Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Hurricane King Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nanotech View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Hurricane King Review
    Posted: 08/15/2005 at 1:00pm
After 5 hours of testing the Hurricane King with a Bryce 2.1 and a Hurricane 2.1, my impression is that: "It is a really nice blade". First of all, it is 87 g, which is not too heavy, but it sure feels heavy on the hand. Though it is suppose to be a clone of the Offensive Classic-CR, but IMO it is a lot faster than Offensive Classic-CR. Secondly for an all wood blade this blade is quite hard and it is the fastest blade I tried, but it is a different type of speed compared to for example Stiga Carbo 7.6-CR. In general it is a blade that should be considered, since it would be priced at about 125 usd when it is released in September. One really ugly thing is that it comes with a somewhat ugly portrait of Wang Liqing.
DHS Hurricane King
FH: Bryce 2.1
BH: H2 2.2

Sponsored Links

londonletmedown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonletmedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 1:59pm
So wait...your review is that it's fast, hard, and feels heavy?

Thanks.
Galaxy M6
Red Diamond 2.15
IQUL max
PingPongPang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 2:09pm
My review would be one word. Expensive
Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonletmedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by PingPongPang PingPongPang wrote:

My review would be one word. Expensive

Three words: Not Worth It
Galaxy M6
Red Diamond 2.15
IQUL max
Nanotech View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 2:43pm
That too
DHS Hurricane King

ttplayer05 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 2:49pm
why would anyone spend $125 on a blade when you can get perfectly good ones for much less!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonletmedown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Nanotech Nanotech wrote:

That too

See, that's the review that's really helpful.

Luke
Galaxy M6
Red Diamond 2.15
IQUL max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 3:14pm

I'd get a few mid-price blades with that money. It's all about testing and compare to find the right blade that suits one's style of playing.

Unless I won a lottery, I won't get something that expensive

Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 7:02pm
Why don't you just buy one expensive blade that youre pleased with, instead of buying 5 that youre not or less pleased with??
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 7:25pm
I said I would get a few mid-price blades WITH THAT MONEY. Of course I'm not that rich to afford an expensive blade.

Moreover, it's basic logic. If you get just one, you won't know what's out there. It's like gambling. Unless you are touching and feeling the blade in person, or I'd not get a blade around that price. I don't think people would get a new car without test driving it. At least I would.

If you HAVE MONEY & HAVE A CHANCE to try some other blades with that money, you'd at least know which is the best among what you've got.

It's not about who please who. I don't need a blade to please myself. It's about what suits who.

It's just my opinion when I pick my pingpong equipment. That's my insight. Not my criticism.
Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL
mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 9:44pm
USD 125 for a pure wood blade is expensive, maybe because of in the name of Wang Liqin.
Maze ST
FH/BH : Palio Era 42.5 Max
Nanotech View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 9:58pm
Hmm... Seems like this topic turned into a debate on whether it is worth to buy a Hurricane King or not.
DHS Hurricane King

nerdykid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nerdykid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2005 at 11:53pm
Why do people spend money on expensive Butterfly blades? Who cares if its pure wood if it plays well?
yulske View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yulske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2005 at 12:28am

just get a clipper you bunch of mugs.

clipper
magna
hammond
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2005 at 12:46am
well go ahead and get the most expensive blade on the planet. I would rather spend it on several blades and test each one of them individually.

There's no problem to get expensive blade. It's just a piece of advice to other people who loves pingpong that you could invest that big amount of money into other things like rubber.

Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2005 at 2:05am
I agree that its better to get 1 good blade than many mediocre ones. Since you can only use one at once...

One expensive blade is generally around the price of 2 decent ones anyway, so its not that bad.

However, i will make a special exception for the Hurricane King, because its supposed to be a clone of a cheaper blade. So why not get that cheaper blade instead? Unless its somehow better?
Maybe the price is just a special edition intro price, and the price will fall after that.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2005 at 4:08am

I understand your points, but in my opinion it's better to buy a little more expensive blade and use that, if you are going to have it for a long time, of course you have to try it first somehow.... I would never use 125 on a hurricane king.... I would rather use them on a kreanga carbon

BTW 125$ is about normal price for a timo boll spirit/Schlager carbon/michael maze blade/primorac carbon in Norway, and you can get a kreanga carbon for that price... It's not fair!!!

Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2005 at 5:40am
Okay
Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2005 at 2:32am
My opinion, it'll be worth it after the generic ones start coming out and push the price down.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2005 at 8:38am
How much is KC in Norway? Do you mean that it is the same price as TBS etc? If so, thats pretty good...
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
KLHfans View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLHfans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2005 at 4:48pm

To Nanotech:

How did you manage to get the Hurricane King so early?

I ask my friend to check for me in DHS Shanghai during early August

and it has not released yet.  I think Wang LiQin(shakehand version) and

Wang Hao (penhold version) used the blades for a while and even during

the WTTC this year.  Is it available in the oversea at USA?

Thank you.

KLHfans

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2005 at 1:59am

Originally posted by Schlager Schlager wrote:

Why don't you just buy one expensive blade that youre pleased with, instead of buying 5 that youre not or less pleased with??

I think he was saying he could use that money to try several different ones to find the one he was pleased with.  As opposed to putting all his eggs in one $125 basket.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2005 at 2:00am

I said I would get a few mid-price blades WITH THAT MONEY. Of course I'm not that rich to afford an expensive blade.

Moreover, it's basic logic. If you get just one, you won't know what's out there. It's like gambling. Unless you are touching and feeling the blade in person, or I'd not get a blade around that price. I don't think people would get a new car without test driving it. At least I would.

If you HAVE MONEY & HAVE A CHANCE to try some other blades with that money, you'd at least know which is the best among what you've got.

It's not about who please who. I don't need a blade to please myself. It's about what suits who.

It's just my opinion when I pick my pingpong equipment. That's my insight. Not my criticism.

That's how I like to pick my women too.  I prefer to sample them first.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2005 at 2:05am

Originally posted by Vassily Vassily wrote:

However, i will make a special exception for the Hurricane King, because its supposed to be a clone of a cheaper blade. So why not get that cheaper blade instead? Unless its somehow better?

Because you can't pretend like you're wang liquin unless you get the blade he endorses (as opposed to uses which I'm sure is still the stiga offensive but maybe with a new dhs handle). 

What percentage of these blades sold as a combo do you suppose will come with hurricane 2 on the fh and hammond on the bh?  And what percentage of them do you suppose the owner will actually continue to use?  Maybe the first percentage will be higher than the second.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2005 at 2:10am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

That's how I like to pick my women too. I prefer to sample them first.

hahaha that's funny. But that's exactly what I was saying. I got a chance to sample a variety of blades.
Explorer kinetic SC
729 Higher
Sriver EL
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2006 at 12:09pm
I've used it with 2.1 mm tacfire-C on my forehand, and 1.9 mm sriver-Fx on my backhand. I use speed glue to make it faster. I use Thinner when I want remove the rubber after playing so that the wood won't peel of. It's much better than HWL in terms of ball feeling.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Balint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2006 at 6:13am

Thanks Peter79  !

Can you please measure your blade blade ?. I have the other "Liqin Clones" :)

weight thickness widht height

Stiga Offensive CR 90 5,5 15,1 15,8

DHS H-WL 90 5,9 15,1 16

Nittaku ANV

86 6,5 15,2 16,1

Can you tell me more what's the difference beetween the king and the HWL ?

I TRIED Hwl and tackifire C together . I didn'T like it. I don't like Tackifire C on anything anyway :)

Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit
FH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
BH: DHS SKYLINE 3 2.2mm
Glue SZIKO PREMIUM SPEED ;-)
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2006 at 6:58am
My best friend has a Hurricane King. I did not find it that heavy in hand. It's fast as hell though... I like that in a blade.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2006 at 10:27am
Hello Balint,
I measured it with digital weight measurement. The weight is 86 gr, it's the same weight as written in the Red card.
The thickness is 5.8mm, 15,1 and 16.
The difference between HWL and Hurricane King:
1. The handle of Hurricane king is smoother, and not easily change color (because of sweat) compared with HWL.
2. THe wood of Hurricane king is not varnished like HWL, so you must becareful to remove the rubber with thinner, other wise the wood will be ripped by the rubber.
3. Because HWL is being varnished, the wood become harder that loose ball feeling, hurricane king altough is not as fast as HWL it has more control when you block, loop, and   counter. The contact between the ball is longer.

I also realize that the gold simbol with serial number is plastic wrapped to prevent it from changing color.
I've tried skyline 2 and H3 on it, but it's very heavy.
I hope the tackfire C soft is better than Tackfire C.

I'm planning to buy Nittaku blade, could you suggest me which is better between Nittaku Violin and Nittaku Acoustic? Have you tried them both?

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

fraushai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fraushai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2008 at 8:19am
There's no way that the Hurricane King is slower than the Nittaku Violin/Acoustic.

I own the Nittaku Acoustic with FH Tenergy 05 and BH Xiom Omega III (Asian) as well as the Hurricane King (with H3 on both sides). The Hurricane King combination is waaay faster than the Acoustic and bear in mind that Tenergy/Omega III is much faster than H3...

Overal I would say that Hurricane King is THE blade for the all-out offensive player, but it's too fast for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic