Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haifu "Tuner" AKA Preadhesive VOC-Free Glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haifu "Tuner" AKA Preadhesive VOC-Free Glue
    Posted: 05/20/2009 at 3:54am
Hi Folks, I get quite a lot of questions pertaining to this "tuner". Allow me to clarify a couple things.

Let me explain the Haifu "Tuner". It is actually not a tuning adhesive. That's my mistake for a bad translation. It is called a preadhesive glue.
In chinese pinyin, it's called "da di"

Haifu "Tuner" = a very elastic VOC-Free Water Based Glue.

Haifu asks you to put 4-10 layers of the "Tuner" over the sponge. Each layer adds onto the overall elasticity of the rubber. It does not expand the sponge nor does it change any properties of the sponge. The elasticity of the rubber as a whole is increased due to the elasticity of the glue layer. The more layers of elastic voc-free glue, the faster the rubber plays and the louder it clicks. Once again, let me reiterate that the Haifu "Tuner" DOES NOT CHANGE THE PROPERTIES OF THE SPONGE.

Directions on how to do your own factory tuning:

Add anywhere from 4-10 layers of Haifu Tuner onto your rubber and only 1 layer onto your blade. Each layer needs to be dry before putting on the next layer. You can tell that the glue is dry when the original color of the voc-free glue (white) becomes transparent. That's when you put on the next layer. Make sure you put on thin layers of the glue as it does dry faster and it will be smooth. Too much glue on one layer will cause lumps.

Tip: 1. Speed up the drying process by using a hairdryer to dry each layer. Use low power for the first 5 seconds to start the drying of the glue, when you notice that the glue is halfway transparent, you can put on high power to finish the drying process of that layer and start putting on your next layer.

2. spread the glue in one direction. Don't go back and forth. Use it like you are using Butterfly Free Chack or DHS VOC-Free Glue.

I personally only use 4 layers and it works well for me. The factory tuned versions of the Haifu Blue Whale II essentially comes with about 8-10 layers of the Haifu "Tuner" already applied onto the rubber. That's the only difference between BW2 Tuned and unTuned.

The elasticity of the glue lasts about 2-4 weeks depending on the frequency of play. After the glue becomes less elastic, you peel the rubber off the blade and peel the glue off the rubber. It comes off very easily and it doesn't rip off wood from the blade nor sponge from the rubber. (Butterfly Free Chack is known for damaging blade/rubbers when you peel it off). Then you make sure the sponge and blade are clean of any glue bits, and then you re-apply the layers of "tuner".
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 4:15am
so it is technically an adhesive then. just that after 8 layers, you'll be able to stick it on a blade correct?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:25am
You can stick it on with just 1 layer on the blade and 1 layer on the sponge. But that won't be thick enough for the elasticity to be noticeable. With only 1 layer, it's just regular VOC-Free Glue.

If you think about it, it's actually really cheap in price in comparison to Butterfly's Free Chack. (Can anyone tell that I really don't like Butterfly's Free Chack?)
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:40am
how much is it and how big is the haifu tuner bottle?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:49am
you can check my website. They come in 300ml and 1000ml refill bottles
Trottski View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trottski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:51am
Originally posted by cagaragesales cagaragesales wrote:

Hi Folks, I get quite a lot of questions pertaining to this "tuner". Allow me to clarify a couple things.

Let me explain the Haifu "Tuner". It is actually not a tuning adhesive. That's my mistake for a bad translation. It is called a preadhesive glue.
In chinese pinyin, it's called "da di"

Haifu "Tuner" = a very elastic VOC-Free Water Based Glue.

Haifu asks you to put 4-10 layers of the "Tuner" over the sponge. Each layer adds onto the overall elasticity of the rubber. It does not expand the sponge nor does it change any properties of the sponge. The elasticity of the rubber as a whole is increased due to the elasticity of the glue layer. The more layers of elastic voc-free glue, the faster the rubber plays and the louder it clicks. Once again, let me reiterate that the Haifu "Tuner" DOES NOT CHANGE THE PROPERTIES OF THE SPONGE.

Directions on how to do your own factory tuning:

Add anywhere from 4-10 layers of Haifu Tuner onto your rubber and only 1 layer onto your blade. Each layer needs to be dry before putting on the next layer. You can tell that the glue is dry when the original color of the voc-free glue (white) becomes transparent. That's when you put on the next layer. Make sure you put on thin layers of the glue as it does dry faster and it will be smooth. Too much glue on one layer will cause lumps.

Tip: 1. Speed up the drying process by using a hairdryer to dry each layer. Use low power for the first 5 seconds to start the drying of the glue, when you notice that the glue is halfway transparent, you can put on high power to finish the drying process of that layer and start putting on your next layer.

2. spread the glue in one direction. Don't go back and forth. Use it like you are using Butterfly Free Chack or DHS VOC-Free Glue.

I personally only use 4 layers and it works well for me. The factory tuned versions of the Haifu Blue Whale II essentially comes with about 8-10 layers of the Haifu "Tuner" already applied onto the rubber. That's the only difference between BW2 Tuned and unTuned.

The elasticity of the glue lasts about 2-4 weeks depending on the frequency of play. After the glue becomes less elastic, you peel the rubber off the blade and peel the glue off the rubber. It comes off very easily and it doesn't rip off wood from the blade nor sponge from the rubber. (Butterfly Free Chack is known for damaging blade/rubbers when you peel it off). Then you make sure the sponge and blade are clean of any glue bits, and then you re-apply the layers of "tuner".

Hi Albert, so what is the Brown bottle Haifu VOC free glue for then?
I thought this was supposed to be put on after 4-10 layers of the "Tuner"?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:58am
Hi Trottski,

The brown liquid bottle "Haifu VOC-Free Glue" is meant to be put onto the white liquid Haifu "Tuner". The brown bottle is currently not being manufactured and it seems that Haifu does not have any intentions of making anymore brown bottle Haifu VOC-Free Glue.

The brown liquid was actually had chemicals that gave speed glue effects on the rubbers. If you used the brown liquid on the sponge directly, it would dome the rubber. This is illegal. Instead, what Haifu did was have you put on another layer ("tuner" layer) and the brown bottle would actually tune the glue layer. Technically, you aren't changing the properties of the rubber, but my best guess is that since the brown bottle was bending the rules, Haifu pulled it off the market. The white glue (Haifu "Tuner") still works great without the brown liquid. I personally have been using just the "tuner" by itself for the past 4 months. Works fine.
Trottski View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trottski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 6:58am

Hi Trottski,

The brown liquid bottle "Haifu VOC-Free Glue" is meant to be put onto the white liquid Haifu "Tuner". The brown bottle is currently not being manufactured and it seems that Haifu does not have any intentions of making anymore brown bottle Haifu VOC-Free Glue.

The brown liquid was actually had chemicals that gave speed glue effects on the rubbers. If you used the brown liquid on the sponge directly, it would dome the rubber. This is illegal. Instead, what Haifu did was have you put on another layer ("tuner" layer) and the brown bottle would actually tune the glue layer. Technically, you aren't changing the properties of the rubber, but my best guess is that since the brown bottle was bending the rules, Haifu pulled it off the market. The white glue (Haifu "Tuner") still works great without the brown liquid. I personally have been using just the "tuner" by itself for the past 4 months. Works fine.

Many thanks
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 9:17am
this haifu da-di glue smells.. and after a few layers it does make your setup heavier. bear that in mind.
CL+H3+64
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 9:31am
bump
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 9:50am
I put 15 layers of the white/cream pre adhesive on a dead BWII and it made it a little faster. Nothing like the original factory tuning though.

Also, the original factory tuning that I peeled off was a brownish color.

Right now I've got a 3rd coat of that brownish Haifu VOC glue drying on my rubber. It domes like crazy and it takes a long time to dry. Its very oily. My guess is it will play more like the original factory tuning. But we'll see.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 11:43am
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I put 15 layers of the white/cream pre adhesive on a dead BWII and it made it a little faster. Nothing like the original factory tuning though.

Also, the original factory tuning that I peeled off was a brownish color.

Right now I've got a 3rd coat of that brownish Haifu VOC glue drying on my rubber. It domes like crazy and it takes a long time to dry. Its very oily. My guess is it will play more like the original factory tuning. But we'll see.

In addition the the 8-10 layers of preadhesive glue (white liquid), factory tuned finishes off the tuning with a layer of the VOC-Free Glue (brown liquid). Hence the brown color and the slightly more elastic and softer glue layer on the Factory Tuned rubbers.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the information cagaragesales, that's very useful!

I don't doubt your word, but question what Haifu has told you... I find it hard to believe that a thin adhesive layer between blade and sponge can create good glue effect... Also if the effect is just due to this thin layer, you should be able to apply it just to the blade, and get the same effect? The explanation sounds a little too convenient to me, as a way of justifying their 'tuner' as being legal...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 7:53pm
huh, as tempting as it all is, and as much as I want to beat certain people, I know my technique isn't good enough to make much use of any increased advantage glue or tuner would give me, no matter how legal it is. I already feel like my setup is too good for me and am thinking of downgrading until I get better form.

It's so tempting though, the use expander and tuner glue and optimizer, because no one here would know, but it wouldn't make me better, maybe the racket, but not me.
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 11:13am
your website doesn't say which size the tuner bottle is . ..

< method="post" ="https://order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?yhst-18313707657311+haoiltuprgl">
Item# haifutuner
Regular price: $39.99
Sale price: $29.99
Availability: Usually ships the same business day
< name="vwcatalog" value="yhst-18313707657311" ="">< name="vwitem" value="haoiltuprgl" ="">< name=".autodone" value="http://www.powerpingpong.com/haoiltuprgl." ="">

Product Description

Haifu Tuner / Oil / Pre-Adhesive glue. Tons of different names, but essentially it's the same thing. It's used by the China National Team and Provincial Team alongside with Blue Whale II and White Shark II for faster play.

This tuner acts like a very elastic VOC-Free Glue. There's no need to purchase another glue. Once this is tuned with 4-10 layers, you'll get a very elastic layer of glue ontop of the sponge.

Why is the price high? Most of the shipping costs are already included in the price.

saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 11:46am
Does it work on other than haifu rubbers?
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 12:59pm
Thank You Pdotec for pointing that out. Much appreciated
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

Does it work on other than haifu rubbers?

It will work on other rubbers as well, however it's made for rubbers designed in the post-speed glue era. It works best with Haifu Blue Whale II. Also works great with Tenergy 05.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 2:40pm

[QUOTE=saif]Also works great with Tenergy 05.

O.O  *eyes widen with horror at the thought of tuned Tenergy*
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 3:29pm
LoL. Keep it mind, it doesn't change the properties of Tenergy's Spring Sponge. Essentially, it just adds another layer of "springiness" to the rubber.

With that being said, I realized that I need to change my signature from Clipper CR BW2/Sriver EL to Clipper CR BW2/T05.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2009 at 4:48am
That add's got more spin on it than a 05 Tenergy

Pimple Lover View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pimple Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2009 at 10:39am
Is it legal to use ?
Pimple Lover

www.pimplelover.pantown.com
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2009 at 11:23am
The terms "Haifu Tuner" and "Haifu Oil" are a little bit confusing. And we may never find out what exact product members of the Chinese national team have been using on their equipment as a replacement for speed glue.

However, I have tested both the Haifu preglue adhesive and the Haifu VOC free glue. And I am not a reseller of these products...

----------

Haifu preglue adhesive...

Milky white, dries clear. This is basically a water-based glue. You can easily peel it off your fingers after it dries. It dries thin and does not dome the rubber. Like other water based glues (and paints), it dries fast. Only a slight tensioning of the rubber. There may be a slight increase in the speed of the rubber after using this product, but not anything close to going from an untuned BWII to a "factory tuned" BWII. (This is after 15 coats.) And the slight increase in speed might just be the fact that a BWII rubber stuck to a blade is faster than a BWII rubber with a dead layer of factory tuning stuck to the blade. And there is no sound.

IMO this is just a water-based glue. Nothing more.

----------

Haifu VOC free glue...

This is a brownish colored, thick liquid. I have no idea what this is made from but it is very oily. You will notice this if you get any on the side of the bottle or on your hands. Within moments of applying this, the rubber will dome about 1 inch. It takes 24 hours to dry enough to add another coat. (Although using a heater might speed this up.) Once dry, it is shiny and slightly sticky... So there's definitely some adhesive properties in it. After spending 4 days to apply 3 coats, I glued the rubber back on and I had to cut the rubber back down to fit the blade. (Since the rubber expanded?) The rubber had a noticeable click just by bouncing the ball, and when I played there was a speed glue feel and increased power. The famous BWII "crack" sound was back, but not as noticeable as an original factory tuned rubber.

I think this is what has been referred to as "Haifu Oil". Its oily, and its like speed glue. It does alter the properties of the rubber, but as it says on the label, it can pass the ENEZ test. So its illegal but legal at the same time.(?) I don't really care because I'll never be in a tournament that tests equipment. I simply wanted to find out how to return my BWII to its factory tuned state, or at least close to it, and based on my tests (and spending $$$ to find out), I can say this stuff is close.

----------

Finally, I really like the feeling of the tuned BWII, and I think I'll put some of this VOC free glue on some other rubbers like Sriver EL for fun, but the process is very labor intensive. I don't think I'll be using it as my main setup.

If you want to re-tune your BWII or experiment with a tuner/booster that "can pass the ENEZ" test, buy the haifu VOC-free glue, not the Haifu preglue adhsive. Otherwise stick to Tenergy, speed glue, or the other more common water based boosters out there.

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2009 at 12:47pm
Thanks for this "non comercial" review LOOPMEISTER.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 11:55am
i didnt know that the brown tuner is illegal...

ohhh well Wink

i havent been on this forum for almost 2 weeks!!!  i kind of look forward to playing tt again too.  all those midterms and trips to the casino take up so much time.  (yes, Albert; i went to Barona again LOL)
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 1:37pm
im hoping BWIII wont be as confusing as pre-this, oil-that, peel...reapply, brown, white

although i think this tread cleared it up for me

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:56pm
I think BWIII is a typo. There's only a new packaging of the BW2. They are now vacuum sealed. I already have those in stock.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

i didnt know that the brown tuner is illegal...

ohhh well Wink

i havent been on this forum for almost 2 weeks!!!  i kind of look forward to playing tt again too.  all those midterms and trips to the casino take up so much time.  (yes, Albert; i went to Barona again LOL)

Did you win? LoL. Yeah the brown's been out of production for at least a month now.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2009 at 4:12am

Did you win? LoL. Yeah the brown's been out of production for at least a month now.

of course i did.  Big%20smile

even if its illegal, it still works great
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2009 at 2:15pm

I think BWIII is a typo. There's only a new packaging of the BW2. They are now vacuum sealed. I already have those in stock.

Just to clarify that BWIII is NOT a typo. I had mentioned it in another thread, and I didn't type it by mistake. Please see the pictures of the BWIII sample, the sponge is made by different material, the color is purple.

MyTableTennis.NET is the only one authorized distributor of Haifu products in North America. We got the products information and samples before it is out in the market. BWIII is still under testing by a few China national team players right now, it is not released in the market yet.

For more information, please contact our customer support at [email protected].

Table Tennis Super Forum - MyTableTennis.NET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic