Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Avalox Fan Club - please check in here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bennybenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avalox Fan Club - please check in here!
    Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:26pm
I did a search and didn't see any posts for an Avalox fan club, so I decided to start one. Avalox fans, please check in here and share what you have and talk about your experiences.

I started playing with Avalox after I decided to get back into table tennis this year. I found a coach that helped me develop an all-round attacking style, but then I realized that my gear wasn't cutting it anymore. I used to play an all-out attacking style, but that was back when I was a younger man, when the ball was 38mm, when we still had the 21 point format and before all the equipment changes. I was using an OFF+ Donic blade (discontinued Peter Franz GTR) and I noticed it had hardly any dwell so it was only really good for flat hits. I did some research and realized that I should get something slower to work on my topspin game. I decided to check out some all wood blades, and I'm really glad I did.

I started with a Galaxy MC-2 which had great control, but was a bit on the slower side at somewhere between OFF- and OFF. I bought the Avalox P700 and BT777 for a little extra speed, and I haven't looked back. The two blades are similar with good power, dwell and spin with the BT777 coming in a tad faster, but not by much. The blades are nicely balanced for close table attacks or mid distance topspins with a throw angle that I can handle. These blades have fit very well with the style of play the coach is helping me develop. My P700 is my main setup with the BT777 as a backup. As an experiment, I went back to my Donic blade for a practice session and I found that it's still way too fast, even with the same current rubber setup and my training. It now feels darn near unplayable.

In a fit of ej madness, I recently ordered the Avalox Ma Wenge C555 because I heard it has a very woody feel for a carbon blade, with the advantages of lower weight and larger sweet spot. Some others on this forum graduated from the P700 to the C555, so the purchase made sense to me. I'll save that blade for after my overall game improves with the coach.
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood FL
Friendship 729 Higher Transcend 2.2 Black
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
Sponsored Links

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 7:58pm
I have Avalox BT550, BT555, P500, P700 and BT777.  I agree with your observation regarding P700 and BT777.  However, I feel that P500 is the best for my style.  It is slower than P700 but offers more feeling.  Of course, P700 is better than modern Stiga Clipper (in term of feel), but may be I am more accustomed to slower blades.

If you are after feeling, then don't change to Ma Wenge, because it is still a carbon blade after all, you lose a bit feeling.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 8:00pm
By the way, I can't say I am a die hard fan of Avalox.  I think the most versatile blade for me is the good old BTY Petr Korbel (with metal tag).

I am itching to try OSP Virtuoso though, but I must stop my EJing because it is not good for my play and my wallet.
tennisfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 8:03pm
Give a review of the p7oo Wink
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 8:13pm
OK, you know Clipper.  I am talking about the new modern Clipper which is 6.8-6.9 mm in thickness (few say it's 7.0 mm).  It is stiff yet soft, so good for short game and heavy fast spin.  However, I found that it is a bit hard to do slow loop (with heavy spin). 

Now, P700 is about 6.2 mm in thickness, thus it is not only softer but also more flexible compared to Clipper.  So you can be more allround in your playing.  It is easier to produce slow loop to fast spin loop.  In other words, it is more versatile to me.  I have heard that the old Clipper (which was around 6 mm) was very good but I don't know why Stiga changed it (probably due to the bigger ball and no speed-glue).

When I say P700 is more flexible compared to Clipper, it is true in comparison between both blades.  However, as a 7-ply blade, P700 is stiffer than common 5-ply blades, such as P500 and Korbel.

In conclusion, P700 is good for short game, looping, hitting and blocking (Clipper is better in this aspect though, due to its thickness).  It is good for inverted and short pips as well.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 9:37pm
lol..oh yes, count me in as I don't want to be in or I'm not a fan/member of any of those "Boycott Btfly Club", Soon-2b-PhD, PhD, Post PhD or MSc clubs. I love my Avalox BT555 as much as my PKorbel. I've had a P700 FL once but I kinda found its handle a tad annoying but would luv 1 of these days to try a BT700 or P700 w/Anatomic handle. If p700 is what u guys claimed to be that good verses the Clipper then it would be just as it's relatively inexpensive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 9:39pm
I heard that Tan Peng use this blade P700
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 11:17pm
I really like the Blue Thunder 555.  It is lightweight, good control, and reasonably fast.  Feels like a true Off- to me.  I'm curious about how different (or similar) the BT777 is? 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 11:23pm
Even as an EJ I liked the BT550 enough to have it as a main blade for over a year. I had been playing an LKT Instinct for years but switched to a DONIC waldner AR for a year or two. At the end of that time, I decided I wanted something that had the flex of the instinct, but some of the touch and speed of the DOTEC AR.  I found the BT550 to be an "upgraded' version of the instinct, with higher grade construction, better top plies (Limba, I think, compared with Ayous) and a notch faster. Not as hard or as stiff as the AR, but more of a looping blade. I actually got the BT550 by "accident" - I ordered a P500 because a friends 10 year old P500 was unbelievably good. However, the newer P500's are too fast (OFF, rather than OFF-) so I settled for a BT550.

When it's all said and done, I think the BT550 falls somewhere between the Stiga Allround Classic  and Offensive Classic, but on LoopCrack. It's not only a better made blade but it is easier to loop with than either, while having much of the touch and feel.

In all, I think the BT series is nicely constructed and finished (it looks a lot like Woodhouse AB blades that Yasaka gets) and the P series appears rough like the current Stigas. But I can't say for certain if the P series is made at Woodhouse AB or if they use Stiga's manufacturing.

I switched to the Virtuoso this summer in part because it feels similar to my BT550, but is a notch faster and flat hits better with equal or better control on most strokes. 

ps
I own a C555 as well, and think it's pretty amazing for a carbon blade, but still too fast. That being said, I firmly believe that the blade's control rivals the modern clippers, but it seems more versatile.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
shakepender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 12:45am
The P700 / BT777 has intrigued me for a while now... would it be possible for someone provide a comparison to the ymlc?

Thanks Smile

Viscaria : Omg IV Pro / Omg IV Euro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 2:01am
doraemon,
I'm not a die hard fan of Avalox blades either, but I like what I've tried from them so far. They match up well with the way I'm playing now and are a great value for the money. Maybe some day I'll find the holy grail blade from Butterfly or Yasaka, but right now Avalox works well for me.

I like the general feeling and feedback of all wood blades right now, but I notice that the amount of vibration bothers me more when playing against higher level players. If the C555 will give me similar control with less vibration (even with a sacrifice in some feeling), I'll be willing to accept that.

The Petr Korbel sounds like a great blade. How does it compare to the P700? How does it compare to the other 5 ply Avalox blades? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bennybenny - 11/15/2010 at 2:05am
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 1:44pm
Here they are ,I am about to order the AVX 777 ( not expensive )

http://avalox.oneofakindtrading.com.au/Blades.php
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 1:48pm

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 1:58pm
In spite of using the BT550 for over a year, I still hate the purple handle.

Why couldn't it just be Blue? Is that too much to ask?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

+1

I don't like the purple either but based on this baby's reputation  that seems insignificant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I put grip tape on my BT777, so the color doesn't really bother me.

chris,
Congrats on ordering the BT777. Let me know what you think of it after you get a chance to hit around with it.
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2010 at 11:44am
Avalox blades are not very popular,is it the marketing as very few retailers sell them

Edited by tennisfreak - 11/17/2010 at 11:46am
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2010 at 12:36pm
as per my knowledge "AVALOX is SAME COMPANY as GLOBE" !!!

could someone agree or contradict? haggisV or someone can throw some light ...on whether AVALOX is just a brand of Globe.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2010 at 1:34pm
This thread need more Avalox blade owners to share their experiences here,I to be honest was never an Avalox fan even though I have read many positive reviews about these blades. The real reason I am trying this blade is simple, I read many good reviews on the DHS pips rubber 652 and for many years I never tested it ,may be  the price was so low ,I thought it could not amount to much,I was wrong ,this rubber remains my BH rubber up to now.
I have overlooked Avalox blades for more hyped up brands and mind you I have had great satisfaction with few but greater disappointment with many . My time has come to test this so called great blade I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

This thread need more Avalox blade owners to share their experiences here,I to be honest was never an Avalox fan even though I have read many positive reviews about these blades. The real reason I am trying this blade is simple, I read many good reviews on the DHS pips rubber 652 and for many years I never tested it ,may be  the price was so low ,I thought it could not amount to much,I was wrong ,this rubber remains my BH rubber up to now.
I have overlooked Avalox blades for more hyped up brands and mind you I have had great satisfaction with few but greater disappointment with many . My time has come to test this so called great blade I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

If you're going to use your BT777 with short pips, then you should be pleased. The reason I started using Avalox was because I used to play short pips on the backhand and I needed a blade that was stiff enough to get a good solid block with the pips but still soft enough for strong topspins. You can't go wrong with a P700 or BT777 for short pips - hitting and blocking are solid and if done right should be disturbing (though not deceptive) to your opponents. I've since changed to inverted on the backhand, but I remain a fan because the blades have such great power and touch that complement my current game.

Edited by Bennybenny - 11/17/2010 at 10:17pm
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2010 at 12:37am
OK, just short review:

BT550:  soft and flexible, in the style of Stiga Allround Classic, but a bit firmer, due to thicker core compared to Stiga Allround Classic.  Good for looping.  Blocking and hitting need to be right on the sweetspot, as it is flexible.  Short game needs gentler touch because of the springy effect.

BT555:  medium in hardness and a bit flexible, in the style of Offensive Classic and Dicon.  It is thicker than OC but about the same thickness as Dicon.  Good for looping.  Better blocking and hitting compared to BT550.  Short game is about the same.  BT555 is constructed of limba - spruce - ayous - spruce - limba.

P500:  similar to BT555 but a bit firmer.  It is constructed of koto - spruce - ayous - spruce - koto, so has a bit of firm feeling.  The spring or catapult effect is also less compared to BT555, so it is better for short game and blocking/hitting. 

I would say that I like P500 better, then BT550 and last BT555 (very similar to Dicon).

Now, the 7-ply:

P700 vs. BT777:  both are constructed from the same materials.  Thickness is about the same.  Both are good for looping, but very good for blocking and hitting (of course, it's 7-ply).  Compared to Stiga Clipper, it is better for looping but a bit worse for blocking/hitting (of course, Clipper is around 6.8-6.9 mm in thickness, while P700 and BT777 are around 6.2 mm in thickness).  They are more solid compared to P500 and BT555, but compared to Clipper, they are a bit flexy.

I would say that I like P700 better compared to BT777.  BT777 has more trampoline/catapult effect.

Weight:
BT550 = 87 - 88 grams
BT555 = 81 grams
P500 = 86 - 87 grams (IIRC)
BT777 = 82 grams
P700 = 89 grams (IIRC)

It's been awhile since I was EJing so my impression was based on the experience back then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 1:32am
doraemon,
I really like my P700, but sometimes I wish I could get a blade a touch slower with a bit more spin and control, given that my style has been developing that way. I assume that the P500 would be great for that? I also see that your favorite overall blade is the Butterfly Petr Korbel. How does the P500 compare to the Korbel?
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2010 at 4:31am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

as per my knowledge "AVALOX is SAME COMPANY as GLOBE" !!!

could someone agree or contradict? haggisV or someone can throw some light ...on whether AVALOX is just a brand of Globe.

The are most certainly not the same company. It seems Globe used to make some bit & pieces for Avalox, but I don't think they have this arrangement anymore. Avalox blades are made in Sweden, Japan and some in China, so perhaps Globe had some involvement with the Chinese made products.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2010 at 10:39am
haggisv :  review would be nice,please!
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 8:15am
After trying these blades ,I can honestly say that the BT 555 will suite most players needs to a creat extent and at a reasonable price...go for it,one of the best blades usually overlooked. 
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2011 at 11:36am
Avalox P700 ST and AVX BT777 here.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 7:27am
Any player here with the BT 777 ? paired with the Bty. Spinart you create a loop-drive monster ... Try it.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2011 at 10:14am
I have a used (good condition) BT555 FL,  86 grams for sale.  If interested PM me.
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 8:28am
Tongue

Edited by tomaca - 07/30/2013 at 7:00am
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 1:59pm
I currently have 3 BT550 my blade of choice when speed glue was around.. also have a p500, BT555, P700 and also had AVX J-tech, J-Aramid, Hado blades... i like all their blades...from the current blades the 555 is faster then all of them the spring in this blade is insane...it is a monster for a mid distance looper...the blade lifts the ball on its own that is how much spring there is in it...i had a couple beforehand and none were this springy and fast...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic