Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEXY Reviews: the COLOR blade (FL)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Reviews: the COLOR blade (FL)
    Posted: 12/01/2009 at 11:15am
Got my Nexy blade (Color FL). This is just some photos. Other posts will follow shortly.

Review 1 (mine)

Review 2 (by rokphish)

Review 3 (by anubhav1984)

Review 4 (by jcdi)

Review 5 (by Peter C)

Review 6 (by APW46)

Review 7 (by peter79)

Official Nexy Color picture from http://tak9.com

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 11:52am
Blade:  Nexy Color FL (5-ply wood)
Speed:  8.0
Control:  9.0
Feel:  Med-Soft
Weight:  93 grams
Rubbers:
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight Red 2.0 40 degs (regular)
BH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight Black 1.8 40 degs (regular)
Total weight: 184 g

General comments:

Blade seems pretty light but actually is rather heavy - 93-94 grams!

It is very well crafted, quality is superb. For a price of around 70 US dollars (75000 Korean won) it seems to be quite a piece of art. I put double edge tape on it to protect the edges - let's hope it will be absolutely intact when the testing is over. I almost wanted to frame it and hang it on the wall...

It has 5 plies - real Japanese Cypress (Hinoki) on the relatively thin outer plies and Ayous for the central ply, but two other outer layers (the ones directly underneath the surface Hinoki layers) are horizontally-laid Spruce to make the blade a bit faster while still retaining very good control.

The unpainted side feels extremely smooth - probably some varnish was used there. Same on the painted side but then the picture of the colorful splash was painted on top of the sealant, i assume...

Review:

Had about an hour of playing with the blade. First impression is that it is rather springy, with some noticeable flex. Almost no vibration. Despite its medium-thin thickness (approximately 6 mm) it has absolutely no problem returning the ball from even 10 feet away from the table - while doing that with IQUL 1.8 which by itself is not a very springy rubber at this thickness. Pleasant surprise.

Almost from the first minute I realized that I could play it rather comfortably - some blades take really long time getting used to. Color isn't one of those. I played an opponent with whom we lately have had very close matches usually ending 3-2, and I managed to beat her 3-2 with this completely new blade and with the rubbers which I haven't played in 6 months. That says something!

I would say it is an OFF- or OFF blade, softness/hardness in the middle of the range.

Balance was shifted a bit into the handle and as a consequence the blade felt a little light when smashing but that can be easily attributed to the lightness of the rubbers - the blade itself, as I said before, weighs 93 g.

I will play some more and then probably switch the rubbers to something a bit thicker. The next set will probably be Gambler Aces Pro 2.2 (FH) and LKT Rapid Soft 2.2 (BH).

Improvements:

Handle feels just a tad smaller than I am used to, but that is really nothing to gripe about. One can always add a thin layer of grip.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 11:53am
OK, so I started the second day of testing by playing a match with the same setup (IQULs on both sides).

What can I tell you - the flex in the blade really really helps with looping. No doubt about it.

Hinoki outer plies while thin still contribute very much to gentleness of the short game, so all you need is good rubber and your touch, and you are home.

Spruce layers make it faster and flexible while also adding power to the blocks and faraway shots.

After winning the match I said to myself "you need to try it with your regular setup". So that's what I did - I took the rubbers off my beloved WRC-10 and started putting them on Nexy Color (those were Gambler Outlaw 2.2 and Gambler Wraith 2.2). Then of course I needed to take the IQULs off Color.

And that's when I got in trouble - the outer plies of my blade easily splintered in 2-4 places on every side despite all my efforts at gentleness. Fool that I am I  thought the blade came sealed because it was so smooth. But it's not sealed and I didn't think about sealing it myself.

Anyways, I kinda fixed the damage somehow but I shudder to think what is going to happen when I will have to take these rubbers off the blade. Then of course I will seal the blade but unfortunately it will be a bit too late.

Improvements: Mr. Moon, please factory-seal each Color blade. Color has very fragile thin Hinoki outer plies which splinter easily. I am not sure about other blades in your lineup but Color certainly needs factory sealing, believe me. Especially with water-based latex glues which are stronger than the old caoutchouc (rubber cement) glues.

Anyways, on to the next stage. Then I played six matches with the new setup. Terrific! It's almost as if all the best qualities of my one-plies Hinoki were retained while adding so much needed flex to the blade.

It especially helped my backhand which suffered a little when playing with thick H1P blades (the grip just isn't always ideally comfortable when lopping or hitting from the left). Also flex helps with shots from afar because it creates a real loop-like trajectory while the flatter hits generated by H1P blades tend to miss the target unless you are extremely precise.

The only little gripe (as compared to my Darker Speed 90) was still the balance of the blade. It still feels shifted into the handle which doesn't help with the power loops - ideally it should be shifted just a little back into the face of  the blade. I think that when I put my foam edge tape on the blade and then will cut the new rubbers accordingly, the balance will change for the better.

Also, although Outlaw played very good on FH, I still miss some tackiness  there - it helps so much in the short game. I will play some more with Outlaw to see if I can overcome this, but then I probably will try my trusty 729-08 once again. Unless you guys know something which is a little tacky but still very fast (on par or almost as fast as Outlaw), and doesn't require speedgluing (don't suggest Blue Whale 2 as it is too heavy and speed effect fades in about a month).

My many thanks again go to Mr. Moon - and a reminder about sealing goes to everyone out there who is about to test Color.

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 11:57am
The first comment of JimT's review will be posted here.. Wink
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 12:08pm
LOL... Thanks for the laugh, buddy! Tongue

I was just staking my ground there so that at least the first reviews will be in the beginning of the thread, not somewhere in the middle after ten posts of "pretty pics" and "how does it feel in your hand?"...

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 12:14pm
Top ply looks like hinoki wood
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

The first comment of JimT's review will be posted here..�Wink

if i don't agree i will start a diff thread!!
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Blade seems pretty light (probably around 85 g - I will post exact weight later).

It has 5 plies - Korean cypress, I guess (judging by what Mr Moon wrote to me) but a couple of layers are enhanced with Spruce to make the blade a bit faster.

The unpainted side feels extremely smooth - probably some varnish was used there. Same on the painted side but then the picture of the colorful splash was painted on top of the sealant, i assume...

JimT:- What exactly did Mr Moon say in his email? I did not receive any email from him.Cry And neither did i receive my package. Was i dropped from the list?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 1:24pm
I did not get an email, but a typed letter in the package.

Don't worry, it could take a few extra days to get to India.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

I did not get an email, but a typed letter in the package.

Don't worry, it could take a few extra days to get to India.

Thanks a lot for that reconciliation. I was starting to get worried!
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Blade seems pretty light (probably around 85 g - I will post exact weight later).

It has 5 plies - Korean cypress, I guess (judging by what Mr Moon wrote to me) but a couple of layers are enhanced with Spruce to make the blade a bit faster.

JimT:- What exactly did Mr Moon say in his email? I did not receive any email from him.Cry And neither did i receive my package. Was i dropped from the list?

There was no email, just a short letter in the box.

Guys, this is the thread about Nexy Color blade. Please discuss general questions about Nexy testing in another thread - you know where it is.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 12:39pm
Weighed it - at 93-94 grams!! Sheesh...

So I decided to put my lighter rubbers on it - and I just had a pair of very good trusty IQULs lying around.

So here it is:

I think this is a very regular combo, good for testing (no strange surprises) with reliable and honest rubbers.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 12:46pm

good benchmark for me, I can really relate to your review now..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 12:52pm
whoa. looks like lots of effort was put into that blade

Thumbs%20Up
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 1:42pm
Jim, i got the same blade.
Should i post here as well? Got small tourney on Sunday so will start playing with mine on Monday...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 2:23pm
Of course - you can add your review here as well. No problem with that.

Actually, once you do that, I will place a link to your review post in the very beginning of the thread so that people can jump from my review to yours without having to scroll down the pages...

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 7:36pm
You could do that? How?

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2009 at 11:53pm
nice blade... ....
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 1:19am
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

You could do that? How?
He can edit his post.. I think you should start your own thread Rok.. and Jim's idea on linking the two threads is very good so people will have no problem switching between both reviews.. Told you, I got the feeling you might get the Color like Jim.. Wink
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 1:47am
Updated my first (preliminary) review.

@rokphish - you can start your own thread or put your review here (this is probably the preferred case since we don't want to make many threads about the same blade). In each case I can (and I will) place a link directly to your post from the beginning of this thread.

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 2:13am
For an all wood, five ply, 5.7mm thick blade, 94g seems a bit heavy. Where does all the weight come from?
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 3:22am
I meant, if i posted my review at post number 35 down in the thread how could you post a link to that?

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

For an all wood, five ply, 5.7mm thick blade, 94g seems a bit heavy. Where does all the weight come from?

answer: dense wood according to Mr. Moon. i will tell more in my review.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 4:03am
Jim, can you compare and contrast Color with some popular blade 5-ply blades to give us some ideas please.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 10:49am
Comparing the Color to other 5 plies will be a bit harder than normal, as it has Hinoki outer plies.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 11:32am
I have two - 5 ply with hinoki tops... Stay tuned...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 12:11pm

I meant, if i posted my review at post number 35 down in the thread how could you post a link to that?

Magic of Internet, my friend - don't worry, it shall be done like I promised. Just to give you an example, I will post the link to your previous post. Check out the title post and you will see it.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

answer: dense wood according to Mr. Moon. i will tell more in my review.

Don't forget to weigh your blade. Also - can anyone around you read and translate that Korean description on tak9 website? I don't have anyone in my neighborhood who can help... Google translation is funny and unusable.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2009 at 11:47pm
Updated a couple of posts

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2009 at 4:06am
will do Jim... actually i had finished writing my preliminary.. just the internet so darn slow today i couldn't get the photos up. at home the internet died so might be tomorrow until i'm able to post some info...

are we the only two who get COLOR? I haven't seen any other adding to the review here...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic