Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NitroSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NitroSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Cleaning
    Posted: 07/11/2009 at 5:43pm
     So I recently purchased my first custom paddle, and it has pretty tacky rubbers.  I can already see some dirt residue on the topsheet but this is where i need the help.  From reading around and researching i think i have the right method down for cleaning but please correct me if im wrong since i would really hate damaging a brand new rubber or reducing the tackiness.  First you get a sponge, (kitchen sponges work ok?) you lightly dampen it with little water and starting from the handle move towards the top.(or does it matter which direction you move?)  Then you wave it around to dry. with this method most of the dirt will be removed but will the rubber retain its tackiness? or should i try a retailer TT rubber cleaner? all thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 5:53pm
That is how I clean mine. Just water, wipe, air dry and then I cover both sides with rubber protection sheets. The rubber is going to lose some of its tackiness the more you use it, regardless of how you clean it. The general rule is to stay away from detergents and alcohol type solvents to make your rubbers last their longest. Those cleaners dry out the rubber and make them brittle over time.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 6:31pm
Yea don't use those cleaners...especially on tensors - it KILLS THEM FASTER T_T [my coppa platin death].

Just use water and get a sponge. You can get a really good table tennis sponge if you want but anything'll do.

Good luck!
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 6:55pm
i would suggest the KENETIX,, you can find them at www.americantabletennis.com, i have tried all of them, including just distilled water, so far i the bet product i ever use, i really extend the life of the rubber, feels like im using a new rubber all the time.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 7:28pm
Once in a while - like once in two weeks - I use a drop of GooGone. It is a citrus-based cleaner found in your local Walmart for 7 dollars or smth. It doesn't kill the rubbers at all but it helps to revitalize them a bit.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 7:44pm
what about spinmax guys? and what is joola spinmax? is it the same?
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2009 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Totoro Totoro wrote:

Yea don't use those cleaners...especially on tensors - it KILLS THEM FASTER T_T [my coppa platin death].

Just use water and get a sponge. You can get a really good table tennis sponge if you want but anything'll do.

Good luck!

+1.

I only use warm water only with TT sponge (~ $5).

minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 12:49pm
spimax dries up the ruber, i use them ony once, it really shorten life, soon youll replacing rubber, truse dude, ive use all of them, kenetix i the only one i would use, i heard from a source that it is the same compound they use to place on rubber before packaging the rubbers in japan. what else would you use.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 1:41pm
I would like to hear more thoughts about spinmax, this is the first negative thing I heard about it.
thanks.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 4:12pm
I've used both spinmax and kenetix.  Spinmax just adds tack to the rubber, I've used it on quite a few setups, with no ill effects.  Kenetix is really more for grippy rubbers.  While it does bring back "dead" rubbers, I feel that it doesn't really do much for new rubbers and leaves a coating which I don't really like.
Donic Waldner Diablo Senso _Blitz_Reflectoid
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2_Shadow 2.0_Wraith 2.0
Allround Classic, E4, Donic Cayman
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 4:15pm
Donic Bioclean is my cleaner of choice.  I'm currently out of it, so I'm just using water right now.  While acceptable, I'd much rather use the Donic Bioclean because it just feels cleaner/tackier/grippier after a cleaning.
Donic Waldner Diablo Senso _Blitz_Reflectoid
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2_Shadow 2.0_Wraith 2.0
Allround Classic, E4, Donic Cayman
Waldmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 6:09pm

Be sure the kitchen sponge ( i use soft microfibre cloth ) is really soft so that it doesn micro scratch zthe rubbers surface. Don t rub the rubber dry, but wave it dry. I prefer destilled water with a tiny tiny bit dish soap in it to remove fat from the skin ( the commercial cleaners nowerdays - VOCfree - are mostly the same ). To refresh the tackiness joola spinmax is good.

P�����������������������h
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 6:44pm
i wod say try spinax yourself,what i notice it makes the rubbe topsheet brittle, you'll see,while kenetix you will feel that the compound penetrate the topssheet, make it like a newrubber fee,

for sponges, go to Waalmart or Kmart, get those womens facial sponges, if its good for the face itll be ok for my TT rubber, and its cheap....

jUst as a food for thought, AKALI DRIES, ACID DRIES, ALCOHOL DRIES,,,rubber and synthetic rubber additives and presevatives is the only one that is use in production of rubbers,,,,
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 6:57pm
I must stress this again - DO NOT use those special table tennis foam/liquid cleaners on a regular basis - eg. 5+ times a week.

They dry your rubbers out and then you'll cry after you see the damage.

You could probably use it maybe once a month just to make it look nice.

USE WATER AND A TABLE TENNIS SPONGE.

=D

I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Ash(ATTC) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2009 at 11:34pm
Yes- I also have had no problems with Spinmax
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF
Forehand:Tibhar Sinus Alpha
Backhand:Tibhar Sinus Alpha
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2009 at 2:43pm
heh
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2009 at 6:16pm
I use water and a sponge for cleaning my rubbers. If it is a old rubber, I use kenetix spray. 
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2009 at 7:20pm
just water with sponge or hand
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2009 at 8:39am
yawn...
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2009 at 9:14am
I am using synthetic wash leather and water, and it works great.
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2009 at 4:10am

Just plain H2O and once every 2 months (sometimes 6 weeks) table tennis foam/liquid cleaners.

minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2009 at 9:48am
heh,,,,,,,the way i used the kenetix, i apply i after i play and place and acetate, or protection film over the rubber, not durng play, during play  just use my hands, or arms,,,,, the cool part is everytime i peel off the protection film, it feels like i just install a new rubber, my rubber  sheets used to last me 6-7 weeks, ( 4 time/week), now they last 12-15 weeks.
nick911sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick911sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2009 at 10:53am
Seems like I'll have to give kenetix a try..
YEO Cpen

Xiom Fuga Cpen

Xiom Strato Cpen

Dawei Matrix Cpen

Dawei Quattro A+ FL

minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2009 at 6:02pm

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=ken-rub-vit

HERE are some of the reviews from one of the dealers
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2009 at 6:39pm

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=ken-rub-vit

HERE are some of the reviews from one of the dealers
pingpongpaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2009 at 1:03pm
I use a piece of cotton wool and wet it with water then wipe rubber and air dry.
Blade: Stiga OFF NCT (Penhold)

Forehand: DHS Hurricane 3 NEO 2.15
Backhand Coppa X1 turbo hard

GLUE: COPYDEX YEY SOO CHEAP DIY TT ftw the win:)
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2011 at 7:33am

What's wrong cleaning the rubbers with your breath and your hand? I always do that multiple times while i play and once before i put my racket to rest.

If there is nothing wrong with it why buy and use market stuff?

JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2011 at 9:47am
That works on Chinese tacky rubbers. I think the non-tacky/euro stuff doesn't respond to that very well. I've begun cleaning my H3 with only sweat at the end, and breath during play. Seems to be working wonders, and the tack seems to be increasing slowly.

For real, don't waste money on cleaners. I have a little finger spray bottle of distilled water in my case, and .99 sponge from Wal-Mart. Does everything you'd need and won't degrade the rubber like an alcohol based cleaner will.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
kou View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 12:21am
How about using a Kutchen sponge which has absorbed soapy water to wipe out the dirt from rubber? Please do not use acid detergent for cleaning because that will damage the rubber.
col6628 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col6628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 4:00am
has any used revolution 3 cleaner and rejuvenator its on youtube?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic