Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendations for a badminton racket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for a badminton racket
    Posted: 03/12/2010 at 1:15am
Sorry if this is way out of topic.  But I think quite a few of you guys also play badminton.   What would be a good badminton racket for beginner?  I m not really a beginner but I haven t played badminton for 15+ years.  Among wife and kids, tennis, and table tennis, I may give up after a few sessions so I don t want to spend too much ($50-$80 or less).  TIA.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2010 at 1:29am

I gave up t/t for badminton in Canada from 1989 - 2002 and only resumed playing t/t and gave up badminton since 2002 Fall. I ve been using those all-time classics like Yonex Carbonex 8, 9, 10 & 20 and also have couple of cheapies, Isometric Muscle Power 62 & Aerotus 110 Wide body head. I know what I ve are not the latest & greatest technologies but good enuf for me and my boy. We seldom play but I believe I still have it, I m getting a little older Embarrassed and can t react & move as fast or/and my reflexes are not there as before, but once in a while I still luv this racket sport, incl. Squash alot, yeah...Squash? I still have 2 Head Titanium Ti 140/180 someth n...I d go to SportChek or SportMart to pick any 1 of those Carbonex"es" or Muscle Power latest or whatever affordable now.......

IMHO, 1 hour of Badminton is more exhausting and/or better workout for me than 3 hours of t/t...
And Squash, 45 mins a session lasts so so long, I m basically dead & gotta be carried out after going all out for 45 mins and need at least 3 days to recupurate....Ouch
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2010 at 11:57am
The carbonex series are out off my price range.  Do you familiar with the Yonex Nanospeed series?  such as Nanospeed 200?  And what shuttles are decent?  I don t want to show up with an equivalence of a Stiga * ball.
rosalind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosalind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2010 at 10:12pm
If you want good feel and is serious with your game, Yonex is still a better choice.
The latest range is nanospeed or armortec. Lee Chong Wei is using Armortec 900. In case you are a fan of him.
It might cost $300+ a piece but is worth the every cent you pay.
I bought YangYang musclepower long ago for about 100 and same range from Yonex cost about 300. I can feel, I play better when using Yonex.
It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
Badminton Racket
ErikaT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2010 at 10:36pm
i think anything that is light enough will do. there are many out there which are within yor budget
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2010 at 10:50pm
My favourite Badminton racket is old version of Yonex Titanium Ti-10 , Feels head heavy, easier to smash.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 12:55am
I didn t get any more suggestion and ended up buying a Yonex Nanospeed 200 a while back.   Since then I have played ... one time, and it was terrible.  I couldn t exert much power on the shuttle, yet managed to hit it long most of the time.  
perelman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 1:20am
yonex muscle power is good too...
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 4:38am
I remember playing badminton when Carbonex 7 & 8 were popular.  I have long quit.

Recently I was looking at badminton rackets and found that now they have the option of (1) flexible, (2) medium and (3) stiff.

Can anybody explain, what flexible / medium / stiff for?   Let s say if you are good near the net, which one you choose?   If you are all out attacker with good smash, which one you choose?

It is funny how they have those categories, much like table tennis blades.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 4:41am
What are the differences between different racquets like from say a cheap $10 racquet? What do better rackets give you? and different strings?
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 9:51am
hey tiewhen you still have a cab 20 racket prob one of the best rackets ever made better than some of these new ones they have out.anyways www.eacheng.net are now selling badminton rackets (kason) these are actually good rackets for a good price
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2010 at 10:30am
yeah...Cab 20 is indeed the best I ve played with. My younger bro s gem/main racket. When he s not using/playing, I always like to borrow his. I hope to go to West side of Vancouver where there s an old thrift sport equip. store to check whether I could find gems like those. I got my Squash rackets and he got his Cab. 9 there as well but he gave that to my Sunny. I m still using Iso. M/Power, IMHO, ok but no match for that Classic.
cw6ssays View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw6ssays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 5:37pm
Personally, I like the Yonex Voltric ZF2 http://bestoutdooritems.com/best-badminton-rackets/  but it sure isn t cheap, and kind of power racquet is really personal preference if you are looking for more of a smashed racket..you should go for extra-stiff rackets..so when you generate the right amount of wrist power, the racket will generate its power as well giving you a huge hit.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 7:07pm
I have a ZF2.

I really wouldn t recommend it for beginners. It took me quite a while to get used to it, even though I m a strong player, its got a small racquet head, and basically the timing window is far tighter than most other racquets to boot. Basically, although obviously an exaggeration, i see it as more of a federer racquet. If you have great timing, you will reap great rewards, if you don t, its a terrible racquet for you

Out of OP s budget...although they probably will unfortunately be on the market for a new racquet since they don t like the nanoray 200.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic