Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timo Boll ALC vs. Timo Boll Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
venacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll ALC vs. Timo Boll Spirit
    Posted: 01/13/2009 at 3:58pm
For people who have tried both blades, do you think the ALC is an upgrade from the Spirit? Besides the refined look, what is different about these two blades?
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 4:02pm
the price.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 10:42pm
I've got both, and coincidentally they're both 87.8 grams.

The Timo Boll ALC has a more comfortable handle. The TBS is nice, but it has a slight feeling of slipping out of my hand sometimes. With Tenergy (heavy rubbers) the TBS seems slightly more top heavy, or you could say the TBALC seems more balanced between the two. TBALC might be slightly faster, but I can't really tell, I'm only buying into the rumors on that point.

Both are very good investments. Even when I'm not playing with either of them, I don't regret owning them. Very good craftsmanship. However, they are so close in style, that there is the risk that someone might not want "two of the same blade".

venacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 10:47pm
So it seems as thought the new Timo Boll series is overrated
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by venacious venacious wrote:

For people who have tried both blades, do you think the ALC is an upgrade from the Spirit? Besides the refined look, what is different about these two blades?

ALC is better in every which way...  LOL
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 10:54pm
"So it seems as thought the new Timo Boll series is overrated"

I don't know about that. They needed to give the TBS a facelift and they did. And besides the look it plays a little bit better now too.

But if you already own a TBS, then it might not be worth "upgrading" to an ALC. If you like the TBS, but want something slightly different, the ZLF or ZLC or according to some posts on this forum lately, the T5000 might be more reasonable upgrades.

venacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2009 at 11:03pm
Oh I'm only in the lower ranks of an intermediate player at best switching to shakehand just 6 months ago and getting my real shakehand bat 2 months ago. I'm in a stage of reading up on the equipment reviews of forums. There's so much equipment out there its ridiculous.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 11:35am
Ya, its all about marketting, just ignore what the EJs here say, they all have a different opinion since no one has tryed everything, some are even blinded towards only one brand.  Just ignore price, some cheap equipment is just as good or even better than the 75$ rubbers or the 200$ blades.  Find something that works and stick with it
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
monkey401 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 10:17am
So I got a chance to test out two blades yesterday with palio macro era (Max) (the softer sponge) and Buttefly Catapult on the back.  I started out with the ALC and it was very fast and had no feeling.  After playing with it for three hours, I got a better sense of the blade. It had good block and counter game.  It has good touch for loop against underspin.   After 3 hours with the ALC, I tried the TBS, and !!!  What is a difference.  The difference is the feel.  The TBS is slower than the ALC.  It had more feedback, control, the blade was stiffer, you had to give a little more effort for the blocks (wasnt' as smooth as ALC).  The Palio rubber definitely now has a trampoline kick to it, which was missing from the ALC.  Weight was similar, I couldnt' tell the difference.  The head size is the same and the rubber sheet transfered perfectly.   Try both blades and use the one you like best.  Remember, just because Timo Boll or other top players use the ALC, doesn't mean it's a better blade for you.  With the rubbers I used, the TBS was better out of the two. 
runich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 10:48am
There was a thread in the forum about direct comparison between these two with side pictures etc. Anyone remembers the exact topic cause I don`t find it with the search function.
Aeros 1975 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeros 1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 11:14am

Speedy, can you write something more about T5000, please? Some info in terms of speed , stiffness, catapult (in compare with Spirit, Primorac Carbon etc. for example). Did you try it with T05? Classic Tamca�s are 3+2, T5000 is 5+2...

Ignito & Tenergy 05

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 5:44pm
Both are good blades, well built. However I find the TBS has a more solid feel to it. Very little vibration and good control. I played with the ALC for about an hour only and found it fast yes but it felt nothing like the TBS. It is a different blade. It had more feedback and a more woody feel. I did not play with it long enough to get use to it.

The T5000 is a wonderful blade.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 6:06pm
To me the TBS is a beautiful blade, well built and solid. No corners were cut where this blade is concerned hence the price you pay for it. This blade will go down as a classic. I do believe that you will have more people playing with this blade in the future than the TB ALC.

If for some reason Butterfly stops making this blade the price of a TBS is going to skyrocket within the first year just for it's collectors value and players young and old who would like to play with one of if not best arylate blades ever made.

For better, worst or similar the TBS is the yardstick that all other arylate blades are measured by.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic