Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avalox P700 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avalox P700 Review
    Posted: 11/09/2009 at 6:38pm
Avalox P700 Review
Set up: Avalox P700 ST (Switched from FL!)
     FH: Stiga Almana Sound MAX
     BH: Stiga Almana MAX
No tuners, no speedglue

Intro

****The review is a comparison between the Stiga Clipper and Avalox P700.****

I am big on 6mm thickness Stiga Clippers. Why? I think they�re great for looping, hitting, service, etc. and in addition they have an amazing feel. I feel like a 7 ply wood blade that is thin offers great looping ability, power, feel and touch for my game. So the first thought that came to me was� I need a spare. The problem is Stiga doesn�t make 6mm Clippers anymore. I have owned 3 Clippers and recently hit with a friend�s brand new Clipper. Two of them were used and purchased several years ago, both of them 6mm (one of them has a cracked center ply;_;). The newest one was 7mm; and recently I hit with a friend�s brand new Clipper, which was also 7mm.   Some individuals may like 7mm Clippers, but I find it does not fit my stroke (No offense to the 7mm Clipper lovers).

So I went on a quest to find a blade similar to a 6mm Clipper and I remembered the threads on MyTT.NET on the Avalox P700. Softer, ~6mm thick, 7 plys = just what the EJ needs. I purchased an Avalox P700 and once it arrived, I eagerly opened the box and discovered a very nice high quality product. All edges on the blade are sanded; the grains on the wood look nice and straight, the balance is nice. I then immediately proceeded to lightly varnish both faces of the blade with poly and grip tape the handle. Once the poly cured I transferred my rubbers from the Clipper to the P700.

Initially, I did not like the P700 compared to the Clipper because the P700�s feel was not as strong as the Clipper�s. But as I hit with it more I found that it can loop better since it is softer (more dwell time) and that I needed time to adjust to the P700�s softer feel.

Initial Impressions
Service
Service trajectory is a little higher than Clipper, still spinney. Just a matter of technique.
Clipper > P700

Push
Long pushes have a flat trajectory and are fast. Short placement pushes have a small arch.
Clipper > P700 (not by much)

Counter
Counter drives feel nice. They are flat and fast and have a softer feel.
Clipper = P700

Block
Completely forgot about this. Blocks feel easier to do compared to the clipper. The soft feeling allows the ball to stay on the face longer and control the block.
P700~Clipper

Loop
The P700 is noticable better at looping then the Clipper.   It has more dwell, a higher throw, and is thinner than comparable 7 ply blades. High arch loops are spinney, Loop-drives are fast and low; openings are strong and spinney. BH loops are easier to do compared to the Clipper.
P700 > Clipper
edit*** after another night of playing, I found that with my current set it is most effective at looping at around 4ft away from the table. Any further I have to expend a lot more energy to get the ball back on the table.

Smashing
Smashing is solid with the P700; fast and low. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Clipper> P700
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2009 at 7:52pm
Thanks Jeff ,great review
 I'm in China now and I was thinking of buying the P700 even just for resale ,but how does it play away from the table a bit?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Thanks Jeff ,great review
�I'm in China now and I was thinking of buying the P700 even just for resale ,but how does it play away from the table a bit?
With Almana Sound/Almana at Midrange (~6-8ft? is that midrange?)I can generate some good pace, but any further the ball does not have enough energy. I'm sure this could be remedied with tensor or spring sponge rubbers.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
whirlwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whirlwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2009 at 10:12pm
P700 is one of my favorite all wood blade, one of the best in the world!Big%20smile
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2009 at 10:22pm
I have 6.8 mm Clipper and it is stiffer, about the same softness (if not less) and a bit faster compared to my 6.2 mm P700.

Actually P700 is like 5-ply on steroid.  It is quite flexible for a 7-ply blade, soft with ample dwell time but quite fast (faster than my old Korbel).  If you are using ordinary 5-ply for a long time, it is easier to adjust to P700 compared to the 6.8 mm Clipper.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 10:41am
Thanks for that , I held one in my hand (nice feel) but I was over spent lol , as I had an order worth 3874.00 RMB$ to bring bac to NZ
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
chugun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 6:30pm
...smackman., i've heard p700 is good for smacking...ahaha
...chugun is fighting with loopers...
push,push,push...and when they loop smack it
Senkoh 5
shor pimple Stiga Royal 2.0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 6:30pm
edit to the post. Looping is much better close to the table with non-glue effect rubbers. Any further, it gets hard.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by chugun chugun wrote:

...smackman., i've heard p700 is good for smacking...ahaha

Dam I should have got it lol (thats my style)

Well I got direct contact in China now so when I sell my kids bats Ill gey one then   

Cheers
sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2009 at 9:38pm
the same thing happened to me...
coming from clipper at first p700 felt slow, mushy, like a sick clipper :)
after some time I've gotten used to it and it feels great in every aspect.
it has the right amount of speed, great control and feeling.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2009 at 2:30am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I have 6.8 mm Clipper and it is stiffer, about the same softness (if not less) and a bit faster compared to my 6.2 mm P700.Actually P700 is like 5-ply on steroid.� It is quite flexible for a 7-ply blade, soft with ample dwell time but quite fast (faster than my old Korbel).� If you are using ordinary 5-ply for a long time, it is easier to adjust to P700 compared to the 6.8 mm Clipper.

can somebody compare p700 with clipper cr?
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2009 at 3:09am
Doesn't Hao Shuai use P700? 
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2009 at 9:31am
Unfortunately there are two types of P700. The older version is thinner. I've tried both and gave me the impression that the older one is the real one, and the newer one's fake. The newer version is thicker and harder, only good for smashing. Very difficult to get the thinner older version now.

The other very good blade is the P500. Don't see them anymore. Very good 5-ply blade.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2009 at 7:50pm
I am not aware of newer and older version of P700.  Mine is 6.2 mm thick and it is more of a looping blade, although it still can smash and block pretty well, but my stiffer Clipper (6.8 mm) is better in blocking/smashing and a bit worse in looping.
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2009 at 10:04pm

I'll document this using photos but I'll need help uploading photos. The older version of P700 is thinner and plays much better than the Clipper Wood. Then again I don't know which Clipper I have. Must be the thicker newer versions. Guess the good old ones are harder to find now.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2009 at 4:11pm
[QUOTE=loop+loop] Unfortunately there are two types of P700. The older version is thinner. I've tried both and gave me the impression that the older one is the real one, and the newer one's fake. The newer version is thicker and harder, only good for smashing. Very difficult to get the thinner older version now.

The other very good blade is the P500. Don't see them anymore. Very good 5-

disaggree, the older version(alphatt) was more solid and faster , the new one is flexier and the neck is thinner..maybe the feel was more 38mm era. the new one i got is getting splintered
gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2009 at 8:20pm
does alphatt have nittaku plaques on their avalox blades?
Or do you have to get those ones from China?
12 yrs ago i got one (p700) from my coach, and i want a replacement just in case my wood starts to warp, i remember reading somewhere the quality is slightly better, can anyone confirm that?
Thx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2009 at 11:33pm
The P700 I have does not have a nittaku plaque on it.  The Avalox blades AlphaTT sells are made by and distributed by AVXAvalox.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 8:02am
My avalox p700 has 95grams and 6.7mm thickness.
The first thing that surprised me was softness of every ply. I can make groove in it easily with my nail. Bounce speed without rubbers was low. It felt like slow blade.
My initial impressions: rather slow, rather high trajectory (definitely not low, could be medium..), strange soft feel, but nice feeling for the ball. A lot of spin on serves and pushes, carbon cannot compete with p700. Not flexible blade at all.
These impressions are in pretty accordance to the features of P700 - soft wood plies, 7 plies, 6.7mm thickness.

After some time I am still confused about its speed. I cant decide. Is it slow or does it have enough speed? I am used to blades with hard outter plies rather on soft plies. Sometimes I feel it is slow blade but suddenly I am surprised with passive stroke like block, when blade helps with its speed to return the ball nicely.
I dont think this P700 is good for close to the table zone. The closer to the table, the higher chance to overshoot the table while looping. For very close to the table it has higher trajectory than it should have.
Not good away from table, I would not use it more than 2 metres away from the table.

For the speed- i think it is the very high control that makes me feel it is slower than it actually is. This is only explanation I have for that.
I also think that this blade is not good to supplement slow rubbers with speed. Low rebound speed makes it even worse.
With its extraordinary control it works very well with new dynamic rubbers.

I tried on P700 H3neo 40deg, BW2 tuned/nontuned 37deg, 729-08 47deg, bryce speed.

My question: does your P700 has soft wood plies, as I described? I did expect something different when buying this blade. This was completely unexpected, but in a quite good way. The only con is the weight, whole racket gets to 196grams.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2009 at 1:27pm
In my opinion P700 is a blade out of date now.

Too soft for 40 mm. It has no crispness. It is difficult to match a rubber. Maybe before H3 like were a good set up but now feels slow mushy.

It has a lot of control but it is a no live blade.

And weights as hell.

Good handle.

I like the latest clipper that are not anything extraordinary better than the P700.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

In my opinion P700 is a blade out of date now.

Too soft for 40 mm. It has no crispness. It is difficult to match a rubber. Maybe before H3 like were a good set up but now feels slow mushy.

It has a lot of control but it is a no live blade.

And weights as hell.

Good handle.

I like the latest clipper that are not anything extraordinary better than the P700.

Well, I just played one which was 83gr and 6.2mm width. It is not the fastest blade I ever played with but it can be compared to my Clipper cr wrb and my Korbel SK7 in terms of speed. With tenergy 64 2.1mm or Sonex JP gold 2.0mm it makes a super combo with lots of feel that could make 99% of its users happy.

Isn't she lovely, isn't she beautiful ?

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2010 at 3:40pm

maybe you like it, jcdi.

my avalox p700 is different from yours. In the blade face says 'This hard(?) blade enables your shot to get a maximum of speed. and then below, 'Designed and used by China National team'. handle is a good thick an one.

and yes thickness around 6,1-6,2.

99% users happy is much. I would say 50%.

I agree it looks beautiful.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2010 at 3:23pm

Edited by tomaca - 11/08/2010 at 11:31am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 8:49am
compared to clipper wood, is p700 faster or slower? softer of harder? stiffer or more flexible? thanks
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 9:04am
p700 is harder(Some will say that it is not, but yes is harder), more flexible and has big catapult efect which makes it somewhat faster but with much better control,
I played with both of my recommendation is P700
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by tomaca tomaca wrote:

p700 is harder(Some will say that it is not, but yes is harder), more flexible and has big catapult efect which makes it somewhat faster but with much better control,
I played with both of my recommendation is P700

thank you very much :)
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2012 at 9:24pm
I heard that some avalox blades come pre-sealed with a very thin layer, does P700 have this? 
MrScience101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrScience101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2012 at 9:55pm
No but the blue thunder version does:

http://store.alphatabletennis.com/avaloxblades.html
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2012 at 12:30am
Beautiful blade. My P500 is nice with Bryce/ Bryce Speed. A little to flabby with T05FX.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by MrScience101 MrScience101 wrote:

No but the blue thunder version does:

http://store.alphatabletennis.com/avaloxblades.html

i play cpen short pips which would be better, b777 or p700?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic