Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disoriented after wiping my face

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disoriented after wiping my face
    Posted: 03/16/2007 at 2:39pm
I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but during a game, when I wipe the sweat off my face with my sleeve, I feel a little disoriented.

And then I feel that I need another minute to get back into proper focus.

Anyone else experience this at all, or am I really weird?

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Sponsored Links

loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 2:43pm
The onset of dehydration? Are you a smoker? I imagine anyone who plays much TT already knows how important it is to stay hydrated. It's the only thing that comes to mind. Do you feel light-headed when this happens, or do you just lose your focus?

At my age, I get disoriented just getting out of bed in the morning.
LOL
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 3:40pm
I get a similar problem after my body is at full temperature and sweat.    

When I wipe my face & eyes, I sometimes need to let my eyes settle (about 30 sec) so that they focus as clearly as they were before I wiped them.... I think this is due to having put pressure onto the eyeballs while wiping (with eyelids shut of course).   

I don't know what it is but its real.....then again my eyes are not getting any younger either.

minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 3:49pm
better have a towel and a bottle of water all the time, stay hydrated is the key,instead of wiping your sweat with your sleeves, if you are disoriented, call for a time out, you deserve to give it your best ever game.
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 3:52pm
you probably wiped your face with too much pressure. Just dip the sweat off, don't press too hard.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

I get a similar problem after my body is at full temperature and sweat.    

When I wipe my face & eyes, I sometimes need to let my eyes settle (about 30 sec) so that they focus as clearly as they were before I wiped them.... I think this is due to having put pressure onto the eyeballs while wiping (with eyelids shut of course).   

I don't know what it is but its real.....then again my eyes are not getting any younger either.

Phew, I guess I'm not the only one. I'm not getting any younger either, I'm over the hill at 23 yrs of age.

I'll try hydrating more too.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

Phew, I guess I'm not the only one. I'm not getting any younger either, I'm over the hill at 23 yrs of age.
Phew....I've been feeling like this 4 years n years n years...I'm glad u guys mentioned it...I can relax n go play some more now....thank god/buddha...Big%20smileEmbarrassed
PaperBlade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaperBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 4:42pm
I don't think dehydrate was the main cause

I think it is more because of temporary blackout due to low blood pressure that the blood missed one pulse and didn't get to your brain

You'll get the same sympton when you bend down to pick up the ball and bend up too quickly .... your brain got no blood for one quick tick, it's just like you cut the power to your computer for one million of a second ..... everything was just paused, then would be disoriented for your brain and would be a restart for your computer if the power was lost long enough

you may also get disoriented when pressing on your eyes balls when you were wiping your face

From my personal experience, I usually just wipe my face slowly to avoid that disorientation ..... I always look downward when doing that
forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 10:37pm
you should go for a medical check-up just in case there are other medical conditions. Table tennis is a game which requires high degree of concentrations, any minor health issues should be fixed first.
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 11:51pm
i frequently feel 'possesed' after a water break, so i think it is natural. you will take a while to get back into rhythm after a relatively long (5min or so) break.
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
kei123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kei123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 5:07am
I don't have this feeling. Maybe u need a energy drink.
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 8:44am
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

I'm not getting any younger either, I'm over the hill at 23 yrs of age.

LOL
Not only are you not over the hill yet, you're barely even approaching the hill.
If this problem continues you should definitely see your doctor. I'm almost twice your age and I've never had that feeling. Someone mentioned low blood pressure and that's a possibility too, and just as dangerous as high BP. Go to Shoppers Drug Mart and do the free test yourself-- it only takes a minute and will tell you a lot about your health. While it's true that there may be another cause for it, it's a good thing to be proactive.
Good luck...you old fart...
LOL
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2007 at 11:46pm
Sometimes I have this problem too. I use a wrist band so that I can wipe the sweat off. Unless you are playing a match with a referee, take few more secods of break between points.
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2007 at 12:20am
I wipe my face with my sleeves all the time with no problem.
weekdayhacker View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekdayhacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2007 at 7:21pm
It takes me a few seconds to reorient/refocus after closing my eyes for a few seconds between games - sweat or no sweat. 

But, it could be a beginning sign of a health problem - I would check with an eye doctor as well as get a general checkup to see if blood pressure and blood sugars are normal.
drnknboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drnknboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2007 at 7:19pm
This seems to be happening to more than one player in this forum.
Wonder if speed glue could be part of the cause.

Here is  part of a speed glue article published by the ITTF

Players are exposed to Volatile Organic Compounds each time they glue and to some extent throughout training or match play; potentially this can endanger health.

Working Group

The Glues Working Group which published its findings in Bremen on 28th April 2006 concluded that there were definite short and long term health risks of using glue which contained Volatile Organic Compounds

In the short term migraine, nausea, fatigue and a loss of co-ordination were possible results of over exposure to glues containing Volatile Organic Compounds whilst in the long term, the central nervous system could be affected and breathing problems may occur.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2007 at 2:52pm
Ummm...it's not a good idea to wipe the sweat from your hands...
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2007 at 3:06pm
i find im a little disorientated wiping my face after playing lots of matches. i think its to do with fatigue.
Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2007 at 8:59pm
I find that I get disoriented because of the saltiness of the sweat when it eventually gets into my eyes.  I can reduce or eliminate this problem by washing my eyelids and forehead with water in the washroom periodically.

Have you noticed some guys do that in regular washrooms (non-tt related)?  I do it even when I'm not playing to keep feeling fresh throughout the day.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic