Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DOFU: blade builder in the USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOFU: blade builder in the USA
    Posted: 04/28/2021 at 9:41am
nice looking wood - how do they play?
Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 2:19am
I wonder why the price is not in USDollar....
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 7:27pm
It is if you browse from the USA, I supposed Etsy website did a geolocation on your IP and adjusted the currency in use where you are.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2021 at 3:57am
Thank you for your information Thumbs Up
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

dyger View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 12:23pm
The prices seemed good so that raised suspicion but I guess ok.
So I sent an email to ask if they can make a blade with composite material like carbon or carbo-kev like that . I understand it could cost a little more. But I got no reply 

DM
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 12:43pm
yes, I did too to invite them to this thread with the same tesult.
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 12:56pm
Hello all, this is Dofu of Dofu Blades. I came here following the behest of user stilltt. I just wanted to introduce myself and also to address what I've seen in this comment thread. Dyger, I did receive your message and responded in the positive. Carbon is no problem and I've made several carbon blades. Size and shape are also easy to adjust as necessary. I suspect some messages through etsy messanger have gotten lost/not read/etc... I'd be happy to answer any questions here, however. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Dofu Dofu wrote:

Hello all, this is Dofu of Dofu Blades. I came here following the behest of user stilltt. I just wanted to introduce myself and also to address what I've seen in this comment thread. Dyger, I did receive your message and responded in the positive. Carbon is no problem and I've made several carbon blades. Size and shape are also easy to adjust as necessary. I suspect some messages through etsy messanger have gotten lost/not read/etc... I'd be happy to answer any questions here, however. 
Hi DOFU,

Welcome to the forums!

We like blades made with hide glue and, if some are intrigued and doubtful about its characteristics, other people swear  by it for the divine feel it offers and those are happy one blade designer is on it to carry the flame forward.

What made you go for hide glue? Were you ever in contact with the late Borko Dragojlovic, once the almighty hide glue guru for 5-ply flexy looping blades? 

Are you yourself a defensive player? Your offer on Etsy seems to indicate that.

Do you play in a club on a regular basis?

For how long have you been building blades?

I  can't wait to read more questions from forum members and your answers.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing pictures and comments about your work every once in a while, this is your new home ClapThumbs Up

Edited by stiltt - 05/10/2021 at 2:03pm
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 3:30pm
Hey thank you so much for your kind words and the warm welcome. To be honest, I've lurked around this and a few other TT forums for ages. In fact, I was somewhat surprised to find I already had an account here from 10 years ago haha. I'm a very shy person by nature, so I prefer to look before I leap into a space. But I'm here and I'd be happy to talk to you guys about what I do.

I knew the name Borko for a long time, but I never had the privilege to speak to him or try and of his blades. The style and quality of his work have been an inspiration, and I'm saddened by his passing. 

The choice of hide glue is an easy one. It's simply better than the alternatives in every meaningful category. The first blades I made were done using different types of wood glue, and they all felt terrible. All you could feel were muddy vibrations in your hand, and I just couldn't be happy with that. So after some reading and some tests, I settled on good ol fashioned hide glue for every blade. The difference in feeling is just so noticeable, as the whole blade face vibrates as one rather than as 5 or 7 separate layers held together against their will.

I do indeed play a classic chopping game away from the table. It suits my personality better than a more aggressive style. Perhaps due to that, I tend to focus on making mostly defensive blades. As a paddle becomes faster, my ability to get a good instinctual understanding of how and why it works diminishes. I'd barely be able to judge two different off+ blades, for example. I am, however, testing more and more all to off blades in my shop. And in fact I have just started an All+ line after outsourcing playtests to my more offense-oriented customers. 

I don't get out to the club as much as I used to, but that's mostly due to covid and a busy schedule. So I do most of my testing with a friend at home, or send experimental blades to customers who seem like they'd send honest feedback. 

I've been making blades for only about a year, starting during an extended lock down wherein I had lots of free time, money and energy to start making something. 

I hope everyone is doing well and getting some good exercise during this difficult time. I'm a quiet dude by nature but I enjoy talking with my customers about TT and what they like and don't like in blades. I'm always looking for feedback and inspiration.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 5:50pm
Hey Dofu 

A friend of mine is making some blades but has just been using wood glue. What exactly is hide glue and where can you get it?
Thanks 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2021 at 6:52pm
Oh ya hide glue is just glue derived from animal proteins. Usually sold in the form of little dry pellets. One simply has to add a little water to them and warm it up. I'm pretty sure online sites like amazon sells it in bags, but I've seen people use those rawhide dog treats aa well haha. Basically the same stuff. It's annoying to use and keep, so I actually recommend using the stuff in a bottle. Titebond makes a great, ready to use product. Great to just pour on and use a roller to spread it. Takes a while to cure, though. Like, a week at least.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 12:04am
Dofu, do you do blade modifications?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 7:58am
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 9:00am

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

Modify an existing blade-s head or handle shape/size.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 9:16am
Ohh I see what you mean. Yeah something like that isn't too difficult to do, but I must admit I don't have any plans to offer such a service. I've done a few of those for people, but restoration/modification isn't very fun or interesting, so I prefer to just make and sell for the time being. Maybe once I get a better shop I'll be more comfortable with manhandling other peoples' blades haha.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 9:26am
I am hoping that some handy TT dudes in the US would offer the service to change handle
dyger View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 11:30am

Oh ya hide glue is just glue derived from animal proteins. Usually sold in the form of little dry pellets. One simply has to add a little water to them and warm it up. I'm pretty sure online sites like amazon sells it in bags, but I've seen people use those rawhide dog treats aa well haha. Basically the same stuff. It's annoying to use and keep, so I actually recommend using the stuff in a bottle. Titebond makes a great, ready to use product. Great to just pour on and use a roller to spread it. Takes a while to cure, though. Like, a week at least.

So you don't use any epoxy ?  I heard they are much liter 
Someone recommended laminating epoxy .

BTW can you PM me your email ?
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2021 at 11:47am
Oh ya well I use an epoxy for composite layers, but that's basically out of necessity. 

And yeah anybody is free to email me at [email protected] 
Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2021 at 10:03am

Hey guys, been a little while since I posted here. Life is complicated! But I figured I would drop by and show you my latest project. I've been working on a line of defensive blades inspired by the Nittaku Violin/Violoncello. I call this line "Fortress".

Composition: Sen/Ash/Kiri/Ash/Sen

Head shape: Oversized (165×155mm)

Thickness: 5mm

Handle: Sraight (105×30mm) Sapele Mahogany and Obeche

Weight: 80 grams

Frequency: 900-920 Hz

Sen is a Japanese wood very similar to Ash. It's got all of the flexibility of ash, but it's a tad softer and at least in the case of this particular lot, lighter too. As an outer ply, it seems to work really well to take pace off the ball, especially on brushing strokes. Direct hits still wind up having a surprisingly high arc, I suspect due to ash's flex. All in all I'm pretty pleased with this formula and I just wanted to show off a bit haha. 

Dofu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dofu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2021 at 9:56am

Wanted to show you guys the most recent All+ blade I've been working on. I'm doing a whole line of these, with several done and more already glued up and waiting to be cut and put together. It's a pretty classic all-wood design.

Composition: Black Limba/Spruce/Obeche/Spruce/Black limba

Head shape: Standard (157×150mm)

Thickness: 5.8mm

Handle: Conical (105×33mm) Walnut, White Poplar and Fir

Weight: 95 (±2) grams.

Frequency: 1240-1250 Hz

I get my Spruce from a supplier from the Pacific Northwest, a guy who deals in Sitka and a few other varieties. This particular batch I'm using is usually used for instruments, so the tone is nice and clear. Really proud of this one.

Edited by Dofu - 07/31/2021 at 10:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic