Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grip Tape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip Tape
    Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:15am
Anyone using grip tape for your paddles? Anything you can recommend. I'd like something thin.

For now I use electrical tape, but as you can imagine its not the best alternative. Please share. I've looked at badminton and tennis and squash grip tapes, but they are usually thicker and there are a million of different kids.

Figured instead of going out on a 10 type shopping spree, I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks!
Back to table tennis...
Sponsored Links

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:36am
Butterfly Soft Grip Tape is quite thin.
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:38am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

Butterfly Soft Grip Tape is quite thin.
or nittaku's or any other manufacture's.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:47am
Anyone knows where I can order one?
Back to table tennis...
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 2:05am
i use tourna grip
it has my reccomendation
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Anyone knows where I can order one?
I use Athletic tape which is soft and thin. You could buy it at any sport store such as Sport Authority.

XxbOOmxX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxbOOmxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 9:21am
Try What a Grip, very comfortable and thin. Slip it on and play. Please note one package will be enough for two blades.

Acoustic FL
FH: IQUL 2.2
BH: Nimbus Soft 2.0 (about to kick the bucket)

http://tinyurl.com/ATTA-Club-Photos
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:00pm
butterfly is the best i`ve tried so far,soft,thin,it is shaped at the end so is easy to get the right angle for wrapping,available at www.presports.com
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 12:45pm
Butterfly offers 2 versions of grip wrap now.  One is alittle softer and thicker.  They are very light and feel awesome compared to tennis racket type of materials.  I would like to try the grip wrap offered by www.tabletennisonly.com to see how it feels.  Has anyone tried that one yet? 

So far, Butterfly's are the best. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 2:15pm

I highly recommend Wilson tennis grip that you can buy at Big5 stores. It looks a little bit like leather.

Foe US$3 (3 bucks!!!) I get 2 rolls and each roll can do 2 SH  blades (when rolling around the handle the grip goes over itself no more than 3mm).

It's thin, its light (you add 2 grams to the total weight) and it does not take feeling away too much.

So each blade for 75 cents and it lasts years...best value for sure!
porrotu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porrotu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2009 at 6:57pm
I second what a grip Ive tried it and its excelent

Originally posted by XxbOOmxX XxbOOmxX wrote:

Try What a Grip, very comfortable and thin. Slip it on and play. Please note one package will be enough for two blades.

Blade: Joola Chen Weixing
FH: Tenergy 64 1.9
BH: TSP Curl P1r 1.4-1.7
"Smash away ill just chop it back"
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2009 at 12:40am
Buy some medical tape at CVS, Stop & Shop...

That's what I'm using now. Being thin and not squishy, it doesn't kill the feel too much. I like it.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2009 at 12:54am
Originally posted by ppmax ppmax wrote:

Buy some medical tape at CVS, Stop & Shop...

That's what I'm using now. Being thin and not squishy, it doesn't kill the feel too much. I like it.
+1
I have used Butterfly grip, Tennis grip, then finally I use medical tape (Athletic tape). It is soft, thin and very comfortable. In addtion, the price is so cheap LOL
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I highly recommend Wilson tennis grip that you can buy at Big5 stores. It looks a little bit like leather.

Foe US$3 (3 bucks!!!) I get 2 rolls and each roll can do 2 SH  blades (when rolling around the handle the grip goes over itself no more than 3mm).

It's thin, its light (you add 2 grams to the total weight) and it does not take feeling away too much.

I specifically recommend Wilson Overgrip Pro Soft - for 5 bucks you get three grip tapes. They are soft, very light and wrap around beautifully. Very good grip feeling, too.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Soft_Overgrips/descpageACWILSON-WPSFTOG.html#

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2010 at 6:04am
In every shop who sells badminton, or squash equipment, there is a big choice of brands, colors and thickness. I normally go for the cheapest which is the thinnest and the least tacky.For better result I pull very well while wrap around the handle
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2010 at 3:18pm
I have used Wilson ultra thin for years. It´s thin, has nice grip and is quite cheap as well.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I normally go for the cheapest which is the thinnest and the least tacky.

Actually the tackier version of Wilson Overgrip is better - tacky setting on one I tried was 4 and there was no tackiness at all. Then it was 8 on Overgrip Soft and it was very very lightly tacky which is good cause at least the tape was not unwinding immediately once I have wound it a few times around the handle and started to attach it at the end.

So don't be afraid of tacky Wilson grip tape - but I cannot say the same about other tapes.

BUT: DON'T use black hockey tape! it is so tacky that it will literally pull finish and paint and even tiny slivers off of your handle.

ebah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2010 at 11:52pm
i am using the grip from Nittaku, it is great. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by ebah ebah wrote:

i am using the grip from Nittaku, it is great. 

Specialized TT grip tape are good - but they are overpriced. You are basically paying same price for Nittaku grip tape as you would have plaid for three tapes from Wilson.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I specifically recommend Wilson Overgrip Pro Soft - for 5 bucks you get three grip tapes. They are soft, very light and wrap around beautifully. Very good grip feeling, too.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Soft_Overgrips/descpageACWILSON-WPSFTOG.html#

This is what I use too.  The whole roll weight about 6 grams, but you only need to use about 1/2 roll per blade.  I use the whole roll to modify the FL handle to ST.  You can stretch the tape a little bit if you do not want the handle to be too thick.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 4:04am
Any recommendation for a grip tape that does not leave ANY mark on the handle? I need to make an experiment but don't want to spoil my Violin handle.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 5:35am
Use grip tape that doesn't have a sticky surface on the back.

You wind the grip around the handle; towards the end of the handle and then lay the final wrap, over the previous wrap.  Trim the wrap so it finishes flush to the end of the blade and use a bit of adhesive tape or a spot of glue to hold the final wrap wrap in place.

That way; you'll only have sticky tape or glue on two layers of the wrap, instead of it touching the handle.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 10:05am
Ah ok, so easy? I was assuming that all grip tapes were sticky on one side. Any brand/type to recommend?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 12:06pm
I use 'TournaGrip' and the blue painters' tape at the end.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 6:17pm
i hate grippy handles. I used a few grips just to make the handle thicker, but that made it too grippy and I had to remove it. I adjust my grip during play alot and need to be able to move the blade in my hand. Plus I really love the feel of wood in my palm.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I use 'TournaGrip' and the blue painters' tape at the end.

I use TournaGrip as well, it has my recommendation.
Viscaria
T05/T64
tabletennistips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2011 at 9:05am
butteffly soft grip
I have this and it is quite light and thin
hope this helps Clown
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

I really love the feel of wood in my palm.

That's what she said.

On another note:  anyone find it harder to grip the paddle when hands are dry in the winter?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 5:34pm
I don't like sticky adhesive grip tapes (which are usually blue).  Messy, hard to remove, not very effective.  I use a tennis overgrip (I like the ones made by Prince, but I use the minimum possible).  I have a comment about my experience with this in the thread titled Overgrip.

Edited by Baal - 02/01/2012 at 5:38pm
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2015 at 4:27pm
I used the Butterfly Rubber Grip (it's difficult to slip it on).  The best one is to use the Gamma grip tape for tennis racket.  It comes in 3 rolls.  You can use 1 roll for 2 paddles.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic