Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andro Hexer Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andro Hexer Review
    Posted: 09/22/2009 at 11:13pm
Hi All,

After being seriously disappointed at the DHS Neo series, I practically moved back to Tenergy (which honestly is good, but it's still lacking for me) for the past 2 weeks with very very average results in penant play.

So one day on some chinese forums - I saw some ppl say that Hexer is seriously the BEST Tensor ever made (big call), I just HAD to give it a try. And I too - will just have to say, it really is the BEST Tensor ever made.

Test Setups: -
Andro Hexer 2.1 and T64 2.1 on Xiom Jazz.
Andro Hexer 2.1 and Xiom Zeta 2.1 on Clipper Oversize
Testers were 2 super league players and a local jobber in myself.

Note that the Hexer is made of 100% natural rubber. This should mean that the rubber is much more durable than synthetic Tensor varieties in the past.

Feel
This is by no means a fast rubber at all. Its first speed is S-L-O-W, much slower than say Roxxon, JO Platin etc etc. Overall it feels quite hard but plays softer than it feels. This is prolly due to the wide spacing of the pup structure. In hindsight - this is great cos Hexer no longer has the tensor topsheet pop. Short pushing is ridulously easy and the feel is amazing on those shots. This is an area that is often overlooked by lesser standard players like me (wannabe looping machine) but the 2 super league players that were testing it couldn't stop wiping the smiles off their faces. They really were able to push short and heavy with ease.

Looping
This is where Hexer really comes into a league of its own. MH is a two wing looper who used to use H3 glued on both sides of his Kreanga Carbon. His smile just wouldn't be wiped off his face either. Simply put - his power loops were back. He said the spin is ALMOST as good as H3 glued. The flying arc of loops is amazing and boy does it dip. The best thing about this rubber is just how easy it is to play different types of loops (even me with my rather poor technique) as you can either let the ball sink into the sponge or you can use the grip from the topsheet to do the work for you. Just simply amazing.
** Update**
The throw on loops is medium - high and as I said, the greatest thing about this rubber is that you can choose how you wanna hit hit, whereever you wanna hit it.

Blocking
On my slower blade I did feel the ball was dying off a bit when blocking. It only required a simple adjustment - which was for me to take the ball earlier cos the Hexer's dwell time is amazing. Let the ball sink in a little and you can angle out the push block to anywhere on the table. I'm not a great blocker on the FH (in fact I suck) but my BH block is quite good. I easily able to handle anything the 2 super league boys were throwing at me and also punch off the BH with the Hexer with good speed as well.

Serving
The topsheet is really grippy, it doesn't look as grippy at Tenergy but I found myself getting more spin on my serves than T05/25/64.
**Let me revise this - after 2nite, I don't know what it is but it just makes getting spin on serves much easier.

Sorry guys I got a bit too excited and ended up at MSAC for another hit with it.

I'll answer more questions below.

Sponsored Links

strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2009 at 11:36pm
thanks for the review wizz.

I ordered some of these last week in the hope that they play just as you described. I actually want to slow down my setup to gain better control in tough matches. I'll be sticking these on a new Andro Kinetic Supreme Zylon.

Can't wait.
Blade: Viscaria
Rubber: FH Tenergy 80, BH Tenergy 80

Trading Feedback
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 12:18am
Thanks for the info
ive been interested in this one because of the natural rubber advertised.

first thing Id love you to note (you did about serve) but how does it compare overall to tenergy 05?

Which is spinnier for looping, what is the difference in throw?, whats the difference in soft loops fast drives - blocks - smashing, how about the weight, what is the sponge on hexer like?

Also looking forward to a follow up feedback after 1 month and 2 months play.

Tenergy 05 I found I can use the same sheet for a year of lots of play, sure it loses its topsheet grip but becomes like most other rubbers brand new. 

oh whats the price difference?
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 5:21am
Cheers for the review Wizz! Sounds like a much better alternative to Tenergy than Outlaw/Naimor/Coppa Speed. I'm now interested at how long the effects last before it gets soft and topsheet durablility.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 7:07am
I've tried Tibhar Genius (another latest generation Tensor, probably very little difference) last night. Quite nice rubber. Very easy to generate spin. Pronounced nice arc. Not very fast but provides amazing consistency.
wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 9:15am
BBV - overall I think its a much easier rubber to use that produces the same if not more spin as T05. Its also a much more versatile rubber because of the great dwell time. It produces a nice med - high throw on loops which really really makes the slow loops super easy.

I'm not great at it but my other mate (A1 grade player - former taiwanese national team member) could bitch slap the fark outta it with no problems.

Just one note on the sponge, it's not a smooth sponge. It literally looks like a piece of household sponge lol with all the holes in it.

Price Diff - Rob from affordable TT stocks them at $59 + post. Yeah I know you can get Tenergy from Dandoy for only a little more but its a good $20 cheaper than any Aussie dealer who stocks Tenergy.

I seriously cannot believe how good this rubber is.
Lionel.Looper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 9:25am
With it med-high throw and good dwell time, does it top spin loop a heavy back spin ball easily and still clears the net with sufficient margin without brushing against the top of the net?  I am playing with Butterfly Chinese Real 5-ply wood blade with Andro Roxon 500 Pro and some of my top spin loop against backspin ball could brush the top of the net before clearing to the opponent's table.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Lionel.Looper Lionel.Looper wrote:

With it med-high throw and good dwell time, does it top spin loop a heavy back spin ball easily and still clears the net with sufficient margin without brushing against the top of the net?  I am playing with Butterfly Chinese Real 5-ply wood blade with Andro Roxon 500 Pro and some of my top spin loop against backspin ball could brush the top of the net before clearing to the opponent's table.

Let me try to answer this question. I believe is is up to you to control the arc the ball travels above the net. You may find some brush/hit ratio that works wonders for some rubbers, but I don't think you should use this for every rubber.

And secondly, if you are brushing the top of the net, KEEP THAT RUBBER!!! There's nothing more annoying to block than a ball that skims the net as you no longer correctly know the amount of spin taken off. And it annoys your opponent really quickly, another plus! Big%20smile
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:00am
But what makes me annoyed is that about 35% of the time those balls actually missed the top of the net by almost 10mm~20mm and thus I lost the points! Wacko  I really need more margin to make me feel confident that my strokes are correct.

By the way, you are right that the brush/hit ratio is important.  But it depends on where the back spin ball bounces to.  If it bounces within the table surface, then I can only put more brush friction spin, much less hit.  If the back spin ball clears the table, then I can put in hitting and brush friction spin almost equal ratio.  I wish Hexer does give me more margin for either more or less of the hit ratio for heavy back spin ball.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:01am
Originally posted by wizz wizz wrote:

Just one note on the sponge, it's not a smooth sponge. It literally looks like a piece of household sponge lol with all the holes in it.

Kind of like Spring sponge. Is it made in Japan? or Germany?

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 10:07am
LL - That shot is a no brainer. I was able to get my loops about 5 - 10cm over the net off heavy backspin shot (my taiwanese training partner can chop sumfin nasty) . But the best thing about it was I was able to choose whether the slow loop went low (high risk) or just nice and safe over the net and both shots were just loaded with spin.

There were shots that he just simply said 'wow - that had so much spin.'

Strongpong - I got my a Kinetic Supreme Zylon Carbon too!!! Just been sealed and will see action on Saturday morning :)
jpenlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 1:31pm
How is the sound of Hexer? Does it have the same nice sound of Roxon?
Blade: Butterfly TBS
Rubber: H3 Neo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 2:15pm
Looping chops/backspins is very comfortable with Genius also. Actually one of the best rubbers for that shot. This rubber seems to have covered most of the shortcomings of the Tensor breed. We'll see about the durability later on. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 2:33pm

Wizz, I love your remarks about 5cm~10cm above the net even looping a nasty heavy back spin ball.  It means Hexer is a nice rubber for my style of play, and I will get one after my Roxon 500 Pro has lost its performance considerably.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 2:59pm
speaquinox ...  by the way, this Tibhar Genius of yours is attached to which blade?  I am also considering this rubber since as you mentioned, the looping against heavy back spin ball is comfortable.....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:20pm
Oh Sang Eun. BTW, I guess Genius, Hexer and Xplode will act quite similiar. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:39pm

Oh yeah....from the readings on spin speed control Genius and Hexer are simiar. and another one Donic Baracuda is also similar.....

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:42pm
Latest Tensor (ESN/Germany) Rubbers generation: Porous sponge, higher arc, 100% natural rubber, more spin and durability.

Donic Baracuda (45�)
Tibhar Genius (45�)
Andro Hexer (47�)
Joola X-plode (47�)

ps: degrees acording to ESN, don't compare with BTY or Chinese factories..

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Latest Tensor (ESN/Germany) Rubbers generation: Porous sponge, higher arc, 100% natural rubber, more spin and durability.

Donic Baracuda (45�)
Tibhar Genius (45�)
Andro Hexer (47�)
Joola X-plode (47�)

Any ideas on the weights of uncut sheets with all those rubbers listed?

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:46pm
Hexer weight? Use comparisons if you can because I not familiar with numbers.

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Donic Baracuda (45�)
Tibhar Genius (45�)
Andro Hexer (47�)
Joola X-plode (47�)

Sorry, I got 2 Genius for test but they were cut to BTY standard size blade. I didn't weight them.. felt lighter than Nianmor and Tenergy 05 same size.

weight: Tenergy 05 2.1 > Nianmor max. > Genius max.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 3:58pm

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Donic Baracuda (45�)
Tibhar Genius (45�)
Andro Hexer (47�)
Joola X-plode (47�)

Sorry, I got 2 Genius for test but they were cut to BTY standard size blade. I didn't weight them.. felt lighter than Nianmor and Tenergy 05 same size.

weight: Tenergy 05 2.1 > Nianmor max. > Genius max.

Donic Baracuda, Red, Max ~ 69grs uncut
Tibhar Genius, Black, 2.0mm ~ 63grs uncut

Even though they claim Baracuda is 45� compared to Genius 47�, I feel that Baracuda is harder than Genius.

Just my observation.

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2009 at 4:03pm
They say both are 45�. Like blades, rubbers also have some manufacturing variations..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 11:43am
Too bad in Singapore I could not find Tibhar rubbers, I would love to try Tibhar Genius.  If cannot be found, I would switch to either Donic Baracuda or Andro Hexer..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel.Looper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 11:46am
By the way, I have just purchased a new Jpen, Cypress-S (Cypress-Square) blade, and it is supposedly a nice blade for brushing-friction top spin, and knocking-brushing top spin style alike.... having these high arc rubbers on the blade is just a dream .....  Currently I am using Chinese Real (Cpen) and Andro Roxon 500 Pro 2.0.....waiting for the rubber to lose its performance before I switch....
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 1:06pm

ordered a red Andro Hexer ....and expected to arrive in about a week.

EJ bug? yes...  this is how i thought...

step 1: checked other posts from wizz ... to make sure its not some enthusiast noobie who gets excited over everything and uses extreme adjectives.

Step 2: from his posts made sure that he is dealer neutral ... not working on behalf of a dealer.

step 3: read his review 4 times... to ensure if this is the slower version of tenergy 05 i had dreamt about.

step 4: "natural rubber" ... head of butterfly korea had told my friend the difference between tenergy and tensors is that butterfly uses more natural rubber than esn.. and hence lasts longer with better feel. tensor technology didn't allow them use natural rubbers this far. so i can expect this one to be durable, unlike tensors.

step 5: ordered :)

step 6: flip side - i had changed my FH tenergy 5 max fairly recently ... and 80-90% life left.... i need a buyer ... someone offer me a price for that. :(

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
wizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 6:45pm
Lol at Derbraj!!!

I am defintiely dealer neutral. I'm just like the tonne of others who have been dying for a slower tensor that gives more feel and spin over speed.

I am honestly hoping that this really will be long termer that can finally replace speed glued H3 / Sriver.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 7:12pm
wizz.. thx for the post.. please keep updating this post and critically evaluating the rubber...

i am counting on you for decent utilization of my $56 :)

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
pingmasterjam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingmasterjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2009 at 7:40pm
my two sheets 2.1 black and red . arrived today. ill be playing this aftenoon therfore i will be able to provide a review by tommrow night
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2009 at 8:21am
Looking forward to it :)
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic