FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blocking Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 6:48pm
Thanks, Baal. 100% agree.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Well I think a passive block is the basis to deal with a heavy spin loop. If you can block the heavy topspin consistently you can start to be more agressive. Pingskills and geardaddy are saying the same thing. Telling someone who has problems with blocking heavy topspin to be agressive is the same thing as telling a beginner how to counter loop when he can not even counter hit properly.

Perhaps a better phrasing than blocking aggressively would be to tell them to block more firmly. But blocking is a lot more basic than looping; even a beginner can quickly learn to block firmly, and see how the spin from a loop takes on his paddle less, and thereby gain consistency. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I am a TERRIBLE blocker and have no business giving advice on how to block a heavy topspin, but I'll throw this video into the ring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYnXr3n0RT8

Thoughts?

What they are demonstrating in this video, and what the opening posting asks, are different things. The opening poster isn't a beginner - he even asked if he should try counterlooping against slow, spinny loops. If all he wants to do is pop the ball back weakly, where he's not worried about popping the ball up, then all he has to do is stick his racket out and block back softly, and he'll develop a consistent but weak blocking game. The spin would take on his racket more, so he'd have less control, but if he just pops the ball back weakly then the very slowness of his return would keep it on the table. If he wants to make an effective block that hits consistently, then he needs to block more firmly (i.e. more aggressively). 

If he puts a little pace on the ball but not too aggressively in a misguided attempt to be consistent, that's when it'll probably go off the end over and over. That's why beginners and intermediate players have so much trouble with slow, spinny loops. Instead, they need to block more firmly, more aggressively, so the blocks are both consistent and effective. 

You can go for a soft and low block by just sticking the racket out with a more closed angle, but this is harder to control than if you block more firmly, and will tend to pop balls up. Since the spin takes on the racket more, you have to get the racket angle almost perfectly right, while you have more leeway if you block firmly and somewhat aggressively. (On the other hand, a slower, dead block that stays low is rather easy with most non-inverted surfaces, or with less lively or less grippy inverted surfaces.) 

The video is showing something different, i.e. teaching beginners how to adjust their racket angle against heavy topspin. However, where he says the racket does not move forward, I disagree. I saw this video a few years ago when I first started my blog, and chose not to link to it for that reason. While you can block that way, it's teaching a rather poor habit, and makes things more difficult for beginning and beginning/intermediate players. A more firm block, with the racket moving forward, is easier and more consistent in making decent blocks (not pop-ups), since spin takes on it less. Players with very good slow, spinny loops usually struggle with players who block aggressively as that mostly counteracts their topspin. 

At my club, we have eight full-time coaches, seven of them from China, two former Chinese national team members, the rest former province team members. (I'm the lone non-Chinese full-time coach.) All teach blocking against spinny loops with a firm, aggressive stroke. When I slow loop in practice matches with the kids, they are taught to block aggressively (or counterloop), and they have been pretty successful in this. When they block off, over and over the Chinese coaches tell them to block more aggressively. It is against faster loops that you can mostly just stick your racket out and play off the opponent's own pace. 

When I face an inverted player who just sticks his racket out to block my loop, I'm not going to feed into this by trying to loop hard with my opening loop; I'm going to throw my slowest, spinniest loop deep on the table, and watch them block off or pop it up. I can also mess up these type of blockers by varying my spin (even dead loops) as they have to get their racket angle almost perfect to make an effective block, and that's not easy against heavy or varying spin. 

I think the opening poster was asking how he could block these spinny loops back consistently so he could win the point, not so he could just pop the ball back and hope for the best. Otherwise I'd tell him to just block as weakly as possible so the ball pops back on the table, slow but high. Instead, he should block more firmly, which will lead to consistent and effective blocks. 

-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2014 at 11:15pm
Aha! Lots of great advice, that' exactly how it is.
I also feel, similarly to what Baal has posted here earlier, that wording does get in the way a little, at least for me and all the other less-than-very-advanced players. 
It looks like that, in order for me to effectively block a heavy topspin loop, the heavy spin that is on the incoming ball must be in contact with the surface of my racket for as short a time as possible, hence a "short lasting", or a fast, or an aggressive, or a firm block will work well...
For the reason that a longer contact gives to the incoming strong spin a chance to do the damage, a soft block, a slow block, or a gentle block will be more difficult. Hence, one must be fast and decisive during the contact when dealing with a slow heavy topspin. But, if I got it the right wayWink, it is the same as what was said previously in this thread.Embarrassed
Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball over a distance as I move the racket?

Edited by JacekGM - 05/20/2014 at 11:25pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:22am
Larry,

Thanks for the insight.  It always confused me how Wang Hao was able to block Zhang Jike's loop with such an open racket angle, as can be seen at the 1:02 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUg15ECMARE

But the fact of the matter is that Wang Hao is ACCELERATING at the point of contact, so much so that his block looks more like a counter than a block to me. 

vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:05am
Originally posted by JacekGM<br><div>Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a<b> fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball</b> over a distance as I move the racket?</div>

[/QUOTE JacekGM
Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball over a distance as I move the racket?
[/QUOTE wrote:

I am not a very good player but what I "figured out" is that simply just putting out the paddle and block a spinny loop ain't enough. I learned that I have to make the who

I am not a very good player but what I "figured out" is that simply just putting out the paddle and block a spinny loop ain't enough. I learned that I have to make the whole stroke and "guide" the ball, almost pushing it down. It is very disruptive for the attacker because the ball sinks quite low as you push it down. Against consistent loopers and at higher levels, it's not as effective and it's better to counterloop/smash it but I think this method works up to at least 2000.
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Larry,

Thanks for the insight.  It always confused me how Wang Hao was able to block Zhang Jike's loop with such an open racket angle, as can be seen at the 1:02 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUg15ECMARE

But the fact of the matter is that Wang Hao is ACCELERATING at the point of contact, so much so that his block looks more like a counter than a block to me. 

Those backhand blocks of Wang Hao are exactly what I've written about. Because he's hitting the ball firmly, not just sticking his racket out there, he doesn't have to close his racket as much. Since the range of angles needed is less, he has more control and more consistency at a good pace, In a game situation he'd be blocking more aggressively with almost the same racket angle (just a little bit more closed). Contrary to the video referenced earlier, where it showed blocking without the racket moving forward, here Wang Hao brings his racket back into position and then drives it forward through the ball. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:33am
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I believe one of the most essential things in blocking (especially high spin balls) is having your body in the proper position behind the ball. Being caught out of position, which happens easily when someone loops with varied speed/spin, makes blocking exceptionally more difficult. 

Edited by Pondus - 05/21/2014 at 8:33am
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:23am
Every time I hear of a player struggling with this I must chime in.  

A year or so ago I was having a lot of trouble blocking the super heavy topspin that would come from players slow-looping a push.  The ball is SO spinny, it seems impossible to close your racket enough.

TIP:  You DO need to close your racket, but maybe not as much as you think.  The reason why players have so much trouble blocking these, I think, is because they move their racket forward when trying to block.  When the ball is that spinny, any movement of the racket will send the ball flying off the table.  When you block, hold your racket very loose and COMPLETELY STILL.  You'll be able to get those ball back much easier.  It takes time to break the habit of moving your racket on every hit, but you'll get it.  It worked for me so well.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

A year or so ago I was having a lot of trouble blocking the super heavy topspin that would come from players slow-looping a push.  The ball is SO spinny, it seems impossible to close your racket enough.

TIP:  You DO need to close your racket, but maybe not as much as you think.  The reason why players have so much trouble blocking these, I think, is because they move their racket forward when trying to block.  When the ball is that spinny, any movement of the racket will send the ball flying off the table.  When you block, hold your racket very loose and COMPLETELY STILL.  You'll be able to get those ball back much easier.  It takes time to break the habit of moving your racket on every hit, but you'll get it.  It worked for me so well.

This might get the ball back, but it won't get it back particularly effectively, except as a change-of-pace. At higher levels, you need to put some pace on your shot. You won't get that by holding the racket completely still and relying on the incoming spin to rebound it out fast enough. That'll work against faster loops, but not against slow, spinny ones. Watch videos of higher-level players, and you'll see how they do move their racket forward as they punch the ball out. There's nothing magical or difficult about it. But if you find this successful for you, then by all means continue and I won't argue with you. (Have you watched a video of yourself to see if you really hold the racket absolutely still?)
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

This might get the ball back, but it won't get it back particularly effectively, except as a change-of-pace. At higher levels, you need to put some pace on your shot. You won't get that by holding the racket completely still and relying on the incoming spin to rebound it out fast enough. That'll work against faster loops, but not against slow, spinny ones. Watch videos of higher-level players, and you'll see how they do move their racket forward as they punch the ball out. There's nothing magical or difficult about it. But if you find this successful for you, then by all means continue and I won't argue with you. (Have you watched a video of yourself to see if you really hold the racket absolutely still?)
-Larry Hodges

I understand what you mean Larry, but I think describing the motion as you've said where you just hit "firmly" is not a very good description of the right motion.  The mistake being made by those having trouble with the slow spinny loop return is that they move their racket forward into the block as if they were trying to flat hit the ball.  I think what you are describing as the correct motion is different, where you close the paddle angle and you are actually going up over the top of the ball as you move the racket forward to counteract the spin on the ball.  If this same motion was magnified it would become a full counter-loop return.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

-Larry Hodges

I understand what you mean Larry, but I think describing the motion as you've said where you just hit "firmly" is not a very good description of the right motion.  The mistake being made by those having trouble with the slow spinny loop return is that they move their racket forward into the block as if they were trying to flat hit the ball.  I think what you are describing as the correct motion is different, where you close the paddle angle and you are actually going up over the top of the ball as you move the racket forward to counteract the spin on the ball.  If this same motion was magnified it would become a full counter-loop return.

The main difference between a block and a regular stroke is that when blocking, you cut down on the backswing and focus on taking the ball quick, and then push the racket through the ball. This is what top inverted players do when blocking (though some use more backswing to increase the speed and spin of their block), and it's easy to counter the spin this way. Others want to have no forward motion, and keep the ball on the table by simply hitting the ball softer, i.e. they are forced to do a weak shot that's mostly good as a change of pace. With modern sponges, you can more easily do this while also topspinning the ball, but you can also do this with only a light topspin, i.e. blocking almost flat with a punch block. When you block with inverted against a spinny loop, the incoming topspin rebounds out as topspin, meaning it essentially goes out like any other drive with topspin, and so you can put pace on the ball like any other topspin shot and still be consistent - and as I've pointed out, by blocking firmly or aggressively, the spin takes less on your racket. This leads to a very consistent block, where the ball goes wherever you direct it, and where you don't even have to close your racket that much, as demonstrated in video shown earlier by Wang Hao. However, others have differing views on this. Let's leave it at that. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:29am
I think I'm beginning to understand what Larry means with his firmly hit block. If I'm not mistaken Larry is basically saying to block on top of the bounce and point to the direction where you want the ball to go( push slight forward and down meaning not to hold your racket still completely but to guide the ball with your wrist. This is just basic blocking technique. I actually still consider this a passive block and not a agressive firmly hit block or whatever. For me an agressive block is a block where you not only guide ball but really hit through the ball. What I was trying to say that that is risky against very heavy topspin if you can not do the block that I would describe as passive. Swiff is making a valid point also when he says that people make mistakes when moving the racket too much forward> I think what he means is that if you move your racket before the ball is on it's highest point you can not control the topspin so in that case it's better to wait and block on top of the bounce. I agree with Geardaddy on this that Larry might use the wrong terminology.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I think I'm beginning to understand what Larry means with his firmly hit block. If I'm not mistaken Larry is basically saying to block on top of the bounce and point to the direction where you want the ball to go( push slight forward and down meaning not to hold your racket still completely but to guide the ball with your wrist. This is just basic blocking technique. I actually still consider this a passive block and not a agressive firmly hit block or whatever. For me an agressive block is a block where you not only guide ball but really hit through the ball. What I was trying to say that that is risky against very heavy topspin if you can not do the block that I would describe as passive. Swiff is making a valid point also when he says that people make mistakes when moving the racket too much forward> I think what he means is that if you move your racket before the ball is on it's highest point you can not control the topspin so in that case it's better to wait and block on top of the bounce. I agree with Geardaddy on this that Larry might use the wrong terminology.

+1 Exactly

I don't quite buy the argument that by hitting more firmly you take away spin from the ball.  You can "punch" into the ball with the block, but you still have to deal with the spin which means you must change the angle that you go through the ball to be more downward.  It can be very hard to do this sort of block though if the loop is at a low angle or is very deep.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:07pm
I did a search on youtube for "table tennis block," and this video came up that shows a block against a  loop. I didn't listen to the long explanation, but went straight to the demo (250 seconds in, link should take you straight there), where it is shown exactly the way I've been describing it. Little backswing, right off the bounce, racket only slightly closed, with a firm forward motion to direct the ball where he wants it to go. 

Here's Wang Hao blocking. (Link should take you 57 seconds in where he starts to demo it.) Note how his racket moves forward as he blocks. 

Here's Kenta Matsudaira blocking. He may be the best blocker in the world right now. Again, note how his racket moves forward when he blocks. Yes, these are world-class players, but that's why I put up the first video, since that was more of 

Here's Yan An (on left) blocking against Ma Long. At the start (first three rallies) he's mostly just blocking (though he counter-topspins a few). On the ones he blocks note how the racket moves forward. 

There are many more videos - these are just some of the first that came up. Yes, these are world-class players, but blocking is a pretty basic shot, done pretty much the same at all levels, except of course at the world-class level they block a little harder. But as the first demo shows, this is standard at all levels. 

Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? 

-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 05/22/2014 at 9:44pm
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

I don't quite buy the argument that by hitting more firmly you take away spin from the ball.  You can "punch" into the ball with the block, but you still have to deal with the spin which means you must change the angle that you go through the ball to be more downward.  It can be very hard to do this sort of block though if the loop is at a low angle or is very deep.

It doesn't take spin off the ball; the spin takes less on the racket, and then it rebounds out as topspin, making it easy to control at a relatively fast pace. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:14pm
I've posted enough on this topic. At this point, players will have to just look at the videos and try these things out on their own. If something different works for you, then by all means do it, and please post a video. (I might comment on that.)
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 05/21/2014 at 12:14pm
www.MDTTC.com
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:33pm

I've posted enough on this topic. At this point, players will have to just look at the videos and try these things out on their own. If something different works for you, then by all means do it, and please post a video. (I might comment on that.)
-Larry Hodges

If you read my last post you will see that I understand what you mean and I agree. That way of blocking gives a very consistent block. Like Baal said begore I think the words got in the way and we agree after all.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 1:11pm

-Larry Hodges
Larry,
Thanks for all the suggestions it's been very informative and helpful!Clap
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 4:30pm
The trouble with advice on this subject is related the the standard and potential of the player. In lower levels, and with a player who is not potentially going to get much higher, the best advice is to cover the ball with a closed bat face and early contact and little forward movement, Its not fashionable and correct for higher level modern TT, but correct for that standard of play if you are looking for results and consistency. Some coaches get obsessed with what is correct at the high levels, neglecting what is possible at the lower levels.
The Older I get, The better I was.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I have to say, being a child of the 38mm ball, I am guilty ( along with many other older players) of treating heavy topspin with too much respect out of habit, especially when under pressure. The top kids who have only ever known 40mm rip through heavy loop like they are shelling peas, its quite disconcerting. 

Hehe, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like stopping them and telling them "don't you know that you can't do that"!
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 7:42pm

The trouble with advice on this subject is related the the standard and potential of the player. In lower levels, and with a player who is not potentially going to get much higher, the best advice is to cover the ball with a closed bat face and early contact and little forward movement, Its not fashionable and correct for higher level modern TT, but correct for that standard of play if you are looking for results and consistency. Some coaches get obsessed with what is correct at the high levels, neglecting what is possible at the lower levels.

I get what you're saying about levels, but I think for every level there are active and passive blockers (the person might not have Yan An's block, but at the same time he isn't facing Ma Long).

Apart from basically relying on the opponent to miss to win points if you block passively, one of the major issues with the block where you just put the bat there is performance under pressure.

It was much worse with the 38mm ball, but even now it's difficult to keep the necessary "dead" hands while dealing with an incoming heavy topspin on a big point. Most people have an involuntary flinch (similar to the golf yips) in this situation, whereas I think it's easier to play your normal game on a big point if you are an active blocker.

I remember some pretty good players occasionally blocking the ball back almost over their opponent's head when trying to block a slow heavy topspin on a big point in the 38 mm days!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:04pm
I still argue that if your feet are in the right place your hands will kind of naturally play the ball on blocks since you will subconsciously get the right angle.  Too much thinking is bad.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:32pm

I guess we differ on this. I think the blocking technique taught and shown in the video I linked to above is pretty basic, and appropriate to beginner levels. I know I teach it pretty successfully to beginners, both juniors and adults. (I just finished teaching a 10-week adult beginning class - I've taught many of them - and I teach beginning juniors all the time.) Anyway, if you are successful coaching it a different way, then I'm not going to argue it. I also hope I'm not one of those coaches who are "obsessed" with what is correct at the high levels (except for those striving for high levels) - if so, I better not teach that adult beginning class any more. Smile
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:00pm

As LarryTT mentioned above, and I fully agree, an aggressive block of a spinny loop does not seem to be THAT difficult to learn for us grassroot players. It can be quite spectacular, too, hence the incentive to have it in one's arsenal. Unfortunately, this shot is practiced too little where I play.
Here is another video (posted on another thread yesterday by zeio) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPi4FSX05A
It is a recent Waldner vs Saive, so obviously we have good blocking against good looping here... see yourself for the result...

Edited by JacekGM - 05/22/2014 at 10:16pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:45pm
Thank you everyone for the responses!

I'm really looking to keep improving in my game so I'll try break in the habit of aggressive blocking and counterlooping. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 2:18am
It is all subject to the quality/depth/placement and amount of spin on the incoming loop, and for the right ball, the aggressive block has to be correct, but at match point down against a player who has thrown up a carrott, I know what I do. At match point up its the other option. 
In my experience, lower to mid level players lose matches regularly because they block inconsistently against slower heavy topspin, when making the opponent play another stroke could be enough to tip the balance.
Most well structured players I know, use consistent low risk topspin to comfortably beat lower rated players, as you climb the standards though, its far less effective.
The Older I get, The better I was.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I still argue that if your feet are in the right place your hands will kind of naturally play the ball on blocks since you will subconsciously get the right angle.  Too much thinking is bad.

+1

I believe that in blocking (and just about any shot) when you are in good position (for blocking you step up to the ball and look over it from above and behind)... when you do this, it just gets easier / more instinctive.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 6:44pm

I did a search on youtube for "table tennis block," and this video came up that shows a block against a  loop. I didn't listen to the long explanation, but went straight to the demo (250 seconds in, link should take you straight there), where it is shown exactly the way I've been describing it. Little backswing, right off the bounce, racket only slightly closed, with a firm forward motion to direct the ball where he wants it to go. 

Here's Wang Hao blocking. (Link should take you 57 seconds in where he starts to demo it.) Note how his racket moves forward as he blocks. 

Here's Kenta Matsudaira blocking. He may be the best blocker in the world right now. Again, note how his racket moves forward when he blocks. Yes, these are world-class players, but that's why I put up the first video, since that was more of 

Here's Yan An (on left) blocking against Ma Long. At the start (first three rallies) he's mostly just blocking (though he counter-topspins a few). On the ones he blocks note how the racket moves forward. 

There are many more videos - these are just some of the first that came up. Yes, these are world-class players, but blocking is a pretty basic shot, done pretty much the same at all levels, except of course at the world-class level they block a little harder. But as the first demo shows, this is standard at all levels. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? </span>

-Larry Hodges

I can't open Wang Hao, Kenta and Yan An videos. I am the only one?

Edited by Makelele - 05/22/2014 at 6:45pm
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? </span>

-Larry Hodges

I can't open Wang Hao, Kenta and Yan An videos. I am the only one?

Its because the URLs are including the http protocol twice
eg this is wrong:-http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI
this works:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI
viz

testurl

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 05/22/2014 at 7:03pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max