Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tight or Loose Grip (Shakehand style)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tight or Loose Grip (Shakehand style)?
    Posted: 09/15/2008 at 11:23pm
What is the appropriate way to hold a paddle shakehand style?  Loose or tight grip?  I used to hold it loosely but then recently switch to hold it a little bit tigh, but I feel that I do not enough power, and wonder if I should hold it loosely.  But before switching to holding it loosely, I just wonder if it's the right way?

Would anyone tell me what is the right way to hold the paddle shakehand style and why?  Thanks!

FireHorse
Sponsored Links

DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 11:59pm
I dont know why u dont get power through holding it tighter i have prolems holding it to soft and get no power...

There is no real correct way to hold your paddle shakehand. Some people choke up, some people hold with their ffinger barely on the rubber. and some hold really sloppy loose or really tight right b4 hitting.

Its really just what u find is confortable.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

What is the appropriate way to hold a paddle shakehand style?  Loose or tight grip?  I used to hold it loosely but then recently switch to hold it a little bit tigh, but I feel that I do not enough power, and wonder if I should hold it loosely.  But before switching to holding it loosely, I just wonder if it's the right way?

Would anyone tell me what is the right way to hold the paddle shakehand style and why?  Thanks!

FireHorse

Holding it loose or relaxed (more correctly termed) would give you much less fatigue, hence conserving the energies.  You exert power as you build up the momentum near the moment of impact.  It will also help you to maintain your strokes form to reduce unforced errors (especially true for the short game and when you flip no spin or underspin balls close to the net).
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 2:38am
Its a personal choice. Do what feels right.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:27am
There is no right or wrong in Grip. People tend to do what is natural to them.
From my own experience holding your blade loosely will help your touch. On serve, return of serve, short game, blocking, lobbing and (spin oriented) looping, loose grip is the best way to go.
Smashing need a firmer grip though..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
BAND!T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAND!T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 8:22am
i hold my blade quite loosely with barely any pressure only from my thumb and forefinger. this allows me to "feel" where the blade is and improves my consistancy. i believe 2 major things in sports are to keep a loose and relaxed body, but a low and powerful stance. i also have a more shallow grip than i used to, and i feel more consistant, and also i have better feedback ffro mthe blade whether i am hitting the sweet spot or not. but this is from repeated experimentation. im still experimenting though as to place the blade in the base of the thumb, the base of the forefinger, or in between. good luck.
Gave up on V-Grip, SH smoother
Nittaku Noveliar [9 plies of powerthirst infused layers]
FH: BLACK Xiom Omega II Asian
BH: RED Stiga Boost TC
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 8:30am
you have no choice with shakehand, you have to tighten your grip or the blade flies out or is unstable on contact with the ball. it's only a question of whether you hold it tight all the time or tighten up only just before hitting.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 8:33am
i hold it like a jonyer, and my stance is like a low gorilla
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 10:42am
Hi all,

Thanks for your answers.  I think I hold the paddle tighter than it should be so I will try to relax and hold it loosely.  It could make the strokes and the shots less consistent (it's probably the other way around for other players), but I'll give it time.

I also find out that Wang Liqin and Ma Long hold the paddle relaxed and with the thumb rests on the rubber.  I hold it differently, with the thumb bends and rest on the handle.  When I try to have my thumb rests on the rubber, I feel that it helps my backhand but my forehand is kinda weak.  Probably I will need more time to play with it. 

Thanks again! Tongue

FireHorse
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 11:53am

You should go to Jorgen Persson's official website.  (Just google)  If I recall correctly, he explains specifically which fingers he uses to control the face of the blade.  It's basically the thumb and the index finger that are tightest and the rest just kind of wrap around.  Can't get any better coaching than that coming from a World Champion!

Of course, power in table tennis starts with the legs and ends with the wrist so you shouldn't grip your racket so tight that you're choking it.  Hope this helps.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

I also find out that Wang Liqin and Ma Long hold the paddle relaxed and with the thumb rests on the rubber.  I hold it differently, with the thumb bends and rest on the handle.  When I try to have my thumb rests on the rubber, I feel that it helps my backhand but my forehand is kinda weak.  Probably I will need more time to play with it.

If you are a FH oriented player than you should put your thumb approximately on the top of the handle, and like you said for a BH oriented player the thumb is push a bit more up and rest on the rubber.
But this is not a sure thing, you can change grip between FH and BH by moving your thumb up for BH and put it back on position on your FH.. This is a bit tricky because you need to have quick hand...
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2008 at 2:09pm
an older veteran at my club whos pretty good.. whenever he shows you how to hold shakehand he always says that you should hold it loose enough so that you can just take it right from his hand easily. Its still firm enough to keep it in your hand.. but it really helps with the whole "whipping" motion in your loops.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic