Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Brave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Brave
    Posted: 08/24/2010 at 4:47pm
Hi,
I have played with joola brave for almost 20 hours so I think some of you may appreciate some feedback on it.

Rubber characteristics:
Chinese rubber, but not the classic. Who knows Haifu Shark 2, than this is very close.
The sponge is 36degrees of haifu scale. But it looks more dense that the sponge of blue whale. Yellow colour. Topsheet is soft and thin. Tackiness is there, but only mild, it can stick the plastic sheet (non sticky one) quite easily when new, but after 20 hours, the plastic protective sheet holds on the rubber very lightly.
It comes with glue on the sponge, but the layer is thinner than on BW2.

It is supposed to be the rubber for european players.

Speed: it is slightly slower than Acuda S1 max, with less catapult effect. But faster than DHS NEO series. Maybe some hard versions of BW2 would be faster.

Spin: need some adjustments, the soft topsheet has different behaviour and need different approach (comparing to H3neo and others). With that on mind, the spin is excellent. Brushing is not effective, needs forward motion and going deeper into the rubber. Although the spin is great, the feeling of the spin in the hand (knowing how much I put on the ball) is not that great, like with H3neo. The feeling, because of soft topsheet, is not direct.

Counter hits, flat hits, drives - this rubber performs very well, it is amazing to know, that this comes from China. Quite hard (medium to hard) sponge accelerate the ball when driving and acts like repulsive material, so the shots are less affected by the incoming spin. But it tends to "kick" the ball behind the table. Awareness needed.

Serving is different because of the soft sponge, but after adjustments it is great. Receiving is even better, esp. with putting some spin on the ball. Not good rubber for those, who almost every serve receive with chop (incl. push with underspin on the table).

There is nothing special to say. Joola Brave has everything what modern offensive rubbers needs. It is fast, but not blazingly fast, it is spinny, and the more power you put into the topspin, the higher spin in it(not like Baracuda, when more forward power means less spin).
Nice blocking, even hitting. It just needs little bit of adjustments, as every rubber. It has definitely chance to compete with other rubbers, tenergy included, but again, every rubber needs some adjustments, so Brave does.

Oh, the throw is little bit higher than acuda S1 but not very high, about medium high trajectory.

There are 2 things I would improve. The tackiness is on minimum level. It is still good, because it is less prone to wet and other ugly conditions. But it looks it will not last long.
The second negative thing could be the durability. Softter topsheets can wear down much faster.

I played with it mostly on BH side and the blades were BT777 and Kokutaku 1ply Bishu hinoki (too fast, some unforced errors occured )

few pictures here:
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000715.JPG
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000716.JPG
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000717.JPG
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000718.JPG
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000719.JPG

the weight of cut rubber (160x152 is 50 grams)

Edited by tomas.gt - 08/24/2010 at 4:50pm
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Sponsored Links

DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2010 at 5:14pm
Thanks, very informative review.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
Zo k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zo k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2010 at 5:58pm
Tomas.gt,good review! Can you compare Joola Brave and Grip-S in terms of speed,weight and durability?
OSP Ultimate 3 CRW ST
Victas V>01 Limber max
Victas V>01 Limber 2.0
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 12:01am
Great review Tomas! Thanks for adding the pictures too. I was hoping for a harder sponge than 36 degrees... but is that on the Haifu scale or some other scale? FYI I have ordered a sheet of Joola Phenix for my bh so I will certainly review and post my thoughts here!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 4:42am
My sheet of Grip-s had written on the sponge "36°" and it was slower and less accurate then brave (on carbon blades, it was much better, though). Grip-s became softer after few months. Topsheet of Grip-S is very very durable(I think brave will not last 100hours, but grip-s can make it longer. But I only guess with brave!). The weight was similar when new, 48-50grams cut. After some extra tuning it became larger and after some extra cuts it weights about 44grams cut..
I read that grip-s can have harder sponge than 36deg., so harder would be faster..maybe close to brave.

Yes, the scale is haifu scale. However, the brave sponge is not porous like BW2 sponge, so it feels more firm than 36 BW2 sponge.
see this:
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/grips/P1000200.JPG
http://storage.suchdol.net/akh/fotky/pinec/brave/P1000720_large.JPG
As I said, brave is for european players, harder sponge would not serve that purpose.
Zo k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zo k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 5:14am
Thanks! Joola Brave comes in 1.9mm i 2.1mm thickness.Whitch is better for 7-ply all wood blade on FH in your opinion? I don't want too bouncu rubber. 
OSP Ultimate 3 CRW ST
Victas V>01 Limber max
Victas V>01 Limber 2.0
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 5:53am
I dont know ;) I heard that 1.9mm is slower and more allround rubber. I think 2.1mm should not harm you, it is not the fastest rubber around. For my 7ply avalox 2.1mm works very well.
Zo k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zo k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 5:59pm
Tonight I get the same rubber like tomas.gt(Joola Brave black 2.1mm for 28USD).
Here pics:

Left:Baracuda 2.0  Right:Brave 2.1

Edited by Zo k - 08/26/2010 at 3:53am
OSP Ultimate 3 CRW ST
Victas V>01 Limber max
Victas V>01 Limber 2.0
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2010 at 11:37pm
Barely looks tacky at all.  Not to mention the sponge is too soft.  I was really hoping that Brave was going to be exactly like a faster version of Drum.

Drum was already a great rubber, they should have continued with it.  So disappointing.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2010 at 12:11am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Barely looks tacky at all.  Not to mention the sponge is too soft.  I was really hoping that Brave was going to be exactly like a faster version of Drum.

Drum was already a great rubber, they should have continued with it.  So disappointing.

+1
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2010 at 8:54pm
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but thought I'd share my poor experience with Brave.

I put a sheet of 2.1 on my FH about a week ago and was initially not very impressed. The top-sheet was only mildly tacky and very thin. Nothing special about the sponge; couldn't detect any "tuned" feel.

Aggressive blocking seems to be the strong suit for this rubber and flat hitting was decent as well. Not blazing fast but pretty good pace with good control. As the top-sheet is only mildly tacky with a medium hard sponge, it's hard to generate much spin with a typical Chinese rubber stroke.

Huge drawback to this rubber is the thin fragile top-sheet. After about 6 hours of play the edges began to chip from the occasional miss-hit (off-center ball contact only, not table). Then after 10 hours of play the rubber began to crack in the center. I am a pretty hard hitter and loop kill is my weapon of choice, but cracks in the top-sheet after a week of play is pretty silly in my opinion. Possibly I got a bad batch, but I'd have to say with the world of rubber options available, stay far away from Joola Brave.

YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2010 at 11:54pm
Is this still active post ? Anybody using this ?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 12:23am
Couple of questions
Was your defective sheet glued with Rubber Cement/VOC glue or with Water based glue?
What other rubber did it play similar to?

(sponge looks like Golden Cake, BTW)

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2010 at 7:54am
I changed the blade and I couldnt handle it easily, so I sold it, however I still have it in my closet (new sheet), maybe I will go back, one day.
fructu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fructu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 8:54pm
Look, I'm going to try Brave 2,1 mm black and I'lll post some feedback soon.

I've just made some hits with a ball at home and first impressions are amazing (fast, not too much tacky, mid-soft&elastic). One thing more, I'll try that rubber tuned with paraffine oil. I know it's allready tuned but I just wanted to try it my own way, furthermore the rubber seems to respond extremely well to my tunning process, I mean the rubber bends and expands a lot.

I'll keep in touch.
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 2:10am
Does anyone know if the Brave is the same as the Palio Thor?  The sponge and top sheet look similar. 

Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by jasonz jasonz wrote:

Does anyone know if the Brave is the same as the Palio Thor?  The sponge and top sheet look similar. 

It's my understanding that Brave is sold by a German Company (Joola) and manufactured by a Chinese Company (Tuttle/Haifu).

Unlike Thor's which is sold by a Chinese Company (Palio) and manufactured by a German Company (ESN).

So while they both might be trying to be modern "Chinese/Euro" hybrids, they are approaching it from different ends.

And it's a shame that the other guy never answered whether he used VOCs or Tuned to get his brave to Crack.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
mil View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 8:26pm
Hi, I think Brave is crap, I used in in red and 2.1. It has a soft feel, has a lot of catapult but little power and the spin is average. I do not see a reason to play this rubber.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

It's my understanding that Brave is sold by a German Company (Joola) and manufactured by a Chinese Company (Tuttle/Haifu).

I agree with you.  Joola contract this Brave to Haifu.  I agree with some of you that Brave is better than H3 NEO.  I like it.  It's more responsive than most Hurricane (untuned) rubbers.

I agree that it's a little bit soft and slow, but it's still better than BW2 and H2/H3 NEO.  So, I like it better.

Edited by speedy - 02/08/2011 at 8:46pm
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 2:14pm
How does brave compare with Drum CWX?
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2011 at 3:49pm
how does this compare to thor's?
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2011 at 3:56pm
The picture at the top of the post look exactly like a sheet of Shark II I had in every respect.  My personal thoughts towards Shark II were that it completely sucked, but I also had a 33* sheet so maybe that was part of it.
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2011 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by jasonz jasonz wrote:

No. Thor’s feels hard, Brave feels soft (though the sponge is rather hard, the topsheet is soft and the feeling is "soft"). With Thor’s you can brushloop, with Brave not.

Originally posted by mil mil wrote:

Hi, I think Brave is crap, I used in in red and 2.1. It has a soft feel, has a lot of catapult but little power and the spin is average. I do not see a reason to play this rubber.
Exactly. I couldn’t describe it better. If you want something like Brave in "good", then buy Tibhar Genius.

Edited by Klaus123 - 10/23/2011 at 7:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic