOOOOOPss....seems ITTF removed the article.

Where can you buy some new unofficial plastic balls?  Thanks

Here you go:

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 12:01pm
Assuming no further delays will be made before implementing this new ball (June 2014), I really wonder when we'll some available at the retail level. I mean, I'm sure I feel the same as everyone else here, it would certainly be nice to try it out and get a feel for this thing before having to play with it in any kind of meaningful match.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 11:51am
If it's a tournament, the tournament invitation should list the rules, including the type of ball used.

If it's at a club, in the end who cares?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

HOW TO AVOID QUARRELS ?

ITTF should give us a clear_cut guidance about how can we proceed when there is a strong disagreement between the players about tha ball type to play with.
A SITUATION POSSIBLE: I offer celluloid ball for a match as I hate the plastic sound badly, and my rival does favour the PB's higher bounce. How can we resolve this conflict to the best mutual pleasure???
By tossing the lot or what?

Waiting for your possible solution.
I guess it depends which is the official ball at the time of the quarrel!

Edited by jrscatman - 05/08/2013 at 11:40am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 11:35am
I was at the Stellan camp in OKC this weekend.  He had two poly balls...one seamed and one an older attempt at seamless.  We couldn't play with the samples but we could bounce them.

The seamless sounded really plastic sounding on the bounce and bounced higher.  Terrible I suspect. 

The newer seamed one seemed reasonably close.  Again, just based on bouncing the ball.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

It's a foregone conclusion unfortunately.

You can buy some unofficial poly balls already.

You can read the report of the poly balls that were tested.

Although, once you read it, you'll scratch your head when they say the testers agreed it was "good", even though it has less spin and is slower and... sounds cracked.

OOOOOOOOOOOOPss....seems ITTF removed the article.

Where can you buy some new unofficial plastic balls?  Thanks
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 10:13am
Originally posted by michael4ster michael4ster wrote:

This might sound like a dumb question, but is it only the United states going to the poly ball? or the whole world?

Thanks,

This is an ITTF change, to be implemented in June 2014. That would mean, any associations who follow their rules and that will implement the poly ball.

Edited by j-bo - 05/08/2013 at 10:17am
michael4ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael4ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 10:10am
This might sound like a dumb question, but is it only the United states going to the poly ball? or the whole world?

Thanks,
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 9:45am
It's a foregone conclusion unfortunately.

You can buy some unofficial poly balls already.

You can read the report of the poly balls that were tested.

Although, once you read it, you'll scratch your head when they say the testers agreed it was "good", even though it has less spin and is slower and... sounds cracked.

OOOOOOOOOOOOPss....seems ITTF removed the article.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 9:39am
I find myself liking the idea of the new poly balls and its characteristics(less spin, more low end bounce) more and more. As long as they are very consistent in how they behave
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2013 at 9:13am
HOW TO AVOID QUARRELS ?

ITTF should give us a clear_cut guidance about how can we proceed when there is a strong disagreement between the players about tha ball type to play with.
A SITUATION POSSIBLE: I offer celluloid ball for a match as I hate the plastic sound badly, and my rival does favour the PB's higher bounce. How can we resolve this conflict to the best mutual pleasure???
By tossing the lot or what?

Waiting for your possible solution.
bingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2013 at 10:08pm

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keepexistingtabletennisballs/
Yasaka Galaxya
FH Xiom Vega Asia
BH Dragon Talon
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by alborz alborz wrote:

i think they are not bacuse i find at this link: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=17269
that ITTF said:
This is just at the manufacturing level for approval and does not affect the players in any way.
will look and feel exactly like the current balls.
they will be made of a special composite material, which will sound, feel and look like celluloid.
All the current parameters as far as size, weight, bounce, etc., will be the same as now.

and because this balls are not the final production ITTF will ban celluloid at 1st of july 2014 instead  of this year after Olympic games.
 so it is really good that we don't need to change our equipment and style!Smile

And herein lies the problem.

People believe what the ITTF HOPES for the new poly ball.

The ball reviewed was a "pre-view" ball if you will. This ball doesn't come close to any of the ITTF's statements.

Again...they still have until July 2014 to come up with something.

Still....no REASON to change...again!
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 11:16am
i think they are not bacuse i find at this link: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=17269
that ITTF said:
This is just at the manufacturing level for approval and does not affect the players in any way.
will look and feel exactly like the current balls.
they will be made of a special composite material, which will sound, feel and look like celluloid.
All the current parameters as far as size, weight, bounce, etc., will be the same as now.

and because this balls are not the final production ITTF will ban celluloid at 1st of july 2014 instead  of this year after Olympic games.
 so it is really good that we don't need to change our equipment and style!Smile
Balde : Donic Epox Control
Forehand : Donic BlueFire M1 (Black / MAX)
Backhand : Donic Vario Big Slam (Red / MAX)

Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 8:14am
the ball you reviewed was the final production haggisv ???

Old-Man-Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2012 at 1:17pm
Maybe I need to find a new sport where they don't intentionally try to ruin it every few years...
--- Push/Chop or Attack ---

Blade: TT Piet Off/All Custom 5 ply

FH: Rakza 7

BH: DTec.S Long pips

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48168
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2012 at 11:41am
why ittf wants to destroy TT with changing the rules so fast?
when celluloid balls will replace by this new ball?
when rules change some of the great pro players can't play as good as before so let's hope that it never happends.

Edited by alborz - 10/20/2012 at 12:07pm

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 5:05pm
Maybe since the balls are more smooth they do not grab the table or the air when spinning, therefore not producing any of the dips or curves we are used to. 
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic