Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Difference between tt shoes and indoor court shoes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Difference between tt shoes and indoor court shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between tt shoes and indoor court shoes
    Posted: 07/22/2012 at 1:51pm
What is the difference between indoor court shoes (eg. for badminton and squash) and tt shoes? Do tt shoes really have an advantage over court shoes?
GO MUSTANGS!
Sponsored Links

Mahdi_mak2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi_mak2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 3:44pm
No diff I guess.
I am using li ning cg 100
it is great. way better than mizano ones.
BTY Viscaria
BH : Tenergy 05
FH : Tenergy 05
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 5:08pm
all similar shoes but sometimes the non Table tennis shoes can weigh a lot more
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 6:06pm
TT shoes are court shoes. In fact I think some Butterfly shoes are a straight rebrand of Asics (?) court shoes. But TT shoes do tend to be the lighter and thinner soled versions. 

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 6:09pm
I preffer table tennis shoes. They are more comfortable and gripply plus lighter and have ventilation. I have butterfly win-5
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 7:18pm
I think its mostly grip weight issue. Ventilation is almost the same or even worse in some cases. I have been using shoes for volleyball Asics Gel-something for 2-3 years and i am very happy with them. Absorption is the best i ever had - i have problems with my knee and my back - and ventilation is also excellent. Weight is normal or a tiny bit above. Grip is perfect too. Durability is from outer space, what more can i say... volleyball shoes rule!
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:21am
I use table tennis shoes but I also play badminton and so I thought about just buying badminton shoes. I had been told before I bought my pair of table tennis shoes, and rightly so, that they often times don't have very good soles. I bought the Donic Speedflex shoes, (the only pair I could find in mens 11.5) and had to buy insoles to throw in there as well. Especially when I played Jpen and footwork was a huge must. From what I've been told, since both badminton and volleyball shoes are made for jumping, they have much more support than table tennis shoes and weigh much more as well. I haven't gotten to try either type of shoe but it makes sense. 
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:53am
I prefer TT shoes because they are very flexible at the front and let you dig your toes in more.  If you play on a really hard surface, though, like tile or concrete, it is possible that you would take too much of a pounding.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

TT shoes are court shoes. In fact I think some Butterfly shoes are a straight rebrand of Asics (?) court shoes. But TT shoes do tend to be the lighter and thinner soled versions. 

Asics TT shoes look like their court shoes but they are not at all the same.  Their true TT shoes are much more flexible -- and at the same time provide less cushion. Some of the high-end Butterfly TT shoes are a straight rebrand but of their TT shoes, not of their court shoes.  I have tried all of three of these (Asics TT, Butterfly TT, and Asics court) and know from direct experience.  Actually, if some part of my back or lower body is sore because I have been playing too much, I will use the Asics court shoes and have a light training day.  Otherwise I use the Asics TT shoes.  When Butterfly adds their label, they double the price. 

Edited by Baal - 07/23/2012 at 12:00pm
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:59am
I asked about this to some Chinese coaches in Shenzhen. One reply was that badminton shoes work differently. Those guys have to leap in the air, and land. Also much footwork in ping pong involves sticking the feet and rotating about the ball of the foot. If you look at the soles of some of the good shoes, e.g. Mizuno top of the line, there are concentric circles about the ball of the foot. When I showed one coach my shoes wearing thin, he said I was wearing out the wrong part of the shoe, nearer the outside of the ball of the foot, not the concentric circles.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 4:51pm
Sandiway...I have been wearing badmitton shoes the past year and although they are pretty good, they definitely don't feel as good as tt shoes for moving laterally.  They are a bit more stiff than tt shoes, so I agree there are differences.  I'm gonna try the new Joola shoes when I get a chance.
Dave
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 6:12pm
What about squash shoes?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 7:23pm
No difference, It all depends on the floor. Real good gum rubber soles are the best.
The Older I get, The better I was.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2012 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

they definitely don't feel as good as tt shoes for moving laterally.  They are a bit more stiff than tt shoes, so I agree there are differences.  I'm gonna try the new Joola shoes when I get a chance.

Yes, the make or break feeling for ping pong shoes comes with footwork drills.

I've owned quite a few shoes, including the nearly $200 Butterfly ones. But nothing for me surpasses the top of the line Mizunos. (I've tried lower end Mizunos too.) I now have bought 3 pairs of the Wave Drive Ace. To me this is the perfect shoe, I don't think about the shoe at all when I'm moving or doing drills. And I think that is the best compliment possible.

And afterwards, even after a heavy duty session of 3 hours, my feet are never sore. With other shoes, that was never true.

Sandiway

garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 9:23am
I use some cheaper handball shoes. I can say that I no more have problems with knees, as I had before, when used indoor football shoes with thin sole. But probably reactions slower due to big cushion.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 11:17am
I use volleyball shoes for the cushion since my knees are bad..... I have to say although not crucial lateral support is not great great....
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic