Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Estimating blade stiffness through sound recording
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Estimating blade stiffness through sound recording

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
simone View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2021 at 12:58pm
Sponsored Links

simone View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

here's slevin's thread

we know who started it all here tho, arg0!!!
some doubt on the date... however I talk about the explanations of the prcedure in this topic, exactly the same I used in the manuscript. this can't be a coincidence,
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2021 at 1:14pm
Maybe it's an instance of convergence thinking? 

or convergent evolution: if you give them enough time, table tennis players will knock their bare blade's handle on their skull holding the blade's head on the opposite edges with the thumb and middle finger. Big smile

Edited by stiltt - 03/20/2021 at 1:15pm
simone View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2021 at 1:15pm
I am talking about this topic, in the explanation of the procedure i read the same words I wrote in the manuscript
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2021 at 2:01pm
Too bad wayback saved the thread only once between 2010 and 2017.

What are the words you are referring to?

Edited by stiltt - 03/20/2021 at 2:02pm
simone View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2021 at 10:17am
I opened a thread with the same subject in an italian forum years ago

ok is in italian, but... same questions, same answers... same numbers.... what a coincidence..

thejnal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2021 at 5:08am
Im am physics teacher. The measuring makes no sence. The frequency depends eg on where you hold the bat or where you hit it. The stiffness has nothing to do with frequency. Sorry.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2021 at 5:23am
Have you actually tried? You would be surprised: the dependency you talk about is minimal for the main frequency. Just keep your grip loose.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2021 at 6:22am
Originally posted by thejnal thejnal wrote:

Im am physics teacher. The measuring makes no sence. The frequency depends eg on where you hold the bat or where you hit it. The stiffness has nothing to do with frequency. Sorry.

I'm no teacher, but one thing I know is that when we are conducting an experiment, a set of ground rules must be established, in order to control the variables and produce results that can be comparable with each other. There were so many arguments you could've made, but managing where and how you hit the blade are the easiest ones to control, so they aren't gonna be the reason to invalidate this test.

By the way, have you tried to measure this variation yourself? Because I can tell you it won't be much.
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2021 at 6:54am
It's quite scary how similar blades measure almost identical. I have a TBS black tag, Yinhe V14pro and a Yinhe D715 which is all very similar blade and they all measure around 1425-1450hz, their manufacturing year, weight handle are different but they measure the same.

But I wouldn't give too much thought to the test either, it's good for a general idea I think. Like above mentioned blades measure 1425hz+, but my Joola Trinity only measures "only" 1400hz. However the Trinity is significantly stiffer and faster in actual play. An 1300hz  Fang Bo carbon doesn't feel only 7-8% slower, it's much much slower and flexier.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2021 at 7:22am

Besides, I had given for granted that you were questioning the blade being hold by hand and the variable contact point.
As to the overall approach, there are several scientific publications on the subject, where the blade is clamped. The latest I am aware of are by Manin et al in Proc. Conf. International Sports Engineering Association (ISEA), but I have not kept up to date.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2021 at 9:19pm
from a statistical standpoint, I would think you might want to get a good number of bounces recorded for analysis. A good algorithm would have you it remove your hand and re grab the blade, then bounce it a few times and repeat the process; then take averages or whatever. Seems like it would be more realistic than trying to find a standard clamp. You will be holding the blade in your hand with a lot of variation as you play

Edited by cole_ely - 06/15/2021 at 9:21pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
simone View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2021 at 4:50am

I am an egineer
trust me ... try it, try to repeat the test few times and compare the outcome (should be about the same), and with the feeling when using that blade.
should not hit the ball on the edge of the blade, (as when when you play).
Obviously it is not a laboratory test, but reliable for the purpose.
just for curiosity, give a look at the video

and

I found the test easy to make and useful

Edited by simone - 09/18/2021 at 5:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic