Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Cutting rubbers' technique ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lixiaoduo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lixiaoduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting rubbers' technique ...
    Posted: 12/16/2012 at 8:48pm
Sponsored Links

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I use #4 exacto blade and get a very clean cut with 2 strokes. I wait 1 hour before cutting rubber to allow glue to set up hard. Anyone having difficulty with rough edge can use #400 grit sandpaper to smooth it out being careful not to sand the blade edge. There is no right way per say whatever works best for you.
What is that   "#4 exacto blade " would you please post pics if possible?
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 3:22pm
becareful with the speed glue, it will expand sponge like crazy, after you do the perfect cut, then a reglue, the rubber becomes smaller.

my exp with T05 was like that.

Cutting part is easy.  Put the rubber upside down, blade on the sponge, use a pen to trace the line. Use the utility knife cut on the line while the blade is still there, don't do it all the way.  ... Becareful, don't cut the edge of the blade!!!  the final step is to take a pair of sharp scissors and cut on the line.

Now you ready to glue, I recommend Yes! Paste.  But it takes forever to dryConfused One more thing, when cleaning the Yes! Paste off the blade, it might cause some wooden blade to change splinter, then you have to let dry and sandConfused

Hope that helps LOL

cheers

tsa

Edited by tsanyc - 11/05/2010 at 3:28pm
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 3:10pm
I have cut Boost TP with a knife. The blade is 3/4" high and segmented to break off the dull piece. I keep a very flat angle and use 3 to 4 strokes (depending on the fragility of the sponge).
The result was as good as with any other rubber EXCEPT two rubbers that have a sponge that likes to break apart: Optimum MP and Gambler Outlaw (2nd gen.)
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Parth.Nayak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parth.Nayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 2:49pm
can boost TC can be cut using blades? I once tried and ended up with rubber looking like a mess Cry this time I dont want to take a chance so let me know your comments please .......
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 2:28pm
Salloms way seems to be the best. I cut many rubbers using this technique (tenergy, stiga almana sound, pips out, all kinds of dhs and 729). You just have to have gentle hands, don't press too hard on the rubber, let it cut instead of tear. Also try getting a low angle with the table surface because the cutter blade will have more contact, cutting it gently.  Water on the blade helps but form my experience saliva is way better than water. The cut is almost factory like. Another thing to keep in mind is that in order to cut clean at the edges of rubber sheet you must cut from outside into the rubber, otherwise it will stretch and tear. 
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 12:39pm
I use #4 exacto blade and get a very clean cut with 2 strokes. I wait 1 hour before cutting rubber to allow glue to set up hard. Anyone having difficulty with rough edge can use #400 grit sandpaper to smooth it out being careful not to sand the blade edge. There is no right way per say whatever works best for you.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by wkm1 wkm1 wrote:

No video just 2 pictures,  how you sand the rubber (above)  and the result

I bet you can't get a better, straighter and cleaner cut with a knife scissor.

What all these tools for Shocked but nice cut eventually  
My Feedback

wkm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2010 at 1:12am
No video just 2 pictures,  how you sand the rubber (above)  and the result

I bet you can't get a better, straighter and cleaner cut with a knife scissor.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 12:15pm
What about Vaseline ? Wink
My Feedback

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 9:03am
That's odd, but yeah water on the knife might do the trick, I guess a little couple of drops of baby oil or something to smoothen it wouldn't hurt either
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 8:50am
That method works on every other sponge I have done too, but Calibra gets a few 1/2 cm tears in the sponge around the edge when you cut in this way. It seems to stick to the knife and pull. A friend suggested oiling or moistening the knife, I will be cutting some more in the next few days so may try it.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 8:43am
No ?:) but it works the same on every other million sheets I've cut
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 8:29am

Was that on Calibra nicefrog?

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 6:40am
I use a blade like the video above and a chopping board (nylon or plastic) but use a decent sharp 9mm box cutter blade one cut right round sssssss done the end, perfect as you want. Snap the blade to a new one each to you do a new rubber

Edited by nicefrog - 10/29/2010 at 6:41am
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 5:44am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

I would be interested to know if anyone has a way of cutting Calibra (or Sound) without making it look like they have chewed through the sponge. It you try to cut the sponge in one, you get 3 or 4 little tears in the sponge around the edge. If you take a few passes to cut through the sponge it shreds the edge. And yes I was using a very sharp knife.

I guess it would be no problem if you went gentle the first few strokes.. before making the video I did cut 2x Tibhar sinus alpha, it was fine doing the same method also.. I think it works for every rubber, since I tried it from the softest (roundel soft, solcion) to the hardest (spinart, TG3, H3) works well.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 5:01am
I would be interested to know if anyone has a way of cutting Calibra (or Sound) without making it look like they have chewed through the sponge. It you try to cut the sponge in one, you get 3 or 4 little tears in the sponge around the edge. If you take a few passes to cut through the sponge it shreds the edge. And yes I was using a very sharp knife.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Tobhik Tobhik wrote:

the cutter is not sharp, a sharp cutter will cut in only 2 movement and looks like he cuts a chunk of wood also?

Mine? it was new and sharp.. the rubber is very hard and also porous.. no didn't cut any wood, removed some buildup glue which bothered my cutting path.

Hurricane Hao III
Tobhik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobhik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 3:36am
the cutter is not sharp, a sharp cutter will cut in only 2 movement and looks like he cuts a chunk of wood also?

LP ox
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Pioneer Pioneer wrote:

Originally posted by shakepender shakepender wrote:

yes... sallom's method (per his video clip) is the sensible way to do it... and the finish is very good too.
in spite of being jealous, I should agree with you Cool

Hahahhaha :D

Hurricane Hao III
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 7:11pm

yes... sallom's method (per his video clip) is the sensible way to do it... and the finish is very good too.
in spite of being jealous, I should agree with you Cool
My Feedback

shakepender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 6:26am
Viscaria : Omg IV Pro / Omg IV Euro

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 3:48am

The guy in the shop that I bought my tt blade and rubbers from in Taiwan used a quite flexible blade to cut round the tt blade in 2 to 3 quick large movements whilst turning the tt blade at the same time... over a glass table top. The blade of the knife was bent with only the cutting part against the tt blade.

Of course... he does this a few times a day! The rubber is slightly over the wooden edge of the tt blade.
flexible blade like sallom89's in his video ? the really issue here that it makes scratches to the table even it's a glass one ... and by the way, did he charge you for cutting ?

Yes, similar blade... he just did it in 2 to 3 quick movements but he would be doing this a few times a day. I don't think I would be able to do it... the finished outcome was perfectly smooth & even.

No, he doesn't charge for cutting & gluing if you buy from his shop.
me too I don't think I would be able to do it, because I'm afraid to sabotage the rubber and it's expensive, so I go for my scissors, but I think one day I will put a rubber at risk and try cutting by cutter, hope I don't regret that Smile
My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 10:17pm

The guy in the shop that I bought my tt blade and rubbers from in Taiwan used a quite flexible blade to cut round the tt blade in 2 to 3 quick large movements whilst turning the tt blade at the same time... over a glass table top. The blade of the knife was bent with only the cutting part against the tt blade.

Of course... he does this a few times a day! The rubber is slightly over the wooden edge of the tt blade.
flexible blade like sallom89's in his video ? the really issue here that it makes scratches to the table even it's a glass one ... and by the way, did he charge you for cutting ?

Yes, similar blade... he just did it in 2 to 3 quick movements but he would be doing this a few times a day. I don't think I would be able to do it... the finished outcome was perfectly smooth & even.

No, he doesn't charge for cutting & gluing if you buy from his shop.

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 10:05am

Edited by Pioneer - 10/27/2010 at 6:48pm
My Feedback

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 9:03am
 Sorry to post this again (this time the video, not the thread).. because it seems that many people need to see it.

Edited by Sallom89 - 10/27/2010 at 9:05am

Hurricane Hao III

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 8:46am

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 10:48pm
 The only problem is getting started by the handle because the handle is in the way.
Totally agree with you Smile
My Feedback

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 12:41pm
I used an exacto knife in the past but the cuts were rough in places where I had to go over the same spot more than once or the scissors were cutting through pips.  I use scissors now.  Scissor make a nice smooth cut.  The only problem is getting started by the handle because the handle is in the way.   When cutting I make short cuts using the most efficient part of the scissors and I follow the profile of the blade.
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 9:53am
I think to outline then cut the rubber is more difficult than glue and cut, as it needs a steady hand Wink
and after gluing the rubber becomes stretched and that will increase the margin ... 

Edited by Pioneer - 10/26/2010 at 1:00pm
My Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic